PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used car

lasimmon
07-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Hey guys just wondering if you buy a used vehicle does the license plate stay on it until you register it in your name and get a new one? Looked around cant seem to find this out. TIA.

Maybelater
07-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Are you buying a second vehicle or replacing your old one?

The old plate doesn't stay on the vehicle as it doesn't belong to the buyer, nor is it registered to there name.

lasimmon
07-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Replacing an old one, but i have not sold it yet. Im going to calgary to pick up the vehicle today.. can i drive it to red deer without a licnece plate?

schocker
07-27-2011, 01:17 PM
No, you could get a ticket for not having it registered. I would call the registry and ask about an intransit permit or you could just register it here at a registry and cancel the plate once your other car sells and get the difference refunded.

Maybelater
07-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Nope.

If you're not driving the old one anymore transfer the plate from the old one to the new one, you have about 14 days (not sure the length of time) to transfer the registration from your old vehicle to the new one based on your bill of sale.

Call your insurance and make sure you can do this first though, I'm pretty sure all insurance companies give you a time frame to do this too, but you want to double check to be safe.

spikerS
07-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
Replacing an old one, but i have not sold it yet. Im going to calgary to pick up the vehicle today.. can i drive it to red deer without a licnece plate?

Sure you can.

just don't let the cops catch you.

Mitsu3000gt
07-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon

Just call CPS and take HAWCS back to Red Deer instead.

Maybelater
07-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Just call CPS and take HAWCS back to Red Deer instead.

:rofl:

Kloubek
07-27-2011, 02:10 PM
As stated, if you are buying another car and going to take the plate off the old one and put it onto the new one anyway, then you can drive with your plate for up to 14 days. After that point, it must be registered to be legal.

Do *not* drive without a plate. You'll be pulled over by any cop who sees it.