PDA

View Full Version : Who drives RWD year-round?

Masked Bandit
07-24-2011, 10:25 AM
So I'm thinking of changing vehicles and I'm looking for some input from actual owners.

I drove nothing but RWD vehicles as a kid in Saskatchewan and never had problems in the winter (and this was long before things like traction control) but I've owned 4WD vehicles for the last 10 years and I think I'm a bit spoiled.

Who drives RWD all winter (assuming with winter tires) and how do you find it? Do you often find the set up lacking and wishing for more traction? I'm thinking of times after a fresh dump of snow or that corner on a hill that ices up like crazy.

TIA

Edit: - I'm looking at cars like the CTS-V, 300, etc. It's has to be a larger vehicle as I've got a family so AWD options like anything Subaru makes are out.

dj_rice
07-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Back in the day, I only had a 240sx as a DD. I didn't even have winter tires since I couldn't afford it. I ran all-season tires in the winter with some sandbags in the trunk and it did not help for shit. I was slipping and sliding all over the place. But I survived 3 winters that way. So no I did not like driving RWD in winter.

NoMoreG35
07-24-2011, 10:39 AM
I've driven RWD's in 3 winters. All with traction control, and they were OK with winter tires. This winter will be my first with an RWD without traction control so we will see :D

Hamann
07-24-2011, 10:51 AM
I drove a 1990 5L Mustang for 2 winters, it's not to bad to be honest. You have to be alot more aware of how high your reving it etc so you don't spin out. But I never got stuck. I assume having traction control and winter tires would make it a whole lot easier though.

nobb
07-24-2011, 10:56 AM
I plan on DD'ing my Genesis Coupe and the upcoming winter will be my first with this vehicle. Traction control, limited slip diff, and winter tires should in theory make it easier. Im more worried about ground clearance than traction TBH.

MrSector9
07-24-2011, 10:57 AM
I drove an RX7 for 2 winters, and a truck for 2 winters)was 4x4 but usually just drove in 2x4)

good winter tires... done.

eglove
07-24-2011, 11:08 AM
I drive my s2000 all year round. Had no difficulties in the winter except for ride height. Haha

93VR6
07-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Good winter tires are necessary, I drove a miata for a winter, its fine with the right tires.

BananaFob
07-24-2011, 11:10 AM
DD'd a 944 turbo through winter last year. And DD'd my rwd S600 coupe and Rx-7 this year. No issues with traction. Just need a good set of winters.

Aleks
07-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Drove a RWD bmw every day last winter. Most days it was ok. Traction and stability control are great on the car. In fresh snow it actually accelerated pretty quick. The problem was any sort of ice, or patted down snow, or any inclines. It would make for a very slow start in those cases. If I ever stopped on my driveway I couldn't make it up to my garage so that was annoying.

It depends on how much you can tolerate and where you drive. I can see why new cars (3 series, IS, G, Audi, Merc) are mostly sold in AWD now. No one wants to put up with issues in the winter for better balance in the summer.

sillysod
07-24-2011, 11:28 AM
All our service vans are RWD as is almost every full size van in the city. And almost none of them have winter tires. Majority of the people that drive them are not driving enthusiasts. We have one guy that constantly drives with 2 feet on the pedals dragging the brakes everywhere.

I would say probably 1x or 2x over the course of a winter you end up in a situation where you could get stuck.

My mom drives a 540i with winter tires all year no problems. If you have winter tires especially you are set.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-24-2011, 11:30 AM
My family has (will have soon) all RWD BMWs and all are driven all year round.

Jetta-2.0
07-24-2011, 11:55 AM
I drive my bmw all year round, with all seasons, but I do plan on buying winter tyers this year, but to tell you the truth, I liked it better then FWD cars that I drove before.

All u have to worry about is haing traction control and abs and ur good to go. The fun thing about it, you can take corners easyer :rofl:

with the 2 FWD cars I had before, I got stuck with them and hit 2 curbs.

Last year I drove my BMW and I had 0 problems other then sitting on a small hill an trying to get out :rofl: also like people said dont floor it cuz ull get no where good luck

JfuckinC
07-24-2011, 12:26 PM
i dont even know any different? I've never had anything but rwd haha.. You get stuck once in a while just got know how to rock yourself out haha :dunno:

Way more fun that's for sure :thumbsup:

Masked Bandit
07-24-2011, 12:53 PM
So it sounds like ground clearance is really the issue here. With the cars I'm considering that shouldn't be much of an issue. Obviously nothing like a truck but better than say the S2000 mentioned.

Nakadah
07-24-2011, 12:54 PM
With RWD I get stuck once on a while through the winter with good winter tires. It is not great on really icy roads, especially when you have to climb a small hill for example.

This winter with only 2 winter tires(Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2) in front(on FWD) never got stuck and never had any problems with slipping.

project240
07-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Back in the day, I only had a 240sx as a DD. I didn't even have winter tires since I couldn't afford it. I ran all-season tires in the winter with some sandbags in the trunk and it did not help for shit. I was slipping and sliding all over the place. But I survived 3 winters that way. So no I did not like driving RWD in winter.

Same as me. I bought a 240 as my 1st car and drove through 5 winters with it back in Sask. I never bought winter tires and truthfully, can only remember getting stuck 2 times (I also remember getting stuck going up a small ramp into a blockbuster and the guy behind me having to back up into traffic so I could get out :rofl: )

BenC
07-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Just a good set of winters and you're fine
I drove my 240 which was 2.5" off the ground all winter last yr...

D'z Nutz
07-24-2011, 01:20 PM
Drove a BMW year round a few years ago. It was a pain in the ass until I got a good set of winters, then no problem. After that, I was sold on how much of a difference winter tires make.

n1zm0
07-24-2011, 01:25 PM
drove 2 240s throughout 5 winters, just need a good set of winters, no sandbags imo for the 240, i tried it one year and never did it again because i couldnt get up 17th ffs - so embarrassing , my buddy and i got out, threw the bags on the sidewalk and off we went. if all fails to get moving at the stop light tho in rwd or fwd, 2nd gear starts always help.

in regards to the 300c though op, i rented one to go up to castle mountain chalets one year during a heavy snowstorm and packed snow on hwy 1, just with all season i was thoroughly impressed at the handling and predictability on that thing, wow, as if it had studded winters.

Hakkola
07-24-2011, 01:26 PM
RWD + Winter = the most fun I have driving

I've driven 3 different rwd cars and one fwd through the winters, fwd sucked balls.

Most fun is the Benz or the BMW with traction turned off, only been stuck once in the winter in the past 8 years, Benz with bald summers last year when the first snow storm hit.

heavyD
07-24-2011, 01:34 PM
I plan on driving the Mustang in the winter with winter tires of course. As long as you have proper tires you will have no issues 95% of the time. In severe storms and icy conditions you have to pay more attention and as someone said be a little strategic when going up icy hills.

93mr2gt
07-24-2011, 01:34 PM
had mr2 turbo, 350z, bmw 330ci, all drove in winter with no problem, was actually pretty fun. Make sure you have winters or good all season tires though

kamakurakid
07-24-2011, 01:41 PM
The city police cars are all RWD, they seem to have very few issues and some are not on winter tires. Get winter tires from Bob the Tire Guy and you'll be set. Look for a vehicle with good clearance if lane access is important.

I drove a 1970 Nova a lifetime ago in Saskatchewan, had studded on all corners, might be the best car I have had for winter conditions, might have simply been the studs too.

M.alex
07-24-2011, 01:52 PM
My daily beater is an 500RWhp 04 cobra convertible. It also doesn't have traction control or abs (I removed those pesky items).

In the winter I put on my 235/17 Blizzaks and roll out. No regrets (other than racking up rock chips on the hood *sigh* ).

Ukyo8
07-24-2011, 02:01 PM
I drove a 300c, a GS400, and an S13 through winter.

The GS400 and S13 with winter tires, and the 300c with all seasons. Never had an issue with any of them, but the S13 (which had 2 way Kaaz LSD) with winter tires was the best performer on icy and snowy conditions the aggressive LSD had a lot to do with it, but winter tires make a world of difference as well.

rage2
07-24-2011, 02:14 PM
C63 with winters for the last 2 winters. Only complaint I'd that I keep getting raped off the line by everyone. Once it gets going, it's a whole lotta fun. Never got stuck once.

AndyL
07-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Heh; I'm pretty much always in rwd trucks... Never much of an issue; but having a couple seasons ice racing sure helps. Never had traction control, never had stability control... And I can only remember once getting stuck - at least enough I was blocking traffic (southbound edmonton trail - up to 32ave; stopped on the hill, had a hell of a time getting going again)

It's all about the vehicle and driver... RWD is great in winter; if you know how to drive it... sandbags vs no sandbags - depends on the weight distribution of the vehicle; some do good - some do bad that way...

Darell_n
07-24-2011, 02:47 PM
I drive the truck in my signature year round. Work van is RWD but weights 6800 lbs and will rip up the pavement during the winter. Everything is easy after driving my Dodge in the snow.

Abeo
07-24-2011, 03:23 PM
I've driven RWD exclusively for the past 5 years... a 240 with very worn winters, a open diff GMC 1500 w/ AT's, and now a ranger with a limited slip with x-ice tires. The 240 and the GMC were fine in the winter; a few dicey moments in the 240 but that was due to having the wrong tires and being dumb.

The ranger, however, will swap ends at 70 on deerfoot if it even sees ice. It is the most unsettling vehicle I've ever been in during the winter. Weird thing is its great in loose snow.

I've driven a bunch of rwd work vans (which were fine due to weight), and a bunch of rental magnums/300's (which had great stability/traction control).

Stability and traction control nowadays can do amazing things, I don't think I'd buy a newish rwd car that doesn't have it if I was planning on winter driving.

Masked Bandit
07-24-2011, 03:52 PM
So to shift gears just a bit & derail my own thread, shoot me some ideas for larger RWD vehicles:

Caddy CTS-V
Chrysler 300C / STR-8
???

M.alex
07-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
So to shift gears just a bit & derail my own thread, shoot me some ideas for larger RWD vehicles:

Caddy CTS-V
Chrysler 300C / STR-8
???

03/04 cobra
??07??-10 gt500

Ukyo8
07-24-2011, 04:54 PM

Caddy CTS-V
Chrysler 300C / STR-8
???

M5 if you're willing to spend a bit more money

Darell_n
07-24-2011, 05:09 PM

Caddy CTS-V
Chrysler 300C / STR-8
???

All full size sedans I can think of have AWD as an option including the 300C and Charger.

tirebob
07-24-2011, 05:10 PM
2 wheel drive old Dodge P/U 3 speed (well really a 4 speed but 1st is only good for starting while towing a heavy load)...

It is fine in snow, but on ice it can be pretty shitty. Trying to start on a hill in traffic after everything has been polished by everyone else can be pretty annoying.

So this last winter for shits and giggles, I rocked studded winter tires and it was seriously wicked! Nothing you couldn't do... All of a sudden you go from feeling like you are on skis to feeling like a billy goat! I am definitely gonna go the studded route again this year... Soooooo much fun when it is shitty out!

Shlade
07-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

03/04 cobra
??07??-10 gt500

:rofl:

I hate you hahahaa

Kardon
07-24-2011, 07:48 PM
I've winter driven rwd's with winter tires and its no big deal on a well balanced car, however I would still be alittle worried if I had to stop on a steep hill. Having a full tank of gas during winter also helps with the weight balance, I drove an Aristo and a G35 through winter. Its also ALOT of fun :burnout:

benyl
07-24-2011, 09:49 PM
RWD + Winter = Fun.

http://www.benyl.com/C63AMG/IMG_0392.JPG

I would be tempted by the CTS-V personally.

Chantastic
07-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Lot's of 240 DD experience here it seems haha. Me as well. 1st and only car. I got caught one year on my pirelli pzero nero summers and I couldn't leave my parking spot without curbing the rear wheel since it kept sliding so much. But when I have my kumho winters on, nothing can stop me! Nothing! I drive around much bigger fwd cars even suv's all the time. The few instances I got stuck were on a very steep hill, where traffic was at a standstill, and in unplowed area's where it was just simply too deep for anything but a truck.

To be honest, if rust didn't exist, I'd love to keep driving my 240 every winter, it's just too much fun and so easy! I should also mention that the car doesn't even have ABS, let alone traction control. The next car I get I want a newer rwd dd that won't die from rust anytime soon!

And to the guy who said they threw out sandbags on 17th...I don't get it. You were going uphill and got stuck, so how did removal of the sandbags help? I assume the sandbags were over the rear wheels?

georgemagana
07-24-2011, 11:26 PM
All im gonna say is I never had more fun than last winter! Like everyone said, just get a really good set of winter tires. I had 0 problems last year and i drove through sarcee trail every day lol all the trucks and fail wheel drive cars were going sideways and my car had 0 problems

Scope951
07-24-2011, 11:38 PM
winter tires + TC off + rwd every winter.

wait, there are people who don't choose this option?

JordanLotoski
07-24-2011, 11:42 PM
I drive my jaguar xfr all winter, it's pushing about the same up as the cts-v and weighs about the same, with winters no issues so far.

5fivespeed
07-25-2011, 03:54 AM
Used to drive my AE86 all year around, one year with summer tires, and one year with winters. No problems.

Same with my X-Runner, winter tires and it runs great.

Ray

Masked Bandit
07-25-2011, 07:43 AM

03/04 cobra
??07??-10 gt500

lol...I guess you missed the part where I mentioned that's it's a family car. Two car seats for a few more years.

Neil4Speed
07-25-2011, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by BananaFob
DD'd a 944 turbo through winter last year. And DD'd my rwd s600 coupe and Rx-7 this year. No issues with traction. Just need a good set of winters.

Sweet -S600 Coupe.

I DD my SC400 for the last two winters, a good set of tires is kind of a must though. Traction Control does help on Icy roads at speed though.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/neil4speed/179274_620153666127_120601507_36282905_4563037_n.jpg

Orbie
07-25-2011, 09:49 AM
I've driven a few RWD vehicles as DD all year around and there were some points where I wish I had more grip, specifically around starting from a stop. But all in all it's very doable if you're just driving in Calgary. As other people have mentioned tires are a must, but after that just a bit of common sense will get you through Calgary winters easily.

I am a bit confused on why the car you're looking at has to be RWD. If you're more comfortable with AWD why not look for a large performance sedan with AWD capability instead?

The 300C on your list has an AWD option, why not just opt for that? I didn't see a price point mentioned, but I assume if you're looking at CTS-V's you have some cash to play with. How about an Audi S6 or an E550 4Matic?

Troll-ol
07-25-2011, 10:10 AM
After driving a 2wd s10 with all seasons for work during winter, I prefer awd. I remember many times the truck would be driving at a 30 degree angle with the back end swung to the right (no joke drove down crow child going 50 like this because it won't grip...)

Plus all the back roads by work driving a fwd a couple times, couldn't get up them.

dimi
07-25-2011, 10:25 AM
I DD'd my S2000 for 3 winters. Didn't this last one though. I have a completely gutted trunk, no spare, no tools, so my rear end is quite light. Combined with the general twitchiness of the car, it got pretty rediculars at times. Even taking a slow corner you'd always have to be ready for the tail to swing out. Some people thought I was showing off and going sideways on purpose. I wasn't !!!

I DD'd a beater this year. Much better on the nerves. However I won't deny I do miss the -10C, top down, goggles on, sliding out of control feeling.

180drft
07-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Drive my old 180sx for 2 winters. It was alot of fun. Had a decent set of winter tires and kept the boost at 14psi (for 2 years completely stock car except MBC and FMIC). Good reliable SR20, started in -35 no problem

eblend
07-25-2011, 11:10 AM
I got a CTS (not the -v) and made it through 2 winters just fine on all seasons so far. Even the 230HP in my car makes it harder to accelerate on inclines or pure ice, but it gets the job done, just have to be careful as you would driving any type of vehicle in the winter.

I have gotten stuck in my back alley once as my detached garage is on a good incline with a hard 90 degree turn, and when 2 feet of snow falls, I have to do it at a good speed. if I get stuck I just back up and try again.

I am selling my CTS now though, mainly because my wife could never drive a full size sedan (she is small), so am looking for an AWD Suzuki SX4 instead for her. Much simpler for her to drive something like this, and I won't be getting the calls that she is stuck somewhere, because you need good experience to drive a RWD car in my opinion. It is a hell of a lot more fun in the winter I find going around corners, drifting!!!

Another thing to note, on the CTS (not sure of the V but I am sure the same), there is a Snow Mode (little snowflake button next to the gear shifter) which I believe starts moving in 2nd gear with much lower torque. This works wonders in the winter and I use it all the time, as it allows me to start moving, vs just spinning my tires. I use traction control all the time as well, even during my makeshift drifting, as the brief moment you have when you floor it is enough for the rear to start sliding, without getting yourself into trouble. Turning off ETC and you will be hopelessly stuck

statick
07-25-2011, 11:11 AM
I drove a C220 for a few winters, snow tires without traction or stability control. Getting around wasn't too tough at all.

Shlade
07-25-2011, 11:22 AM
personally I think if your a good driver you can drive any car threw winter no problem. My 07 Charger has very low tread crappy all seasons on it and I managed to get stuck once and that was in a bunch of snow. Never let me down tho.

CapnCrunch
07-25-2011, 12:44 PM
I used to do it, not by choice but because I couldn't afford a better car. Now that I have 4x4, I don't think I'll ever do it again.

guessboi
07-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Snap on some good winter tires, take off slowly and you are good to go. :D

Masked Bandit
07-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Orbie
I've driven a few RWD vehicles as DD all year around and there were some points where I wish I had more grip, specifically around starting from a stop. But all in all it's very doable if you're just driving in Calgary. As other people have mentioned tires are a must, but after that just a bit of common sense will get you through Calgary winters easily.

I am a bit confused on why the car you're looking at has to be RWD. If you're more comfortable with AWD why not look for a large performance sedan with AWD capability instead?

The 300C on your list has an AWD option, why not just opt for that? I didn't see a price point mentioned, but I assume if you're looking at CTS-V's you have some cash to play with. How about an Audi S6 or an E550 4Matic?

I don't have much faith in the longevity (sp?) of AWD systems ESPECIALLY in a Chrysler. I'm not real interested in anything German either, seems to be too many stories about high maintenance costs once you're out of warranty. With that said once I get to the point of driving things I will probably try German just for flavour. Who knows, maybe I'll be surprised enough to pay the difference. I just think there is a bit of extra money tacked on to Audi / MB just becuase it says Audi / MB.

afif
07-25-2011, 05:05 PM
My G is RWD and I drive it all season. Sometimes its hard on steep hills. I am thankful for the traction control system, saved my life a few times from fishtailing. Winter tires is a must.

JZS_147
07-25-2011, 05:21 PM
370whp on hakkapelita's lol, best winter car ever

http://i49.tinypic.com/jgh6jb.jpg

Masked Bandit
07-25-2011, 05:29 PM
^^^^^^^^^

Those are the same tires I've got on the wife's CR-V. They sure were nice this past winter.

Neil4Speed
07-25-2011, 05:31 PM
^ Sick!

OP, have you considered something like an Acura RL, Acura TL AWD, or a Lexus GS AWD?

Masked Bandit
07-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
^ Sick!

OP, have you considered something like an Acura RL, Acura TL AWD, or a Lexus GS AWD?

Not really my style.

I'm going to try and go have a look at a couple of Charger SRT8's this week.

Only if Chevy still made a decent V8 RWD sedan. I had hopes for the Pontiac G8 GT but it's just a touch too small inside.

Masked Bandit
07-27-2011, 08:40 AM
So last night I drove a 300C RWD, a 300c SRT8 and a Charger SRT8.

The 5.7 in the 300C had plenty of power but I found the suspension just a little too soft for my liking. The rest of the car was quite nice. The Charger SRT8 is a straight up muscle car. Goes like hell with suspension that is almost a little too stiff. The 300C SRT8 was the best of both worlds. Over the top power (really, can you have too much?) with a nice but not sloppy ride. I still can't decide if their target demographic for the car is Al Capone or my Grandfather.

Kloubek
07-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by BananaFob
DD'd a 944 turbo through winter last year. And DD'd my rwd S600 coupe and Rx-7 this year. No issues with traction. Just need a good set of winters.

...and I know how well DD'ing the RX7 this past winter worked out for you. ;)

ga16i
07-27-2011, 04:26 PM
I don't know where all the 240DD guys are driving saying it's not a problem, back when I had a 240DD winter sucked!!

Sure it's not bad when you're on the main roads, but me and people I know live in residential neighborhoods and 240 was definitely NOT fun. I'd get close to stuck on a weekly basis, and have a shovel and rope in the trunk at all times. I also don't work downtown, industrial area parking lots are also not fun. Traction is one problem, but giant ruts in the snow and ice turns my 240 into a bridge and traps me in the trench. I've taken the 240 out to Lake Louise, even Radium in the winter before, if you stick to the main roads, it's pretty good.

Bigger heavier cars like the CTS-V, and 300 you mentioned are probably much better than a low light car like the 240's. RWD is fine in the winter as long as you've got good tires and know how to drive. Given that, I wouldn't want a RWD in the winter that doesn't have a real hand brake.

M.alex
07-27-2011, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

...and I know how well DD'ing the RX7 this past winter worked out for you. ;)

boom?

max_boost
07-27-2011, 04:38 PM
FWD/RWD/AWD/4WD etc. with winter tires. But if I must, straight AWD+winter tires. I went last winter without AWD for the first time in 5 years and it annoyed me trying to get traction. :burnout:

CMW403
07-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Tires are the key here. I drove a 93 GMC Jimmy(RWD only) last winter with a good set of studded winter tires and I didn't get stuck ONCE, driving out of Bearspaw to Mt Royal 5-days a week.

PhoenixDoll
07-27-2011, 05:25 PM
I drive my XRunner with aggressive all seasons and maybe two sandbags in the back...

Never had an issue with it before, don't plan on it ever. Its pretty fun in the winter

However this year we'll see what the difference is with solid winter tires

Dblock5
07-27-2011, 10:17 PM
2 winters ago, I drove my 85 Pontiac Firebird in the winter, and that was RWD, no TC or ABS, I put 6 30lbs sandbags to give it a bit more traction (i was on all seasons), overall, it was fun driving in winter. Last winter, I drove my 2010 Camaro, which has everything (TC, ABS), I have all seasons on it as well and the 6 sandbags that were in my Firebird. It's actually a good car to drive in the winter and also fun :D Imagine if there were winter tires on there, it would be a better car to drive in the winter.

Chantastic
07-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by ga16i
I don't know where all the 240DD guys are driving saying it's not a problem, back when I had a 240DD winter sucked!!

Sure it's not bad when you're on the main roads, but me and people I know live in residential neighborhoods and 240 was definitely NOT fun. I'd get close to stuck on a weekly basis, and have a shovel and rope in the trunk at all times. I also don't work downtown, industrial area parking lots are also not fun. Traction is one problem, but giant ruts in the snow and ice turns my 240 into a bridge and traps me in the trench. I've taken the 240 out to Lake Louise, even Radium in the winter before, if you stick to the main roads, it's pretty good.

Bigger heavier cars like the CTS-V, and 300 you mentioned are probably much better than a low light car like the 240's. RWD is fine in the winter as long as you've got good tires and know how to drive. Given that, I wouldn't want a RWD in the winter that doesn't have a real hand brake.

I have a handbrake in the 240...to bad it barely even works. Ha!

Anomaly
07-27-2011, 11:02 PM
So last night I drove a 300C RWD, a 300c SRT8 and a Charger SRT8.

The 5.7 in the 300C had plenty of power but I found the suspension just a little too soft for my liking. The rest of the car was quite nice. The Charger SRT8 is a straight up muscle car. Goes like hell with suspension that is almost a little too stiff. The 300C SRT8 was the best of both worlds. Over the top power (really, can you have too much?) with a nice but not sloppy ride. I still can't decide if their target demographic for the car is Al Capone or my Grandfather.

I don't drive my CTS-V in the winter, but I see quite a few rolling around, good winters and some weight and you should be ok, for 95% of the time. It has traction/stability control, which will help. One downside with the V, is that 18" steel wheels won't clear the brembo brakes...so you'll either have to buy a second factory set of wheels for winter, or just swap your winter/summer tires every year.

fwiw, The first gen V is more agile feeling than the chrysler LX cars, gets about the same gas mileage, and beats down all the LX cars in twists or straights, with the exception of the newest SRT model year :thumbsup:

BananaFob
07-27-2011, 11:37 PM

boom?

:( That was because of ride height lol. Cracked the brand new bumper I had just put on. It was technically spring :p

Bonez
11-22-2011, 11:53 PM
Drove my Z4 for 2 winters with winters and it was fine just take it slow.

BMW does help a lot with a really good traction control system.

Hallowed_point
11-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Driving my 98 z28 camaro through winter right now, honestly I feel more comfortable with how rwd is in snow over fwd. Yeah the tail can kick out on rwd, but at least you dont have to worry about understeering and losing control of your front end like fwd :eek:

95EagleAWD
11-23-2011, 10:26 AM
I've driven my BMW 330 for three winters now with the TCS off. Never been stuck once. 3-series cars really are perfect DDs.

Can't wait to have an M Coupe in the snow.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
I've driven my BMW 330 for three winters now with the TCS off. Never been stuck once. 3-series cars really are perfect DDs.

Can't wait to have an M Coupe in the snow.

My dad had a E46 for 7 years, it was great in the snow but his M Roadster is just downright fun in the snow!

Cos
11-23-2011, 10:46 AM
F150 all year round. I would almost bet that my 300 HP rwd with no weight in the back vehicle is almost the worst thing you can drive. Only the height clearance saves me.

Sentry
11-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
Driving my 98 z28 camaro through winter right now, honestly I feel more comfortable with how rwd is in snow over fwd. Yeah the tail can kick out on rwd, but at least you dont have to worry about understeering and losing control of your front end like fwd :eek:
Oversteer and understeer on loose surfaces have very little to do with what wheels are driven. I bet if you pushed your Camaro into a corner it would understeer just as much as you think all FWD cars do.

My shitbox GTI will oversteer entering a turn too fast, even though it's FWD.

The key here being "entering a turn too fast". If you do that in ANY car it will produce undesirable results.

My 240sx has been pretty good so far. LSD is a big plus. Winter tires are a big plus. Both my cars have winter tires. To those on all seasons, you are not "manly" if you get through winter on all seasons, you are an idiot. You never got stuck? That's nice. That doesn't help you stop or turn. I understand some people can't afford to buy winters due to being a broke ass student or whatever (been there), but those who can and don't? :facepalm:

ercchry
11-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Sentry

My shitbox GTI will oversteer entering a turn too fast, even though it's FWD.

The key here being "entering a turn too fast". If you do that in ANY car it will produce undesirable results.

the key is weight transfer, if you are over steering then stop braking in the turns! get on the gas... oh wait then your GTI will plow off the road... ;)

Sentry
11-23-2011, 11:01 AM
No, even neutral throttle it likes to oversteer.

On gravel if I gas it it scrambles around the corner nicely, still sliding at a slight angle.

It's actually a hoot to drive for an 800 dollar car.

Sentry
11-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Also, Initial D isn't real. If you're overspeeding into a corner in a RWD and gas it you won't magically drift around the corner, you'll still be flying off the goddamn road, just ass backwards instead of nose first.

Hallowed_point
11-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Also, Initial D isn't real. If you're overspeeding into a corner in a RWD and gas it you won't magically drift around the corner, you'll still be flying off the goddamn road, just ass backwards instead of nose first.

Yeah that is true, both options are not so good :D I never had a huge issue driving my fwd turbo last winter except once or twice when I was lead footing it around a corner and the front end wanted to meet the curb!! I think the key thing is being aware of how your car reacts not so much whether or not its fwd or rwd. Both are capable. :thumbsup:

JZS_147
11-23-2011, 11:49 AM
nothing wrong with RWD in the winter. Just need some half decent winter tires.

heavyD
11-23-2011, 11:52 AM
My mustang (on winter tires) drove like a champ early last week when it snowed.

anarchy
11-23-2011, 12:00 PM
I've driven my RWD BMW the last few winters. Without winter tires, it's not even an option. I can't turn out of my condo complex without practically doing a 180. With winters it's okay but still fishtail here and there when it's real icy out.

In short, RWD in winter isn't too bad with winters, but it still sucks compared to FWD or AWD lol.

Aleks
11-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Also, Initial D isn't real.

:rofl: them's fighting words

Hallowed_point
11-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Well of course you need legit winters on it, anyone talking about rwd with summers in the winter is :nut: I had to take three runs to get out of my parking lot the first Friday of snow on all seasons lol :(

Neil4Speed
11-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Decided to pass on driving my car this winter - couldnt be bothered to buy winter tires and switch on switch off.

I will enjoy it again come March/April.

lint
11-23-2011, 12:38 PM
I've driven a number of RWD vehicles over the years and had very few problems. Winter tire choice makes all the difference.

for me, AWD > RWD+LSD > RWD > FWD

CSMRX7
11-23-2011, 12:39 PM
I am currently driving a 600+hp RWD car this winter. The last couple of years I have driven 400hp RWD cars in the winter. Its all about having good tires and a brain.

Tomaz
11-23-2011, 12:41 PM
I drove for one season in a Crown Vic on all-season tires. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. There was no such thing as "driving straight". It was more like "holding the drift". lol

I managed with little incident. It's also a different ball game when living outside of the city. It seems the weather conditions are more extreme the further you go out.

Masked Bandit
11-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Dragged this thread up from the grave eh?

In the end I decided against buying what I had my eyes on (300C SRT8) due to lack of ground clearance for the winter. I just can't give the up the 4wd truck yet and I'm not interested in running two vehicles just yet. Maybe next year.

There's comfort in knowing that it doesn't matter how shitty the weather is or how much it snowed the night before, I can go wherever I want, whenever I want.

95teetee
11-25-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by JZS_147
nothing wrong with RWD in the winter. Just need some half decent winter tires. seemed to work fine for the first hundred years or so lol.

heavyD
11-25-2011, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by 95teetee
seemed to work fine for the first hundred years or so lol.

Yeah it's funny but everyone drove RWD with no traction control and inferior tire technology in winters from the beginning of automobiles right up until the mid 80's and we all lived and many never, ever got into accidents. Now it's like; "Oh RWD in the winter. So scary." I just chalk it up to the pussyfication of later generations.:poosie:

RY213
11-25-2011, 10:04 AM
What are your thoughts on daily driving a 370z or g37 coupe with winter tires?

ercchry
11-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by RY213

if my old man can do it, anyone can :rofl:

heavyD
11-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by RY213

I see a lot of G37's in particular in the winter and some 370Z's. With winter tires you would be fine. Winter driving really comes down to the care and attention you use behind the wheel in poor conditions. AWD does remove some error from the driver but people crash Subaru's just like any other car.

black300
11-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Owned a 300 and g35 in the winters they are not the best. Even with winter tires you'll be slipping and sliding. They get stuck in minimal snow.

RY213
11-25-2011, 07:29 PM
I see a lot of G37's, but not many 370z's in the winter. Im more worried about how low it is opposed to traction. I used to drive an E30 on all seasons when I was young and dumb so I guess either car with winters would be a big improvement haha