PDA

View Full Version : HAHAH you think this might be legal

4CylFiero
01-20-2004, 02:33 PM
E cutout (http://www.dmhperformance.com/ecutout.htm)

click e cut out on the side, probably a good alternative to getting exhaust tickets all the time.

GTS Jeff
01-20-2004, 03:02 PM
that seems quite ghetto imo.

the mod is obviously designed for a street car, but no1 would want their street car to run without any noise control :confused:

buh_buh
01-20-2004, 03:18 PM
Actually I've seen a lot of h-t guys use this setup.
There is noise control until you open up the valve.
This setup is ideal for FI guys who want to keep a sleeper look or keep the noise down while under normal driving, then open the valve when they want to race to prevent restriction in the exhaust.

GTS Jeff
01-20-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
This setup is ideal for FI guys who want to keep a sleeper look or keep the noise down while under normal driving, then open the valve when they want to race to prevent restriction in the exhaust. are there noticeable gains when using open header vs. a well designed exhaust system?

1badPT
01-20-2004, 03:37 PM
Yeah I'm not convinced that you'll see that much of a power gain. There will definitely be an increase in sound which some people may be interpreting as more power.

africano
01-20-2004, 03:59 PM
dude, ppl love using that in the truck community. the tv show Trucks! put that on their project copperhead. It makes more power, but very noisy. it's like running straight pipes.

buh_buh
01-20-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
are there noticeable gains when using open header vs. a well designed exhaust system? Well most people that use this want to keep their stock exhaust to prevent popo from pulling them over and giving them exhaust tickets for being too loud and/or too big.
I don't know about other cars, but in a turbo Honda, the more flow the better. So yes, an open header will yeild more gains than a "well designed exhaust system" that will get you pulled over for having that ginormous tip.

sputnik
01-20-2004, 04:28 PM
that kind of stuff has been done since the 50's

look at the old rods that have "capped straight pipes"... when cruising or at a show... the uncap them for maximum volume...

has little to do with performance

alexisonfire
01-20-2004, 04:47 PM
i agree, especially running those on a honda or something...maybe if you had a very high horsepower engine or something. i put those (non electric, have to open them by hand type) on my 1972 chevelle just after the headers, and its strictly for effect. but on my small block chevy the noise difference is incredible. sounds like a funny car, no joke. its nice for showing off, but i dont think the power gains are an issue.

also, be careful about back pressure when running open headers or anything like this. you couild do some serious damage to your engine.

redline
01-20-2004, 04:54 PM
That cheesefrog guy on h-t.com runs it and he beat a viper!! his car is about ~500whp with the dump tube open.

EK 2.0
01-20-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
This setup is ideal for FI guys who want to keep a sleeper look or keep the noise down while under normal driving, then open the valve when they want to race to prevent restriction in the exhaust.

A LOT of DSMs use those in the U.S....they have a 2.5 inch exhaust system which isnt super ideal...but open up the cut-out when racing or what have you...and I mean a turbo car and hell even a car with a S/C the best exhaust is no exhaust at all...More air in, means the better it is to get that air out right??...

Dunno on a N/A application how great the gains would be...aside from nose...at least on an import...but on the Big Blocks I know they did gain a few ponies and some TQ as well from what I read about them...:dunno:

finboy
01-20-2004, 07:13 PM
gains wouldn't be great on NA, but turbo cars require NO backpressure, and since exhaust follows the easiest path, most of the exhaust flow would be dumping out the open valve.

Khyron
01-20-2004, 07:22 PM
Interesting - I was under the impression that turbo cars need some degree of backpressure?

Khyron

DonJuan
01-23-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
Interesting - I was under the impression that turbo cars need some degree of backpressure?

Khyron
nope from what i understand, the turbo itself causes backpressure ie: from manifold to impeller, so since the backpressure is there in the manifold only, the downpipe and rest of exaust system should be as big and as short as possible for the best flow.

EK 2.0
01-23-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by DonJuan

nope from what i understand, the turbo itself causes backpressure ie: from manifold to impeller, so since the backpressure is there in the manifold only, the downpipe and rest of exaust system should be as big and as short as possible for the best flow.

Exactly...the best exhaust for a Turbo is no exhaust at all...

Mahk Uno
01-23-2004, 12:07 PM
Dont use these unless you have 8 pistons or more...YOU WILL GET MORE TICKETS IF YOU USE THESE..there fuckin loud and there only cool on muscle cars...for gods sake honda drivers/4 bangers/6 cylinders leave these be you car will sound like such crap and you will be laughed at....I run open headers "cut offs" on my nova and its no joke, they scare the shit out of you there so loud!!

EK 2.0
01-23-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Mahk Uno
Dont use these unless you have 8 pistons or more...YOU WILL GET MORE TICKETS IF YOU USE THESE..there fuckin loud and there only cool on muscle cars...for gods sake honda drivers/4 bangers/6 cylinders leave these be you car will sound like such crap and you will be laughed at....I run open headers "cut offs" on my nova and its no joke, they scare the shit out of you there so loud!!

I think most of the people on here who wanna use these mostly want them for say track use man...:dunno:

Mahk Uno
01-23-2004, 12:14 PM
are there noticeable gains when using open header vs. a well designed exhaust system?

Anyone who uses catbacks and fart cans..you are restricting air flow from your engine "Why would anyone want to do that" We dont know....what yall need to do especially turbo users is run straight pipe even better if you happen to own a VW TDI a straight pipe will make your car sound so grimey its sick..plus your getting all the advantages of a free flowing exhaust system..same thing as a cut off only it will sound better and look legal...heres an idea for the performace minded individual...cut off your fart cans...that way you get the sound of your greddy on the street, with the performance of proper exhaust on the strip....And uhh yeah just get rid of your cat converters there dumb and stealing power from you.

GTS Jeff
01-23-2004, 03:37 PM

Anyone who uses catbacks and fart cans..you are restricting air flow from your engine "Why would anyone want to do that" We dont know....what yall need to do especially turbo users is run straight pipe even better if you happen to own a VW TDI a straight pipe will make your car sound so grimey its sick..plus your getting all the advantages of a free flowing exhaust system..same thing as a cut off only it will sound better and look legal...heres an idea for the performace minded individual...cut off your fart cans...that way you get the sound of your greddy on the street, with the performance of proper exhaust on the strip....And uhh yeah just get rid of your cat converters there dumb and stealing power from you. whoa what? ure saying that a straight pipe will sound better than having a proper catback?

and what are u referring to when u say fart can?

Khyron
01-23-2004, 05:23 PM
Interesting - I did some reading with some of the faster VWs, and having 3 inch DP to a 2.5 inch catback makes more power than 3 inch DP to 3 inch catback. But most of the faster times claimed to use dump tubes on the track.

Khyron

Mahk Uno
01-26-2004, 12:59 PM
whoa what? ure saying that a straight pipe will sound better than having a proper catback?

and what are u referring to when u say fart can?

uhh yeah it will..as long as you have some engine mods to back it up a bit..

Fart cans are those "Glass Packs" you guys use to try and sound like your going warp 10 when really your at about 4000 rpm in first gear..

EK 2.0
01-26-2004, 01:10 PM

Fart cans are those "Glass Packs" you guys use to try and sound like your going warp 10 when really your at about 4000 rpm in first gear..

It was my understanding...that "fart cans" were strait thru...at least mine is...

Mahk Uno
01-26-2004, 02:03 PM
Its not about straight thgrough its all the little holes and such inside...exhaust noise dosent come from the amount of smog being expelled its just vibration and what catbacks and mufflers do is suppress the sound waves "more so mufflers" and the different patterns you put inside your muffler will give you different pitches in sound, hence with a straight pipe you have nothing restricting sound, so its super loud..even louder when you get rid of exhaust all together and run open headers.

GTS Jeff
01-26-2004, 05:38 PM
maybe we have a different idea of what sounds nice then...ive always disliked the sound coming out of a straight pipe on a na car. its really loud and high pitched, versus a system with a cat or resonator, muffler, whatever that takes out most of the buzziness.

Fart cans are those "Glass Packs" you guys use to try and sound like your going warp 10 when really your at about 4000 rpm in first gear.. my guess is that u are implying that beyond is some sort of civic-ricer forum :rofl: :rofl:

Mahk Uno
01-26-2004, 10:25 PM
not at all i think theres some sick stuff happenin here...it was just a general post to who it may concern.

GTS Jeff
01-27-2004, 03:29 PM
not at all i think theres some sick stuff happenin here...it was just a general post to who it may concern. what kinda sick stuff?

EK 2.0
01-27-2004, 07:54 PM
what kinda sick stuff?

Jeff stop it leave him alone now...:D

lam-boy
01-27-2004, 08:44 PM
is it like that one frogger dude?
who raced the viper?

Mahk Uno
01-29-2004, 11:50 AM
what kinda sick stuff?

well i dont know a few top end euro cars and some backflip chin kicks seems prety sweet to me, its a good change from the usual vtec overload:poosie:

DonJuan
01-29-2004, 06:41 PM

well i dont know a few top end euro cars and some backflip chin kicks seems prety sweet to me, its a good change from the usual vtec overload:poosie:
Dude for a Newbie you sure know how to get on people's good side. And I wouldn't be suprised to see the Ban stick get pulled out in appreciation.

Mahk Uno
01-30-2004, 11:44 AM

Dude for a Newbie you sure know how to get on people's good side. And I wouldn't be suprised to see the Ban stick get pulled out in appreciation.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, "Me get banned" why would that happen...

DonJuan
01-31-2004, 01:13 AM
I'm not sure I understand what you mean, "Me get banned" why would that happen...
I'm just sayin that there are alot of VTEC fans on high places on this site, and openly bashing Honda and "ricers" constantly won't exactly put you in the good books, and you may just endup getting ignored most of the time, like what people are doing now.

finboy
01-31-2004, 02:43 AM

I'm just sayin that there are alot of VTEC fans on high places on this site, and openly bashing Honda and "ricers" constantly won't exactly put you in the good books, and you may just endup getting ignored most of the time, like what people are doing now.

4 cyls suck

:rofl:

Mahk Uno
01-31-2004, 09:56 PM
no its not about bashing honda or vtec, its actually a prety good concept honda has going with the vtec for those that would have the know how to tune it for performance. as for ricers, everyone has a different opinion i guess on what someone would consider to be a ricer..but we all can admit we have seen some seriously dumb shit done to cars lately..

DonJuan
01-31-2004, 11:30 PM
no its not about bashing honda or vtec, its actually a prety good concept honda has going with the vtec for those that would have the know how to tune it for performance. as for ricers, everyone has a different opinion i guess on what someone would consider to be a ricer..but we all can admit we have seen some seriously dumb shit done to cars lately..

Very nice save! ;) And yes it's true if you want to see some seriously dumb shit all you really have to do is look to the average early 90's Civic. (flame suit get's put on :D )

ninspeed
01-31-2004, 11:54 PM
vtec is so 90's

Mahk Uno
02-02-2004, 09:57 AM
90's or not if i was able to tune my valves like that i would be stylin!