PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting clutch feel on 2011/2012 Elantra

BigYellowMonkey
08-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Hey guys,

I took a 2012 Elantra 6speed for a test drive yesterday, and thought the car was great, but for the last several years the only manual I've driven has been a couple of Civics... and so I'm used to the "throw length" and pedal weight of the Honda clutches. The Elantra's was noticeably softer, like I could push the clutch with one finger, and felt like I could push it in exceptionally far, even compared to my 92 Civic.

I also drove a 2010 civic, which I thought had a great clutch feel, but the parking brake handle digs into my leg while I'm driving so that's pretty much a deal breaker for me at this point.

Anyways, is there any way to make adjustments to how soft the clutch pedal is, and/or to how far it pushes in? I was able to shift easily with the clutch only about 3/4 of the way in, just like on my 92, so I don't understand why it goes so far back.

Modelexis
08-07-2011, 10:52 AM
I'm pretty sure it's a hydraulic clutch, in that case:

(taken from yahoo answers)

There is no adjustment on a hydraulic clutch. They adjust themselves.

You just have to adapt to the clutch feel.

Sentry
08-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Well, there is one adjustment. You can screw in or out the pushrod for the master cylinder from the pedal clevis. This will change at what pedal height the clutch disengages.

Ideally you want it to disengage as high as possible without slipping, that way when you go to change gears you have a larger window of the clutch being disengaged and can shift faster. More of a trick for slaying gears on the drag strip where you have to click into the next gear as fast as possible. Doesn't matter anywhere else really.