PDA

View Full Version : how do digital copies of DVDs work?

spikerS
08-02-2011, 10:02 PM
I understand the premise of them, but I am looking for some more information.

I have purchased a decent library of DVDs and Blu-rays that all include digital copies, and each have a unique key to unlock them. I have not used any of them so far, but that is more because I don't understand them.

If i download a digital copy, or install one from a disk, at a later date can i transfer the copy? or is it a license for a 1 time install and after that it is lost for example? Can I have it installed on more than 1 computer? ect ect...

anyone care to shed some light on this?

rage2
08-02-2011, 11:03 PM
The digital copies is available for either iTunes or Windows Media. I know the iTunes version.

When you activate it in iTunes, it links the copy to your iTunes account. It then starts copying it off the special digital copy DVD, and it then in your iTunes library. Within iTunes, you can activate up to 5 computers to view the digital copy, and an unlimited # of iPod, iPad, and iPhones that are sync'd to that iTunes. Basically, the # of computers that can manage to view that copy is done with iTunes.

You can copy the file (ie iTunes home sharing) to any other computer, it won't be able to watch it until that computer is activated for that account. Then you can watch it.

If you don't want to use it, I'd be happy to take some digital copies off your hands. ;) I have tons of digital copies of my movies, and they're perfect for flights, just sync up the ones I wanna watch on a trip, and away I go.