PDA

View Full Version : Original Joe's (130 ave & Deerfoot SE location)

Vagabond142
07-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Title edit: It's supposed to be SE, not SW -___-

Went down South yesterday to inspect the place I'm going to be moving in to, as well as measure the room to make sure all my shit fits in there XD On the way, decided to have lunch with my buddy, and he suggested Original Joe's. I've only ever been there for wings night, so I thought: why not?

General thoughts
Original Joe's is a sort of half lounge, half restaurant. There is a proper food menu, however, there is also a lounge area and bar, and I know that it can get busy at nights (especially wing night :P). As it was, we sat along the windows that faced the parking lot, so lots of natural light. Overall impression was a nice joint, clean, kinda quiet, and well lit.

Food orders

After a quick review of the menu, I decided on the Original Burger, with fries and caesar salad (what, Sunday's are my cheat days!), and buddy had a Kona burger with fries and slaw. Of note, the server was immediately attentive... barely 20 seconds after both menus were closed and put to the side, she was there with an order pad out. Food came relatively quickly as well, within 10 minutes (not bad for a full course)

Impressions

Presentation was pleasant if a little generic. The burger came splayed open, patty on one side, toppings on the other. Also, a little carryall of condiments came along, instead of leaving them on the table to clog up space. Nice touch. The burger gave off a pleasant aroma of just the right amount of char, and came piping hot. Fries came with a little dipper of gravy (or dill dip as my buddy had), and looked crisp. There was no greasy sheen to them either.

The burger, after a dab of ketchup, was assembled and a properly large first bite taken. Immediately, fresh toppings made a huge difference. Crunchy onions, pickles, lettuce presented a fresh taste, the onions being nice and perk to counter the salty kick of the pickles. The meat was just-this-side-of-well-done-almost-touching-rare, more so that I personally like. However, it was full of char flavor and very forward beef flavor. Subsequent bites evidenced an even level of cooking through the burger. It was well done, but still juicy for the most part. Of the burgers I've had, this would rank in the top 5, probably around position 4 or 5.

I next had a couple of fries. Sadly, the gravy seemed to be the kind that is poured out of a can into a heater. It was a little bland and didn't present any real spice or kick to it. The fries, however, were glorious. Crisp, crunchy, chewy middles, and absolutely no oily taste. I don't know what oil they were done in, but it left no aftertaste and my fingers were dry after quite a few, no greasy sheen. Wonderful.

The salad was the big surprise of the meal. The lettuce was cool and crisp and FRESH, the croutons were deliciously crunchy, it had real crumbled bacon on it, and thin but HUGE shavings of parmesan as well as grated parmesan all over it. The dressing was just-right-on with the garlic, and it wasn't drowning the other flavors. It was very pleasant and contrasted well to the other flavors on the plate.

The Day Later thoughts

So, I can say that I cleared my plate yesterday, and looking back, I can say that it was money well spent. It feels like a good value meal, as well as probably being about 17 times healthier than if one went to McDicks or Wendy's or some such. The burger sat really well with me as well afterwards, no bloat or feelings of false fulness. Just a good meal settling well into the stomach.

Values

Original Joe's Burger: $11.99 before tip and tax
Water: free

Overall

Ambience: 4/5. Warm colors, acceptable background noise, professional staff, and constant attention to sanitary issues (I noticed staff wiping down tables, chairs, etc, even though they were already clean)

Food: 4.5/5. The only letdown, really, was the lack of kick to the gravy. This may be a personal preference, but I like a little oomph to my gravy, something to bring it up a level. Also, the burger was slightly overdone for my personal tastes, however, as I did not specify a doneness level, I cannot realistically deduct marks for that.

OVERALL: 4.5/5 (not an aggregate score). Delicious food, excellent presentation, attentive and friendly staff (our server checked on us four times: original drinks order, food order, "first bites okay?" (giving time to complain if wanted), and "All done?" She was otherwise kind of hovering, but did so at a discrete and very acceptable level and distance), clean locale, and FRESH. That's the overriding feeling of the meal. Everything tasted that-day fresh.

Would go again. :D

Mibz
07-25-2011, 08:26 AM
The fact that I can order everything with a double side of poutine is probably why I'm fat.

Vagabond142
07-25-2011, 08:45 AM
I guess I should also point out that this was NOT a fine dining experience... this is rated on the "Hey, casual lunch with friend I've known since high school" scale :P

dirtsniffer
07-25-2011, 09:47 AM
I used to live across the street from oj's in marda loop. man i love that place, I'm gonna hit it up this weekend when I'm in town for sure. they have a pretty good and reasonably priced breakfast too

2Legit2Quit
07-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Pulled pork from there is pretty tasty, and their sweet potato fries, nom nom nom

Crymson
07-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
I used to live across the street from oj's in marda loop. man i love that place, I'm gonna hit it up this weekend when I'm in town for sure. they have a pretty good and reasonably priced breakfast too

I go there all the time! that's actually the "orginal" orginal joes.

The guys who started it, sold it off to a company who wanted to franchise it then they started "Fergus and Bix" pubs, there is one near cougar ridge, and that "O" in marda is becoming a Fergus and Bix. That place that had a really cool building but utterly terrible food and service.

astro_ng
07-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Gravy, thats where you went wrong! You need to get their dill dip.

Vagabond142
07-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by astro_ng
Gravy, thats where you went wrong! You need to get their dill dip.

my buddy ordered some with his fries. I tried a little, wasn't bad at all. But I'm a gravy fan, and since I can't have it pretty much at ALL anymore, I thought I'd treat myself :D It was pleasant, it just didn't have any zing to it. I wanted "wheee!" and I got "meh..."

A790
07-25-2011, 01:54 PM
lol you'll be spending a lot of time at OJ's, Muldoons, Woody's, and Kelseys :)

Welcome to south trail! haha

ercchry
07-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by A790

i spend all my time at brewsters :D

colinxx235
07-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

i spend all my time at brewsters :D

I did until those bastards took away my blackened steak quesadilla.... still can't resist that patio and raspberry beer haha.

but yah, OJ's is great food, portions are huge with the two sides...

ercchry
07-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235

I did until those bastards took away my blackened steak quesadilla.... still can't resist that patio and raspberry beer haha.

but yah, OJ's is great food, portions are huge with the two sides...

as long as the chicken ceasar pizza stays on the menu im good... was pissed when dumpling night was taken away though...

colinxx235
07-25-2011, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

as long as the chicken ceasar pizza stays on the menu im good... was pissed when dumpling night was taken away though...

lol thats my #2 item consumed. with a side of chipotle dip for the crust... us SE people only have so many options to eat at =(

Kilt will always be a favorite pub though

sillysod
07-25-2011, 02:54 PM

tell me about it. Wife won't go to Woody's but its a perfect place for the "guys" to get together.

Kilt + Caber is okay too but overpriced IMO. I only go there because it is 2 minutes from my house.

A790
07-25-2011, 03:44 PM
lol I live right across the street from south trail... so many options to get loaded on a Friday night!

brokeass
07-25-2011, 03:50 PM
The Brewsters Patio off of 52nd is hands down one of my favourite pubs to get shittered at.

Schooner upon Schooner of the Czech beer.. DELICIOUS

Vagabond142
07-25-2011, 05:33 PM

I sense more reviews coming in my future :D

Davetronz
07-26-2011, 07:56 PM
I was at this OJ's tonight and had the same impression as the original poster, except that I found the gravy quite good.

I had the pulled pork sandwich and fries. Everything was really tasty and the service was good. Wife had the fish tacos and enjoyed them too.

Guillermo
07-26-2011, 07:58 PM
^^can you describe the fish tacos a bit? grilled or fried fish? corn tortillas? cabbage or lettuce, and did it come with a white sauce and how was it? :thumbsup:

kamakurakid
07-26-2011, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo
^^can you describe the fish tacos a bit? grilled or fried fish? corn tortillas? cabbage or lettuce, and did it come with a white sauce and how was it? :thumbsup:

I made these fish tacos last week with sea bass, it was spot on:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/magazine/22food-t-001.html

Guillermo
07-26-2011, 10:34 PM
^^nice, i make similar ones using a hybrid of recipes.

I was just interested in the OJ ones to see if there was a quick place to get relatively authentic ones here in Calgary, but I just looked at the menu online and am not too excited... everything about the OJ ones is wrong. :(

kamakurakid
07-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo
^^nice, i make similar ones using a hybrid of recipes.

I was just interested in the OG ones to see if there was a quick place to get relatively authentic ones here in Calgary, but I just looked at the menu online and am not too excited... everything about the OG ones is wrong. :(

It is difficult to find proper fish tacos, they often cannot even get the tacos correct. Someone ought to do a review of the places offering these gems, they really are so good when done right.

Cooked Rice
07-26-2011, 11:28 PM
Never been disappointed at an OJ's, some of them have granville island maple cream ale on tap now :drool:

boarderfatty
07-26-2011, 11:32 PM
I personally love OJ's, it is a 2 minute walk from my house and I am there 1 or 2 times a week. Good beer selection with decent selection of microbrews on tap. Food wise I go with the sicilian burger if I am hungry, or the Kona burger. I personally think they have one of the best burgers in the Edmonton area period. Their fish tacos are good. If you are expecting fish tacos that you would find in a mexican cantina in LA you will be dissapointed, but it is a good effort and fairly tasty. they use a battered and fried white fish, cabbage, decent peco, sour cream etc. The pulled pork sandwich is pretty tasty as well as the beef dip. their jambalaya is again tasty and a good alternative though not as good as what you would find at an authentic cajun restaurant. My favorite thing they have has to be the wings though, one of the only places in my area that does dill pickle wings.

Overall It is like a restaurant with a decent and tasty variety in their menu and beer selection, but is still classified as a bar or lounge so you can avoid families and children.