PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a mid range cozy restaurant tonight

Mar
08-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Was thinking about supper at that River-something restaurant in Prince's Island Park and then a walk in the park, how is that place? What's the atmosphere like? The food? Prices?

Is there something else with a park nearby?

illtim3d
08-03-2011, 09:57 AM
angels in bowness, the park is right there too :dunno:

Mar
08-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Looks like River Cafe is just seafood and pieces of meat, I'm looking for something lighter. I just called NOtaBLE in Bowness and it looks like they are full for reservations from 5-8 tonight. Wow.

supe
08-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Try the open table app, its pretty good.

MintRacer
08-03-2011, 02:54 PM
http://www.boxwoodcafe.ca/

been there a few times, it's right in a park. Food was good prices decent.

Mar
08-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Any comments on The Living Room?

whiskas
08-03-2011, 04:05 PM
The River Cafe on Prince's Island is $$$$

Expect to pay $100 a head for a decent dinner.

If you want a cozy atmosphere and funny colored poop next day, check out The Coup.

Mar
08-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
The River Cafe on Prince's Island is $$$$

Expect to pay $100 a head for a decent dinner.

That's fine, I just didn't like the menu. It was either seafood or a piece of animal. I just want a sandwich or something.

know1edge
08-03-2011, 05:12 PM
I'll mention taste
Mid range price, light food, good atmosphere, though because the portions are not gigantic, if you're looking to fill your stomach, it can get quite expensive.

Been to the living room, nice atmosphere, great food though I've only ever had meat and seafood when I've been there, so I can't say much more.

Also look up Rush

Mar
08-03-2011, 09:54 PM
The Living Room worked out great, there was hardly anyone else there, the waiter came by multiple times to keep filling water, he was funny and the food was great. Came out to $72 + $2 for water (??) and tax. I don't go out to eat at nice places very often but it was night and day compared to the regular restaurants. I'd completely switch over just for the service if my friends were up for it too.

you&me
08-04-2011, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Mar
The Living Room worked out great, there was hardly anyone else there, the waiter came by multiple times to keep filling water, he was funny and the food was great. Came out to $72 + $2 for water (??) and tax. I don't go out to eat at nice places very often but it was night and day compared to the regular restaurants. I'd completely switch over just for the service if my friends were up for it too.

I've always enjoyed The Living Room also...

You make a great point about the "regular" restaurants. Entres at your typical Earls/Joeys/Moxies, etc (or hell, even your average pub) can quickly approach the price of "nice places", as long as you're comparing apples to apples (ie. not sandwich vs. rack of lamb). Basically anywhere you go will have mains in the $15-22 range, so don't be afraid of "nice places" due to price...

Masked Bandit
08-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Mar
Looks like River Cafe is just seafood and pieces of meat, I'm looking for something lighter. I just called NOtaBLE in Bowness and it looks like they are full for reservations from 5-8 tonight. Wow.

NOtaBLE should really be renamed No Table. Tough to get in. We were there about a month ago and it was decent but nothing amazing. I don't see what all the fuss was about.

max_boost
08-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Did you leave a tip?

Mar
08-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Did you leave a tip?
:rofl:
Wow, look at you and your memory! Bill came to $77, left $90. Don't get too used to that, I rarely make exceptions like this.

The way I see it, I can go to The Keg and get the same food for $15 less. So if I choose to go to The Living Room, I'm already paying $15 more for the elevated level of service (which was amazing). So since I'm being charged a mandatory gratuity already, why would I tip again? Mathematically it doesn't make sense. If I leave a tip, what did I pay the extra $15 for in the first place? The food isn't any better. :dunno:

know1edge
08-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Mar
The food isn't any better. :dunno:

:dunno:

Affinityion
08-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Shhh, bout to let you in on a little secret. La Viena on Kensington (across from the Gelato place). Absolutely best italian food I've ever had even though it looks like one of those tiny little, family run(?), seemingly hole-in-the-wall joints from outside.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/190904/restaurant/Northwest/La-Viena-Calgary

you&me
08-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Affinityion
Shhh, bout to let you in on a little secret. La Viena on Kensington (across from the Gelato place). Absolutely best italian food I've ever had even though it looks like one of those tiny little, family run(?), seemingly hole-in-the-wall joints from outside.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/190904/restaurant/Northwest/La-Viena-Calgary

Really?

I used to think the same way - cool little hole in the wall type place, but it's gone waaaay downhill in the last couple years. I have some friends that live just around the corner, so I'm forced to go there every few months or so, but I'd rank it no better than Chiantis... And it's more expensive.