PDA

View Full Version : Mace

JeffreyrHachey
01-20-2004, 02:05 PM
Hey what gives about thes stupid laws my wife can't event cary mace around for protection what is she suposed to do

Dr.Hachey

Weapon_R
01-20-2004, 02:08 PM
Mace and pepper spray are prohibited weapons because they have been readily used against people far too often to allow members of society to carry them.

JeffreyrHachey
01-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Thats a nice speach and everything but you have to admite that it's not a very fun place to be in when you cant protect your self against a thief

403Gemini
01-20-2004, 04:11 PM
but bear spray isnt! ;) cause you know... bear attacks in calgary could happen at any time (and if anybody wants to beef this up with me, i got this advice from a cop about 4 months ago)

hockeybronx
01-21-2004, 07:58 PM
Who cares about the stupid law? Hide it in her purse or backpack or something and she'll only use it if she has to.

There's no way the court is going to go against her if she gets attacked by a man and she uses it in self defense.

What did you think there are undercover cops wondering around the streets of Calgary checking women for mace?

JordanLotoski
01-21-2004, 08:04 PM
yeah my wife used it once on some crazy bitch that was attcking her at a bar when she was 19....the gulr pressed charges, that were later dropped...big fine for carring mace, pepper spray

kevie88
01-21-2004, 08:04 PM
Yep, I'd say just pack it and don't worry about it. No cop's gonna go thru your purse without cause..

JordanLotoski
01-21-2004, 08:07 PM
well why not carry a gun then??.....or a big knife.....a weapons a weapon..it does suck..i mean specially for a helpless woman

max_boost
01-22-2004, 01:56 AM
It's not illegal if you don't get caught!:D With that in mind, as long as you don't flaunt it, everything will be ok.

Haven't you guys noticed that everytime a fight breaks out, someone gets stabbed? It seems like it's a norm that people carry weapons nowadays. IMO, it's ok for self defense but using it as an advantage to hurt others or showing how tough you are, that's gay:thumbsdow

GTS Jeff
01-22-2004, 03:17 AM
instead of being illegally armed, your wife could avoid dangerous situations by not being dumb, for example:

a. not starting shit
b. not walking around alone at night in the seediest part of town

ZorroAMG
01-22-2004, 11:32 AM
LOL Jeff...such compassion haha

The_1
01-22-2004, 01:03 PM
get dog spray
pretty much the same shit

Khyron
01-22-2004, 01:31 PM
Or enroll the woman in a self defence class then she won't need her purse.

Khyron

3G
01-22-2004, 11:40 PM
What can they charge you with if you have it? Possession of a weapon? If you use it? Assault?

Khyron
01-22-2004, 11:51 PM
I'm pretty sure it's some sort of restricted weapons charge. Assault would depend if you attack or if it's really self defence, and if said victim presses charges (unlikely if he's a mugger or a rapist).

The main problem with the spray is most amateurs would be more likely to spray bystanders. And it's really rather useless if it's in your purse. If some guy grabs her and drags her to his van, she's not going to get a chance to dig it out.

Khyron

rogue
01-22-2004, 11:52 PM
yea they can. Some people have actually died from pepper spray when you have breathing problems or bad asthma. Bear spray is also prohibited as it is more powerful (i was spray by accident couldnt breath at all) you need a permit or license or something for that stuff. Just get one of those collapsable batons that can go in a purse. The problem with pepper spray is that people dont take the stuff serious and wont hesitate to use it.

3G
01-23-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by rogue
Some people have actually died from pepper spray when you have breathing problems or bad asthma. Bear spray is also prohibited as it is more powerful (i was spray by accident couldnt breath at all) you need a permit or license or something for that stuff. Just get one of those collapsable batons that can go in a purse. The problem with pepper spray is that people dont take the stuff serious and wont hesitate to use it.

This stuff is made for animals. If a dog was about to attack you, it'll take the dog out so you can get away. I have one of the ones that shoot in cone shaped bursts.

Aren't batons illegal?

rogue
01-23-2004, 12:25 AM
not sure if they are (prolly are so is everything it seems) but they sell disguised ones that look like a tube of lipstick and stuff.

TrevorK
01-23-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by rogue
not sure if they are (prolly are so is everything it seems) but they sell disguised ones that look like a tube of lipstick and stuff.

Yes batons are illegal.

But I imagine you face the same charge as you would with a spray.

That being said, it would be a bad idea to give your wife a baton as most male attackers will easily be able to take it away from her and possible use it against her.

I don't even think I've SEEN a baton for sale in canada either...

3G
01-23-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by TrevorK
I don't even think I've SEEN a baton for sale in canada either...

Spy City :)

TrevorK
01-23-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Mx6GtTurbo

Spy City :)

Is this a chain store where I might find on in Edmonton?

Are they the strong steel ones like ASP?

3G
01-23-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by TrevorK

Is this a chain store where I might find on in Edmonton?

Are they the strong steel ones like ASP?

They have some good batons. But i dont think there is one in Edmonton. There's 1 in Calgary and 1 in Vancity.

403Gemini
01-26-2004, 05:21 PM
or over net.... i got my "paper weight" over the internet ;)