PDA

View Full Version : Part Time Language

TheRealTimHorton
07-22-2011, 01:12 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone here knows a good resource for learning a secondary language but not having a lot of time every day to commit?

If it depends on the language, then specifically mandarin.

l/l/rX
07-22-2011, 02:10 PM
I was thinking about doing a mandarin course at the UofC in the fall if thats even possible for me as I'm not a student. But I can't imagine it being more than twice a week for a couple hours at a time?

I think i'll just call the UofC to get more information on this sort of thing.

Machi
07-25-2011, 08:28 AM
Check out MRU. I know that they offer Mandarin and other languages through their Continuing Ed courses.
I think it's something like one class per week, and it's held in the evenings.

chkolny541
07-25-2011, 10:52 PM
read the title, instantly thought it would be chinese haha

Good luck learning a language part time, the problem wouldnt be finding a course, it would be actually learning anything really. Mandarin would already be a tough language ad if you think you can commit 2 hours a week and actually learn anything then good luck with that.

Ive studied both russian and german, and both are very tough to learn (mandarin i imagine to be wayyy tougher). Russian i took at u of c, 3 hours a week and took away basically next to nothing. German on the other hand i studied on exchange in Austria, and i was able to take a 4 week intensive course, 5 hours/day , 5 days a week. I actually learned a hell of a lot more of the language in 4 weeks, then 3 months at the uofc.

TheRealTimHorton
07-26-2011, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by chkolny541
read the title, instantly thought it would be chinese haha

Good luck learning a language part time, the problem wouldnt be finding a course, it would be actually learning anything really. Mandarin would already be a tough language ad if you think you can commit 2 hours a week and actually learn anything then good luck with that.

Ive studied both russian and german, and both are very tough to learn (mandarin i imagine to be wayyy tougher). Russian i took at u of c, 3 hours a week and took away basically next to nothing. German on the other hand i studied on exchange in Austria, and i was able to take a 4 week intensive course, 5 hours/day , 5 days a week. I actually learned a hell of a lot more of the language in 4 weeks, then 3 months at the uofc.

I believe this.. It's not what I wanted to hear but its understandable.

Would you say that exchange is probably the best way to pick up a second language?

l/l/rX
07-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by TheRealTimHorton

Would you say that exchange is probably the best way to pick up a second language?

If you have the time and money then being in the country in which you want to learn the language is always the best option. My friend taught english in china for 3 months and his mandarin was superb afterwards (he's caucasian)

Nakadah
07-26-2011, 04:59 PM
Forget it! You are not going to learn anything with part-time. Even if you learn some grammar and vocabulary you will forget them pretty fast. The only way to learn another language is to be on the location where it is spoken and struggle speaking it every single day. People will be laughing at you and they will not be understanding you, but this is the way to go if you really want to learn it.

chkolny541
08-01-2011, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by TheRealTimHorton

hell yes, i didnt know a word of german (besides "danke shoon" lol) and was actually able to understand and speak quite a bit after the exchange. Im not able to have a fluent conversation, but in terms of "getting by" i was pretty good. Languages are tough, being in austria def made it easier, but you still need to commit large amounts of time to it.

Merritt
08-03-2011, 12:58 AM
Speaking of languages, I hear that bilingual employees get paid more.

CompletelyNumb
08-03-2011, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Merritt
Speaking of languages, I hear that bilingual employees get paid more.

verdadero.

I suggest Rosetta Stone. Honestly.

Myrrinda
08-03-2011, 06:45 PM
You are also likely to lose the language if you don't continue using it. I took French alll the way through to grade 12, I can't speak a word of it anymore.