PDA

View Full Version : Weed control

jasonv93
08-03-2011, 08:45 PM
I just got new sod installed a couple months ago

I now have a lot of quack grass and some thistles growing in. Looks crappy.

Anyone have thoughts about Green Drop coming in?

Heard they were good and guarantee their work.

Any ideas on price for them?? In Calgary

yourmom
08-03-2011, 11:42 PM
I use these guys, and have been pretty impressed with the results.

Check them out http://www.doctorgreen.com/index.php/calgary-lawncare-services.html

freshprince1
08-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Green Drop is a great company, I would defintely use them if you're looking into a lawn care company. But if you have quack grass, it cannot be controlled by using a herbicide or weed control. There is no product on the market that can spray for quack grass, so no lawn care company can help you out.

Quack grass is a "grass", and so, will not be affected by selective herbicide used to kill dandelions and other weeds groing amidst grass.

The only thing you can do to get rid of quack grass is to selectively kill it or cut it out. It grows about 33% faster than normal grass, so you can let it grow out a bit, and then drop Round-Up on the blades. You can put on some rubber gloves, dip your fingers in the Round-Up then rub each blade. but be careful, Round-Up kills everything green. Or you can just cut out that portion of grass and put a new piece of sod in it.

I'd suggest doing something though, if this is new grass, you want it to come in without quack grass, because all it does is spread.

Good luck.