PDA

View Full Version : Turkey's Military Heads Quit - 29-Jul-2011

broken_legs
07-29-2011, 10:26 AM
ANKARA, Turkey — The chiefs of staff of Turkey's military resigned Friday, media reports said, as tension over the arrest of dozens of officers accused of plotting to overthrow the Islamic-rooted government reached a climax.

The resignation of so many top commanders for the first time ever in Turkey signals a deep rift with the government, which has been confident in confronting a military that once held sway over Turkish political life. The arrests of high-ranking military officers would once have been unimaginable.

The resignations of Turkey's top general, Isik Kosaner, along with the country's navy, army and air force commanders, came hours after a court charged 22 suspects, including several generals and officers, with carrying out an Internet campaign to undermine the government. The commanders asked to be retired as they quit, NTV television said.

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/top/all/7675307.html#ixzz1TVohPMjp

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14346325

sillysod
07-29-2011, 10:38 AM
this is going to be a problem.

ZenOps
07-29-2011, 10:55 AM
You beat me to it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/29/us-turkey-military-idUSTRE76S4NK20110729

"plunging NATO's second biggest military into disarray"

"Friction between the government and military has been fueled by an ongoing trial targeting dozens of senior military officers accused of plotting to overthrow the government."

Turkeys army and navy and airforce are huge (due in no small part to US intervention)

"Retirement" for a military general accused of treason? Thats Gulag right?

broken_legs
07-29-2011, 11:54 AM
it wasn't mentioned in the news, but Turkey also took part in the bombardment of Kurdish villages last week, they just stopped short of actually invading iraq like Iran did.

also of note, recent elections had many Kurds elected. Will we see another 'semi' autonomous Kurdish zone form in Turkey soon?

ZenOps
07-29-2011, 05:28 PM
This thread needs a flashier title.

Turkey military attempts to overthrow own government - would have been my choice.

I wonder if Canada or the US ever really worries about their own military. I mean you can order a F-35 to drop a bomb on someone else - but there is always that tiny chance that you pissed him off or made him deranged enough to wear womens clothing - and that he will instead drop the bomb on you.

sillysod
08-01-2011, 03:44 PM
My wife and son are there now for another month (that's where she's from).

Apparently it isn't a big deal. As much as this president isn't liked this is a good move. The military is pretty corrupt right now and this is a step towards correcting it.

ICEBERG
08-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by sillysod

Apparently it isn't a big deal. As much as this president isn't liked this is a good move. The military is pretty corrupt right now and this is a step towards correcting it.

They are also working towards giving more Power to the Police force in Turkey. The army has been running that country for years and years. Erdogan want's this stopped.

In some ways it is a good move to westernize the country more and let he Police force deal with the problems rather than the army.

We don't see in Europe or in North America Military patrolling streets. So hopefully next step would be to get rid of mandatory army service so i dont have to go and do it.:D

And sillysod,(if i am right) i know your wife and her family for the past 31 years:)

sillysod
08-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by ICEBERG

And sillysod,(if i am right) i know your wife and her family for the past 31 years:)

bok.... :D