PDA

View Full Version : Interior paint, brands/quality? does it matter for white?

Crymson
07-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Hey, hopefully someone can give some info to me on interior paint.

I'm going to be painting alot of my house (kitchen, hallways, livingroom) an eggshell white. Normally, i've just gone to home depot and bought cheap paint. Is there a difference to "expensive" paint? What's good/bad/worth it? Even for white?

sputnik
07-22-2011, 02:53 PM
When it comes to paint.

You get what you pay for.

The stuff I really like to use is the Manor Hall Timeless (PPG) from Totem.

Also... ALWAYS paint walls using flat/matte. Looks much classier than eggshell.

Crymson
07-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Are you a painter? How come they look classier?

DENZILDON
07-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
Hey, hopefully someone can give some info to me on interior paint.

I'm going to be painting alot of my house (kitchen, hallways, livingroom) an eggshell white. Normally, i've just gone to home depot and bought cheap paint. Is there a difference to "expensive" paint? What's good/bad/worth it? Even for white?

The more expensive brands will have better coverage and protection.

Flat sheen will cover more of your wall imperfections. The more shinier you go like satin/semi-gloss/high-gloss will show more of the imperfections as light will bend showing the imperfection.

That being said, the shinier the paint the more protection you have and easier to clean. If you notice the trims and doors has a shinier sheen. Kitchens and bathrooms are also has a shinier sheen as well.

Crymson
07-22-2011, 03:19 PM
What's the high end and low end for good paints? I'm reading about "Benajamin Moore Aura" but it's like 50-60$ a Gallon.... Is any paint really worth that much?

DENZILDON
07-22-2011, 03:30 PM
$40 to $60 of paint is top of the line. I can't say much for Benjamin Moore but my Uncle swears by it.

For home depot, BEHR ULTRA is their high end paint. It has a primer in it so it has a better coverage and nano guard technology that has better resistance to cleaning.

Crymson
07-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Cool. So you don't need to primer? Just 2 coats of paint? NIIICE.

masoncgy
07-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Aura is a fantastic line of paint, but I wouldn't go to that price point for your walls. I use Aura for specialty applications like kitchen & bathroom cabinetry as it has a very durable finish and lays down flat with either a brush or a roller.

Everyone seems to have their own preference for what they feel is the best. I have used General Paint more often than not for interior walls and it has always been a good quality finish.

Pittsburgh is good quality interior paint too.

legendboy
07-22-2011, 03:50 PM
For what its worth

I got some ICI paint for free from my friends dad. It covered an almost black color paint in 1 coat

DENZILDON
07-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Cool. So you don't need to primer? Just 2 coats of paint? NIIICE.

If your painting over new drywall I would suggest still going with a primer as it seals the drywall so that the paint will adhere better and not absorb most of the paint. Killz or zinsser primer should do the trick. After that, you could just use regular paint as you won't need the primer in one.

If your painting over a light to medium color of an existing painted drywall then I would recommend using the paints with primer in them.

If its a darker color your painting over, you may need to paint a primer/stain killer before you apply your paint.

If you choose a dark color or a really solid color like orange, red, deep green, etc. you might need to get a tinted primer (The store should inform you if you need this when they mix the color for you) as the amount of tint in the paint will be so much that you may need to do a number of coats just to get it to apply evenly. And you need to let the 1st coat dry up with in 24 hours before applying the second coat or you would end up mucking your wall (looks dry but under it its still wet).

FYI: CIL and Martha Stewart are made by ICI paints.

Masoncgy: has it right, each one who painted before or are painters has their own preference when it comes down to it.

Tik-Tok
07-22-2011, 04:53 PM
IMO

CIL wall paint succckkksss. Had the hardest time applying it nicely, compared to other brands. That being said, I actually like their baseboard/trim paint.

garnet
07-22-2011, 10:11 PM
dont use flat for walls, unless you want every mark, or hit to show up on you, especially in white

eggshell is designed to be a balance between low reflection surface and durable finish

use flat for your ceilings, and eggshell for your walls, and semi-gloss for your bathrooms walls

unless your an experienced painter, then avoid custom finishes like "suede"

if is already previously painted (older) home, then your final coat finish may benfit from a light sand between coats
all my painters are instructed to do this, as the apartments have had at least a couple paint jobs done before

even new paint right out of the 5gal pale, we will filter to get crud out, keep the tray covered when not in use

each paint supplier has grades of paint, generally speaking, the better the grade the better result

my man supplier is cloverdale, which is primarly because i get discounted based volume purchased

the really good sales at home depot or rona for paint, often are comparable or better pricing even

benj-moore paint higher grade is decent, sherwin-williams is okay too

if you plan on doing most of the place, consider doing the ceilings, easier now at this stage, and will defnitely add to a "new" refresh appearance

for a more contemporary look using white, consider going with a 'linen' or cool shade of white, stay away from a "cream" or yellow shade of white, unless you like a more vintage look

you could consider using a "satin" finish for walls, with ceiling flat of course, and semi-gloss on base...that would look good too

good luck :)

Crymson
07-26-2011, 02:17 PM
^^

Thanks.

I did hte ceilings. Ripped out the popcorn, patched and put up knock-down. Definately brings the place up the date.

We're definately in line with regards to colours and finishes.

garnet
07-26-2011, 07:45 PM
^^

Thanks.

I did hte ceilings. Ripped out the popcorn, patched and put up knock-down. Definately brings the place up the date.

garnet
07-26-2011, 07:57 PM
hope it helps

good luck :)

^^

Thanks.

bignerd
07-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Meh I used that CIL before that is suppose to do perfect coverage in one coat and I still had to do two before I was satisfied, wasn't even that dark of a color.

superflychief
07-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Check out General Paint's High Performance series. I've used it tons and it's a fantastic product.

DENZILDON
07-28-2011, 12:18 PM
you might need to do some light sanding too if the surface is very smooth.

project240
07-28-2011, 01:00 PM
We use Cloverdale for all of our paints.

After we bought our house, I repainted 90% of the interior with Cloverdale's Super Acrylic II. I think it's about $55/gallon, but we pay under $30 with our account.

I have gotten lots of compliments from everyone who sees it and have never been disappointed with their products.

InRich
07-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Dude.... just use an eggshell in Cloverdale's Super Acrylic II. I also rercommend you dont go WHITE... go off white, it'll look better, and still give you that brightness your looking for...

IF YOUR LOOKING AT painting your house, make sure you let me know. I own a huge account with cloverdale, and I can get you a huge discount. we did my buddies entire house for 350 bucks. juist message me your phone number, and PM me your colour choice and I can have it ready for you in an hour.