PDA

View Full Version : WTB: celica st205 aftermarket parts

03ozwhip
07-26-2011, 03:23 PM
mainly looking for lowering springs/coilovers and go fast bits, but let me know what you have and how much.

Crazyjoker77
07-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Not to sure how familiar you are with the ST205's or how many kilometers yours has but before you go blow all your money on aftermarket stuff I would make sure your factory stuff is up to par. Reason is the st205 uses Superstrut suspension which is very good performance wise but most people are very lucky to see 70,000k before there figure 8 links need replacing. (super strut was so unrealiable that toyota had to remove the system from their actual rally cars after the first year)

Most shops(willing to bet almost all) have no idea what superstrut suspension and wont check for play in these links.

As well the bushing in the "banana arm" also very commany collapses.

Unfortunatly these parts are very costly. For me I payed 1300$ for 2 lower arms and 2 figure 8 links shipped from the UK

My other friend payed 1800 getting the parts from Japan

My other friend who had to replace both lower arms+fig 8s was well over 2400$

These prices are just parts expect another 3-5hours per side labour. (as well as a special tool to seperate one of the balljoints which i now bought after doing it 3times)

That being said get some K-sports for the superstrut suspension i've ran it and for the price its very good (still around 1700$)(alhtough you still will have to deal with your fig 8 and lower arms)

Most things for these cars arent bad priced but front brake and suspension components are big money)

I've been into these cars for a long time now and can probably answer most of your questions so feel free to PM me

03ozwhip
07-26-2011, 04:35 PM
i appreciate it. i bought the car from jdmsource, i believe they checked everything for the OOP and mechanical and is all in good working order. except for my front brakes squealing when in reverse.

getting some new pads to see if this will remedy it.

Crazyjoker77
07-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
i appreciate it. i bought the car from jdmsource, i believe they checked everything for the OOP and mechanical and is all in good working order. except for my front brakes squealing when in reverse.

getting some new pads to see if this will remedy it.

My car was actually bought from JDM source with 77k on it. by 90k My one side was knocking so bad it was embarrassing to drive. I ordered both sides since i was getting raped on shipping already but found when I went to put them on that the passenger side was already replaced.(which means one side went out before 77. most people expect 80k out of a daily driven car on stock suspension and as low as 50k on a raced car with stiff parts)

JDM source uses Canadian tire(at least they did with the 3 cars ive bought from them) to do their OOP inspections and I can guarantee any of the "techs" there have no idea what superstrut suspension(and probably never seen a multilink setup before) and highly doubt they know to check these links.

As well Not trying to scare you away from these cars but I just did the breaks on mine because they were squealing. I went with EBC stuff which ended up costing 1200$ for just pads and rotors (stock stuff i could of got for around 700)

As well before you go ordering new pads i would take your brakes apart and lube the crap out of them. that was all my problem was. The giant soft stock pads dust alot and really goop everything up I bet if you take it all apart and put copperkote on the back of the pads and proper grease on the sliding pins for the pads your squeal will be gone)

Artega
07-26-2011, 05:54 PM
How many of you are going to Run of the Ogopogo Celica Cruise Aug 5-7?

Many enthusiast are going so you'll likely find some parts.

You can go to 6gc.net if you want a community of 6th gen owner.

cheers

03ozwhip
07-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Crazyjoker77

My car was actually bought from JDM source with 77k on it. by 90k My one side was knocking so bad it was embarrassing to drive. I ordered both sides since i was getting raped on shipping already but found when I went to put them on that the passenger side was already replaced.(which means one side went out before 77. most people expect 80k out of a daily driven car on stock suspension and as low as 50k on a raced car with stiff parts)

JDM source uses Canadian tire(at least they did with the 3 cars ive bought from them) to do their OOP inspections and I can guarantee any of the "techs" there have no idea what superstrut suspension(and probably never seen a multilink setup before) and highly doubt they know to check these links.

As well Not trying to scare you away from these cars but I just did the breaks on mine because they were squealing. I went with EBC stuff which ended up costing 1200$ for just pads and rotors (stock stuff i could of got for around 700)

As well before you go ordering new pads i would take your brakes apart and lube the crap out of them. that was all my problem was. The giant soft stock pads dust alot and really goop everything up I bet if you take it all apart and put copperkote on the back of the pads and proper grease on the sliding pins for the pads your squeal will be gone)

youre now my best friend lol when are you coming over to help? lol

Crazyjoker77
07-26-2011, 11:21 PM
as well if you want to blow some cash fast you can always visit http://www.fensport.co.uk they have probably the biggest selection of proven products for any st205

As well a cheap manual boost controller will really wake your car up. (the car from factory uses less boost in 1st and 2nd gear) and many people claim to run 15-16psi daily with no ill effects and not stressing the fuel system.

03ozwhip
07-28-2011, 11:41 AM
thats what i heard too. i really kind of wanted an EBC just to make sure that i dont overboost and get boost spike, i had alot of problems with my MBC in the MR2 when i had it.

Crazyjoker77
07-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
thats what i heard too. i really kind of wanted an EBC just to make sure that i dont overboost and get boost spike, i had alot of problems with my MBC in the MR2 when i had it.

MBC's are gonna be alot more reliable than a EBC (not to mention cheaper and way easier to install and set) There really are no parts to a MBC its nothing more than a hosing a spring and ball with an adjustment screw. EBC have alot more to fail on them and the solenoids frequently go out.

My 205 came with the Blitz EBC I removed it and put in a turbosmart MBC and couldnt be happier. As well I was using the aem tru-boost in my dsm then switched to a Hallman pro MBC and noticed much more stable boost.

There are 2 differnt designs of MBC ball and spring and bleed type. Ball and spring are the better option but my turbo smart is a bleed type and I still like it.

If you go with a hallman pro you wont be dissapointed.

What kind of problems where you having with your MBC?

03ozwhip
07-28-2011, 01:33 PM
i had a turbosmart MBC in the MR2 and in the beginning it seemed to produce alot of spike, i adjusted it quite a bit and finally got it working ok but it was a PITA for a while. maybe ill look for an MBC again then.

you seem to know what youre talking about with them more than i do, i havent used one in four years so im all new to this tuning thing again lol

03ozwhip
07-28-2011, 02:07 PM
you inspired me lol bought a twosRus MBC. being shipped today.

Crazyjoker77
07-28-2011, 02:48 PM
make sure you have a boost gauge to go along with it before you even attempt to turn up the boost so you know what its running.

These cars have factory boost control so you will have to disable that otherwise you will still be boost limited in 1st and 2nd gear.

To do that there will be 2nipples on the wastegate actuator.

The front nipple is the one you want to use there should be a line running from the compressor cover on the turbo to this nipple. This is the line you splice the MBC into.

The nipple closest to the firewall you have to cap off. As well you will want to plug the hose you took Off this nipple or you will have a vacuum leak in certain situtations. You can also cap the soloinoid that is connected to the other side of this line but its tucked way up under the intake manifold.

03ozwhip
07-28-2011, 03:16 PM
ya im looking for a boost gauge as we speak. good to know all those points, i rememebr something about that when the other one was installed.

Leafy
07-31-2011, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Crazyjoker77

These cars have factory boost control so you will have to disable that otherwise you will still be boost limited in 1st and 2nd gear.

Just Curious, are SW20 Gen II 3S-GTE Running limited boost in 1st and second gear as well?

Sorry for the Thread Hijack.

03ozwhip
08-03-2011, 01:37 PM
MBC is on its way, still looking for some springs...

03ozwhip
08-17-2011, 07:14 PM
i have springs on the way now too. not looking for anything else. THANKS!

Crazyjoker77
08-17-2011, 08:34 PM
what springs did you go with ? are you reusing the factory shocks?

03ozwhip
08-18-2011, 01:50 PM
i just went with S-Techs, apparently the last ones in Japan :dunno: ill be using the factory suspension since its not a substantial drop.