PDA

View Full Version : Am I too old now?

S2kpwr
08-05-2011, 09:50 PM
It's been only a couple of years since I graduated from a university.

Back in the days, especially in high school, every paycheck was spent on a car. Even if I knew that I could never get the money back, I spent ridiculous amount of money on after market stuff. I had fun driving every manual Japanese car. That time I didn't even have enough money for 15 year-old RHD skyline and I promised myself to buy one when I start making real money.

Now I can afford more than one skyline. :D However, I stopped looking at those Japanese cars. Whenever I see people driving with souped up Japanese cars, they all look like high school kids to me (no offence). People driving cars with loud mufflers, nice rims, and body kits (doesn't have to be ricy) DON'T LOOK cool to me at all anymore.

Now I rather drive nice and luxurious german cars without any mods as possible. What's wrong with me?? I feel like I'm too old now...am I the only one?

Abeo
08-05-2011, 10:13 PM
I picked up a car like I had when I was 24... wanted it to do it right this time, and remembered how much fun I had. Now that I have the funds, I say why not. Half the fun for me is building it up though.

My thoughts are: who cares what other people think. Drive what you want to drive, whether its a new S4 or an old ricebox... as long as you are having fun.

ddduke
08-05-2011, 11:02 PM
I'm on the same page as you. I still mod my vehicles like crazy, it's just changed from 5k japanese cars that are super ricey to different types of vehicles.

Even if I bought a brand new Mercedes I'd still put rims, tint, exhaust, some cf, etc. on it.

mo_money2supe
08-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Wow, sounds like me down to a tee! With the exception of Civics instead of Skylines though. I'm even considering selling my EG Civic that my family has had since new and that I've owned for the last 10 years! I've put in so much of my time and money into that Civic, but I'm frankly just getting bored of that "scene." Doesn't help that everytime I go to a beyond meet/cruise, all the EG owners are averaging a decade younger than me.

I've been looking quite heavily into a newer used B7 S4/RS4 lately and though I will likely keep most of it stock, I'd still try and make it unique by either getting a rarer colour (blue, red, or yellow), or at least changing up the rims/exhaust to be different than the rest of the crowd. Guess that part of me hasn't changed: being unique.

Cooked Rice
08-06-2011, 01:21 AM
lol yup, same thing happened to me all within the last 2 years or so and i'm only 22. I still have that money-pit memorabilia sitting in my garage. Nothing Japanese really appeals to me anymore, well nothing under $80,000 anyways. I'm more of a SUV, pickup truck person now. Although I've recently been itching for a Ford Fiesta as a nice little city commuter.

triplep
08-06-2011, 01:30 AM
I wouldn't say getting older is the right word.......

How about mature and refined tastes?

ga16i
08-06-2011, 07:41 AM
haha, yup you're too old now.
Same thing happened to me last year when I decided to sell the 240 and pick up a new Versa instead. Suddenly reliability, storage and even practicality were a priority. Used to be that between a buddy and myself I'd use up ALL my covered AMA tows every year and we'd spend an afternoon or weekend fixing things. I'm happy to say I've yet to use AMA since getting the Versa haha :clap:

Spending habits have definitely changed, hell the E-3 with a 50-200mm costs more than what I paid for an engine. Now the only "interesting" cars to look at are definitely $50k+ while my daily has basically become an appliance. It's still fun to take the Versa around corners and push her to the limit, but it's not a "go" car. Sad thing is, because the 240 was governed, the Versa can actually go faster given enough road and does it fairly quietly haha.

Shlade
08-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice
lol yup, same thing happened to me all within the last 2 years or so and i'm only 22. I still have that money-pit memorabilia sitting in my garage. Nothing Japanese really appeals to me anymore, well nothing under $80,000 anyways. I'm more of a SUV, pickup truck person now. Although I've recently been itching for a Ford Fiesta as a nice little city commuter.

Still got the 240?

Cos
08-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Happened to me. I still have this yearning to own one of the cars off the FnF. I remember when the first one came out, I was 16 or 17 and just had my first car, damn that had an impact on me.

The exact thing you are talking about is the reason I am having a hard time finding a second car. Everything is either too boy racer or too grown up and you cant mod. Really it seems like the only thing in the middle are Vettes, Porsches, and Mustangs. Pretty much all have their downsides that just dont let me open the wallet. That is how I got stuck on bikes so much I guess.

One day I will break out of this funk.

Kona9
08-06-2011, 08:51 AM
When I was 19 (16 years ago) I built a Mazda B2200 truck with 10 switch hydraulics. For whatever reason, now I want another B2200 to slap a Mustang 5.0 302 in. Lower it a bit, roll cage. why? I have no idea. Mostly because I found a truck for 400 bucks and an engine and tranny for 700. Cheap fun I guess.

Who cares what others think. You are only on earth once, don't die wishing you had have.....

S2kpwr
08-06-2011, 09:14 AM
It's not really I care what other people think about me. I just feel it that way.

I had a couple of turbocharged civic and prelude pushing around 350whp (don't remember the exact number anymore lol). I bragged about how my car is faster than some of high end sports cars. lol

It's not like I was going to be a professional racer or anything. Now I really don't see the point of spending that much to pull that much horsepower when it is absolutely obsolete on the street (of course I did some stupid things back in the days lol).

It would be still fun to drive one of those early 90's Japanese sport cars from time to time, but I don't think I will ever own one again.

I also start not being able to justify myself paying or people asking so much money for 10 or 15 year old car because it's pushing 300whp or whatever. Sometimes, what they are asking for their 10 or 15 year old cars is just as much as brand new cars.

S2kpwr
08-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by ga16i
haha, yup you're too old now.
Same thing happened to me last year when I decided to sell the 240 and pick up a new Versa instead. Suddenly reliability, storage and even practicality were a priority. Used to be that between a buddy and myself I'd use up ALL my covered AMA tows every year and we'd spend an afternoon or weekend fixing things. I'm happy to say I've yet to use AMA since getting the Versa haha :clap:

Spending habits have definitely changed, hell the E-3 with a 50-200mm costs more than what I paid for an engine. Now the only "interesting" cars to look at are definitely $50k+ while my daily has basically become an appliance. It's still fun to take the Versa around corners and push her to the limit, but it's not a "go" car. Sad thing is, because the 240 was governed, the Versa can actually go faster given enough road and does it fairly quietly haha.

Just like how I picked up Prius for my wife. lol

Cooked Rice
08-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by S2kpwr

Just like how I picked up Prius for my wife. lol

Oh damn, married now too, that's another factor.

Maybelater
08-06-2011, 11:00 AM
If you have the money and it isn't a daily driver I don't see why not :dunno:

max_boost
08-06-2011, 12:00 PM
It's all good man. Priorities, preferences etc. changes over time.

I'm to the point where I just want a car that's reliable, looks ok, good on gas and gets me from A to B.

Having a fast car and not being able to drive it fast is risky business. I get a speed ticket every year and it's always the 30+ variety :rofl: :facepalm: And those who know me, know I'm fairly tamed. It's just when I step on it, I always get nailed! :cry: :burnout:

As for having a nicer/modded/lowered car, always having to worry about inclines/declines, parking too close to idiots who don't care, getting shit stolen etc.

Honestly all these new fuel conscious cars has me very intrigued. Flying under the radar is not bad sometimes.

Sorath
08-06-2011, 01:42 PM
I feel the same way, the only reason i sold my bmw was because i was afraid of the maintenance

Sugarphreak
08-06-2011, 05:20 PM

Sentry
08-06-2011, 05:44 PM
I'm getting to that point, but I still want something moddable that can be made fast as shit.

I've been eyeing Aristos pretty hard lately...

03ozwhip
08-07-2011, 08:22 AM
im 31 and im a 50/50 on modding because i have no time to do it, but i hate a stock car so its gotta be done. i bought a jdm gt4 only a couple months ago because i wanted a fun car for cheap.

cant get any more bang for the buck there. i dont care how old i am, i like the cars i like and thats that. i can also drive it year round which i like.

however, my next car i will be completely out of JDMs and back to domestic. 68 mustang will be my next car, probably next year. i feel more suited to a muscle car these days but cant afford a good one until next year(weed out 80s and 90s "muscle cars", i want a REAL muscle car).

thats my story and im sticking to it!

Maxt
08-07-2011, 08:25 AM
I know how the OP feels, I am bordering 40 and still driving a loud as F, flame belching rx7..But I know even if I moved on to something like an m5 or amg something, it would only be a matter of time before its a loud as F flame belching M5 or amg something.
To me the modding is the best and most fun part, then seeing it make power. I like the technology aspect of it, and the creativity aspect. Its a mind exercise that frees me from work stress, machine it, wire it , tune it...
The worst part about modded cars, is that a lot performance parts out there on the market, are not anywhere near OEM quality, so the addition of such makes the car unreliable and uncomfortable. If you drop 20k on parts that make the car a total POS its pretty disheartening.
Its pretty important I find to have another vehicle though that just starts and runs with little to no attention with zero mods, it keeps the novelty of having a car on the wild side fresh and a blast to drive as a break from the mundane.
Personally I don't care what people think of my car either, I know its a 24 year old beater.

BigBadVlad
08-07-2011, 10:03 AM
heh I wish I had the disposable income for some newer, nicer cars. Most all different cars have different appeal, I look at cars alot like pokemon, I gotta have'em all! Well almost. I wish I had a bit more money to buy a few of my favorite cars from my youth and wish I could say, "Today I feel like driving the Typhoon or the GN" etc... I would still mod them all as I see appropriate. I can honestly I appreciate most different kinds of cars for the different appealing characteristics they have. Lifted 4X4's are the least appealing but even now as I'm starting to think how nice it would be to have a trailer and/or a boat I can see how having a truck would be nice but I would probably go for a fast pavement pounding SUV just because it would fit my family better and my need for speed haha. Hopefully with my wife going back to work I'll have some more money for daddy's toys in the next 5 years... Kids don't cost more my money as they get older right? At some point they start making me money somehow right? ;)

kvg
08-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Like it has been proven by this thread tastes change.

sillysod
08-07-2011, 11:46 AM
I understand 100%.

I used to dump thousands and thousands of dollars into my cars.

Got married, have a little guy and a mortgage, things change quickly.

I don't like the look of "modded" cars. My A4 is pretty much only a weekend car now and my wife uses it sometimes to bomb around town when it's nice out.

Other then the drop and wheels it looks completely stock. It's cool to have your giant intercooler hanging out the front but I spent many weekends playing in the garage trying to fab up piping so that it is well hidden. If you look closely you can see something is up, but most people don't notice and it doesn't look like some teenagers car.

My wife went from the Range Rover (that I spent easily 20k on modifiying) to a Passat Station Wagon. :D Reliability suddenly becomes a factor as you hit your 30's.

My DD is a new 4cylinder Frontier :rofl:, doesn't get much more boring than that. But it's perfect for running around town and the fuel consumption is fantastic.

03ozwhip
08-07-2011, 06:38 PM
for me i have to have the family car and then MY car. i already have the 68 mustang at my dads house, its all about putting it back together which will take a while so in the meantime, i like driving my "teenagers" car :D