PDA

View Full Version : 300c or Wrx? Must decide today! Help beyond!

funkedelic2
07-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Okay so i need a car asap! I originally started my list with a few different cars that i thought i would be interested in. After driving a few of them, i was able to cut them out of my list.

It comes down to two COMPLETELY different cars.

2004 Subaru WRX -

Stock, Rally blue color, 130k on it, oem momo steering wheel, heated seats, sti hood scoop, mechanic owned and maintained. Only downside is that it's in bc (about 7 hours away) and it has a small crack in the front bumper. It would need to pass an oop and i would need to get on a greyhound and drive a few hours to get it.

OR

2005 Chrysler 300c -

120k, Hemi, black on 22" wheels, ballin' grille, tinted windows, navigation, looks good. Included in sale is 18" winter tires and wheels. Downside is that it would be bad on gas and not very good in the winter. I know a 300 with huge ass wheels is played out but for 10-11k why not?

Note either car would be temporary and driven close to a year's time before reselling. I have driven both of these cars before, and they are completely different but both were fun.

I need to make a decision today. What would you choose, and why? Also if you have driven each car or own one or the other, state your case. Thanks guys!

Kardon
07-23-2011, 04:54 PM
300c with 22" wheels?
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r183/donholli/wheelson300317.jpg
like this? :barf: I foresee better resale value on the wrx. Are either of these standard trans?

funkedelic2
07-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Kardon
300c with 22" wheels?
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r183/donholli/wheelson300317.jpg
like this? :barf: I foresee better resale value on the wrx. Are either of these standard trans?

lol something like that. More like this..

http://www.chucksyourautobroker.com/300C/300_CL_Front_low2.jpg

I know the 300 isn't a car for everybody. Its big, bold and loud. Resale is something that would be important to me though. The wrx is manual.

Abeo
07-23-2011, 05:06 PM
WRX, better resale, better winter driving (although the stability/traction control on the 300's is pretty impressive), better looking, easier to park, less douchy. Just my opinion.

Every time I ended up with a 300 or magnum for a rental I got the sensation of a crown vic with an updated interior :/

Aleks
07-23-2011, 05:10 PM
WRX would be easier to sell in Calgary. Resale wouldn't matter at this point as both won't depeciate much in 1 yr if you don't over pay right now.

I would pick the 300c just because I would be too lazy to go see a car in BC with a possibility of coming back without it if it didn't check out.

know1edge
07-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Kardon
Are either of these standard trans?

300's only come in automatic

not a fan of the styling, too bulky.

funkedelic2
07-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
WRX would be easier to sell in Calgary. Resale wouldn't matter at this point as both won't depeciate much in 1 yr if you don't over pay right now.

I would pick the 300c just because I would be too lazy to go see a car in BC with a possibility of coming back without it if it didn't check out.

Yeah this is a concern. I can't find one in alberta that meets my criteria. They are hard to find. I am trying to get as much information as possible so we don't waste each others time.

The 300 is a 15 minute drive away and i can have it by tonight.

AE92_TreunoSC
07-23-2011, 05:26 PM
300c's are good cars as far as domestics go.

Make sure you get the cars history before you go buying either in a hurry.

I'd probably go 300 just because of the power and size of the car.

Also that 300 has a NAG1, as far as auto's go its one of the best ever made (for stock power) They shift smooth and perfect.

astro_ng
07-23-2011, 05:41 PM
I'd buy the wrx for the resale value.

The 300c's resale will be horrible simply because it is american, and now that the new body style is coming out expect the other body style to further decrease in value.

The 300c is also a gas guzzler, if you wanted nav, buy yourself a garmin so you're able to get updates on it.

bigbadboss101
07-23-2011, 07:03 PM
11k budget? Two years ago I sold my 04 CTS-V for around $17k. May be shop for one of those :-)

funkedelic2
07-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
11k budget? Two years ago I sold my 04 CTS-V for around $17k. May be shop for one of those :-)

i cts-v? i wish! Yeah i haven't seen too many of those pop around at all.

Aleks
07-23-2011, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by astro_ng
I'd buy the wrx for the resale value.

The 300c's resale will be horrible simply because it is american, and now that the new body style is coming out expect the other body style to further decrease in value.

The 300c is also a gas guzzler, if you wanted nav, buy yourself a garmin so you're able to get updates on it.

EPA for WRX = 11.8L/100kms combined Premium gas
300C = 13.1L/100kms combined Regular Gas

20,000 kms in 1 yr would equal $30 savings in going with WRX so pretty much the same.

As far as resale goes I don't see how a car that's already 6 yrs old would have shitty resale in 7th year even with the new model coming out. He only wants to keep it for one year. I agree though that WRX will be much easier to sell to some young kid in a year.

PD77
07-23-2011, 08:51 PM

EPA for WRX = 11.8L/100kms combined Premium gas
300C = 13.1L/100kms combined Regular Gas

20,000 kms in 1 yr would equal $30 savings in going with WRX so pretty much the same.

As far as resale goes I don't see how a car that's already 6 yrs old would have shitty resale in 7th year even with the new model coming out. He only wants to keep it for one year. I agree though that WRX will be much easier to sell to some young kid in a year.

I think you forgot to carry a zero or something...it would be closer to $300/year. Still not much in the grand scheme of things though.

Nakadah
07-23-2011, 09:07 PM
I would suggest the Subaru.

As you have already said the 300c is not a car for everyone and it is hard to resell.

You will have much easier time selling the Subaru once the time comes, or I bet the dealer will give you better trade-in value for the Subaru than the 300c.

Weapon_R
07-23-2011, 09:08 PM
I'd take the 300c. I can't get over that wrx interior, no matter how fun the car is.

beyond_ban
07-23-2011, 09:18 PM
300C is probably quicker in a straight line and it would be a comfortable ride... plus like mentioned, it is in town. What if the WRX is not at all like it was described to you then you waist 14 hours of your time riding the bus out there and back.

se7en
07-23-2011, 09:18 PM
the seats in the sube are actually pretty comfortable on long trips, and they can come with options like heated seats and power everything....but yes, cheap, plastic, tinny(spell), noisy, etc....all in the sake of weight.

I still love mine. :)

ddduke
07-23-2011, 09:42 PM
I'd go with the 300, it's more comfortable and looks better IMO. If you have issues parking it then you probably shouldn't be driving in the first place. You also probably won't be tempted to mod it much, unlike the wrx.

But I'm also biased because I'd never buy an import in my life.

Aleks
07-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by PD77

I think you forgot to carry a zero or something...it would be closer to $300/year. Still not much in the grand scheme of things though.

I let the EPA site do the math. The 1.3l/100kms advantage WRX has gets eaten up by the fact it needs premium where the 300C doesn't.

The fact the the WRX is turbo would mean it's actually worse on gas than 300c in my hands :D

funkedelic2
07-23-2011, 10:08 PM
I went and took a look at the 300c. It was a bad ass car! The seller was a great guy, showed me every little chip or imperfection and was willing to do a full inspection on the car on him so i know im getting a car thats in great shape. Tons of balls and it looked good.

WRX interior is nothing special, but i was very impressed with driving my friends 04. It was very responsive, fast enough, and handled really well.

I would want to be modding the wrx even knowing that i wouldn't be keeping it. The 300 is all done.

uhhhh this didn't make it any easier :banghead:

bigbadboss101
07-23-2011, 10:36 PM
My WRX I get around 8.6 - 9.2 L/100. I don't drive hard.
It's the 265 however so not sure about gas mileage on the year you are looking at.

Did rent a 300c a few years ago. Looks good, roomy. Not sure about the handling.

If you can find a local car that would be better. Have you checked westernsubaruclub.com ?

adam c
07-23-2011, 10:44 PM
I had to rent a 300 a couple years ago when my car was in the shop and although it was comfortable i felt like i was driving a boat, response times were slow from stepping on the gas to actually moving and going from reverse to forward took 2-3 seconds of sitting in the middle of the road or parking lot as well got pulled over by the RCMP since he thought I was too young to drive one and said he smelled weed coming from the car.. yea ok...

although on the other hand, when done up they are very nice looking

the 4 speed on the 300 was very lacking i found, i can't comment on the C as i have only driven the regular but i can't imagine the cars being too far apart unless it was the SRT version

Aleks
07-23-2011, 10:47 PM
It's the 265 however so not sure about gas mileage on the year you are looking at.

Did rent a 300c a few years ago. Looks good, roomy. Not sure about the handling.

If you can find a local car that would be better. Have you checked westernsubaruclub.com ?

Wow that must be babying it. IIRC I was around 11-12L/100kms with that car.

bigbadboss101
07-23-2011, 10:51 PM
12.5L/100km huh? On my 04 CTS-V I get around 14.4L/100km.

funkedelic2
07-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by adam c
I had to rent a 300 a couple years ago when my car was in the shop and although it was comfortable i felt like i was driving a boat, response times were slow from stepping on the gas to actually moving and going from reverse to forward took 2-3 seconds of sitting in the middle of the road or parking lot as well got pulled over by the RCMP since he thought I was too young to drive one and said he smelled weed coming from the car.. yea ok...

although on the other hand, when done up they are very nice looking

the 4 speed on the 300 was very lacking i found, i can't comment on the C as i have only driven the regular but i can't imagine the cars being too far apart unless it was the SRT version

There is a massive difference from a base rental 300 you would get, from a 300c model. Even though the car is big, it still felt very fast. The handling was alright. Not a BMW or a Subaru but not bad considering the size.

The cop story is funny. I can see myself getting pulled over. It's very eye catching and it has tinted windows all around. Just looks like a drug dealers car. That's kind of why Im not sure about it. I'm young as well but don't know if this car suits my style.

unkicrackie99
07-24-2011, 12:06 AM
I'd pick the WRX, as mentioned earlier better resale value, more fun to drive, and these cars are great in the winter.

Do you have the link of the car?

Ukyo8
07-24-2011, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by funkedelic2
Downside is that it would be bad on gas and not very good in the winter.

I used to have one, the traction control in it works very well, I got through 2 winters in it with all seasons without a problem

funkedelic2
07-24-2011, 03:36 PM

I have tried WSC, but no luck. I've been stalking the fs section for the last week now. What do you mean its the 265?

Mitsu3000gt
07-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic2

I have tried WSC, but no luck. I've been stalking the fs section for the last week now. What do you mean its the 265?

Some newer WRX models are the "WRX 265" model with 265 HP which is more than normal (230HP I think).

I've driven both the 300C and WRX multiple times, I'd take the WRX every time. The 300C interior is garbage, but it does have some decent drivetrain parts from the Mercedes parts bin. I really wasn't a fan of the car, it felt like I was driving a boat. For $10-11k though, there are much worse cars than a 300C.

Good luck with your decision.

Sentry
07-24-2011, 09:52 PM
For fuck's sake don't buy a Chrysler.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Buy my Legacy GT Limited!

jsn
07-24-2011, 10:22 PM
None of us can make this decision for you. You really have to decide what you prefer. The WRX's interior is pretty crappy and it's less spacious. The 300's interior isn't that much better, but it is more comfortable and spacious with a bigger boot. Trade off is that it handles like a boat compared to the wrx. The AWD of the WRX is nice in the winter, but I believe a model of the 300C has AWD as well. Styling is subjective. I prefer the WRX, but that's a biased opinion. Seeing how you're considering both, I'm assuming you like/don't mind the looks of both. So honestly, you have to decide what's more important to you.

mucat
07-25-2011, 12:09 PM

Wow that must be babying it. IIRC I was around 11-12L/100kms with that car.

My 300C hover around 13.0L/100km.

narou
07-25-2011, 12:17 PM
I don't know how much difference there is between 300 or 300c. I have driven a 300 several times and it felt like I had so many blind spots. The auto transmission was decent but could be better. Every time I had to turn the thing it was pretty disappointing.

cherpintow
07-25-2011, 01:01 PM
These cars are very different.

From a biased viewpoint, I've had my 05 wrx for 2 years and I'm still in love with it. It's still fun to drive both in summer and especially in winter (we have 8 months of it in this city). The aftermarket part selection/options are insane and it's a great community of people that own the cars (western subaru club).

Anyways, I can't really comment on the 300C, the only Chrysler I've owned was an Intrepid.

Good luck with your decision :thumbsup:

nixrx8
07-25-2011, 01:46 PM
I'd pick the 300C, it's local, no BS bus trips, no dealing getting an OOP done. It's only for a year the values of either car aren't going to change drastically. 300C would be an easier resell IMO as old people who actually have money like those cars, while young kids like the WRX, they dont have money.

jonnycat
07-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Try the 300C. My Magnum averaged about 15l/100km but I got into it alot.

You've been driving smaller cars for awhile, why not try out a bigger one if it is just for a year.

These park really easy they're turning radius is pretty sharp, so I wouldn't worry about it.

They handle better than most fwd's in the winter too.

SCHIDER23
07-26-2011, 06:57 AM
I would pick the 300c as well, I driven a few of them they are fun cars as long as you don't have to park them lol, and all of those comenting on the handling well it is a full size sedan.:rofl:

Cos
07-26-2011, 07:13 AM
300C, it isnt the best car but for 10 grand and the fact you can see it before you buy it.

Zero102
07-26-2011, 08:15 AM
You don't mention if the 300c is awd or not, IIRC it was available both RWD and AWD.

I had a 2008 chrysler 300 with the 3.5L and it was a fucking nightmare in the winter but it was mostly due to the tires (continental pieces of shit). If the 300c is awd and comes with winter tires I'd go for it, see how you like it. As you said it is only a year, and realistically both cars will depreciate quite similarly over that time period. There are no major maintenance intervals on the 300c around 120k, but make sure the transmission fluid has already been changed at least once.
If the 300c is only rwd, you will find it is very nose heavy and difficult to keep rear traction in the winter. The traction control does a VERY good job of reining it in, however it isn't much fun in the winter because it is so restrictive.

*EDIT*
Also, in my 300 I averaged 14.5L/100km (60% city 40% highway) and that's with the 3.5L. I doubt the hemi will do any better.

brokeass
07-26-2011, 09:06 AM
I would assume that it is RWD because I think he would have made the comparison between the WRX.

Personally I would go with the 300C - For the shear fact that you were able to see it and drive it beforehand.

Travelling out to BC to see a car and dance around a bunch of red tape isn't worth it for a car like that.

Mechanic owned to me always meant, bad car accident, never claimed and fixed. :dunno:

jonnycat
07-26-2011, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
You don't mention if the 300c is awd or not, IIRC it was available both RWD and AWD.

I had a 2008 chrysler 300 with the 3.5L and it was a fucking nightmare in the winter but it was mostly due to the tires (continental pieces of shit). If the 300c is awd and comes with winter tires I'd go for it, see how you like it. As you said it is only a year, and realistically both cars will depreciate quite similarly over that time period. There are no major maintenance intervals on the 300c around 120k, but make sure the transmission fluid has already been changed at least once.
If the 300c is only rwd, you will find it is very nose heavy and difficult to keep rear traction in the winter. The traction control does a VERY good job of reining it in, however it isn't much fun in the winter because it is so restrictive.

*EDIT*
Also, in my 300 I averaged 14.5L/100km (60% city 40% highway) and that's with the 3.5L. I doubt the hemi will do any better.

I thought the rwd with the hemi was excellent. I was only ever stuck twice, and both times it was because the snow was too deep and I got high centered. The ESP system on these cars are great in winter. In summer you can do a nice smoky burnout, but as soo as you as you get too sideways it cuts in, as it isn't defeatable in a C or R/T

mucat
07-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Zero102

*EDIT*

Originally posted by mucat

My 300C hover around 13.0L/100km.

Mahaha, beat you.

Anyway, I have problem going up the slightest slope on the iciest day, so this is like once a year. Otherwise it is just like driving any car.

Zero102
07-26-2011, 12:08 PM
If you leave the stock continental tires on the 300 then you are going to get stuck everywhere when it is snowy out, but since the OP said it came with winter tires I wouldn't worry too much about it.

One day I parked mine by the university on a side-road which had a bit of a slope. I turned my wheels to the curb, set the parking brake and as I let off the brake and opened my door the car started sliding backwards, both rear wheels locked. I hopped back on the brake and brought it under control, but I've never had that happen in any other car on any hill before...
Also, about 2 weeks later I was parked on a different side street (less slope) and found my car about 70 feet from where I left it, apparently it pulled the same shenanigans again after I had left. I found a new parking spot on level ground after that.

The only up side (mileage-wise) is that although I did 14.5L/100km when I was driving around Calgary, when I took the 300 on road trips I had no problem getting it down to 7.8-8.1L/100km on the highway (~10-15% over the limit all the time).

unkicrackie99
07-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Here's a deal on a WRX that won't last very long... "Super Charged Boxer engine" :rofl:

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2004-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ300960002

03ozwhip
07-26-2011, 01:33 PM
^^also, deposit on test driving a WRX? wtf?

n1zm0
07-26-2011, 01:37 PM
if you do get the 300c, make sure you almost religiously lube the tie rod ends with grease with the zerk type fitting squeeze guns if they are the greaseable type, those damned chrysler LX chassis (Charger/300c/magnum) have an extreme problem with them, i know cause i've changed my gfs dad's magnum's joints twice each already in 13 months, plus its all over the interwebs.

unkicrackie99
07-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
^^also, deposit on test driving a WRX? wtf?

Haha yeah, they also definitely don't know much about their car if they think it's supercharged and that Momo steering wheel it has is custom. :nut:

Darell_n
07-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by unkicrackie99
Here's a deal on a WRX that won't last very long... "Super Charged Boxer engine" :rofl:

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2004-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ300960002

Way too much money. I just paid $17K for my '08 WRX with a 1/4 the miles on it.

funkedelic2
07-27-2011, 05:01 AM
I'm going for the wrx. I mean yea, its far but it's the color and car that I really want. Greyhound there and driving back will cost me less than $200 and almost a full day but it's worth it for the right car. The guy is a Honda tech and the original owner. I've gotten enough pictures, documents and information I need to feel comfortable enough to know exactly what I'm getting. It's risky but what's life without taking a risk or 2.

The drive back should be pretty fun and scenic. I'll let you guys know how it all worked out and post some pics when I get back! Thanks everyone for their imput and opinion, it helped.

403Gemini
07-27-2011, 08:42 AM
I had a WRX and I LOVED IT. BUT I would go with a 300c now. I'm getting older, moved in with the girlfriend, will likely be married in the next 2 years or so and plan on starting a family... the 300c is an amazing car for interior space and actually looks quite good. I'd pick 300c for sure.

cherpintow
07-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by unkicrackie99

They also didn't have a 2.5L engine that year, it's only a 2.0 Litre. Looks like he's update the 'supercharged' part though.

Good luck with the purchase OP, hope it works out!

Guillermo
07-27-2011, 12:19 PM
300 is a lot more car for the money. i used to want a subaru until I sat in one and realized how cheaply the whole car was built... the only other car i've been in like that was my 1988 Hyundai Excel (shitbox). also, there are better chances that wrx has been bagged. :dunno:

Danny Meehan
07-27-2011, 12:28 PM
As an ex-owner of the 300c srt8,drive experience mediocre, gas expensive ... but what a pleasure to look at.
For 11 K, I would redo it

Do you have the ad-link for it ?

g-m
07-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Wrx. 300 is ugly as balls, can't turn, and has been rusting for the past few years. I've had a great experience buying a car from BC. Good choice.

Darell_n
07-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by g-m
Wrx can't turn, and has been rusting for the past few years. I've had a great experience buying a car from BC. Good choice.

Fixed.

S2kpwr
08-05-2011, 09:32 PM
I had a 300 for four years and it was the only car that I kept for more than two years (I only drove Japanese and German cars before then). After being so used to 300, I feel so squeezed every time I sit in other cars.

It was amazingly reliable as well. Nothing ever broke down on me other than a regular maintenance. I had it from 40k to 140k.

Never had a problem in the winter until I moved to Calgary. lol When the road is icy, I had a trouble driving uphill (but that was with all season tires).

Also, I don't know how old you are but now I feel like I would have to go back to high school in order to drive a wrx. :D

gyu
08-08-2011, 01:21 AM
Did you get the WRX yet? Post some pics

Cooked Rice
08-08-2011, 01:39 AM
What's the info on the 300? i'm kind of interested considering you didn't snag it.