PDA

View Full Version : What would you guys do?

epp01
07-26-2011, 11:47 AM
K need some wisdom from some of the older members on here. I have a cross roads right now and I'm not sure what direction to take.

I'm 21, I have my 2 years AST degree at SAIT, didn't like working on cars because it was ruining my hobby. I have 5 years of parts experience but have been working auto parts for this large cooperation for about a year. I'll be completely honest with my pay. I make 19.25 currently right now, because I've been so aggressive with my boss and pay raises I have basically maxed out what a parts guy can make here. Unless I went into being a salesmen or into management (from what I've been told management is a ton of bullshit but pretty good money.)

This is all fine, here's the kicker. I currently have 30 grand saved up for a house, and I can't qualify for a mortgage because my income isn't high enough. I want a 250,000 town house realistically. I've told my manager this and he says he wants to keep me with this company and he offered me assistant manager as soon as the current one leaves or quits. But he's been with the company for 25 years and it's probably going to be 10 or so plus years left lol.

I got a job offer with a new company and they're offering me 25 bucks an hour just to start and he said the experienced guys make 30-40 bucks an hour. I'm not sure the advancement with this company though.

My question is, do I stick it out and keep living at home till I save like 100,000 or hope to get a promotion, so what I know eventually 5-10 years will be good money, or do I jump ship and leave a job I know has good advancement just because the pay right off the bat is so much higher?

Interview is tomorrow.. I have no idea what to do.

HiTempguy1
07-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by epp01

Interview is tomorrow.. I have no idea what to do.

Without a co-sign, you will have to have been at your new job for a year before the bank (probably) would give you a mortgage. One year is less time than management dieing off. So, jump ship. Your young, now is the time to push it as far as you can, you don't get to do that when you have a wife and two kids :cry: (not that I am in that position, but that is the way it is).

kamakurakid
07-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Jump ship, your current manager could get hit by a bus this afternoon and his promise to advance you to the assistant manager (or is it assistant to the manager? Office TV show ref.) would expire along the way. Managers always want to keep the status quo, they like things the way they are and as such will promise you whatever it takes to keep you around. Their favourite promises are the ones which have a cost to them of zero, a vague talk about you moving into a new position when the Flames win the next Stanley Cup is costless and worthless.

You need to start thinking more for yourself and understand all companies will pay you just enough to keep you employed and productive and not a cent more. Take a new job, get new skills, meet more people and get your condo in a year or two.

Leave on good terms with your current employer, give plenty of notice. Burning bridges is not cool, you never know who or where you bump into former employees.

Start thinking of ways to get into your own company in the next few years, only then are you free to earn your true worth. Once the wife, kids and mini van come along your excuses for being a blob in a corporation seem all too true. Look around your current workplace, the virus of middle age has spread.

GL

msouther
07-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Yup, as others have said, jump ship and take care of yourself. I am sure your employer's main concern is themselves just like most others out there. Good luck!

D'z Nutz
07-26-2011, 12:09 PM
You know why your manager likes having you around? Because it sounds like you're willing to accept his bullshit excuses to keep you working at your meager salary. If he really wanted you to stay with the company as bad as he claims, he'd find a way to make you stay without giving you what sounds like an empty promise.

I'd jump ship because at the end of the day you have to look out for yourself.

Disoblige
07-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Jump over, and reach your goals :)

You have an opportunity. Take it if you can! Just be courteous and respectful to both parties about it.

Good luck.

KRyn
07-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Lots of good advice in this thread already! I had a buddy who was in the exact same position as you. His now old employer promised him a promotion but everytime he asked about it his manager would make up some bogus excuse. He finally found another job he wanted and it was only when he submitted his two weeks notice that his promised promotion materialized. At this point he was sick of the empty promises and bad policy at his previous employer. He told them to kick rocks and did what was in his best interest, just like you should. Good luck with your decision!

epp01
07-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks guys this has actually helped a ton. The line that was "You know why your manager likes having you around? Because you eat his bullshit" Was completely 100% on the mark. He used to be the best salesmen in all of canada 5 years in a row LOL. Once I took a step back I saw the hole picture. :banghead:

Sorath
07-26-2011, 01:48 PM
attaboy jake, go get what you deserve :)

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-26-2011, 02:01 PM
My contribution: jump ship, I came in and returned some parts to you on Sunday (I think it was you), you didn't seem to be enjoying your job that much anyway.

epp01
07-26-2011, 04:42 PM
Thanks Kasem lol, I don't work sunday's so it must have been somebody else there.

Mar
07-26-2011, 05:40 PM
I find it funny how someone can go to school for 2 years and tell people they have a degree. I hear it a lot.

HiTempguy1
07-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Mar
I find it funny how someone can go to school for 2 years and tell people they have a degree. I hear it a lot.

I already bitched someone out about this on 780tuners. I just went by it, but normally I always correct people. I myself am a technologist, and people that think their diploma is a degree (or that it was "hard" and took lots of "effort") need to give their head a shake.

CUG
07-26-2011, 10:03 PM
I wish a degree took 2 years. Then it might be worthwhile.

Guillermo
07-26-2011, 10:42 PM
^^if you think you're wasting your time, stop complaining, drop out, and do something more productive. :dunno:

[Yu]
07-26-2011, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by CUG
I wish a degree took 2 years. Then it might be worthwhile.

You can get ANOTHER one in 2 years if you already HAVE one =)

TheRealTimHorton
07-27-2011, 12:47 AM
I left Uni and currently going back.. Had no respect for it until I experienced the blue collar life.

Now I have an ultimate respect for both walks.

Good life shit.

ReflexFX
07-27-2011, 01:23 AM
Think about how fucked you'd be if the assistant manager leaves five, ten years down the road and DOESN'T give you the job.
Like others have said, go for the new job.

brucebanner
07-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Definitely jump ship. I stayed around a company for 5 years or so, trying to be the company man, doing whatever I could for them and that didn't really get me anywhere. I had an offer from another company, didn't take it but that same opportunity popped up again a few more months down the road, so I took it and haven't looked back since.

I now make more money, work way less and overall generally more happy where I am now.

Do what's best for you. :thumbsup:

epp01
07-27-2011, 11:35 AM
So, so far it's 10 for jump ship, 0 for stay lol. I agree with jumping ship. Hope the interview goes well.

mugensix
07-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Fuck him man, he wants you there because he knows you will work hard to get the promo, but realistically hes being a typical manger asshole. Go get yooo cash suun

epp01
07-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Went to the interview and blew the guys away. They asked me what I wanted to make, I completely bluffed them and said I made 25 an hour and wanted 30 to move over there. They said 26 and I said I would think about it, then we talked more and more (like an hour for this interview) and he said he could do 27 an hour. He's like that's still 5 grand more a year plus full benefits, and thats just to start. Little did he know it was actually more like 21,000 MORE a year. I agreed to them, and now just have to pass a piss test (all employees for this company have too) which i'll pass with flying colors and I will hand in my 2 weeks.

D'z Nutz
07-29-2011, 10:50 AM
That's awesome! Do yourself a favour: after you do your piss test... don't wash your hands until after you hand in that 2 week notice :rofl: :hijack:

lint
07-29-2011, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
That's awesome! Do yourself a favour: after you do your piss test... don't wash your hands until after you hand in that 2 week notice :rofl: :hijack:

write it in urine

epp01
08-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Update:

I got the job handed in my 2 weeks, everybody here is pretty disappointed and they offered me 2 dollars more an hour to stay. But seems how I'm getting a 10 dollar an hour raise I said no. Now they're all being douche bags and giving me shit work haha. Oh well. Thanks for the advice guys.

kvg
08-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Good for you!! I hope you love your new job. It's always stressful changing employers, but that passes quickly.

The BMW Guy
08-15-2011, 10:47 AM
:thumbsup:
Great advice from the community.
Good luck with your future endeavours and home!

brucebanner
08-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Congrats on landing the new gig and for taking it. Hope it all works out for the best!

D'z Nutz
08-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Well, isn't that funny? They've been telling you you reached the top of the pay scale for your position, but now that you've put in your 2 weeks, they've suddenly found money to try and keep you.

Congrats on your new job!

freshprince1
08-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Congrats man. Good to hear about people moving up and on with their lives in a positive manner. make sure to stay political at your old job while you finish your twoo weeks. You want to keep them as a good reference on your resume. It may suck because they sound like a bunch of douches...but you're the one laughing now.

epp01
08-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Haha it's tough, this is my last week (till Wednesday is my two weeks) trying my hardest not to give any kind of attitude even though they're pulling it on me. This is just the next step in my life and now I can start working on building my future with a home.

bitteeinbit
08-15-2011, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by TheRealTimHorton
I left Uni and currently going back.. Had no respect for it until I experienced the blue collar life.

Now I have an ultimate respect for both walks.

Good life shit.
Same for me! But now I'm also sick and tired of these kids thinking they know it all... As my friend who is in the same boat said:
"It's not that they're young and know nothing, it's that they're young and think they know it all"

brucebanner
08-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by bitteeinbit

Same for me! But now I'm also sick and tired of these kids thinking they know it all... As my friend who is in the same boat said:
"It's not that they're young and know nothing, it's that they're young and think they know it all"

Off topic here OP, but take it easy on the young guys (I'm one of them @ 25). I catch flak from the "old" guys here and there at work (trades) because I guess I'm one of those "young punks who knows everything" when really I just have a new way of looking at things then they are used to. Also, I'll be the first to say I don't know everything nor will I ever and I'm also up for learning from the guys that have been in the trade for a long time, that said, I absolutely hate when young workers are not taken as serious because we "don't know" or because the old guys have been doing it since we were in diapers. With all that said, I does make me happy on the inside when I prove the experienced guys wrong. :angel: