PDA

View Full Version : Questions about buying watch online

Cos
08-01-2011, 10:57 AM
So im looking at buying my first watch off timezone. Do you have to worry about Reps being passed off as gens or is it pretty good overall?

Any tips about buying from the site (good sellers, ways to ship).

Or is there better places to be buying gen watches online. I want a Blue Chrono Seamaster and with the new Co-Axial movement they are almost 5k now!

BokCh0y
08-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Pacman is a great source for your q's.

I checked out this site:

http://www.watchuseek.com/

These guys have a bunch of dealers and sponsors.

rage2
08-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Buy the seller, not the watch. I've purchased about 6 watches through TZ and haven't had a problem. I did a lot of research before each purchase.

- Ensure the TZ'er has a good history on the forums.
- Ensure the TZ'er has a good reference (buy/sell) history.
- The watch that you want, make sure you get high res high quality pics, from every angle, including serial #'s, case #'s, series #'s, etc.
- Learn the reps of that watch, what the tells are, etc. Learn from the top reps, there's no point in finding out the tells of a cheap rep against the genuine piece. They'll just look different in pics.

Remember, the seller will check on you too, so if you have no TZ history, there are chances where they won't even want to risk selling to you due to paypal, western union and other scams.

statick
08-01-2011, 02:53 PM
I've purchased a few watches from Timezone and have had no troubles. The seller's references and trade history should give you some peace of mind.

Does the specific watch you're considering come with the COSC card, certificate of authenticity and a warranty card stamped by an Omega authorized dealer?

Pacman
08-01-2011, 04:43 PM
As Rage said, just make sure the seller is legit.

I've bought/sold at least 200 watches via Timezone over the past 15 years and never had a problem.

Having said that, there seem to be more and more fraudulent deals happening.

My new policy is, if the buyer/seller has a new account, no solid references from people that I personally know or have dealt with in the past, then I don't do the deal. I've missed out on some great opportunities, but I've never been scammed either.

Who is the seller? Chances are, if you are brand new to TZ, most people won't want to deal with you for fear of being scammed and your lack of references.........

Cos
08-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by rage2

- Learn the reps of that watch, what the tells are, etc. Learn from the top reps, there's no point in finding out the tells of a cheap rep against the genuine piece. They'll just look different in pics.

Remember, the seller will check on you too, so if you have no TZ history, there are chances where they won't even want to risk selling to you due to paypal, western union and other scams.

Thanks, it may be hard for me to make a deal on Tz. I will have to take a look around. I'll keep all of that in mind.

Originally posted by statick
I've purchased a few watches from Timezone and have had no troubles. The seller's references and trade history should give you some peace of mind.

Does the specific watch you're considering come with the COSC card, certificate of authenticity and a warranty card stamped by an Omega authorized dealer?

Originally posted by Pacman
As Rage said, just make sure the seller is legit.

I've bought/sold at least 200 watches via Timezone over the past 15 years and never had a problem.

Having said that, there seem to be more and more fraudulent deals happening.

My new policy is, if the buyer/seller has a new account, no solid references from people that I personally know or have dealt with in the past, then I don't do the deal. I've missed out on some great opportunities, but I've never been scammed either.

Who is the seller? Chances are, if you are brand new to TZ, most people won't want to deal with you for fear of being scammed and your lack of references.........

I dont have a specific watch yet. I just know I want this:

http://www.france-watches.com/images/Omega/Omega_OMG014_OMEGA_032_BLUE_OMEGA_SEAMASTER_CHRONO1716_2.jpg

I was looking at a place in Edmonton that had one in the store. I love it but they run about $4800.00 now. I should have bout it from J.Vair when they had them around the 3k mark. I know the new Co-Axial movement has driven up the price but I dont really care about it that much. I am hoping to get a gently used pre-coaxial somewhere.

Pacman
08-04-2011, 06:20 PM
the non-coaxial models trade for around $1,500 on the used market. Only problem is, they are getting quite old now, so most of them have faded hands (they go from red to orange) and the movement probably needs a service.

Cos
08-04-2011, 07:55 PM
the non-coaxial models trade for around $1,500 on the used market. Only problem is, they are getting quite old now, so most of them have faded hands (they go from red to orange) and the movement probably needs a service.

hmm Ill take a look. $1500 + Service is still a fair chunk cheaper than the $4800 list. I was hoping to be in the mid 3g range but I think that is a stretch to get the new co-ax ones down to it.

Cos
08-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Double post....

statick
08-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Cos, you have PM. Best of luck with the watch hunt...

rage2
08-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Thanks, it may be hard for me to make a deal on Tz. I will have to take a look around. I'll keep all of that in mind.
If you want, I'm sure I can help you make the deal for you. I've got a few references.

Cos
08-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Okay so this probably could use it's own thread but Ill just throw it in here as it is the same watch.

I am going to be in San Fran pretty quick here for my honeymoon. They have a Tourneau in San Fran. Calgary Jewelry has one of the watches in stock at $4100.00. Tourneau has the same watch for $3750USD.

Now of the two which one is going to negotiate more? How much is fair to both CJ and Tourneau? What exactly is the process to bring a watch across the border when we come back? I dont really plan on cheating the system so I assume I have to pay 16% more (11% duty and 5% GTS?)

thanks for all the help guys. Kind of a newb on a nice new watch.

rage2
08-15-2011, 07:07 PM
It's like a non NAFTA car. 6.1% duty and 5% GST, on top of all the crazy Cali taxes.

Swiss watches are duty free ONLY if it's coming from Switzerland (EUFTA).

Cos
08-15-2011, 08:14 PM
Right on. So just buy it claim it when I come across the border.

You ever bought from tourneau? I kind of want to give calgary jewelers my business if it is close in price.

statick
08-16-2011, 10:45 AM
The Tourneau in Las Vegas showed a 10% discount on an Omega Seamaster Professional (2220.80) fairly easily, I wouldn't be too surprised if you negotiated a further discount.

Cos
08-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by statick
The Tourneau in Las Vegas showed a 10% discount on an Omega Seamaster Professional (2220.80) fairly easily, I wouldn't be too surprised if you negotiated a further discount.

Thanks, I am thinking that with the 11% tacked on when I come back I am going to have to get a decent deal.

However being in Tourneau I am not sure WHAT watch I may end up buying. I have always wanted the Blue Chrono but never had the chance.

Strider
08-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Thanks, I am thinking that with the 11% tacked on when I come back I am going to have to get a decent deal.

However being in Tourneau I am not sure WHAT watch I may end up buying. I have always wanted the Blue Chrono but never had the chance.

You'll be paying 5% GST if you bought it here too, so it's really only the 6.1% duty (and Cali taxes... unless they have exemption for out of state residents).

Tourneau offers a $500 discount on watches over $2000 (excluding a few select brands) for HSBC Premier Mastercard holders. I'd imagine you could maybe do better on a $3750 watch, but it's a starting point.
http://www.privileges.hsbcpremier.com/1/2/premier-privileges-landing?cmd_viewOfferDetails=ev_viewOfferDetails&merchantID=30446&pageid=offerDetails&merchantName=Tourneau&cat=Shopping&subcat=Jewellery+%26%2338%3B+Accessories&

Pacman
08-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Which watch are you buying?

I was at the Vegas tourneu yesterday and they don't seem to be very motivated to discount any omega watches.

Cos
08-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Which watch are you buying?

I was at the Vegas tourneu yesterday and they don't seem to be very motivated to discount any omega watches.

I was looking at the 300 series Omega. Calgary Jewelers has it as well. Will see how much they want to move. Figure $3400.00 is a good place to try and settle at.

Cos
08-29-2011, 08:41 PM
Well just came back from San Fran. Went to Tourneau. Nice place and great staff. Prices.... not so much. We were looking at the same price compared to here and there is no way to wave the 8% California State Tax. There is also no way to get it refunded (according to them). I had to get 20% off the watch to get a 5% discount:

6.1% NAFTA
8% State Tax in USA
Flex room for what your CC charges. Not so bad if you have a US account.

I am just going to get it from Calgary Jewelers. Too bad I was looking forward to saying I had a watch from Tournea.