PDA

View Full Version : ITB filtration for a daily driver

slinkie
08-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Tried searching but couldn't really find anything. I am wondering what kind of setups Beyonders are running regarding ITB filtration, particularly on daily drivers. Mainly I am concerned with engine longevity and optimum performance, but I would also like to maximize the ITB sound :bigpimp: until I get sick of it anyway. The car will be a DD in Calgary year-round, also I do a few road trips back to Vancouver a few times a year, last year the car spent 2 months in Vancouver so rain is a concern.

-I am wary of the motorcycle socks since I have seen dyno results showing power loss vs. a conventional "cone filter & snorkel" setup.

-Would running open stacks be okay once in a while, maybe one or two days out of a month? What about open stacks in the rain?

So far I am leaning towards a large foam filter - held on by a few quick-releases for track days or whatever, leaves ample room for the velocity stacks to do their thing, and doesn't muffle sound as much as a snorkel&cone setup.
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc129/marvinng86/20v%20swap/20venginebay12.jpg

If you have ITBs please chime in

M.alex
08-06-2011, 09:21 PM
I don't have ITBs, but I've done a lot of research into them for a V8 (choosing between them vs a ported fast vs a custom beck manifold vs a custom carbon fiber crossram manifold)

Here's what I've garnered so far (again, on V8s)

If you use the socks expect massive hp restriction - upwards of 100hp .... it has to do with how the air flows into them, and how the filtrations effects it. Same w/ the foam filter. Improperly designed filtration murders them

You can leave them open, but woe be you if it rains or you injest a rock (after finding the odd rock or two sitting ontop of my air cleaner, there's no way in hell I'd run open throttle bodies on the road).

What a lot of people do is take the power loss w/ the socks and at the track run them without filtration.

Beyond that, the only way to minimize power loss will be to have a PROPERLY designed air box for them. For example, a Jenvey box for their unit:

http://www.jenvey.co.uk/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/ABLS1.jpg

s3v3n
08-06-2011, 11:38 PM
that foam-sided filter box is interesting. any before/after dyno to see affect on hp?

seems like the safest way would be to build a box around the itbs (with as much volume as possible) and have one or more giant filters attached to the box. somewhat like above but hopefully much larger.

throw a pressure gauge on it and make sure that it doesnt suck vac (restriction). also make sure that it is large enough to not disrupt airflow around the itbs.

downside: probably kills the sound a bit
upside: doesnt kill your engine, or your power

M.alex
08-07-2011, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by s3v3n
that foam-sided filter box is interesting. any before/after dyno to see affect on hp?

seems like the safest way would be to build a box around the itbs (with as much volume as possible) and have one or more giant filters attached to the box. somewhat like above but hopefully much larger.

throw a pressure gauge on it and make sure that it doesnt suck vac (restriction). also make sure that it is large enough to not disrupt airflow around the itbs.

downside: probably kills the sound a bit
upside: doesnt kill your engine, or your power

That foam XS one above I think robs LS engines of around 60rwhp on the dyno.

The Jenvy boxes I posted are adequate size for a large displacement V8.

5fivespeed
08-07-2011, 01:46 AM
I have ITB's. We used humifier foam and designed it to fit in my ITB velocity stacks. Mopac sells K&N ITB filters.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/drifting86/Calgary-20110715-00148.jpg

Ray

s3v3n
08-07-2011, 04:38 AM
^^^
it just seems like individual filters over the entrances would kinda negate the benefits of the stack since airflow wouldnt be ideal leading in and youd also have a filter restricting an already very small opening...

That foam XS one above I think robs LS engines of around 60rwhp on the dyno.

The Jenvy boxes I posted are adequate size for a large displacement V8.
60whp is a lot of restriction, geez. obviously it would be less for a smaller displacement engine, but still.

hard to tell the size of those cf boxes without a size ref, but is seems that youd basically want to build a box as large as your engine setup would allow ideally.

M.alex
08-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by s3v3n
^^^
it just seems like individual filters over the entrances would kinda negate the benefits of the stack since airflow wouldnt be ideal leading in and youd also have a filter restricting an already very small opening...

60whp is a lot of restriction, geez. obviously it would be less for a smaller displacement engine, but still.

hard to tell the size of those cf boxes without a size ref, but is seems that youd basically want to build a box as large as your engine setup would allow ideally.

I'd trust that a manufacturer who deals specifically w/ ITBs, like Jenvy, knows the proper sized air plenums you need.

My very rough understanding is any type of filtration over it (like the first pic, or socks in the last pic posted) effects how the air flows into the trumpets from the sides, which results in the serious hp loss. Air boxes are mandatory (at least on V8s) if you don't want to loose hp.

Also, I would NOT use individual socks (like in the last pic) - a friend did on his ls7 and somehow (he's not certain how) the socket got sucked into the throttle body!

Onassis
08-07-2011, 05:17 PM
I had ITB's on my Toda build a long time ago, just stay the hell away from japanese companies like HKS and Blitz for filters.

kolumbo69
08-08-2011, 01:14 AM
You could use the mesh filters, it protects against larger debris.

962 kid
08-08-2011, 01:26 AM
Airboxes are definitely the way to go. If you feel like making a custom filter box then this stuff is a good alternative to a K&N cone or trying to retrofit an OEM filterbox

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=AIRFILTERFOAM

RZRSHARP_SVX
08-08-2011, 07:55 PM
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s267/RZRSHARP_SVX/255128_10150278601987160_502507159_9233516_1341067_n.jpg

this is what my buddy did on his. and he daily's this car