PDA

View Full Version : Bio 30 or Science 30?

Rewizzle
07-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Should I take Biology 30, or just Science 30? I want to be an accountant after high school, and I was just wondering if I need Biology. I would guess Science 30 would be better, because it's a mix of all 3. Opinions please? :nut:

Little Dragon
07-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Science 30.
If you are being an accountant you won't need Bio at all.

Rewizzle
07-29-2011, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Little Dragon
Science 30.
If you are being an accountant you won't need Bio at all.

What about being a Teacher? An Elementary School Teacher, or a Secondary School Teacher. Would I need Bio for that? Or should I just go with Science 30?

Wraith
07-29-2011, 04:13 PM
http://www.educ.ucalgary.ca/upe/
http://www.ucalgary.ca/admissions/alberta_nwt_nunavut

Look at the direct-entry program. Science and kines requires two sciences (bio, phys, or chem) for admission. It will also depend on what you want to teach.

If I were you I would take two sciences in high school to keep your options open, probably bio and chem.

Rewizzle
07-29-2011, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Wraith
http://www.educ.ucalgary.ca/upe/
http://www.ucalgary.ca/admissions/alberta_nwt_nunavut

Look at the direct-entry program. Science and kines requires two sciences (bio, phys, or chem) for admission. It will also depend on what you want to teach.

If I were you I would take two sciences in high school to keep your options open.

Yeah, I might be a social teacher. Idk...

gqmw
07-29-2011, 04:44 PM
As said above, I would take two sciences to keep all your options open.

Rewizzle
07-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by gqmw
As said above, I would take two sciences to keep all your options open.

Yeah, I'll just take Chemistry 20 first semester next year, and 30 the semester after, just so I can keep my options open. :thumbsup:

RecoilS14
07-29-2011, 05:35 PM
Take Bio, it's actually a lot of fun.

403Gemini
07-29-2011, 05:43 PM
I wish I could go back to high school and do all 3 specialty sciences... not science 30, but chem 30, bio 30, and physics 30... i only took bio 30... it was a ton of fun cause we got to cut apart cow hearts and eyes and I learned a ton... but chem and physics interest me so much now (I'm 28).

I honestly wish schooling was done a bit later in your life. I'm so much more eager to learn new things... or I should say I'm so much more aware of things I'm interested in and want to learn more about them now than I was 10 years ago.

Rewizzle
07-29-2011, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by RecoilS14
Take Bio, it's actually a lot of fun.

I already am taking Bio 30 next year, just adding Chem also.

sabad66
07-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Physics/chem would be a better combo IMO, but if you've taken bio 20 already then might as well go chem/bio.

gt2871r
07-29-2011, 06:33 PM
I'm majoring in accounting at U of C, I took one science (Chem) in high school. :D

HiTempguy1
07-29-2011, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
Physics/chem would be a better combo IMO

Yep, this will keep your options open much better in Alberta than Bio. Bio is cool if you have the time though, wish I had taken it.

lison
07-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Do summer school! So you get a taste of other courses!

TheRealTimHorton
07-29-2011, 09:00 PM
If getting good marks is also a factor:

If your strength is memorization: Bio 30
If your strength is math + concept: Physics 30
If your strength is logic: Chem 30

If your weakness is math... Avoid Physics 30.

In order of difficulty, from least to most...
Chem 30
Bio 30
Physics 30

This is my opinion of course.

My favorite of the 3 was physics 30 because of the history of it. You touch upon the foundations of modern science a lot, you learn how the speed of light was discovered, how the charge on an electron was figured out, etc.

I just thought the history was fucking interesting shit and just really great flashes of genius, you develop a great respect for a lot of scientific figures.

Spoons
07-30-2011, 02:17 AM
I took Chem 30, Science 30, and Physics 30.

Like a baus.

gqmw
07-30-2011, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Spoons
I took Chem 30, Science 30, and Physics 30.

Like a baus.

You mean bio 30...haha.

Yeah if you're not sure what you want to do, keeping your options open is best. I find a lot of business majors took chem and physics.

Heru-Farukon
07-30-2011, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by TheRealTimHorton

If your weakness is math... Avoid Physics 30.

In order of difficulty, from least to most...
Chem 30
Bio 30
Physics 30

This is my opinion of course.

My favorite of the 3 was physics 30 because of the history of it. You touch upon the foundations of modern science a lot, you learn how the speed of light was discovered, how the charge on an electron was figured out, etc.

I just thought the history was fucking interesting shit and just really great flashes of genius, you develop a great respect for a lot of scientific figures.

For some reason, I didn't do well with my math pure 30 in High school, but flew with flying colors in Physics 30 lawl.

but yeahh I have to agree that physics is hard, yet soo interesting and fun at the same time. well at least, in my class it was haha.

Little Dragon
07-30-2011, 10:42 AM
I'd have to say Biology 30 is the easiest and most fun of the three (for me at least).

If you take Bio 30 AP (or IB), then you get to go on many overnight field trips like the Kananaskis and the marine observatory at Bamfield, BC.

One of my best memories from high school!

My advice, take all three.

magicalpoop
07-30-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm gonna be honest, you may not like accounting - you should keep your options open.

Take Bio 30, its easy. What if you wanna branch into physio or kines or etc? Science 30 is a joke and waste of ur time, Bio 30 will pay off even if you stay in business.

Not to mention you can take some kines options then I believe with less of a hurdle (the easiest options IMO)

wintonyk
07-30-2011, 07:22 PM
I loved bio classes.Sheep Brain, Cows Heart and Eye, pig fetus. I found all those so interesting. Best teacher I ever had was my bio 30 prof. We go for a beer once and while still.

As most have said if you can keep you doors open. I took bio and chem. But i knew going into grade 10 where i wanted my career to be.

Myrrinda
08-01-2011, 10:38 AM
I'm an accountant and I don't have a grade 12 science. I took French 30 instead, which can be used in place of science. Science is absolutely not needed to get a BComm, so it doesn't matter which one you take, as long as you don't want to take any major sciences in university that would require a prerequisite. Just look at the admission requirements, and talk to your school guidance counsellar. It's their job to help you.

J-hop
08-01-2011, 12:37 PM
take bio 30 for sure. Science 30, or more commonly known as "Tard 30" counts for essentially nothing in post secondary.

I think its great that you seem to have a structured plan of where you want to be later in life (and a good one to boot!). Just remember you may completely change your mind once you hit post secondary, taking science 30 obviously won't close any doors but it could potentially make things harder if you were to decide that you wanted to follow a different path in uni.

FraserB
08-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Chem and physics, both will count for any science req's but you don't close doors to engineering if you change your mind in a few years.

magicalpoop
08-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Myrrinda
I'm an accountant and I don't have a grade 12 science. I took French 30 instead, which can be used in place of science. Science is absolutely not needed to get a BComm, so it doesn't matter which one you take, as long as you don't want to take any major sciences in university that would require a prerequisite. Just look at the admission requirements, and talk to your school guidance counsellar. It's their job to help you.

That's great and I'm not here to crap on you or anything - but this person may not have a second language...and I swear grade 12 science was a REQ to get your alberta diploma..

and seriously...who here didn't take Geology as an option lol? Easiest A- ever...all thanks to some grade 12 science.

You should really keep doors open and take at least 2 sciences...and not Science 30...

403Gemini
08-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by magicalpoop

That's great and I'm not here to crap on you or anything - but this person may not have a second language...and I swear grade 12 science was a REQ to get your alberta diploma..

and seriously...who here didn't take Geology as an option lol? Easiest A- ever...all thanks to some grade 12 science.

You should really keep doors open and take at least 2 sciences...and not Science 30...

Science 20 is enough to get your diploma... least when I graduated... 10 years ago lol

I think it was english & social that need a 30/33 equivalent to graduate, but math and science had to be 20/23.

Tripen
08-09-2011, 01:53 AM
Personally took all three sciences and had a good time doing so. Even took a Physics course in university as an option, and it was a piece of cake considering it was exactly like Physics 30. Ended up being a great GPA booster.

But if Bio is your only interest, and you don't see any merit in chem or physics, then by all means stick with bio. You won't really be limiting yourself if you don't have any current interest in those areas.

There are uni courses that require like a minimum 70% in bio/phys/chem 30, so if you ever want to get into those classes without jumping through hoops, it's best to do them in high school. As others have said, science 30 is a joke.

Good Luck.

TC2002
08-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Rewizzle

What about being a Teacher? An Elementary School Teacher, or a Secondary School Teacher. Would I need Bio for that? Or should I just go with Science 30?

I'm a teacher in the CBE, Elementary route, after degree program at the U of C and Science 30 was just fine in terms of content. But again, like the other people have said, look at the overall admission requirements first.

As for your other comment, if you want to teach Social Studies, you will need to focus on History courses when you get into the U.

Secondary route... you will need to have a Science focused degree in University to teach specific High School Sciences, so you'll probably need Bio 30 if not more than that.

ReasonOne
08-22-2011, 11:16 PM
I had no idea what I wanted to do after high school so I erred on the side caution and took all of them. Chem, Bio, Physics and even Science 30. Fortunately, this turned out to be beneficial down the road.

Keep your options open and take all three IF you can manage it (don't bother with Science 30 if you do, and don't ask why I took it). People change careers and majors all the time so cover your bases.

gqmw
08-23-2011, 12:04 AM
I'm gonna ask...why did you take all 3 sciences and science 30...