PDA

View Full Version : Neighbour's Tree Branches

woovic
07-30-2011, 06:19 PM
My neighbour's tree branches are hang over my yard, do I have the right to trim them?

.norco.
07-30-2011, 06:21 PM
our neighbors did :dunno:

now my tree looks like shit :rofl:

revelations
07-30-2011, 06:29 PM
aerial encroachment, yes

I'd ask kindly first, if they are dbags, then send a crew (or do it yourself).

Crew bill to them.

Kloubek
07-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Not sure if they would be obligated to pay that bill. I think that would just come across as being a dick.

I'd say talk to your neighbors and ask them if they would like to trim your side as it is overhanging.

If they say no, then do it yourself. Simple at that.

eblend
07-31-2011, 03:41 PM
if they don't bother you and just give you extra shade, then who cares, if they are hanging low and in the way, yah trim them

Z_Fan
07-31-2011, 09:30 PM
Cut 'em. I used to have that problem at my old house. I'd just cut them whenever I felt like they were starting to get annoying.

Same thing goes for anything that might be growing through your fence. Pull it as far through the fence as you can, snip it, and let it recoil and hope it dies.

:poosie:

Mar
07-31-2011, 09:36 PM
Does nobody here talk to their neighbours?

88CRX
07-31-2011, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Mar

No kidding.

:facepalm:

CompletelyNumb
07-31-2011, 10:09 PM
Based on the volume of 311 calls I'd say that nobody in Calgary actually speaks to each other. Everyone's either afraid of each other or just plain rude.

kevie88
07-31-2011, 10:11 PM
My trees overhung my neighbors yard earlier this year.. He came over one day and told me he wanted to trim them. I got my ladder out, brought it over to his yard and cut them way back myself.

Job done.

kvg
07-31-2011, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Originally posted by 88CRX

No kidding.

:facepalm:

People seem to be lacking interpersonal skills here
:dunno:

BokCh0y
08-01-2011, 11:11 AM
I personally asked my neighbors as a courtesy and offered to trim them. All but 1 guy had noprobs whatsoever, they all liked the additional privacy and didn't mind the leaves in the fall. I have however on a regualr basis trimmed them when it was leaning on the fence too much or getting to close the lady's house beside me kinda deal. One of my neighbors hung a bird feeder on the branches.

The guy that had a prob, he moved. Fuck yeah.

Kona9
08-01-2011, 12:01 PM
I think it is important to know your neighbors. Or know of your neighbors. Saying hi now and again is sometimes all it takes.

spikerS
08-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Kona9
I think it is important to know your neighbors. Or know of your neighbors. Saying hi now and again is sometimes all it takes.

exactly. When I moved into my house, I made it a point to get to know my neighbors. I made it a point to introduce myself, and strike up a meaningful conversation, have drinks with them in the yard, invite them over for BBQs, be nice and shovel their front sidewalk in the winter, mow their front grass when I mow my own (small lots out front). being nice has paid off. I get along with all my neighbors, we all joke and talk, and it has worked out great.

When my ex's dog dug under the fence and tore up a portion of the neighbors lawn, he just came over with a couple of beers, mentioned it, and we went back and fixed it. No issues what so ever. We all watch over each other's property when we go away, and I am loving it.

BTW, this is in the NE too. :devil:

sillysod
08-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by spikers

BTW, this is in the NE too. :devil:

http://www.pakimag.com/files/2011/02/Chitral-Snowfall-2011-Removing-snow-with-shovel.jpg

hampstor
08-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by kvg

People seem to be lacking interpersonal skills here
:dunno:

It seems to be part of the keyboard warrior generation. I would not be surprised someday if someone posted their neighbour's name/number/address trying to get their neighbour to do something.

CD007
08-02-2011, 12:24 PM
My neighbor attacked me because my dog barked at him. Needless to say, he went to the hospital in an ambulance. Now its kinda awkward when I see him.

Khyron
08-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Did he spill soup on you in a Red Lobster by chance?

tirebob
08-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Ask your neighbour if he minds that you trim up the branches on your side. I have been on both sides of that fence. Both times were no problem...

masoncgy
08-03-2011, 03:57 PM
All you have to do is speak to your neighbor about it.

I have a huge tree at my rental house in Temple that overhangs the sidewalk and half of the neighbor's yard... but I have always kept it trimmed back so that the portion over the sidewalk is well above anyone's heads and the portion into the neighbor's yard does not obstruct his walkway, touch his house, etc.

Easy enough.

bspot
08-03-2011, 05:07 PM
On a related note, I have a massive tree that is getting up into the power lines in the alley (encroaching on the alley by a lot).

Is it my job to take care of this or the cities? What if the tree causes an outage, am I out a ton of $?

Khyron
08-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by bspot
On a related note, I have a massive tree that is getting up into the power lines in the alley (encroaching on the alley by a lot).

Is it my job to take care of this or the cities? What if the tree causes an outage, am I out a ton of $?

City or Enmax (I forget) should do it for free.

bspot
08-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Wicked, thanks!

blitz
08-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Pfff, talking to neighbours is for losers. Go straight to dousing those branches with gas and setting them on fire.

vincent-h
08-09-2011, 11:25 AM
When this happened at my house, I took out my samurai sword and started to practice my downward stroke on the overhanging branches and was actually quite fun.

Now I never mind when it grows too long as then once again get to practice my sword skills and see how clean of a cut I can get.

part4sale
10-11-2012, 11:08 AM
I have a similar situation too, I just moved in a new house and both of my neighbors have big trees hang over my fence. I don't mind cleaning of the leaves on the ground but it's a big deal to clean them up on the garage roof because the leaves will block the eaves trough if I don't clean them.
By the way, the branches are quite big (so my guess is that the neighbors nor the previous owner have cut them). I need some advice from you guys here.

Thanks,
PS: sorry op for hi-jacking your thread :-)

yellowsnow
10-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by part4sale
I have a similar situation too, I just moved in a new house and both of my neighbors have big trees hang over my fence. I don't mind cleaning of the leaves on the ground but it's a big deal to clean them up on the garage roof because the leaves will block the eaves trough if I don't clean them.
By the way, the branches are quite big (so my guess is that the neighbors nor the previous owner have cut them). I need some advice from you guys here.

Thanks,

what's with all you pussies? just talk to your neighbour. he probably won't bite you! so sad how people don't even know their neighbors anymore, and are actually afraid to knock on their doors. :facepalm:

-relk-
10-11-2012, 12:03 PM

Thanks,

As about 20 posts in this thread have mentioned, go talk to your neighbour. That is all the help we can give you.

part4sale
10-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by yellowsnow

what's with all you pussies? just talk to your neighbour. he probably won't bite you! so sad how people don't even know their neighbors anymore, and are actually afraid to knock on their doors. :facepalm:

As about 20 posts in this thread have mentioned, go talk to your neighbour. That is all the help we can give you.

Yes, talking to the neighbors is a sure thing. What I meant was what reasonable thing to ask from your POV? Ask them to trim? Ask them to clean of the leaves b/c they clog my eaves trough?...

codetrap
10-11-2012, 04:51 PM

Yes, talking to the neighbors is a sure thing. What I meant was what reasonable thing to ask from your POV? Ask them to trim? Ask them to clean of the leaves b/c they clog my eaves trough?...

You could ask them to trim it down a bit, nothing wrong with that. But would you ask a neighbor 5 houses down to clean out your gutters because it's windy one day and their leaves fill your gutter too?

egmilano
10-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by sillysod

http://www.pakimag.com/files/2011/02/Chitral-Snowfall-2011-Removing-snow-with-shovel.jpg

lmao :rofl:

lol my advice would be talk to your neighbors, why are you scared to walk over and ask..
I shovel my neighbors walk way, sometimes they shovel and salt mine. It really pays off, not to mention when they were parking and hit my car on the street they came over and talked to me about it rather than pretend it didnt happen. Its good to have neighbors that look out for you as well...