PDA

View Full Version : Ski Goggles

-relk-
07-25-2011, 03:20 PM
I am currently in the hunt for some new goggles for the next ski/snowboard season (it is still a long way away I know). Any beyonders have some recommendations for goggles?

From my research I have found that the Smith I/O's seem to be the best. They have that second Sensor lens which is apparently great in low light conditions, which is very important for me being a powder snob now.

These goggles are not on sale right now so I don't really see a point in buying them atm, should I wait till they come out with their new line? Anybody know when the goggle companies usually do that?

As far as what I need from a goggle, I need them helmet compatible, I want to be able to have 2 lenses, one for when it is bright out, and one for low light, and I would like them to not fog very much. My budget can extend to $200, but would prefer to spend around $100. Anybody have any other suggestions?

ExtraSlow
07-25-2011, 03:34 PM
Smith I/O looks like an excelent goggle. I was folliwng a few auctions on ebay, but I was being too cheap, and I didn't win any of them.

Current cheapest ebay listing is about $110 with shipping to Canada. I saw on pair go for $85 last winter. $150 is more average.

skandalouz_08
07-25-2011, 07:45 PM
I rock Anon goggles and love them, comfortable on the face and pretty sure you can interchange lenses if you really want.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-25-2011, 07:50 PM
I prefer Oakley, but I liked my Smiths too, and my Carreras.

almerick
07-25-2011, 08:15 PM
I use Von Zippers Feenoms and they're pretty good. But they were pricey. Mine came with a low light lens as well.

But my suggestion is to buy spherical lens as it allows you to see more.

dimi
07-25-2011, 08:22 PM
I got those Oakleys with the curved lens for $70 on sale. Much better than the Anon's I had. Much wider field of vison. The reason they were on sale though is cause they only had one color....

....Fuchsia

I don't give a fuck though.

sevewone
07-25-2011, 11:27 PM
I bought some Spy MFM solider goggles in Rossland this season, they're wicked. Ive got them on an older "red" helmet and they fit awesome, still lots of slack on the strap.

Only downside is it didn't come with a yellow lens like my old Arnettes.

v2kai
07-25-2011, 11:46 PM
Zeal Eclipse SPPX. Theyre sweet. Fits with my helmet great, good fog control.

Polarized spherical lens. Why do you need two lenses when you have auto-tint?

:thumbsup:

CMW403
07-26-2011, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by almerick
I use Von Zippers Feenoms and they're pretty good. But they were pricey. Mine came with a low light lens as well.

But my suggestion is to buy spherical lens as it allows you to see more.

Best goggles ever made. And I've had ALL OF THEM.

Stunt66
07-26-2011, 03:06 PM
I got some I/O's last year and can't complain. They come with 2 lenses and changing them out is pretty easy but to be honest i havent owned a pair where it was hard to swap out lenses. They've never fogged and we've been out on some pretty cold days. If you can get these on sale i'd go for it but a lot of the goggle suppliers are going to the bigger lens look so maybe hold off until they get released. Quiksilver is coming out with the "Hubble" and I think I seen some new ones by Spy.

Just googled the Zeals to see what theyre about and there's a lot of complaints about the goggles, people were saying they fogged and 1 guy had his lens keep popping out another big thing was the size of these, i guess they're pretty huge. Thats pretty sweet about the tint changing on them though.
http://www.epicski.com/products/zeal-eclipse-sppx-goggle-polarized/reviews/2053

v2kai
07-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Stunt66
I got some I/O's last year and can't complain. They come with 2 lenses and changing them out is pretty easy but to be honest i havent owned a pair where it was hard to swap out lenses. They've never fogged and we've been out on some pretty cold days. If you can get these on sale i'd go for it but a lot of the goggle suppliers are going to the bigger lens look so maybe hold off until they get released. Quiksilver is coming out with the "Hubble" and I think I seen some new ones by Spy.

Just googled the Zeals to see what theyre about and there's a lot of complaints about the goggles, people were saying they fogged and 1 guy had his lens keep popping out another big thing was the size of these, i guess they're pretty huge. Thats pretty sweet about the tint changing on them though.
http://www.epicski.com/products/zeal-eclipse-sppx-goggle-polarized/reviews/2053

My pair held up pretty good last season but they are big lol
http://members.shaw.ca/v2oracle/zeals.jpg

Canmorite
07-26-2011, 06:50 PM
I've had ~10 pairs of Oakley goggles (A-Frames, Wisdoms, Crowbars, etc). I really want to get a pair of the Splices, wider nose piece so it doesn't pinch your nose closed. Can't say enough good things about Oakleys stuff...

atgilchrist
07-26-2011, 11:20 PM
I love my Spy's, and switching out lenses is easy and fog proof. In all honesty, it's probably hard to go wrong with any decent higher-end brands - just find a pair that fits well and looks good!

-relk-
07-27-2011, 08:39 AM
Thanks guys! It looks like I have some more research to do, but I have a feeling I am just going to wait till the new pairs come out next season to decide, seeing how I don't see any awesome deals on anything I want right now.

03ozwhip
01-22-2012, 12:36 PM
BUMP after riding the last few times in very low light and biffing hard because i cant see whats in front of me, i know i need new goggles.

what did people actually get this year and what have you got thats good for low light that isnt stupid expensive. keep in mind i have bad eyes to begin with(dont wear glasses snowboarding, only for night driving) so if this is also you, i wanna hear your comments.

Freeskier
01-22-2012, 12:39 PM
Can you swap lenses out of your existing goggles? If so, just get some low light replacements. The best colors are yellow or pink when the light is flat/foggy or whatever

03ozwhip
01-22-2012, 12:41 PM
no i cant, mine are already pink but they dont help worth shit. i might try yellow though.

My_name_is_Rob
01-22-2012, 01:49 PM
A buddy of mine just picked up a pair from the oakley store in crossiron. Apperantly they have their splice and crowbars on sale right now. Not really sure about the options

mdeleon
01-22-2012, 02:12 PM
I was using Oaklys before. Now I'm rocking Electric G2's and they're awesome! Crazy amounts of peripheral vision!