PDA

View Full Version : Maxwell Vs Remax

JordanLotoski
07-29-2011, 07:32 PM
So Ive worked at Maxwell for 8 years now and iam thinking its time to make the move up the ladder to Remax. Just curious how many people think national branding and a huge name like remax is worth it.

I know its the realtor that makes the realtor, but if you had to choose between 2 agents both being equal would you go with the Remax agent or the Maxwell agent.?

88CRX
07-29-2011, 07:43 PM
I had never heard of Maxwell prior to seeing your name around.... everyone has heard of Remax.

With that said what difference does it make? Everyone I've ever talked to has picked their agent based on a friend or family members recomendation. Would make no difference in my selection of an realator.

kvg
07-29-2011, 08:05 PM
If you are doing well why change? To me it's all about the person not the company. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Just my 2 cent. Do what you feel is right for you. :thumbsup:

Cos
07-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Well not sure if you are going to a broker but I know for an agent the office fees and the agent fees at Remax are the highest in the business and by a long shot.

But if it can build your career there is nothing wrong with that.

kamakurakid
07-29-2011, 08:34 PM
RE/MAX, it has curb appeal and a long history in real estate. I have spent the last two weeks helping a member of my family polish up their posh house which is now listed with a Calgary RE/MAX realtor, #1 in Canada and #2 in the world. They did not consider anyone other than this realtor, simply due to the fact he gets the job done. Over the years they have bought and sold three or four properties all with the same realtor. I would say it is the realtor him/herself and their record of success which determines a buy or sell listing, all this is better with a big name backing the realtor.

You have success already at MaxWell, playing on a bigger team can only add to the package you are providing. Take the jump, time to shake things up and discover new opportunities.

Mar
07-29-2011, 09:22 PM
I can offer advice from someone that really doesn't know much about selling a house. To me it doesn't matter, I have no idea which company does what all I know is both sell houses. So I would pretty much give my business to whomever called back first and I'm thinking a few others may have the same opinion.

Other than that it's pretty much Jordan > all anyway. Regardless of the company.

CompletelyNumb
07-29-2011, 10:08 PM
What's in it for you if you do move? Just the potential for more "walk-in" business?

ExtraSlow
07-30-2011, 12:01 AM
When I picked you last time, the company didn't enter into the equation. If you were with remax, it still wouldn't. I go strictly on personal reputation.

FraserB
07-30-2011, 12:20 AM
When I get ready to buy your name will be on a very short list. Just going on your reputation here, the company would not matter.

JordanLotoski
07-30-2011, 08:10 AM
Great feedback guys. Ive been on the fence with this for a while, I think more then anything I feel the leads program and national branding could not hurt my business one bit. Yes it is more money to be with Remax, Iam struggling to figure out if its worth it.

ExtraSlow
07-30-2011, 08:38 AM
Jordan, I know your line of work is pretty different than mine, be here's my two cents.
- If your current company treats you well, and you are making "enough" money (whatever that is), don't change.

That being said, you aren't in a typical employer/employee relationship. All my experience is based on that. I've had opportunities to change companies for a ~30% raise, but I'm pretty happy where I'm at. It seems to be a good fit, and I can't put a price on that.

03ozwhip
07-30-2011, 09:06 AM
just something to think about jordan, maxwell vs remax haha
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s5/cory_mr2/maxwellvsremax.jpg

msouther
07-30-2011, 03:10 PM
I was in the same boat as you at the end of last year, except reverse. I started in the biz with Remax and felt that the amount of money I was paying wasn't worth it. If someone decides to hire me or not they are basing it on me only, not the brand.

You have been doing very well where you are. People use you to buy or sell because of what you do, not which brokerage you are affiliated with.

At the end of the day, you have to make the decision, but I think the extra money you would pay to Remax could go towards many other things like marketing, vacations, cars, revenue properties or whatever you so desire.

All the best!

Cos
08-01-2011, 01:09 AM
I dunno, what are you missing at Maxwell in terms of support and growth? Is Remax going to give that?

In no way am I trying to compare our situations but.... I was going through the same thing. I contract out to a few big companies who would love if I came on as an employee. Oddly I have way more opportunity at my current contracting gig then I do as an employee to XYZ big firm.

My point is that although it is nice to be wanted, and sometimes seems as an improvement, long term you know what is best. You may want to be king shit today but really king shit in 25 years with $30,000,000 is the better option.

If you can get the same growth and support at Remax... go. Maxwell has obviously taken you to where you are today and I would think there is a future there if you can capture the other agents and management. Stay humble and smart and you could own the place.

Masked Bandit
08-02-2011, 07:30 PM
I think it's pretty clear that most of people on the board buy Jordan for Jordan, not Maxwell vs. Remax.

However what we don't know is the amount of GOOD leads come cold from the Maxwell vs. Remax name. I don't know how common it is in that industry for someone to call a local office and say "hook me up with one of your guys". So Jordan, does that happen & happen often? Of your last 50 quality leads / sales, how many were hand offs from the office? Any? Or were they all through your personal contacts?

CompletelyNumb
08-02-2011, 08:06 PM
If you're in Maxwell's top 1%, I'm sure you have some leverage on your side for them to match remax's rates.

A790
08-03-2011, 09:11 AM
The realtor can make their own brand. Once you've done that, it doesn't matter which brokerage you work out of.

sputnik
08-03-2011, 09:24 AM
What difference does it make to the buyer or seller?

Thaco
08-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
just something to think about jordan, maxwell vs remax haha
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s5/cory_mr2/maxwellvsremax.jpg

haha, i took that photo as well for that exact reason :)

guessboi
08-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Jordan, to us...I don't think it matters.
We do business with who you are...not the company you are with.

But for you...do a cost benefit analysis and take the chance if you think Remax will give you more leads, etc...

blitz
08-03-2011, 12:20 PM
I thought you did work for Remax.

Shows how much I pay attention to stuff like that.

ExtraSlow
08-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Speaking of more leads, at some point surely there is a limit to how many properties one realtor can move. I assume you have a certain number of hours of family time that you need to maintain.

Would more leads even help? you seem pretty busy.

JordanLotoski
08-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Speaking of more leads, at some point surely there is a limit to how many properties one realtor can move. I assume you have a certain number of hours of family time that you need to maintain.

Would more leads even help? you seem pretty busy.

Very true, Me alone can only handle so much, Iam planning on hiring an office assistant to cover all the paperwork ad in office details.

A790
08-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by JordanLotoski

Very true, Me alone can only handle so much, Iam planning on hiring an office assistant to cover all the paperwork ad in office details.
Once you hit a certain point doesn't it make sense to have a listing agent and a selling agent? Most of the larger Realtors in Calgary work as realty teams.

JordanLotoski
08-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by A790

Once you hit a certain point doesn't it make sense to have a listing agent and a selling agent? Most of the larger Realtors in Calgary work as realty teams.

Ive had buyers agents, they never seem to work for me. I think the best model for myself and my clients is to have me and only me as the face of my business and have an assistant do the back end behind the scenes stuff.

turbotrip
08-08-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm surprised that most people are saying it doesnt matter. I think it makes a significant difference and think it would be worthwhile for you to move to REMAX.

Cos
08-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip
I'm surprised that most people are saying it doesnt matter. I think it makes a significant difference and think it would be worthwhile for you to move to REMAX.

Why do you feel that way?

MintRacer
08-08-2011, 01:38 PM
I think you'd get better feedback from other experienced realtors rather than the avg consumer.

I did speak to a friend recently that was working at a different company for like 8 years and decided to go back to Remax. Sure she was paying more up front fees, but she felt the advantages more than make up for the difference.

Justing
08-08-2011, 05:25 PM
I voted doesn't matter.
I started with a remax realtor before I switched over to you. I care about the realtor, not the brokerage.
Seems like the major players in town build their own personal brand over the agency.

BrknFngrs
08-08-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm on the "doesn't matter" side mainly because it seems like most people I've talked to picked a realtor based on a recommendation from someone they knew or past experience; as opposed to brokerage.

Also, I think there is something to be said for "being a big fish in a little pond" as opposed to the opposite.

Cos
08-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Justing

Seems like the major players in town build their own personal brand over the agency.

Exactly. I have a friends dad (I cant remember his name as it is his step dad) and he focus's mainly in the Edgemont/Varsity area. He doesnt have any reference to Remax anymore except for a white translucent logo in the bottom corner of his posters.

He has a hell of a brand because of himself. Maybe remax helped him get there but Jordan you dont need to get to that first step. From here you have to build a team and create a brand. An office within an office.

JordanLotoski
08-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Exactly. I have a friends dad (I cant remember his name as it is his step dad) and he focus's mainly in the Edgemont/Varsity area. He doesnt have any reference to Remax anymore except for a white translucent logo in the bottom corner of his posters.

He has a hell of a brand because of himself. Maybe remax helped him get there but Jordan you dont need to get to that first step. From here you have to build a team and create a brand. An office within an office.

Heres my resaoning.

Currently iam top of my brokerage and company. I think I need a newladder to climb and strive for higher goals, The agent at the Re/Max office I will be moving to are pretty big players, If i can learn from them and get to a hiher level id be pretty happy. I also think that having a national brand getting relocations and out of town referals may come easier.

If I move over I wont be a small fish in a big pond, I should still rank top 10 or 12 in the office. But having 10 agents that are doing better then myself should help me step up my game.

Make sense? (thanks again for all the opinions)

Kloubek
08-08-2011, 07:24 PM
I'm pretty sure Remax does have a bigger name to most people looking. But then, I'm guessing you've gained a fair amount of word of mouth - so provided you are working at 110% (assuming that is your desired effort level) then going to a better known banner might not make much of a difference other than take up even more of your time as you try to climb that ladder too.

Hiring someone to take on the more menial work would be a great idea regardless. Import a worker if you can.

I guess it all depends on whether the money and recognition you currently have isn't enough. What does the Lambo say? Perhaps you have that burning desire to see how far you can take your career. However, I've known people who did exactly that, and ended up being *less* fulfilled with the decision they made - even if it was more money.

Just be careful to establish your reasons for making a move, and don't close your eyes to any potential issues if you did so. I am surprised that weighing the pros and cons hasn't made it easy to pick a path already; I imagine there must be stand-out pros and glaring cons when choosing something like this...

JordanLotoski
08-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I'm pretty sure Remax does have a bigger name to most people looking. But then, I'm guessing you've gained a fair amount of word of mouth - so provided you are working at 110% (assuming that is your desired effort level) then going to a better known banner might not make much of a difference other than take up even more of your time as you try to climb that ladder too.

Hiring someone to take on the more menial work would be a great idea regardless. Import a worker if you can.

I guess it all depends on whether the money and recognition you currently have isn't enough. What does the Lambo say? Perhaps you have that burning desire to see how far you can take your career. However, I've known people who did exactly that, and ended up being *less* fulfilled with the decision they made - even if it was more money.

Just be careful to establish your reasons for making a move, and don't close your eyes to any potential issues if you did so. I am surprised that weighing the pros and cons hasn't made it easy to pick a path already; I imagine there must be stand-out pros and glaring cons when choosing something like this...

Ive weighed the pros and cons, everything says Re/Max is the next step. The reason I havent jumped on it is its a pain in the ass changing over (cards, signs, advertising and so on)

I think another reason I want to change is Maxwell is getting pretty stale (for me anyways), they seem a step behind and ive been on them forever to get more progressive with the brokerage and company.

BrknFngrs
08-08-2011, 08:06 PM
If I move over I wont be a small fish in a big pond, I should still rank top 10 or 12 in the office. But having 10 agents that are doing better then myself should help me step up my game.

Make sense? (thanks again for all the opinions)

That likely wouldn't be too bad then; I was thinking that the numbers would have varied more drastically. As long as you're comfortable with the temporary change in "rank" and can handle the short term stress associated with it then it could be a great option.

I can definitely appreciate a person wanting to move into a more competitive environment to force themselves to continue growing :thumbsup:

On a side note, sorry if my last comment came off as condescending; I wasn't going for that but it kind of read that way when I saw it again.

Justing
08-09-2011, 09:18 AM
In that case Jordan, assuming your goal is to expand, I'd switch over.
Sounds like remax gives you the resources and opportunity.
It'll be interesting to see what maxwell does to try to keep you though!

JordanLotoski
08-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Justing
In that case Jordan, assuming your goal is to expand, I'd switch over.
Sounds like remax gives you the resources and opportunity.
It'll be interesting to see what maxwell does to try to keep you though!

I've seen some pretty big agents leave Maxwell over the past 8 years, I've yet to hear about an offer from Maxwell to stay....I'd be surprised if they did offer me something. either way from looking at the poll aside from those who don't care, Remax is the clear winner by a landslide .

Thanks again guys for all the great opinions

JordanLotoski
08-10-2011, 12:01 AM
So as of September 15th I will be moving to Re/max professionals. I feel it's a great move for me as the professionals office is top 3 in the city, a great bunch of agents to work with, and a national name.

I will continue to offer all my clients the very best in service and professionalism.

If there s someone out there that could make me a new signature and banner please PM me.

Thanks again for all the great opinions.

el-nino
08-10-2011, 08:33 AM
:thumbsup: I think it's a good move for you! Congrats bud.

Mibz
08-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Grats man, I look forward to seeing the fleet of exotics this affords you.

GOnSHO
08-10-2011, 09:05 AM
congrats jordan!

JordanLotoski
08-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Thanks alot.

I think my name looks pretty good in Blue
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/285437_10150336377173384_581198383_9599040_4904767_n.jpg

max_boost
08-11-2011, 12:48 AM
Good luck man. Hope you do even better with ReMax.

ExtraSlow
08-11-2011, 06:11 AM
Congratulations Jordan, I hope your success continues to grow.

HRD2PLZ
09-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Congrats on the brokerage change, Jordan. When I left LePage for RE/MAX years ago, I did see an increase in business. Also, an increase in quality leads. Of course, it all comes down to the Agent. I worked with a few RE/MAX offices in Calgary and imo, the office you've chosen was hands down, the best. The management, staff and fellow Realtors out of that office are simply superb :thumbsup:

TomcoPDR
09-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Congrats. There's still one Maxwell logo in the banner tha hasn't been changed.

JordanLotoski
09-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Congrats. There's still one Maxwell logo in the banner tha hasn't been changed.

Everything shoud be switched over. Thanks for the heads up:thumbsup:

canadian_hustla
09-04-2011, 08:19 AM

Everything shoud be switched over. Thanks for the heads up:thumbsup:

congratz on the move! There is still a logo that hasnt been changed. There is a small maxwell logo in the main "real estate/finance" form

Ven
09-04-2011, 09:21 AM
It's the name 100% not the company at all. Here's a very recent example.

My Mom wanted to sell her house to downsize, and as it often happens she gets a referral from a friend of a friend that's used some person from years back and thought she was nice. That's what she got, a nice, no name, no results boom days, housewife Realtor, that didn't even draw any showing into a NW estate area. This dud Realtor ended up costing time, money and significant stress which of course upsets my Mom and royally hyper pissed my off. She fired that turd and brought in Kirby Cox. I couldn't even tell you what company he works for, but I know his name, I know he's been around for a hundred years and is always the top or at the top of his industry. The guy was about results and that's what we got, huge and consistent showings, exceptional advice and support, excellent marketing. The house sold in a few weeks for good money. It's was the total opposite of the prior Realtor. His name means results and industry performance, and why wouldn't someone want that trying to sell their home? This got long winded but I wanted to make the point. Don't care what company, only care about RESULTS!

Best of luck to you on the move Jordan.

JordanLotoski
09-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Ven
It's the name 100% not the company at all. Here's a very recent example.

My Mom wanted to sell her house to downsize, and as it often happens she gets a referral from a friend of a friend that's used some person from years back and thought she was nice. That's what she got, a nice, no name, no results boom days, housewife Realtor, that didn't even draw any showing into a NW estate area. This dud Realtor ended up costing time, money and significant stress which of course upsets my Mom and royally hyper pissed my off. She fired that turd and brought in Kirby Cox. I couldn't even tell you what company he works for, but I know his name, I know he's been around for a hundred years and is always the top or at the top of his industry. The guy was about results and that's what we got, huge and consistent showings, exceptional advice and support, excellent marketing. The house sold in a few weeks for good money. It's was the total opposite of the prior Realtor. His name means results and industry performance, and why wouldn't someone want that trying to sell their home? This got long winded but I wanted to make the point. Don't care what company, only care about RESULTS!

Best of luck to you on the move Jordan.

100% agree. But let me ask you this, both agents being completely equal, same marketing, same price, same commission...who do you go with Maxwell or Remax?

KappaSigma
09-04-2011, 11:06 AM

100% agree. But let me ask you this, both agents being completely equal, same marketing, same price, same commission...who do you go with Maxwell or Remax?

To me name doesn't matter as both are well known. It would be different if it was Macwell or Remax vs a small boutique firm.

Ven
09-04-2011, 12:53 PM

All things being totally equal stats wise. I would go with who I got along the best with, who made the best impression and connection, and who I think I can work with more effectively.

Of course there's other important factors I'm not considering here. Like do you specialize in that community, do you have a lamborghini, and other important kind of stuff.

eblend
09-04-2011, 09:00 PM

To my, Remax is like Walmart, their logo is everywhere and it doesn't have that personal feel, but a ton of people go there. I personally see a smaller agency as a better place to go as I feel I will get a more personal experience. I know when I was looking for buy I contacted some big shot at Remax that was recommended to me, but when his assistant answered and I didn't get a call back until the following tuesday from the agent (i made the initial call on friday), I said screw that and went with Jay. With Jay I got that personal feeling where he answered my calls pretty much any time of the day, was very flexible with communication meathods (PMs, TXT, e-mail, phone) and didn't need an assistant to get back to me. This alone made it worth it for me. I think my experience left a bad taste in my mouth with Remax, and I just look at them like I do at any large company, just out to make money with be being customer #3542523 vs my name. This is all my opinion ofcourse. Goodluck at Remax.

JordanLotoski
09-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by eblend

To my, Remax is like Walmart, their logo is everywhere and it doesn't have that personal feel, but a ton of people go there. I personally see a smaller agency as a better place to go as I feel I will get a more personal experience. I know when I was looking for buy I contacted some big shot at Remax that was recommended to me, but when his assistant answered and I didn't get a call back until the following tuesday from the agent (i made the initial call on friday), I said screw that and went with Jay. With Jay I got that personal feeling where he answered my calls pretty much any time of the day, was very flexible with communication meathods (PMs, TXT, e-mail, phone) and didn't need an assistant to get back to me. This alone made it worth it for me. I think my experience left a bad taste in my mouth with Remax, and I just look at them like I do at any large company, just out to make money with be being customer #3542523 vs my name. This is all my opinion ofcourse. Goodluck at Remax.

I hear what your sayong 100% agree. I can promise this, the personal feel will always be priority with how I conduct business. Most of my clients know they can text/call or email and will get a response asap.

Thanks again for the feedback

Billy2K
09-05-2011, 12:11 AM

Ive weighed the pros and cons, everything says Re/Max is the next step. The reason I havent jumped on it is its a pain in the ass changing over (cards, signs, advertising and so on)

Congratulations, Jordan. I hope you'll gain lots of experience from the bigger fishes. If I recall, your jag had your old banner printed on it. Does that mean you'll be getting a new car? :nut: :burnout:

JordanLotoski
09-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Billy2K

Congratulations, Jordan. I hope you'll gain lots of experience from the bigger fishes. If I recall, your jag had your old banner printed on it. Does that mean you'll be getting a new car? :nut: :burnout:

I wish it was new car time...Ill have the Jag for a while as who knew they have crappy resale value hahaha