PDA

View Full Version : I miss turbo.

5.9 R/T
01-20-2004, 04:29 PM
Looking for info on the celica all trac. Since I can't seem to find any for sale right now how much do they usually go for? modability? Is the AWD system fairly stout? Decent handling? If not the all trac then how does the GTS 2.2 respond to mods/turbo?

T5_X
01-20-2004, 04:38 PM
I think the older body style (<90) ones go for 6-10 grand and the 90+ ones go for 9-13 grand

Only gripe I've heard with them is that they're a bitch to work on.

legendboy
01-20-2004, 04:45 PM
There isn't much aftermarket for the alltrack

EK 2.0
01-20-2004, 05:00 PM
A lot of the parts that do fit onto the MR2's do kinda fit with a lil modding onto the All-Tracs, but, a lot of it will be custom...the handle amazing...and the AWD system is fairly strong...

Only downside well there are 2...one because of the rarity of them, they still can command a high price...and 2...working on them is a bitch...very tight engine bay packaging...I mean any transverse AWD drivetrain will be tight under the hood though right??...

But they are a blast to drive man...

Weapon_R
01-20-2004, 05:22 PM
error* had one for really cheap...

hjr
01-20-2004, 05:38 PM
expensive replacement parts and a major whore to work on. major. one of those driveline has to come out to replace the clutch cars.

benyl
01-20-2004, 05:50 PM
I was thinking of one as a project, but after all the research I did on it, I decided against it.

The people who have them, love them, but they all agree that they cost a few bucks to keep running.

I thought I remember hearing that it wasn't the driveline that needed to come out when replacing the clutch, it was the whole engine that you had to hoist out to do it. I could be mistaken though.

EK 2.0
01-20-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by benyl
I was thinking of one as a project, but after all the research I did on it, I decided against it.

The people who have them, love them, but they all agree that they cost a few bucks to keep running.

I thought I remember hearing that it wasn't the driveline that needed to come out when replacing the clutch, it was the whole engine that you had to hoist out to do it. I could be mistaken though.

Yes, the engine had to be pulled in order to swap a clutch...

CelicaST-162
01-20-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
how does the GTS 2.2 respond to mods/turbo? People swap out the 5S-FE (2.2L) for the 3S-GTE (all trac engine), otherwise there isnt much you can do to the 2.2L, the 3sgte bolts right into the car too, so its the wiring thats an issue

ugotahondaeh?
01-20-2004, 07:04 PM
I too once wanted an ALLTRAC turbo celica but I couldn't find one. I remember doin' a comparsion between the alltrac celica and an '92 Eagle Talon Tsi and they're basically identical in every way. Same horsepower, torque, weight and I believe even the 1/4 times were identical. lets see if i can find some stats on the alltrac.

Boostn
01-20-2004, 07:20 PM
All you ever wanted to know about alltracs.

http://www.alltrac.net/

Yes they do require maintenance, but that goes for any FI car. Stick with the 3SGTE if you can, boosting the 5S-FE can be a pain in the a@@ and cost more than it's worth to make it bulletproof. They are rare but some do pop up for sale from time to time. Personally I'd say go for it! The 5th gen alltrac was in production from 90-93 and the 90's seem to be the most common. However the AWD Talon is a good alternative as well. Easier to find, a bit cheaper with a bigger aftermarket typical of DSMs.

5.9 R/T
01-21-2004, 02:55 AM
I've already done a DSM, I'd like to try something different. What sort of JDM motors (if any) will swap if I can find a cheap enough GT model?

three.eighteen.
01-21-2004, 04:30 AM
all the 3sgtes i think, and the gt-s has the 3sge...n/a version of 3sgte

T5_X
01-21-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162
People swap out the 5S-FE (2.2L) for the 3S-GTE (all trac engine), otherwise there isnt much you can do to the 2.2L, the 3sgte bolts right into the car too, so its the wiring thats an issue

It is not a direct bolt-on.
Check out the costs and challenges with the 3sgte swap: http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/celica1/3sgteswap.htm

By the time you do the swap, you will have spent more total than an ALLTRAC, and it'll only be FWD

5.9 R/T
01-21-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by T5_X

Check out the costs and challenges with the 3sgte swap: http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/celica1/3sgteswap.htm

By the time you do the swap, you will have spent more total than an ALLTRAC, and it'll only be FWD

Maybe, but if I find a cheap beaten up celica I can probably do the swap for the same amount of money as an all trac would cost me and I'd have more power. My only concern would be how much of a pain in the ass would using the mr2 tranny cause?

"Hoses don't line up of course, they use diffrent spigots on the MR-2 motor to line up with those hoses. The I/C is useless, and a couple of systems (like the intake) are in slightly different locations. It makes for more headache."

It doesn't say anything about using the same engine/tranny combo from an mr2 which would solve a lot of those hose problems. I'm not to sure if that would work though, as the mr2 is MR and the celica is FF, but if the tranny is transverse mounted I don't see why it couldn't.

Toms-Celica
01-21-2004, 12:42 PM
There is plenty of aftermarket if you look at the right sources. 5.9R/T I would highly suggest doing a 3S-GTE swap. We have two of them that we know of right now in Calgary. One in a 1988 Celica GT-FOUR and another going into a 94 Celica GT-S.

5.9 R/T
01-21-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Toms-Celica
There is plenty of aftermarket if you look at the right sources. 5.9R/T I would highly suggest doing a 3S-GTE swap. We have two of them that we know of right now in Calgary. One in a 1988 Celica GT-FOUR and another going into a 94 Celica GT-S.

Are they on the alberta celica club board?

CelicaST-162
01-21-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by T5_X

What are you talking about?? That it isnt a direct bolt on?? The 5S-FE and 3S-GE (GTE) have identical engine mounts hence the "S" designation. Other then that, I do agree that it is very costly.:thumbsdow

BTW, I know where there is a 1988 Toyota Celica Turbo 4WD for 2000$, but it needs A LOT of work!

GT-FOUR
01-21-2004, 02:22 PM
Hey,

I own an 88 alltrac. I'm the GT-FOUR that Tom mentioned. :)

I also drive a 5.2L dakota, so I can feel your pain for needing boost. ;)

Lets see...yes they can be a pain to work on if you aren't used to the engine. To do the clutch, it is definitely a good plan to pull the engine.

If you wanted to swap into a FWD celica with an mr2 engine and tranny, it takes a bit of work. Can't use the mr2 intercooler, alternator is in the wrong spot, need to create hybrid axles from mr2 and alltrac bits, build a custom wiring harness...theres more. Wiring is an issue but there are enough people that have done it that you can get good help. Your best bet is to use the original tranny with a celica engine. But then, you still only have FWD.

For modding, well, there is a decent amount out there imho. There isn't much for ricer parts, but thats mainly because the majority of the alltrac community isnt into that kind of stuff...you can get whatever you need for engine parts, suspension, etc. Dollar for dollar in mods, however, you will get further with the dime a dozen dsm's. However, dsm's dont have the rally heritage that the celicas have...

With basic mods, you can get an awesome improvement to your power level. The internals are good for a lot of power...more than most people would ever be looking at. Trannies have been known to hold over 500whp (low 10 second 1/4), however at that stage you need to be careful. Stock 1/4 mile is 15.6...you can get into high 13's without doing serious mods if you know what to do and are a decent driver.

For your other questions...

88-89's (ST165 model) go for anywhere from 4-9000, and the 90-93's (ST185 model) go for $10-18000. They are extremely rare and have a relatively high demand, so the price stays high.

4WD system is awesome. 50/50 power split. Full time.

Handle awesome. With aftermarket suspension you would be amazed how hard you can push corners with the 4wd.

The 2.2L engines dont respond very well to boost, best bet is the 3sgte...

If you want more info just give me a shout and I can do my best to help you out. :)

Cheers,

Chris

T5_X
01-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162

What are you talking about?? That it isnt a direct bolt on?? The 5S-FE and 3S-GE (GTE) have identical engine mounts hence the &quot;S&quot; designation. Other then that, I do agree that it is very costly.:thumbsdow

Sorry, what I meant to say is that the swap is not just direct, it requires a lot of little hidden things, but the engine will fit like a golve, you're right.

5.9 R/T
01-22-2004, 01:18 AM
GT- 4: I was curious about those half shafts on an mr2 tranny and how that would work. Anyways thanks for the info, I've got some more ?'s for you but I'll use PM. :thumbsup:

LostValley
04-21-2005, 02:36 PM
I have an 88 all trac with 93k and a blown timing chain. Its a California car and in pretty fair condition. I am open to any offers.
I love the evil little thing but can't deal with anymore 128mph tickets. Nor spins starting at 110mph.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-21-2005, 02:53 PM
You do realize this thread is over a year old, right?

LostValley
05-25-2005, 01:23 AM
Uhhhh, nope. Must be due to blond moment colliding with bullet train in the tunnel. :burnout: Still enjoying the heck outta my evil lil all trac.
http://lostvalley.0catch.com <--ranch website

finboy
05-25-2005, 01:26 AM
wow, where the hell has 5.9 been lately anyways? there was a severe drop in noob bashing when he left, lol.