PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for one or two pot cooking?

Guillermo
08-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Hey guys,

I'm staying in a hotel that has a kitchenette but not much in the way of cooking utensils... I have one medium-sized saucepot, and one skillet. both have lids. I also have a really crappy spatula, and a spoon for stirring. I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas for food to make as I'm not used to cooking with such limited resources. Last night I ate jarred spaghetti sauce, which unfortunately isn't going to cut it for the rest of the week. Do you guys have any ideas for great food that's easy to make without any pots and pans?

thanks

hampstor
08-06-2011, 09:59 AM
You could make rice in the pot, then do a stirfry with the skillet (chicken or beef/carrots/celery/mushrooms etc.)

This is also pretty good on plain rice:

Marinate some thinly sliced beef for 15 minutes in:

- Light soy sauce (not required, but a nice to have)
- sliced onion (cut in half, then sliced thin)
- small amount of sugar
- sesame oil
- clove of garlic

Remove the beef and onion, then in a very lightly oiled pan saute the beef until the onions are caramelized. The juice from the beef and onions goes really well on the rice too.

If avail, pickup a small container of kimchi. It goes well with it.

kamakurakid
08-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Ask at the front desk for more pots, etc. Get a slow cooker if staying for long. A wok would work well as a one pot as well.

Guillermo
08-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
You could make rice in the pot, then do a stirfry with the skillet (chicken or beef/carrots/celery/mushrooms etc.)

This is also pretty good on plain rice:

Marinate some thinly sliced beef for 15 minutes in:

- Light soy sauce (not required, but a nice to have)
- sliced onion (cut in half, then sliced thin)
- small amount of sugar
- sesame oil
- clove of garlic

Remove the beef and onion, then in a very lightly oiled pan saute the beef until the onions are caramelized. The juice from the beef and onions goes really well on the rice too.

If avail, pickup a small container of kimchi. It goes well with it.

^^great idea. i'll have to see if I can find small jars of sauces (or even some kind of prepared mix or whatever). i didn't even think of making that.

i guess I can also make some indian food and stuff.

dj_rice
08-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Since you have a medium sized pot, buy a blade steak pot roast, a can of beef stock, some carrots/onions and spices. Throw into a pot, put on stove for 5-6 hours on low-medium and some tender ass pot roast with veggies and gravy after

If your hotel has a oven, Costco sells ready for oven prepared meals for $10-15 each