PDA

View Full Version : Issue with Guys Hill Landscaping

Kloubek
07-29-2011, 09:21 PM
So guys, here is a "what would you do situation".

This spring I was approached by a landscaping company called "Guys Hill Landscaping", who wanted to use the side of my property to bring a cat down to do work 2 doors up. (The ideal route one door up has cantilevered fireplaces and is much more narrow).

I said "ok", as long as they made it look good when they were done. I had grass which I planted from seed - though it was hardly a showpiece. They started soon after.

I dealt with a lot with this company working. My driveway was always blocked off when I came home, the noise, the dust, the fact I always step in mud when getting in my truck after a rain, their cat broke the wheel on my garbage can (which they didn't admit to) I could go on and on.

They completed the project about a month ago.

Then I see that my gutter is all smashed up on the corner they were working by. Clearly their fault - though a neighbor tells me the owner of the company believes otherwise. This damage was clearly done by a vehicle. Only a cat fits with my truck parked there 99% of the time.

Over the last 2 weeks I have left 4 messages on this guy's voicemail, and no return call. I sent him an email marked urgent, and he has not responded. Over a week ago he did respond to the owner who got the work done, and told him he was going to fix the damage in front of my place when it dries up enough to bring the cat in again. (He also left a mountain of dirt/debris in my next door neighbor's backyard - which is why they really need the cat.)

His company is a member of the BBB in excellent rating - so there is one avenue I might hit. I know I could sue, but it seems impossible this cannot be worked out without the courts' help.

Thoughts? I'm getting really pissed off and looking for any other ways I can try to get this guys attention.

Edit: I decided to reveal the company name. The fact is that even if he contacts me, the horrible experience still happened and as another poster said - the public deserves to know. They also deserve to see how he handles it.

So if anyone finds this thread online to see reviews on Guys Hill here in Calgary - here is the one you really need to pay attention to. If I find somewhere else to write a review that I feel will get more traffic, I probably will... especially as he continues to ignore me.

A790
07-29-2011, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
So guys, here is a what "would you do situation".

This spring I was approached by a landscaping company, who wanted to use the side of my property to bring a cat down to do work 2 doors up. (The ideal route one door up has cantilevered fireplaces and is much more narrow).

I said "ok", as long as they made it look good when they were done. I had grass which I planted from seed - though it was hardly a showpiece. They started soon after.

I dealt with a lot with this company working. My driveway was always blocked off when I came home, the noise, the dust, the fact I always step in mud when getting in my truck after a rain, I could go on and on.

They completed the project about a month ago.

Then I see that my gutter is all smashed up on the corner they were working by. Clearly their fault - though a neighbor tells me the owner of the company believes otherwise.

Over the last 2 weeks I have left 4 messages on this guy's voicemail, and no return call. I sent him an email marked urgent, and he has not responded. Over a week ago he did respond to the owner who got the work done, and told him he was going to fix the damage in front of my place when it dries up enough to bring the cat in again. (He also left a mountain of dirt/debris in my next door neighbor's backyard - which is why they really need the cat.)

His company is a member of the BBB in excellent rating - so there is one avenue I might hit. Beyond could be helpful. I know I could sue, but it seems impossible this cannot be worked out without the courts' help.

Thoughts? I'm getting really pissed off and looking for any other ways I can try to get this guys attention...
Inform him that you have been more than reasonable, but now you are obligated to seek alternative means of resolution and will be consulting with counsel shortly.

If he's smart he will call you.

Kloubek
07-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Already suggested in my email I would be forced to use "alternate means". I thought that was enough for him to read between the lines with...

astro_ng
07-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Let us know what company did this. You should inform the general public of companies that treat others so poorly after the fact that you allowed him to do so much work on your lawn!

sevewone
07-29-2011, 09:52 PM

His company is a member of the BBB in excellent rating - so there is one avenue I might hit.

BBB is bullshit, it doesn't always mean anything. Companies pay BBB for a good rating. Its like Universities accepting "donations" from parents when there child is attending. Here's a link that gets a little more into it.

http://www.canlaw.com/caveat/bbb.htm

bwling
07-29-2011, 10:21 PM
The guy lives in Kincora (Kincora Point). Pay him a visit to talk to him face to face since he is not returning your messages.

ddduke
07-29-2011, 10:50 PM
By gutter do you mean your downspout? Did they run over it? If that's what they did then that's pretty pathetic that they wont replace some peices that cost a few dollars each and are held in with just a few screws.

Or do you mean your window wells? Because if they're not braced with atleast 2x4's then they'll buckle like nothing. I've seen it happen a few times and they're definitely at fault.

I remember when they were working in front of your house and there were piles of dirt/dump trucks/trailers/cats/etc. everywhere, your whole block was a shit show.

sillysod
07-30-2011, 12:50 AM
Pay a laywer to draft a letter. I guarantee you he will get in touch with you and fix everything.

ExtraSlow
07-30-2011, 08:32 AM
make sure you pay your lawyer though, unlike sean scammerjee

kamakurakid
07-30-2011, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by sillysod
Pay a laywer to draft a letter. I guarantee you he will get in touch with you and fix everything.

This^^^^^

I have successfully used university "lawyers" in the past to settle a situation like this with one simple letter asking for action, U of C has an option:

http://www.sla.ucalgary.ca/

Outing the company here is good. Most everyone Googles pre doing anything these days, you can kill at least a nice portion of his potential customers. Beyond does well in Google ratings, and we can discuss the shit out of it and get a nice top of the fold search area.

Just keep naming the company in the discussion.

Make a complaint here, it will go on public record I believe:

http://www.bbb.org/calgary/business-reviews/landscapers/guys-hill-landscaping-in-calgary-ab-68936

kamakurakid
07-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Is this the guy you are contacting?:

Craig Gordon
General Manager

P: 403 217 9112
C: 403 616 5110
Email: [email protected]

http://www.guyshilllandscaping.com/#!contact

badatusrnames
07-30-2011, 09:12 AM
I sent him an email marked urgent

Oh man, that's when you know shit has gotten real.

Mixalot27
07-30-2011, 09:36 AM
Take a drive to his house, remove the gutter and replace it with the broken one from your house. While you are at it also replace the wheel from his garbage can and maybe have sex with his wife.

Sal0
07-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Before you got into this mess, you should have talked to the owners of the house and advise them to hold back on payment until your area has been cleaned up. It might be a little to late for that now.

Kloubek
07-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Yeah, they've already paid him so he obviously doesn't give a crap anymore.

Yes kamakurakid - he is the owner of Guys Hill Landscaping, and is the one I've been trying to get in touch with.

dduke: Indeed it looked like crap. And I had to put up with everything for months already. By gutter I mean the actual evestrough, which runs into the downspout. The whole corner where it attaches to the house is crushed, along with the metal that covers the corner of the garage up top. (Which means I have exposed 2X4's right now.)

cde1966
07-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by kamakurakid

This^^^^^

I have successfully used university "lawyers" in the past to settle a situation like this with one simple letter asking for action, U of C has an option:

http://www.sla.ucalgary.ca/

Outing the company here is good. Most everyone Googles pre doing anything these days, you can kill at least a nice portion of his potential customers. Beyond does well in Google ratings, and we can discuss the shit out of it and get a nice top of the fold search area.

Just keep naming the company in the discussion.

Make a complaint here, it will go on public record I believe:

http://www.bbb.org/calgary/business-reviews/landscapers/guys-hill-landscaping-in-calgary-ab-68936

That's bad that Guys Hill Landscaping has done this to you. Guys Hill Landscaping should atleast answer your e-mails. I don't think I'd use Guys Hill Landscaping for any work, neither should my friends use Guys Hill Landscaping. Guys Hill Landscaping has some jobs posted on the internet. Guys Hill Landscaping should maybe hire better people. maybe if someone was to e-mail Guys Hill Landscaping at let them know about Beyond.ca then maybe Guys Hill Landscaping could post a reply... Guys Hill Landscaping Guys Hill Landscaping Guys Hill Landscaping Guys Hill Landscaping Guys Hill Landscaping Guys Hill Landscaping Guys Hill Landscaping Guys Hill Landscaping Guys Hill Landscaping Guys Hill Landscaping .

Kloubek
07-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Even if it isn't expensive, I shouldn't *have* to threaten legal action with a lawyer... let alone go through with it. But I'll do what I have to; all I really expect immediately is a phone call. I guess that is too much to ask. :(

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/7/a/f/278145/preview_img_87030.jpg?rev=0

Front yard is like this up to the road - muddy tracks.

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/7/a/f/278145/preview_img_87040.jpg?rev=0

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/7/a/f/278145/preview_img_87060.jpg?rev=0

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/7/a/f/278145/preview_img_87070.jpg?rev=0

A790
07-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Title changed for better SERP ranking.

ipeefreely
07-30-2011, 09:13 PM
That's a pretty shitty situation! :thumbsdow

Did you have any paper work or was it an oral agreement?

Any pictures of before they did any work?

They probably took advantage of you because you were being nice to your neighbor so he could have his work done .

I would have told them they could only use the area if they use mats or plywood seeing it probably one of the wettest years we had in a long time.

I'd try the Global/CTV Troubleshooter shooter and put in a report with the BBB since they are the second hit on Google (for now :devil: )

Beyond.ca

Guys Hill Landscaping Guys Hill Landscaping Guys Hill Landscaping

astro_ng
07-30-2011, 09:19 PM
After seeing those pictures, i'd skip being nice. It's obvious he is avoiding you and when/if he does contact you, he'll make some BS about how his email was down.

What a pity that you have to waste your own time/resources to make things right. Bad situation, but go get your house fixed with his money! :thumbsup:

garnet
07-30-2011, 09:45 PM
knowing the owners name now, put a lein on HIS house!

Even if it isn't expensive, I shouldn't *have* to threaten legal action with a lawyer... let alone go through with it. But I'll do what I have to; all I really expect immediately is a phone call. I guess that is too much to ask. :(

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/7/a/f/278145/preview_img_87030.jpg?rev=0

Front yard is like this up to the road - muddy tracks.

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/7/a/f/278145/preview_img_87040.jpg?rev=0

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/7/a/f/278145/preview_img_87060.jpg?rev=0

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/7/a/f/278145/preview_img_87070.jpg?rev=0

FraserB
07-30-2011, 11:50 PM
He probably knows your number and just doesn't answer; call him from one he won't recognize, set up an "estimate" at a friends house and talk to him in person. So long as you park legally you can even box him in;)

kamakurakid
07-31-2011, 12:33 AM
After doing a review of Guys Hill Landscaping and their business practices in Calgary, I have decided to call them next week and ask for a quote on my $50,000 worth of landscaping. I know they have treated the OP badly and I will ask about this and mention this simply is a company I will not do business with as their track record in landscaping is very poor.

Should they wish to clear the wrongs, I am willing to let them quote on my landscaping job. Otherwise they are a scam operation.

You should also make a video showing the damage and post it on YouTube. It will aid in the SEO word search for future customers.

Kloubek
08-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Update:

Today as I arrived home, I noticed that the area that was torn up along the side of my house was rectified with sod. My neighbor's huge dirt pile was removed, and his backyard along with the space between our houses was graded. It looks much better.

Craig was speaking to my wife at my front door - which is when I took over the conversation with him. He was reasonable, we both listened to each other and had a very civil discussion.

Turns out he was already aware of this thread via individuals at his office. Not too sure how, since it hasn't ranked very high yet in the search engines. He says God will dictate the contracts he gets... which I found interesting. Said he felt that posting in a forum was a cheap move - though I explained to him that I would not have done so if I just received a call from him. He said that he felt he *had* communicated indirectly with me, via my wife and neighbors. I disagree, but can see how one could feel that such communication was "good enough"... especially when they have so many other "paid" projects on the go.

Now the big deal: The crushed gutter/eve. He tried banging out the damage, and reconnected the metal that had peeled away.

I discussed with him that I did not feel that there was any other possible way it could have been damaged other than by his crew. He didn't disagree that it seemed the most likely source of the damage, but (as expected) pointed out that I could not prove 100% it was them either, and that none of his crew told him they had done it. (Also expected). I feel the pictures and evidence I have would easily hold up in court, but he is right - it is impossible to say it was them with absolute certainty. By the end of the conversation, he told me to get a quote from a company that does that kind of work and he would pay it. Given that there is at least a shred of doubt it was the fault of his company, I still felt this to be a stand-up move.

Now that he is finally moving on it, it does appear he is trying to rectify the situation. I should also mention that he did pro bono work in my neighbor's front yard (the house between mine and the original job) which included flowers, mulch, and a few landscaping bricks. While this doesn't help any situation of my own, I don't think it would be fair not to mention it.

I maintain that the communication was inadequate - and the length of time it took to get his job done, and then the length of time to rectify my front yard was also inadequate. He did agree on both accounts. However, as I'm sure can be seen by my softer tone, I'm much relieved to have at least some progress, and to have actually spoken to him face to face.

Hopefully he stays true to his word and I get full resolution to this issue. In speaking with him I did not get the impression he was shady, nor did he at any time outright attempt to say the eve damage was *not* their fault. (Though even the suggestion otherwise seems somewhat absurd to me)

I will update this thread once the corner of my garage is fixed - as it is only fair for anyone who pulls this up in a search engine in the years to come to see how it ended.

kamakurakid
08-02-2011, 06:54 PM
"God will dictate the contracts he gets", God in her many forms really could not care less how this is resolved. If it turns out well, so be it and praise the God called internet. The person who trashed your eves and yard know exactly what they did and the fact you had to lift a finger to get it resolved says buckets about this company and the employees.

02WhiteWs6
08-02-2011, 07:08 PM
I have no doubt he would have screwed you if you hadn't of made his actions semi public in the forum. "God will dictate the contracts he gets", what a class act. I'm thinking scum bag reputation would have more effect on his contracts.

Personally I would never deal with aholes like this. It's how they act when they think they can get away with it, that determinds the kind of person they are. Not how they act when forced by public pressure.

Takes 10sec to return an email. Even to say your looking into it. After he pays for your repair, I'd send him an email pointing out how big of a prick he is.

Mixalot27
08-02-2011, 07:12 PM
The fact the he even attempted to deny his company is responsible for the damage and says you can't prove it is pretty pathetic. I mean what are the chances that damage like that would just happen to occur at the same time that his company is doing work on the exact area? In my opinion, the guy sounds like a dishonest weasel, trying anyway he can to deny taking responsibility for his actions. I wouldn't be surprised if you still have a difficult time getting compensated by this weasel.

A790
08-02-2011, 07:26 PM
The bottom line is that he is repairing the damage. It doesn't matter at this point how or why. I think before we roast the company further we should at least consider how many fly by night operations would have told the OP to shove it.

Mixalot27
08-02-2011, 07:37 PM
^Couldn't disagree more. Just because they aren't the shadiest, worst, fly by night company out there, doesn't mean they are a good company to deal with. When having a problem with a business, how the company deals with that problem makes a big difference in your overall satisfaction. Ideally you want a company that takes responsibility for its mistakes and goes out of its way to rectify them to the customer's satisfaction. What you don't want is to have to chase them down just to get a response, then have them deny the mistake, and only agree to rectify it due to negative public exposure. That is a piss poor company and one not deserving of future business or respect.

A790
08-02-2011, 07:55 PM
I never said anything in regards to the company being good to deal with. I said let's just be happy it's be resolved. I'd prefer to make judgement after the repairs have been made, as I don't want to give them any reason to reneg on their agreement.

If the owner feels that they have nothing to gain (ie- preservation of their reputation), they may do exactly that.

Kloubek
08-02-2011, 08:03 PM
I honestly think everthing should be taken for what it is - without assuming either way.

Here are the facts:

They tore up my front lawn (as it was).
They almost certainly damaged my house.
They took forever to get the project done, and fix my lawn.
His communication could (and should) have been better.

...and:

He has already replaced the lawn with a better one than was there before.
He has offered to pay for the repair.
He apologized for the time it took to complete the project and repair my lawn.
He apologized for the lack of communication.

If he changes his mind on paying for the repair, I'll be on the same side as all you nay-sayers and this will blow up to epic proportions. But as long as he takes care of it, I just want to be done with it instead of holding resentments or spite - or even assuming what his motivation may or may not have been. Because at the end of the day, nobody really knows for certain.

But I *can* say this: If someone asks to do something like this again, I will probably say no unless there is outright compensation provided. This was just too negative of an experience to go through a second time.

cam_wmh
08-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by A790
The bottom line is that he is repairing the damage. It doesn't matter at this point how or why. I think before we roast the company further we should at least consider how many fly by night operations would have told the OP to shove it.

Sorry Cam. Love ya. Babysat ya. :rofl:

BUT FUCK THAT.

That's the owners name, not a random numbered registered company. He is vested %100 into this thread, and cleaning up Kloubek's yard. He ain't flyin anywhere.

If his name is worth anything, he'll bring it to better that it was before. Let's not forget, that Kloubek did "Guys Hill Landscaping" a FREE service, by accommodating their landscaping crew, and equipment. As a thank you, it's EXPECTED as COURTESY to be at par as before.

BUT AFTER all the duress, Craig Gordon's company has caused, he better give Kloubek the reach around, and smile while doing it.

But I *can* say this: If someone asks to do something like this again, I will probably say no unless there is outright compensation provided. This was just too negative of an experience to go through a second time.

Not just precedent to Kloubek, but I'd hazard to many of this threads' readers.

blitz
08-02-2011, 11:38 PM
I hate situations like this where you have to essentially threaten guys with bad PR to get them do to what's right. I will never use Guys Hill Landscaping (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=338028&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=2) because it sounds like Guys Hill Landscaping (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=338028&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=2) is an amateur operation.

Look at how much trouble and work was created trying to be nice to people.

Guys Hill Landscaping (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=338028&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=2)

PGTze
08-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Had you not made this thread who knows if you would have heard from him again.

Anyone that uses the term 'God' in a business environment is a sketchy individual in my books. Beyond will dictate is more appropriate.

garnet
08-04-2011, 12:46 PM
.....should have said to him "God told me to start this thread" :)

KandabashiDevil
08-04-2011, 01:38 PM
The bottom line is that he is repairing the damage.

Wrong.

It doesn't matter at this point how or why.

Wrong.

You're having trouble ... Here, let me help you :)

The bottom line is that he is only repairing the damage because his business was threatened by the OP.

It matters at this point because how he fixes it will be questionable & we know he is repairing the damage for all the wrong reasons.

I think he deserves some redemption for attempting to resolve. That doesn't get him off the hook for being negligent and evasive.

A790
08-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by KandabashiDevil
I think he deserves some redemption for attempting to resolve. That doesn't get him off the hook for being negligent and evasive.
Ignoring the pedestal you were standing on in the earlier portion of your post, I agree with the point I've quoted. My point was simply that we should appreciate the fact that at least it's being resolved. That doesn't excuse his prior behavior regarding Jeff's house, but it does at least show a step in the right direction.

hampstor
08-04-2011, 03:34 PM
The owner of that company lives pretty close to me...

I can remember when my backyard was done and they had to bring a bobcat in thru the neighbor's yard. The landscaper left it up to ME to ask because he gave me 2 options, 1 was to ask my neighbor, and the other was pay for them to pull down the fence and then put it back up after. Needless to say, before I even asked my neighbor I had to ensure that the liability for any damages caused due to their negligence did not fall on me.

Notwithstanding the damage they did to your place, what's the quality of the final work they did on your neighbor's yard?

bwling
08-04-2011, 04:22 PM
My sister-in-law had Guys Hill do their landscaping last year and they actually did a really good job. All of their work that I have seen appears to be really well done.

It's unfortunate that this situation with the OP happened and that Guys Hill didn't actively seek a resolution to the issue until the problem got posted here. Good to hear that it will be rectified though.

Kloubek
08-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
Notwithstanding the damage they did to your place, what's the quality of the final work they did on your neighbor's yard?

It looks awesome. I have an idea how much he paid though, so it *better* look awesome for that price...

The road in front of our places was a mess for a very long time - so I think their cleanup/processes could be improved - but the end result is quite dramatic and my neighbor seems pleased with the overall result.

EDIT: Thread just hit the 1st page in Google. Beyond + very half-assed SEO terms = *gold* in the search engines.

imhungry
08-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Honestly... Guys Hill charges way too much for landscaping.

I got a quote from them for about $25,000 to do my landscaping. I got a few more quotes from other companies at fractions of the price.

I settled for a smaller family landscaping business for only $6000 for a similar landscaping job.

2002civic
08-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by imhungry
Honestly... Guys Hill charges way too much for landscaping.

I got a quote from them for about $25,000 to do my landscaping. I got a few more quotes from other companies at fractions of the price.

I settled for a smaller family landscaping business for only $6000 for a similar landscaping job.

+1 they are waaaay overpriced, but have slick sales people designing oasis' that cost 5x what you are looking for.

charlie2
10-21-2011, 10:29 PM
How's your new eaves trough OP?

Guys Hill Landscaping, hmm.... The owner is an arrogant prick.

I had similar issues to OP when he did my neighbours yard. Driveway always blocked, big piles of dirt and rocks on the street, ripped up the side of my yard and NEVER fixed it after asking repeatedly, took them forever to finish and it goes on.

However....he seems to do a really nice job, if you want to pay the high end price, deal with his arrogance and what God is telling him to do when your picking up the tab. :thumbsdow

Kloubek
11-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Well, I emailed him a couple of weeks ago with the cheapest quote I received to fix the damage, and have heard nothing back. Not even a quick 5 second note that it will be dealt with.

I emailed him again today - and will post the results.

It actually took a ton of my own time to find multiple companies willing to come out for such a small job. Some who agreed didn't end up showing up. Others took several calls back and forth to arrange things. I probably placed or received almost two dozen calls trying to get the quotes ready. I told Craig I was willing to do the legwork on this - but now that I have, it would only add salt to the wound if he lied about fixing the damage and we had to go to court.

And, for the record, the company I'm going with even told me, without any information from my end, that this was the result of a cat hitting it. He owner says he's seen damage like this before and that I was lucky the whole corner of the garage was not ripped apart.

speedog
11-07-2011, 12:18 PM
So the OP's into this mess (not of his own making) now for probably at least 4 months now and still not getting what I would consider adequate responses/resolution to this situation from Guys Hill Landscaping.

Time to start some very vocal visits to their office I'd say, even if that office is at his residence. It's complete utter BS that this has gone on for four months without resolution - I certainly wouldn't have let it slide this long.

Calgary BBB shows Guys Hill Landscaping as having a private address, but our reverse number look-up friend at TELUS.com shows that 403-217-9112 (as listed on Guys Hill Landscaping's web site) belongs to the following...

K Clark
(403) 217-9112
130 Kincora Pt NW
Calgary, AB T3R0A5

The BBB's listed postal code matches up to the postal code that TELUS lists so I would say that it is time for the OP to go for a drive.

speedog
11-07-2011, 12:29 PM
For the OP, Google maps link (http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=130+Kincora+Pt+NW+Calgary&ll=51.159827,-114.136032&spn=0.001164,0.00327&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Kincora+Point+NW,+Symons+Valley,+Division+No.+6,+Alberta+T3R+0A6&t=h&z=19&vpsrc=0&layer=c&cbll=51.159807,-114.135897&panoid=tGIW80FDz-i8qxfW4Wdmww&cbp=12,25.52,,0,5.38) - see house with GMC truck and trailer in driveway.

heavyfuel
11-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Speedog should be lead Beyond CSI from now on.... Not cool what these landscapers did/are doing... But I don't think showing up at a business owners' door/posting addresses with a vendetta, very valid in this case, is the proper course of action either. One day somebody's gonna post the wrong address on a public forum, not necessarily here, shit might go sideways in a bad way, and someone's gonna end up hurt or worse. Proper legal avenues take years and years sometimes, but personally I'd rather that than knocking on someone's door and end up with a potential fight on my hands, nothing of this nature is worth a criminal record. My 2 cents.

Kloubek
11-07-2011, 10:46 PM
ok... I was not going to post until I heard back (or possible *didn't* hear back) regarding my latest email.

But I do think I should say a few things.

First, while it is his fault this has dragged on for a long, long time, it is not his fault that the last month and a half/two months have passed. That was my inability to get action from companies that could fix the damage. Many claimed they could come for a quote, but didn't. The three quotes I did get took a fair amount of back and forth on the phone. So anyway, there isn't much he could do until I found him a quote - and I didn't feel right about sticking him with the first one I got. (Which also ended up being the most expensive) Most would say who gives a fuck, but I like to know I was as reasonable as possible on my end.

Second, the only way I am going to show up at his door is to serve him court papers - if it comes to that. (Though I appreciate your efforts Speedog.) I have many means at my disposal to gain retribution if that is what I so choose. I am in internet content and marketing by trade. (Not that 3rd ranking on Google without any effort whatsoever is anything to scoff at) I know three reporters... two written, one radio. Youtube. BBB. And that's just the tip of it. Rest assured - if I decide to embark on a true campaign, I could gain much more satisfaction than I ever could getting in his face. The problem with these actions is that it seems overkill for $700 worth of damage and my inconvenience. Possible more importantly, actions via media/internet are not particularily retractable, and once the ball gets rolling it is hard to stop. Despite the fact that the public should know who they are dealing with, it is still an avenue I'm only going to use as a last resort.

I just want my freakin house fixed. It should never be this difficult.

/////AMG
11-08-2011, 09:23 AM
I'm with speedog on this one.
It's been FAR too long, for a reputable company (I say that with a pinch of salt) you would have thought they would have sorted this out for you ASAP.

And with winter coming and exposed timbers I would want this sorted yesterday. A bit of a joke considering they do over priced work but can't cough up about a grand for the mistake they made.

The owner very well knows nothing would do that kind of damage except his equipment and as you've mentioned it's on the same side of the work.

If anything I'm shocked he hasn't tried to sort it out and find out which employee did NOT report it to him. Thats the last things you would need if you had you're won company.

Guys Hill Landscaping... looking shady right now, actually they are well past that stage IMO.

Kloubek
11-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Well, that's 2 - possibly 3 emails to them and two phone voicemails to his cell phone. I told him in this past voicemail that the next one won't be as civil. (As it will be to notify him I an persuing legal action.)

I still have yet to decide if I will persue an online campaign to notify everyone in Calgary about the unprofessionalism of this company. I guess that all depends if I need to take him to court - which it looks like I will end up having to do.

Kloubek
11-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Ok - after now 3 or 4 emails and 2 voicemails, I told Craig that if I do not hear back from him we would be going to court to settle the issue. He has continued to ignore my attempts at contacting him, so it certainly looks like it will come to that. So frustrating.

Had he just kept his word, I would have dropped everything. But now I'm pretty pissed.... so in addition to getting compensated via the court, I'm also going to embark on a public education campaign about Guys Hill Landscaping, and would like your guys' input as to how I can get the word of my experience out there.

Youtube
Twitter
Facebook
BBB
Review sites (I have a list of about 15 sites where I can leave reviews. Homestars, Yellow Pages, Reviewblue, etc)
Beyond
Kijiji

Any others you can think of?

I also have a couple of friends in the media who are looking into whether or not they can help out; one in print, one on the radio. The problem with this is liability (they have to be careful about what they say), as well as whether or not it is even low-level newsworthy. Let's face it... $700 is not a lot of damage.

G-ZUS
11-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Tony Tighe?

Reznor
11-22-2011, 06:54 PM
I just read through this whole thread. That is absolutely disgusting - you helped them make their tens of thousands, and they inconvenience you for months, then damage your house (Id say there is plenty of evidence to prove that), lie to you about paying for the fix, and then dont contact you back after you did the work to find a quote and tried to get in touch with him so many times? Revolting. What kind of guy is this anyway? How does Guys Hill Landscaping even manage to remain open for business? He says he is religious, but this doesnt sound like the actions of a devout christian to me. It sounds more like a guy that uses religion as a way to get people to think hes a good guy, when he really doesnt care at all.

Email me if you like - I have a couple people I know to help you spread the word in Calgary, and those two people know a ton of others who have access to media you'd be very interested to know about.

Good luck.

Kloubek
11-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Complaint lodged through BBB today. Willing to wait a bit longer to see if they can get me resolution rather than going to court. Just something about taking it to the level of suing that makes me feel uncomfortable.

revelations
11-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Complaint lodged through BBB today. Willing to wait a bit longer to see if they can get me resolution rather than going to court. Just something about taking it to the level of suing that makes me feel uncomfortable.

OP, IMO youre being too nice and patient.

These individuals (companies) feed off the good people in society and will just drag it on as long as possible in the hopes that you will give up.

Once you sue, it'll take a few years to go to court, so dont worry about that for a while.

But, imagine you served him with lawyers papers a while ago - it might have been resolved already without the need for court time.

Kloubek
11-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Well I'm certainly not giving up. At this point, I'm right pissed.

BBB will not allow you to lodge a complaint if it is under litigation. So in order for it to show as a black mark and change their A+ rating, this had to be done first. Yes, I should have done this a long time ago.

They give the owner 2 weeks or something like that to respond so it certainly will delay my ability to file in court. But my intention is to get the word out, and BBB is one of the best ways of doing that so I wanted to make sure I didn't skip it. All the other methods of "advertising" will come shortly... I'm just trying to find the time.

tnuc
11-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Hey Jeff ,

Guys hill just did a qoute for one of our builders building condo buildings in Chestemere. Needless to say I told my buddy what he did to you and they arent gonna be doing that project!! To think that a $1000 that they are responsible for cost them alot more!
Also ill be texting you this week to pick up that disc and drop you your money. This wind storm has made me ridiculously busy

chkolny541
11-28-2011, 02:07 PM
3rd hit on google, nice!

JustinMCS
11-28-2011, 02:41 PM
TBH, BBB doesn't do anything. IMO it's a waste of time and basically they work hand in hand with businesses. I had an issue with Hallmark Autobody and they favoured on the business side, even when they wrote "we will not talk to this individual." They thought that was a fair response. Fast track a few months and ING paid me out to get it fixed elsewhere because it was shoddy work, but BBB did nothing.

revelations
11-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by JustinMCS
TBH, BBB doesn't do anything. IMO it's a waste of time and basically they work hand in hand with businesses. I had an issue with Hallmark Autobody and they favoured on the business side, even when they wrote "we will not talk to this individual." They thought that was a fair response. Fast track a few months and ING paid me out to get it fixed elsewhere because it was shoddy work, but BBB did nothing.

:werd:

Kloubek
11-28-2011, 03:46 PM
I know the BBB is hit and miss. But they hold the 2nd spot on Google for this company, and is certainly one of the first places I wanted to hit in my campaign. It might be all for not... I realize that. But then, I'm anticipating a few long nights of work to get the word out anyway, so its worth 5 minutes of my time to lodge a complaint. And yeah, 3rd ranking isn't too shabby... especially since I haven't even tried yet.

Tnuc: It's not even a grand. I really think he doesn't give a crap because they are so busy anyway, they aren't going to feel the hit. I beg to differ. Anyway, you have my #.

I'm honestly dumbfounded as to why he hasn't just rectified the situation. For a company that overcharges for their work, you'd think there would be wiggle room to rectify the mistakes they make.

JudasJimmy
11-28-2011, 04:22 PM
I'm going to need a bunch of stuff done for my new house in the spring. I'll call them for a quote, then after they do up a nice quote for me, I'll mention I did some research and found this thread. Then I'll kindly decline to do any business with them.
Thank god for this thread, I might have actually contracted them.

I can't stand losers like Guy Hills landscaping.

Kloubek
01-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Well guys, I've nearing the end of the BBB process. It has taken quite a while! Craig decided to wait until the final notice before he sent his response. And man, what a response it is. And, as expected, he has decided to retract his offer to fix the damage. What a piece of work.:

On January 13, 2012, the business provided the following information:
Further to our two conversation, i hope this letter gives you a clearer picture of what have conspired with Guyshill landscaping and Mr Kloubek. Earlier last spring (2011), GHL sign a contract with a client that lives at 325 Kincora glen rise. In assessing the property i realise that the only access we had for our bobcat was in between the unfinished landscape side of 329 and 333 kincora glen rise. I personally approach both homeowner (one of which was Mr Kloubek of 333 kincora glen rise) and explain what our company plans were and ask for permission to use their properties. After receiving the go ahead from both homeowners we started the project on may 2, 2011. In the process of doing the project we had many unforeseen changes and obstacles. We constantly had people inquiring about their potential landscaping which took more time away from our contract. So our foreman and crew spend a lot of time with other neighbours trying to be of service to them. Notwithstanding the weather which was and always will be our biggest obstacle. No business owner or contractor want to ever be in any project longer than they need to, there are things that is within our control but unfortunately the weather is not one of them. Needless to say a project that in normal cases that would have took two weeks to complete took five weeks and many of those days our crews worked in the rain.

It as always been our practice at GHL that every project we do we try and make sure that all of our clients and neighbours are satisfied, so we go above and beyond to make that a reality. This case was no exception. We did the front yard and side yard of 329 kincora glen rise for free, which cost us almost almost $3000 in labour an materials. this was done because of our gratitude to the homeowner for predominantly using their property for many things including tools etc.

The last day when the contract was completed, our intension was to remove all equipment, tools, extra materials and repair any damages.(as stated in all of our contract).......unfortunately the weather didn't allow us to do that. We move to a different site and even left our bobcat because it was stuck in the back of 329 kincora. In the next few day i went back personally to check if it was possible to remove our equipment and to repair any ruts the bobcat had caused. We finally remove our machine by getting a track loader to pull our bobcat out, but the ground was in no shape to be repair because of all the moisture.

Our office started receiving emails from Mr kloubek sometime in late june early july a week or so after the contract was completed. The nature of the emails seems to be about the ruts and i dont recall about anything else. There was not an immediate response to Mr kloubek emails because he seems very threating and i didn't want to confront him, rather fix the ruts we created. He got really more threating in his emails after i was on that site assessing the damage when his wife try to approach me while i was talking to two people and a person on my phone. He sent me another email about how he was upset that i did not give his wife my undivided attention. In this email was the first time he started making claims about his downspout been damage. He also mention that because of the noise our bobcat was making, a VERY expensive painting had fall off his wall and broke and we were also responsible for that. This is when i realize that he had some agenda(i had heard from my client that he had told him of our generosity to 3 of his neighbour and he wanted to cash in)

In the next few days we had a window of opportunity to repair the ruts. We not not only repair it, we also put one load of screaned loam and sod both side yard. This was far from what was originally there(three foot weeds). I felt we did more than what was expected by power washing his driveway and watering his lawn for about 30mins before i rang the doorbell to talk to his wife. I wanted to give them some instructions on watering and to apologise for any inconvenience our company might have caused. She seems to be as displease as he was in his emails and wanted to be upset about me not giving her my undivided attention days prior. Mr kloubek showed up mins later and was more understanding.......he explained he only wanted a response from me. I told him because of the threating nature of his emails i didn't feel it was a good idea.(but i still apologise for our tardiness). We spoke for about 45mins, which the issue of his downspout came up. I explain to him that i didn't think we had anything to do with it because where the damage was at least two feet above our bobcat, which he was claiming cause the damage. I also said our company was fully insured and there would be no reason why our employees would not report it cause we have had accidents before. I left the conversation feeling that we had an understanding of where we stood, and that was we would take no responsibility for anything to do with his property.

Three months later i receive another email that he had gotten quotes and we owe him $700..........and this is where we are.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

My response to BBB:

While very well written, there are so many embellishments and outright lies in this "response" that I am beyond upset; I'm absolutely disgusted that this business owner would actually stoop to this level.

I'll retort in point form as to not waste any more of the person's time working on this. I'll only speak to the incorrect statements as opposed to those which were clearly designed to paint a positive picture of his company:

1) There were *many* perfectly workable days where his crew did not work on this project.
2) My original emails were not "threatening" whatsoever. They only got angry when my emails AND voicemails were not responded to
3) When my wife approached him, he was not on the phone. He then decided to ignore my wife when he received as phone call, as well as speak to a courier who had arrived. She was left there looking like an idiot while she waited.
4) "VERY expensive"?!?!?! I never said it was expensive, and it wasn't even a painting. Every painting in my home I painted myself... they have no value. It was a photo, and I replaced the frame at my own cost without even attempting to ask for compensation. I also fixed my solar lights in the back, and garbage can wheel myself - also without seeking compensation. I have witnesses to all three things. How could this be an "agenda" if I asked for nothing?
5) I'd *LOVE* to get his client to put it in writing that I heard about the generosity and wanted to "cash in". If he can get this, I will drop this case entirely. I never said this whatsoever. I just want repaired what was damaged!
6) Yes, they did repair the damage to the yard eventually. But there were *no* weeds whatsoever. There was a lawn. Not a thick, award-winning lawn since I started it with seed, but a lawn. And my neighbor will gladly testify to this.
7) Just to clarify - they only put sod where they ruined my yard.... nowhere extra.
8) The bobcat *can* reach this distance with the shovel up, or with something *in* the shovel, which I saw many times.
9)He did not say it was because my emails were threatening that he did not contact me back. He said he was so busy, or claimed he had not received my original emails or voicemails. (Both of which were sent to the same locations where later attempts were received)
10)This was not the first time I mentioned the downspout whatsoever; in fact, when I arrived he had attempted to fix it already... which would seem an odd thing to do if he had not been aware I felt he was responsible for the damage. He is correct, however, in saying I did not notice the damage to the eves when I first emailed him my complaint. I am not sure exactly when it occured - but it was certainly in the timeframe they were working directly below it.
11) This one is the kicker. He stated that although he disagreed he was responsible for the damage, he DID agree to pay for the damages and asked me to find him a quote since they could not fix the damage themselves. While I am not surprised he is now claiming he did not say this, I promise on everything I am and every fibre of my being that he *did* agree to pay for the damages.
12) It did not take me 3 months to get back to him. Although it *did* take longer than expected, since roofing companies are hesitant to deal with such small jobs.

speedog
01-16-2012, 11:19 AM
So where are things at now - still awaiting a BBB response?

JustinMCS
01-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Maybe you shouldn't be so threating.

:burnout:

revelations
01-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by revelations

OP, IMO youre being too nice and patient.

These individuals (companies) feed off the good people in society and will just drag it on as long as possible in the hopes that you will give up.

Once you sue, it'll take a few years to go to court, so dont worry about that for a while.

But, imagine you served him with lawyers papers a while ago - it might have been resolved already without the need for court time.

Kloubek
01-16-2012, 11:31 AM
I just sent my response you read above to them this morning. I imagine he will continue to draw this out as long as he can.

And yes, revelations, I should have just taken him to court right away. I was trying to give him the opportunity to redeem himself and his company first, and was attempting to not have to take this to the next level.

nickyh
01-16-2012, 11:54 AM
I will be doing some landscaping in the spring and will be sure not to call these jokers unless I feel like wasting their time.

Thanks for the heads up!
If only these idiots could realize how much lost potential revenue this thread had generated and all they need to do is make it right. :facepalm:

revelations
01-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Yea, I didnt mean to sound condescending but its going to be a year soon since the events took place.

In some instances (I dont think this applies here) there are statues of limitations regarding civil cases like this, so prudence is key. You could have served them with simple lawyers papers just to get the ball rolling, and then backed off once things were moving.

Kloubek
02-19-2012, 01:17 PM
OK.... so latest update.

I was overseas for my honeymoon for a month, and got an email from Craig saying that he would have a company come and fix it. When I got back home, it was indeed fixed.

At least, the main visible damage has been fixed. There is still bent metal in behind, but it is really hard to see and would be missed if it wasn't pointed out. As such, I think I will just count my losses and put this one to bed; I don't want to deal with it anymore.

So, in closing... if a company asks to use the front/side of your house to do work elsewhere, I would suggest:
1) Taking before pictures so they can't claim your lawn was weeds, and so it shows no existing damage to your house
2) Get in writing before they start work how they intend to leave your yard, and when they will be completed by

Alternatively, you could just not be helpful and say no. Seems some companies/people are just out to take advantage of friendly homeowners.

CanmoreOrLess
02-19-2012, 03:09 PM
What a saga, you try and cut the guy a break and be a helpful neighbour and all you get is grief. They certainly have lost thousands in future business, I'd ask for a bond from them before any permission to pass on my land. They can heli it all in if they don't like it.

I think the invisible man was more afraid of your wife than you, you appear to have the bark, she the bite.

Kloubek
02-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Not sure what that means...

I already picked up the papers to file to take this guy to court if the damage was not repaired. Yes I tried to find alternatives... but that was in an attempt to:
a) Avoid the hassle and to give him a chance to make ammends and
b) To follow other means to ensure the issue would be logged on the internet for future potential customers to see.

I could (and in retrospect probably should) have gone right for the throat and sued him right away... but I honestly hoped his business sense and/or morals would prevail. At the end of the day, the issue was at least partially rectified without court action.

My wife had virtually no involvement in the issue... so again, not sure what you mean. But it doesn't matter. It's done.

CanmoreOrLess
02-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Not sure what that means...

I already picked up the papers to file to take this guy to court if the damage was not repaired. Yes I tried to find alternatives... but that was in an attempt to:
a) Avoid the hassle and to give him a chance to make ammends and
b) To follow other means to ensure the issue would be logged on the internet for future potential customers to see.

I could (and in retrospect probably should) have gone right for the throat and sued him right away... but I honestly hoped his business sense and/or morals would prevail. At the end of the day, the issue was at least partially rectified without court action.

My wife had virtually no involvement in the issue... so again, not sure what you mean. But it doesn't matter. It's done.

I read some tone coming off his (landscaper) letter to the BBB, he seemed afraid of the both of you. Nothing meant by me indirectly, nice that it kind of worked out for you.