PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a Bulldog

teg_star
07-24-2011, 11:02 PM
So we want to make an addition to our family by adding a Bulldog, we understand the health problems and how stubborn they can be, but we still want to get one.

Just wondering if theres any bulldog owners here and if anyone knows of any reputable breeders around Calgary.

trevh
07-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Forest lawn area has some really good breeders.

kaput
07-25-2011, 08:12 AM

Z_Fan
07-25-2011, 10:13 AM
A dog down the street just bit the neighbours kid and is hopefully going to be destroyed. :poosie:

el-nino
07-25-2011, 10:26 AM
I have 2 bulldogs. The only breeder I trust is Iroc Bulldogs in wetaskawin.
I love my dogs they are a bit territorial and that's honestly the worst it gets with them.
Other then that, they are freaking awesome! They sleep all day, can't last on long walks and get a lot of attention.
You won't regret it.

kamakurakid
07-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by kaput
They seem to fart a lot. Nasty ones too. I don't know if this is normal or if the dog in question was just defective.

My dog had this issue as well, made driving anywhere a real chore. Switched to an all raw diet with green tripe a month ago, not a peep out of the dog. He takes ten seconds to eat, before the high end kibble sat in his dish for hours.

http://www.theinnerhound.ca/

you&me
07-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by kamakurakid

My dog had this issue as well, made driving anywhere a real chore. Switched to an all raw diet with green tripe a month ago, not a peep out of the dog. He takes ten seconds to eat, before the high end kibble sat in his dish for hours.

http://www.theinnerhound.ca/

My dog (a mini) was just diagnosed with a liver and bladder infection. The Vet said a major contributing factor was likely the raw food diet that we'd switched to a few weeks ago. Bacteria will grow like crazy on the raw food and if your dog isn't eating it immediately (and I was told <3 mins), you might as well throw it out as it will quickly become too tainted. Sounds like your dog is eating quickly enough, but it's something to keep in mind.

As for the dogs, like I said, I have a mini and he's awesome. Tons of personality, just enough energy that we can play a bit and go for walks, while at the same time, he's perfectly content to sleep on the couch all day. Drooling isn't as bad as other large-jowled dogs I know (boxers, rotties, etc). He does require some extra care with his eyes and wrinkles, but otherwise, he's pretty straight forward. Farting is more common than any other dog I've known... They're loud, they stink and no matter what we seem to feed him, he still keeps going. Be aware that they can snore obscenely... Like if he was a person, you'd be tempted to suffocate them in their sleep :devil:

OP - What specific bulldog are you looking at?

kamakurakid
07-25-2011, 11:18 PM
Fairly smart these dogs:
zt7rXE9vhNY

R-Audi
07-26-2011, 08:13 AM
I have a 3 year old English Bulldog, and he's been awesome. I'd highly recommend insurance, and taking them to an obedience class. Make sure to go to a reputable breeder (full credentials etc) and enjoy!

He has been on Raw food diet almost since the day we got him, and we keep him nice and slim to limit a lot fo the problem associated with weight. Keep in mind some Vets are against Raw food, and will do anything to talk you out of it. When you see the difference in waste (re: shit) you will be amazed how much garbage and filler is in commercial dog foods. (And he came from expensive ones as well) This along with the cleaner teeth, less gas and nicer coat make it tough to pass up.

As you&me mentioned, there are many type of Bulldogs... Olde English, English, Valley, Bantam, American etc. Each have their own characteristics and looks.

teg_star
07-26-2011, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the reply guys, I forgot to mention we're looking to get a English bulldog.

Do u guys crate train them?

R-Audi
07-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Our dog started off in the crate for the first 2 years, then trained him to sleep in his bed. Being that they are stubborn buggers, it takes a while.

JRSC00LUDE
07-26-2011, 10:04 AM
It was the third read where I finally didn't see "I'm thinking of eating a bulldog", think I need more sleep!

Kennyredline
07-26-2011, 12:20 PM
The video wouldn't be as funny if it was any other breed! LOL!!!

kamakurakid
07-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline
The video wouldn't be as funny if it was any other breed! LOL!!!

I was hoping the owner would see just how far it would go, my bet was on the dogs dragging it up to the second floor bedroom. These dogs are very headstrong.

KappaSigma
07-26-2011, 12:32 PM
I have a bully breed (french bulldog cross with Boston terrier). Friking awesome dog.

makeni
07-31-2011, 08:25 AM
I think having bulldog is nice because it is a good guard dog. Just search bulldogs for sale in calgary in the search engine, there are a lot of options there. Good luck...