PDA

View Full Version : New car purchase. What should I offer?

heavyfuel
08-07-2011, 11:39 AM
So I have 15 grand to put down on a 2011 EVO GSR. Sticker price is like 41 thousand. I have never bought a new vehicle before, but I've had tons of friends tell me that they got new cars and trucks way below the sticker price. I have perfect credit and a decent downpayment, which puts me in control but I don't know what a reasonable "grind" would be, what should I offer? How low should I start?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Id offer $38000 and go from there. I got a 2011 STi down from $43800 to $42000 last week but I didn't buy the car.

Guillermo
08-07-2011, 11:52 AM
if you're serious about getting a low price, make sure you take your time.... shop around at different dealers, and start negotiating at each one to see which can offer the lowest price. Then, use that offer at the other dealership to see if they can beat that, and then go back to the other and see if they can go even lower.

definitely don't go in hoping to take home a car the same day. be prepared to walk awayif they don't take the price you offer. leave your phone number in case they decide to call you back later.

see if you can figure out what the dealership pays for the car, and start your offer there. (i don't know how you can do that as I've never tried - i always buy cars that are about 2-3 years old).

also, read everything here: http://beatthecarsalesman.com/

npham
08-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Talk to X_EVO_X(Tristan) who is on here and works at Platinum Mitsu. He'll hook you up.

Arthur Dent
08-07-2011, 01:02 PM
Make sure you make you offer "all in" so that can't tack useless after. Make it include dealer doc fee, tire tax, etc, etc. Give them the number you are willing to pay and make them sort out the details. Pass on glass engraving and such (useless IMHO). Talk to the manager directly if you can - cut out the salesman walking back and forth. Be ready to walk out.

heavyD
08-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Car Cost Canada will show you how much mark up is there to play with. Print it off and take it into negotiations.

MGCM
08-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by npham
Talk to X_EVO_X(Tristan) who is on here and works at Platinum Mitsu. He'll hook you up.

x2, he always posts on here with various available deals at Platinum, I'm sure he could help you get a good deal.