PDA

View Full Version : Car Salesmen?

epp01
07-24-2011, 10:12 AM
I have an interview at Ford on monday to be a Car Salesmen, what can one expect to make? What hours can somebody expect to work? I'd assume weekends and evenings all the time. Is there any advancement in that field?

kvg
07-24-2011, 10:34 AM
The income is based on your closing ability and how much profit you can retain in the vehicles you sell. You will have Sundays off, but you will work evenings and Saturdays. If you sell and they like you you can become a department manager or work in the "box". I sold cars for a few years and did well, but it was a very adversarial sales process and didn't really enjoy it. I found where I worked the people were great, alot of customers on the other hand :drama:

dj_rice
07-24-2011, 10:34 AM
It all depends on the dealership traffic and volume. If its a well-known place and your selling skills, you can sell 3 cars a week, I'd say you can make 5-8K/month. Also depends on the bonus/incentive structure at the place. The most I've seen a saleguy make from a paystub was $22K take home.

As for hours, the salesguys I work with, their hours are 8am-8pm Mon-Saturday.

jdmXSI
07-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

As for hours, the salesguys I work with, their hours are 8am-8pm Mon-Saturday.

You don't let them have a day off? That's not very nice;)

I've been selling for about 6 years now. As for income, I've seen people make anywhere from $30-150k selling cars. It's all based on you ability to interact with people and as for hours, you could work as little as 40hrs up to 80hrs/week. Thats goin to depend on your dealership (if there are any sales on and how you schedule your time with the customers). Some dealerships give you a set day off every week and some give you every second Friday off.

Good luck!

dj_rice
07-24-2011, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by jdmXSI

You don't let them have a day off? That's not very nice;)

I've been selling for about 6 years now. As for income, I've seen people make anywhere from $30-150k selling cars. It's all based on you ability to interact with people and as for hours, you could work as little as 40hrs up to 80hrs/week. Thats goin to depend on your dealership (if there are any sales on and how you schedule your time with the customers). Some dealerships give you a set day off every week and some give you every second Friday off.

Good luck!

I'm not a salesguy. I'm on the Parts/Service side.

swak
07-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Im a parts guy too, and to be honest if you're in a high traffic dealership, its amazing how many cars that can be pumped out of a place.

Out of curiosity though, do sales guys get paid hourly? Or is it 100% comission driven?

dj_rice
07-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by swak
Im a parts guy too, and to be honest if you're in a high traffic dealership, its amazing how many cars that can be pumped out of a place.

Out of curiosity though, do sales guys get paid hourly? Or is it 100% comission driven?

I believe when you first start out, the first 3 months you get paid an hourly wage $12-15. Usually if you can't sell a car within the first 2-3 weeks after training, they usually give you the boot.

But the way our place works, if you don't gross anything on the car, you get $200 flat on anything you sell used/new. Then if you sell over MSRP its 10% of whatever you grossed over MSRP. For bonus structure, I've seen a tiered system where if you sell 3-5 cars its $100, then 5-8 $500. There is only a monthly quota bonus as well.

Ven
07-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Over MSRP? I know there's a lot of morons who will pay MSRP, but seriously who buys a car from more than sticker?

C4S
07-25-2011, 02:24 PM
THEY SUCK!!

PERIOD ..

I mean .. their pay cheque suck .. unless you work for AutoMaxx etc used car lots ..

:( :( :( :(

In general speaking ... ~ 30-50% less income now, compare to 10 year ago ..

So .... if you don't care about money, don't need to feed your family, don't need to pay bills, don't need money for vacation ... go for it!

:dunno:

The BMW Guy
07-25-2011, 02:56 PM
^ Come on now, he could be a really good seller and maybe move up into upper management positions. Big bucks.

Originally posted by C4S

I mean .. their pay cheque suck .. unless you work for AutoMaxx etc used car lots ..

Was talking to some of them while getting my car detailed and they said an average range of 12-17 cars per person per month. Think they have about 5-6 sales guys at their main location. Even showed me their board for keeping track. Granted this was a little while ago though...

Not sure if that's a lot or not as I'm not much of a salesguy...

TheRealTimHorton
07-25-2011, 04:09 PM
I hear the people come first and the sales come second..

If you can make friends and get people to like you, success will naturally follow.

dj_rice
07-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Ven
Over MSRP? I know there's a lot of morons who will pay MSRP, but seriously who buys a car from more than sticker?

Usually when they buy over MSRP, means they've bought a vehicle with extra add-ons like lift kit, rims, intake/exhaust etc etc. Some people have money and just pay sticker. Sometimes you luck out.

Sorath
07-25-2011, 04:24 PM
tough gig to survive in right now without experience, but whos knows you might be crazy talented.

I would say the average sales guy makes 60,000 a year with the ability to write off(expense) alot of stuff

BrknFngrs
07-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
I would say the average sales guy makes 60,000 a year with the ability to write off(expense) alot of stuff

I'm surprised about the write-offs comment; what kind of things are you referring to?

C4S
07-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Not much you can write off (legally and offically)

Can't even write off your car payment .. ( I know some people do .. but not suppose )

Other then Cell phone bill, not much .. may be a bit of cable/internet ..

Oh .. yes, couple boxes of timbit.

If you want to make good money, sell Domestic .. such as Ford .. Toyota .. etc ..

Sorath
07-25-2011, 04:41 PM
cell phone, gifts(you can be creative with this), lunches, dinners, coffee. depending on the T2200 form that they give you, you can write off your insurance, registration, car payments, maintenance

Sorath
07-25-2011, 04:43 PM
domestic cars is where the moneys at for car sales.

with imports you have to do high volume to make anywhere close to domestic sales.

LOL @ toyota, definately not many people make over 100,000 selling toyotas