PDA

View Full Version : All the AYCE Sushi restaurants (and prices) in Calgary?

Chojo
07-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Hey guys! I'm just trying to figure out how many AYCE Sushi restaurants there are in this city.

The ones I know of so far are:

Sushi and BBQ Inn on 16th: $27, terrible service
Sushi King on 16th: $25 i think, it was meh
Sushi Ichiban on Mcleod: $23, meh
Sushi Kai on somewhere...: $25 dinner, $19 lunch, never went there
Sushi & BBQ on Mcleod: $25 dinner, $15 lunch, never been but super enticed by the cheap lunch...

I'm probably missing another 10 restaurants :rolleyes: Do you think you guys can help me complete this list? Also, lemme know what you think of the restaurants as well! :D

know1edge
07-21-2011, 05:18 PM
did sushi bbq inn close? drove by and saw their logo gone

also missed sushi tokyo, in dragon city mall

Artega
07-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Wednesday night at Grey Eagle.
Asian night buffet with all you can eat sashimi.

Quality is not bad if you don't mind the wait.
$25 ??

Chojo
07-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by know1edge
did sushi bbq inn close? drove by and saw their logo gone

also missed sushi tokyo, in dragon city mall

I sure hope they had to close down, those greedy SOBs! They charged our group of 12 people for 13 dinners because the waitress "though she saw 13"... fricking idiots. They wouldn't even budge after 20 minutes of trying to get it through their stupid heads that there was never 13 people there.

Anyways, yeah I've seen Sushi Tokyo actually! Isn't it $19.99 or something? How is it? From what my friends have told me, it is very bad....

know1edge
07-21-2011, 11:10 PM
They have 2 different prices, lunch and dinner I think.
I believe lunch is $20 dinner is $27

I've only ever been to 3 ayce spots, Sushi Tokyo is probably in between Sushi BBQ and Sushi Ichiban

Xtrema
07-22-2011, 12:46 AM
Sushi Tokyo was very bad but last time I was there was at least more than a year ago.

taemo
07-22-2011, 06:31 AM
does Sumo Lounge in Eau Claire still have AYCE sushi after 5pm?

1barA4
07-22-2011, 12:29 PM
Sushi Kai is ok, selection is fairly meager (excluding the fact that they have a tempura roll). Better than Sushi BBQ Inn which is pretty much like saying it's better than eating from a dumpster.

I'd say Kai is on par with Tokyo which isn't saying much but that's what you get for AYCE Sushi (in this town).

Xtrema
07-22-2011, 01:50 PM
AYCE is still pretty good @ Ichiban IMO other than they tends to cut back the fish:rice ratio when you do AYCE. But quality is ok.

KandabashiDevil
07-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Sushi Tokyo was very bad but last time I was there was at least more than a year ago.

Sushi Tokyo was easily one of the worst eating experiences I've ever had. I shorted my server by exactly $1 to prove my point. Writing the details of my visit would only enrage me to the point of vandalism, so I'll skip the essay ...

calgary403
07-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by KandabashiDevil

Sushi Tokyo was easily one of the worst eating experiences I've ever had. I shorted my server by exactly $1 to prove my point. Writing the details of my visit would only enrage me to the point of vandalism, so I'll skip the essay ...

Tell the story!!

Speed_69
07-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Sushi Tokyo is the worst sushi I've ever eaten. I haven't eaten there in years. Surprised that this place is still open.

Even if the AYCE was $5, I still wouldn't go back.

dj_patm
07-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Sushi King was solid for AYCE

masoncgy
07-22-2011, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
AYCE is still pretty good @ Ichiban IMO other than they tends to cut back the fish:rice ratio when you do AYCE. But quality is ok.

They also like to forget that you exist when you order AYCE... one order of food for the table and then they disappear...

adam c
07-23-2011, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by masoncgy

They also like to forget that you exist when you order AYCE... one order of food for the table and then they disappear...

Sounds like my experience at the Sushi and BBQ on MacLeod

Chojo
07-23-2011, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by KandabashiDevil

Please share!! :D

I've always heard that this place is terrible, but I've never heard any first hand experiences from there.... TELL US EVERYTHING!

MugenBB6
07-23-2011, 06:39 PM
There use to be one on Edmonton trail that was actually owned by a japanese family. There was just one chef and one waiter. Awesome authentic japanese food. But I think they sold it now. Foods not the same. Was a really small place too.

jeffabc18
07-26-2011, 01:55 AM
i consider myself an AYCE expert, i have tried all in the first post and some more. On the list, ichiban is the best, however the overall best is Sumo on 10th ave, its right beside the Whiskey. Its $23. The cuts of fish are very generous and rolls are large but still excellent, dont order too many giant rolls they are huge. I encourage all to try, this place doesnt get the recognition it deserves. They close 9 usually and last call at about 830. Please all go try, and id like to hear what you guys think. Ciao

cream
07-26-2011, 03:05 AM
Sushi King has a coupon until the end of July for 4 for 5 deal. So save 25$ on your bill. Just had it today. It's in an asian newspaper though.. but I saw some at their entrance.

MugenBB6
07-26-2011, 12:47 PM
^ Sumo 10 is awesome

Billy2K
05-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Bump. Any new AYCE sushi places?

Sushi King is closed.

We've tried:

Sushi and BBQ Inn on 16th
Sushi Ichiban on Macleod
Sushi & BBQ on Macleod

clem24
05-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Billy2K
Bump. Any new AYCE sushi places?

Sushi King is closed.

We've tried:

Sushi and BBQ Inn on 16th
Sushi Ichiban on Macleod
Sushi & BBQ on Macleod

Happily, Sushi Kai is gone. No new ones. And they still all suck shit. /thread

jwslam
05-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Grey eagle asian night (wednesdays)?
Sushi Tokyo in Dragon city still does it I think.

There's another ichiban at westbrook mall. Probably similar if not identical to macloed location.

muse017
05-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
Grey eagle asian night (wednesdays)?
Sushi Tokyo in Dragon city still does it I think.

There's another ichiban at westbrook mall. Probably similar if not identical to macloed location.

think twice before you go to Sushi Tokyo place unless you want some fresh roch sushi lol

Disoblige
05-15-2013, 03:19 PM
The only way I'd see a decent AYCE sushi place in Calgary is if they tried to offer decent quality sashimi, sushi and hot food for ~$50-60 per person.

It might work in Calgary, depending what the atmosphere is like. Hopefully not a bunch of teenagers and bad service.

clem24
05-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
The only way I'd see a decent AYCE sushi place in Calgary is if they tried to offer decent quality sashimi, sushi and hot food for ~$50-60 per person.

It might work in Calgary, depending what the atmosphere is like. Hopefully not a bunch of teenagers and bad service.

NO ONE will pay that much for AYCE. Think about it.. I can very happily eat exactly what I want for LESS than that at the best sushi place in Calgary and come out absolutely stuffed. Think they'll offer uni or aji for $50 or $60? Never.

Disoblige
05-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by clem24

NO ONE will pay that much for AYCE. Think about it.. I can very happily eat exactly what I want for LESS than that at the best sushi place in Calgary and come out absolutely stuffed. Think they'll offer uni or aji for $50 or $60? Never.
I agree with you mostly, but $40-50 brunches exist and they're not exactly breathtaking either but they get in people.

I think given the mood, $50 to stuff yourself on decent quality sashimi and other food would be worth it to a lot of people.

I did it in HK, although it was only ~$35, and they had a lot to offer + free beer. If they had this in Calgary, I'd pay $50.

The only problem is how frequent people would want to do this. Return visits may be few in between.

DEATH2000
05-15-2013, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

I agree with you mostly, but $40-50 brunches exist and they're not exactly breathtaking either but they get in people.

I think given the mood, $50 to stuff yourself on decent quality sashimi and other food would be worth it to a lot of people.

I did it in HK, although it was only ~$35, and they had a lot to offer + free beer. If they had this in Calgary, I'd pay $50.

The only problem is how frequent people would want to do this. Return visits may be few in between.
If they included free beer and some other food items I would consider paying $50.

spikerS
05-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by DEATH2000

If they included free beer and some other food items I would consider paying $50.

If they included free beer, I would not even bother with the sushi...