PDA

View Full Version : LF: MKII Clutch

e.widling
08-01-2011, 12:34 AM
So my clutch is on its way out pretty fast and I need a replacement as soon as possible. I'm wondering if anyone knows where I could get a good new clutch for a decent price. Is there a local shop that you would recommend? Also is the install something that's doable at home or is it best for me to just bring it in and get it done by a shop.

Suggestions/recommendations?

mr2mike
08-02-2011, 01:10 PM
It's not too difficult if you have the right tools.
Right tools would be an engine lifter and something to hold the transmission when you seperate it from the engine. I've used a rope with a buddy holding it while you're seperating it and a standard jack to help lower it down.

Getting it back into place takes some time.

Other advice, mark the holes that all the bolts came out of and mark the bolts. There's many unused holes and also some bolts fit into other holes which can end up holding your flywheel so it won't spin on start up. I heard that happen to a guy and it took forever to diagnose... pulled starter, clutch, etc. Then figured it was the bolt.

Redlyne_mr2
08-02-2011, 03:43 PM
An impact and a 32 deep socket is also important to have. You need a decent set of tools to get the job done and an undertstanding of the underworkings of the system.

Garage Box has done lots of mr2 clutchs. As for a replacement, the toyota clutch isn't bad but it's around $300. For that price you may as well get an act clutch.

here are some steps on the procedure.
http://www.mrtwo.net/mr2modproject/service/clutch/clutch.htm

mr2mike
08-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Oh ya, I forgot about taking off the axle, Ryan. Good call.

I know guys running the ACT clutch, Spec clutch and I run the Clutchmasters clutch.

ACT had a big problem with the inner spline and it rounded off in under 100kms. Had to be the wrong clutch sent to him (IMO).

Spec supposedly had issues around the time I was looking to buy so I went with Clutchmasters and haven't been disappointed yet. This is with a fidanza flywheel. Pedal is just as relaxed as stock but it grabs really hard so daily driving, just wait a few seconds for the car infront to go and you can have the clutch grab like it should.

Spec had a stiff pedal feel which some felt as being more performance. It's up to you.

Also the stock throw out bearing is the only way to go from everyone's experience.

e.widling
08-04-2011, 07:48 AM
hey thanks for the help guys! I ended up going with a stage 1 exedy clutch brand new from a seller in Edmonton for 200. I'm super tight on time so I won't be doing this project myself like I had hoped. I can't afford to mess it up as the car has to go all the way down to Vegas in just over a week. That and my tool selection is super limited right now. I appreciate all the help tho!

Just out of curiosity does the flywheel have to be replaced at the same time, or resurfaced? Will the shop usually resurface it or is that something I specifically have to point out?

Thanks,

Redlyne_mr2
08-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Yah just have it resurfaced, those mr2 flywheels are beefy, should be no reason to replace it.

e.widling
08-06-2011, 10:27 AM
awesome will do!

Redlyne_jr
08-06-2011, 06:00 PM
I have a Fidanza lightened flywheel chilling in my garage if you want? and i also have both a OEM clutch never used and a clutchmasters unit.. :)

let me know

e.widling
08-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Oh the car is already in the shop getting everything swapped over, thanks for the offer tho!

Redlyne_mr2
08-08-2011, 12:18 PM
whos doing the job?

sh0ko
08-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Oh ya, I forgot about taking off the axle, Ryan. Good call.

I know guys running the ACT clutch, Spec clutch and I run the Clutchmasters clutch.

ACT had a big problem with the inner spline and it rounded off in under 100kms. Had to be the wrong clutch sent to him (IMO).

Spec supposedly had issues around the time I was looking to buy so I went with Clutchmasters and haven't been disappointed yet. This is with a fidanza flywheel. Pedal is just as relaxed as stock but it grabs really hard so daily driving, just wait a few seconds for the car infront to go and you can have the clutch grab like it should.

Spec had a stiff pedal feel which some felt as being more performance. It's up to you.

Also the stock throw out bearing is the only way to go from everyone's experience.

had an act clutch.. never had a problem

mr2mike
08-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_jr
I have a Fidanza lightened flywheel chilling in my garage if you want?

Once you go Fidanza, you never go back.

e.widling
08-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
whos doing the job?

Joe at Top Speed Auto in the NE.