PDA

View Full Version : dress shirt with jeans

rollinv4l
08-07-2011, 03:48 PM
I am just wondering i am looking to wear a dress shirt with jeans i normally dont wear this style as i am more of a jeans a t-shirt and a jeans with a hoodie type guy. I am just wondering i am going to be wearing dark blue jeans boot cut style I am wondering what color dress shirt schould i wear and do most tuck the shirt in or just leave it out.

thank you for all of your guy's help

Hakkola
08-07-2011, 03:55 PM
DO NOT tuck it in, looks fucking retarded.

Hard to say on a color, there are lots that will go, but with dark blue jeans I'll usually rock a solid colour shirt if the jeans have a solid wash and no rips or anything.

drtoohotty1
08-07-2011, 04:01 PM
i like a lighter color contrast a light blue usually looks sharp

rollinv4l
08-07-2011, 04:10 PM
i was thinking black, i also saw on youtube GQ that the guy pairs a pair of dark denim and a dress shirt along with a vest

jaysas_63
08-07-2011, 04:11 PM
when wearing a dress shirt and jeans, its important you wear the right jeans, and the right dress shirt. (and dont forget the shoes!)

a dress shirt made to be worn with slacks will have quite a bit of length, and usually wont have a straight bottom. wearing this with jeans un-tucked looks ridiculous, and out of place (its too long if it looks liek you are wearing a cape, and you have cloth trailing below your ass). the outfit has no flow, looks like you're going to work on the top, and the pub on the bottom.

also pick the right pair of jeans. i like wearing a very dark denim, almost approaching black, that has some dressy details on it. also try to move away from too much of a flare or boot cut. straighter cut, or a slight taper looks more dressed up, and will go with the dress shirt more.

tucking in or not is personal opinion. its deff harder to pull off the tucked in look, and IMO looks good only if the shirt and jeans are very well fitted. if i were you i would stick to untucked (but again make sure the dress shirt has a stright bottom, and fits you ok)

also make sure u pick a nice pair of shoes. nothing too dressy like a patent leather, but nothing to casual either. i like wearing a relatively dressy loafer with jeans

EDIT: color of the dress shirt doesn't matter. go with whatever color you like best. what matters is the cut, and fit of the dress shirt.

BrknFngrs
08-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63
when wearing a dress shirt and jeans, its important you wear the right jeans, and the right dress shirt. (and dont forget the shoes!)

Agreed 100%. A dress shirt tucked into jeans can look quite good if they aren't a overly "trendy" type of jean but if the jean/shirt isn't the appropriate type it can look brutal.

rollinv4l
08-07-2011, 04:25 PM
ok also what color shoes are good i am looking at some tan color instead of the classic black shoe

rollinv4l
08-07-2011, 04:35 PM
also is it okay to wear this style to a wedding or not

Isaiah
08-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by rollinv4l
Not a chance.

rollinv4l
08-07-2011, 04:46 PM
even if they are a nice dark color with a nice dress shirt and shoes

s3v3n
08-07-2011, 04:47 PM
unless this wedding is on a farm, or suuuuper casual, i would say no.

if its for a wedding, i would stray away from tan shoes with jeans and an untucked shirt... i wouldnt even be comfortable wearing that to a nicer restaurant.

J-hop
08-07-2011, 04:54 PM
really depends on where the wedding is, who is going, what the bride and groom are like and what your role is in the wedding.

If it is a backyard wedding, the bride and groom are relaxed people, the ceremony isn't meant to be super formal and you are just a guest then you could probably get away with it.

But in general for a wedding what I would do is get just a pair of dress pants, white or other lighter colored button up shirt, dress shoes and you can't go wrong. Throw in a tie to make it a little more formal.

I buy my casual dress stuff at eddie bauer, they have permanent press pants that can go in the washer/dryer and still keep a nice looking crease. They also sell wrinkle resistant button up shirts. the only thing I dislike about their shirts is that a lot of them are button down collars which I am not a fan of and you can't wear a tie with a button collar without looking silly.

went into Le Chateau the other day with the GF to pick up a slim tie and fedora for a themed party and they actually have a lot of nice guys stuff in there so you might want to check them out.

Hakkola
08-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63

tucking in or not is personal opinion. its deff harder to pull off the tucked in look, and IMO looks good only if the shirt and jeans are very well fitted. if i were you i would stick to untucked (but again make sure the dress shirt has a stright bottom, and fits you ok)

I don't think so dude, only time you can even think about tucking it into jeans is if you're in the rodeo or if you have something else on top of the shirt like a vest.

There are very few people that can pull off a tucked in dress shirt and jeans, and they have to be the right jeans, most of the time it will be old people and geeks that tuck their shirts into jeans.

Unless you look like a model or some shit I wouldn't suggest it.

Actually I'm not going to compromise, if you're wearing a shirt that needs to be tucked in you probably shouldn't be wearing jeans with it in the first place. Most people that tuck into jeans are probably just trying to show off the douchebag belt buckle they just bought.

K3RMiTdot
08-07-2011, 05:52 PM
dont tuck it in, i usually wear a dark shirt with dark blue jeans. a white belt or something other than black.

rob the knob
08-07-2011, 06:43 PM
lolcatz.
i read previous post so you no calgary yokel yet i do not think you travel much outside of direct flight from canada to your europe.
tier 3 club for you in v
Originally posted by Hakkola

I don't think so dude, only time you can even think about tucking it into jeans is if you're in the rodeo or if you have something else on top of the shirt like a vest.

There are very few people that can pull off a tucked in dress shirt and jeans, and they have to be the right jeans, most of the time it will be old people and geeks that tuck their shirts into jeans.

Actually I'm not going to compromise, if you're wearing a shirt that needs to be tucked in you probably shouldn't be wearing jeans with it in the first place. Most people that tuck into jeans are probably just trying to show off the douchebag belt buckle they just bought.

turbotrip
08-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by rob the knob
lolcatz.
i read previous post so you no calgary yokel yet i do not think you travel much outside of direct flight from canada to your europe.
tier 3 club for you in v

solid post.

03ozwhip
08-07-2011, 07:19 PM
^^will someone please teach this knob how to speak english. fuckin hell.

anyways, wedding, no jeans. dress pants, tucked in dress shirt, nice belt, nice shoes. /end thread.

Cos
08-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Dress shirt and jeans looks great tucked in. Especially nice high end jeans and shirts. I even like having them with cufflinks.

To everyone saying to leave it untucked.... what do you do at work? That is way to casual for my office.

rollinv4l
08-07-2011, 07:33 PM
dam i just dont want to buy dress pants as i dont ever wear this type of clothing and wont have to wear them again.

s3v3n
08-07-2011, 08:41 PM
dam i just dont want to buy dress pants as i dont ever wear this type of clothing and wont have to wear them again.
dont worry youll find that you need dress pants more and more often. not like youre buying a suit... pair of pants isnt that expensive and will come in handy. you cant wear jeans everywhere all the time haha.

as for tucked vs untucked; as mentioned, only certain types of shirts work untucked. regular dress shirts untucked would look terrible. however, i think tucked dress shirts are definitely okay depending on fit/cut and what youre wearing with them. [nb: we are talking general wear for jeans, still not okay for a wedding]

Hakkola
08-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Cos

To everyone saying to leave it untucked.... what do you do at work? That is way to casual for my office.

Don't wear jeans? When I tuck in my shirts I wear dress pants. Except rare cases where I'll throw a vest or sweater on top like I said earlier.

What kind of office do you work at where you can wear jeans anyways?

Tik-Tok
08-07-2011, 10:50 PM

My sister-in-law brought a friend of mine to her cousins wedding, he wore jeans, 8 years later he's still referred to "Hey, remember that guy who wore jeans to our wedding? Hahahah"

Just go buy some cheap slacks.

jsn
08-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Definite no to the jeans at a wedding. Go to the bay or something, and you should be able to find a pretty cheap pair of dress pants.

Originally posted by Cos
Honestly, as soon as jeans are involved, I'd count it as casual no matter what shirt is worn, tucked or un-tucked. Might fit more under business casual than anything, but still casual.

LongCity
08-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by K3RMiTdot
dont tuck it in, i usually wear a dark shirt with dark blue jeans. a white belt or something other than black.

White belt and dark jeans :nut:

turbotrip
08-08-2011, 12:42 AM
^ u aint know? white belt, white shoes, and white sunglasses is hot shit these days.

EG6boi
08-08-2011, 02:01 AM
IMO,

Casual: Any colour dress shirt you're comfortable in. Preferably something lighter when trying to compliment darker denim. With this look, you should not tuck in but make sure you find a shirt that is made to be left out. (You can usually tell by the material of the dress shirt). Like some of the other Beyonders' have mentioned, the shoes in this case, does matter. I'd stay away from any higher heeled dress shoes or any shiny/polished black dress shoes. Stick with something more easy on the eyes like a dark brown dress shoes. If that is not your look, try some converse. This may sound kind of 'wack' but if you rock it with a nice watch, it is a very masculine/rustic look.

Higher end: You can tuck it in as long as you have a soft coloured belt to neutralize the outfit. I'd say either black or dark brown. Also, if you plan on tucking it in, I'd recommend using a blazer to make it look more professional and clean-cut.

Cos
08-08-2011, 06:59 AM

Don't wear jeans? When I tuck in my shirts I wear dress pants. Except rare cases where I'll throw a vest or sweater on top like I said earlier.

What kind of office do you work at where you can wear jeans anyways?

Engineering office.

Originally posted by jsn

Honestly, as soon as jeans are involved, I'd count it as casual no matter what shirt is worn, tucked or un-tucked. Might fit more under business casual than anything, but still casual.

I agree it is more casual but having a shirt untucked just looks sloppy as opposed to casual.

RY213
08-08-2011, 07:48 AM
Try a gingham style shirt like this:
http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/P10850954.jpg

If you wear it with dark, straight leg or slim cut jeans and stylish shoes you can tuck it in and it would look good. If youre wearing it with boot cut jeans is probably best to leave it untucked...

gqmw
08-08-2011, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Engineering office.

I agree it is more casual but having a shirt untucked just looks sloppy as opposed to casual.

Makes sense, also depends on what type of shirt you're wearing, I usually wear a more casual dress shirt when I wear jeans, but then I can only wear jeans on Friday and anything goes really on Friday.

But for the OP, definitely get a pair of dress pants, you'll find uses for it down the road even if you don't need them right now.

gqmw
08-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Lol, this morning my dress shirt isn't even getting tucked into my dress pants, forgot to wear a belt :rofl:

Mixalot27
08-08-2011, 08:18 AM
Dress it up with a pair of suspenders...

http://www.fununzip.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Steve-Urkel.jpg

Seriously unless most of the people attending will be hardcore rednecks from Saskatchewan or something the best advice is to spend the dollars on a pair of dress pants. If you look around, you can probably find something half decent for like $30.

sexualbanana
08-08-2011, 02:50 PM

Hey, fuck off that's my look!!! lol. Really it is.

I wear a dress shirt with a tie (and tie bar) with my dark-ish jeans. Most importantly is that my jeans are not ripped or faded.

I also roll up my sleeves to make it a more casual look, and I look good.

BananaFob
08-08-2011, 04:22 PM
It's absolutely fine to wear a shirt tucked into jeans, so long as it's a "slim fit" shirt and it's not designed to be worn out. It's definitely not just for nerds and rednecks, I have no idea where you're getting that from. GQ's sartorial would agree. Obviously if you have a keg for a belly, you probably shouldn't tuck in.

Depending on the taper and the "tail," a shirt can be meant to be worn in or out.

Belt should match shoes ALWAYS.

imhungry
08-12-2011, 12:10 AM
Interesting thread.
How about dress shoes?
Are dress shoes and jeans okay?

RY213
08-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by imhungry
Interesting thread.
How about dress shoes?
Are dress shoes and jeans okay?

Yes. I personally think brown dress shoes look a lot better with jeans than black ones...

gqmw
08-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by RY213

Yes. I personally think brown dress shoes look a lot better with jeans than black ones...

I agree with this. Dress shoes and jeans is perfectly fine, I think it looks pretty good.

sexualbanana
08-12-2011, 09:14 AM
I'm rocking the dress shirt, jeans and tie look right now. No dress shoes today though. Black Converses.

tom_9109
08-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by BananaFob
It's absolutely fine to wear a shirt tucked into jeans, so long as it's a "slim fit" shirt and it's not designed to be worn out. It's definitely not just for nerds and rednecks, I have no idea where you're getting that from. GQ's sartorial would agree. Obviously if you have a keg for a belly, you probably shouldn't tuck in.

Depending on the taper and the "tail," a shirt can be meant to be worn in or out.

Belt should match shoes ALWAYS.

You are 100% correct.

3drian
08-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Nice thread, IMO regardless of the situation nice jeans and nice shoes are a MUST now when it comes to tucked or not, it all depends on the shirt, I have a couple of slim fit dress shirt that are less casual (abercombie, Zara, Hollister, etc) and they go great untucked, HOWEVER if you are wearing a loose dress shirt then I recomend tucking it in (nice belt of course) because it will look retarded since they are so wide and long .. once again it really depends on the dress shirt.. thats my opinion though

jaysas_63
08-12-2011, 03:53 PM

http://cdn.buzznet.com/media-cdn/jj1/headlines/2008/01/brad-pitt-edwin-jeans.jpg

dress shirts tucked into jeans can look very nice. it just requires a more fitted cut with the shirt and jeans, which naturally lend itself to look better on people with nice builds.

its harder to pull off the look, but it deff looks sharp when done properly:thumbsup:

sexualbanana
08-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by 3drian
Nice thread, IMO regardless of the situation nice jeans and nice shoes are a MUST now when it comes to tucked or not, it all depends on the shirt, I have a couple of slim fit dress shirt that are less casual (abercombie, Zara, Hollister, etc) and they go great untucked, HOWEVER if you are wearing a loose dress shirt then I recomend tucking it in (nice belt of course) because it will look retarded since they are so wide and long .. once again it really depends on the dress shirt.. thats my opinion though

Disagree on the looser shirt. I think the looser shirt makes you (the wearer) look like a cowboy/farmer. Regardless of tie or shoes.

03ozwhip
08-12-2011, 05:24 PM
agree, non slim dress shirts dont belong in society IMO, they look retarded tucked in or not, looks like youre wearing a parachute when its tucked in.

n1zm0
08-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
agree, non slim dress shirts dont belong in society IMO, they look retarded tucked in or not, looks like youre wearing a parachute when its tucked in.

yeah with this exact same expression on your face too

http://deispot.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/0000043801_20071018142711.jpg

so you brave going to the le chateau outlet, buy some cheap dress pants for one time use, that's all clothes are good for that come from there imo, that's why its relatively cheap for stuff that looks clean.

CompletelyNumb
08-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Tucked in shirt+jeans looks better with a blazer I think.

You can pick up cheap slacks and shoes that still look good. Hit the mall up and go to TipTop Tailers for the pants and Aldo for the shoes. Sharp and cheap.

Rolled up sleeves, tucked in shirt, jeans, tie, tie bar, and converse shoes? Damn.

JordanLotoski
08-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Dress shirt, jeans and a sport jacket is my signature look.

I wear a fitted usually white dress shirt, with black skinny tie, not tied tight, shirt untucked, pair of jeans, and a very well tailored jacket...topped off with a pair of designer shoes...iam a shoe whore.:nut:

masoncgy
08-12-2011, 09:31 PM
^ It sure is... I remember coming back home after you did an open house and it was 30 million degrees in the house and you were still wearing your coat... haha.

Shirt definitely untucked with jeans, unless it's stampede time, or you're a cowboy.

RY213
08-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Shirt untucked with a blazer/sport coat looks sloppy IMO. Tuck in with a sport coat, untuck without a coat...

JordanLotoski
08-12-2011, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by RY213
Shirt untucked with a blazer/sport coat looks sloppy IMO. Tuck in with a sport coat, untuck without a coat...

I agree if the clothes are not fitted. If they are all very tailored and pressed I think it looks great

RY213
08-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by JordanLotoski

I agree if the clothes are not fitted. If they are all very tailored and pressed I think it looks great

Good point. When I think of most calgarians I picture $50 old navy boot cut jeans and a baggy button up shirt haha

max_boost
08-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Any good tailors you can recommend to get things altered? Or do you just get it done at the same place you buy the clothes?

I agree that fit is everything.

JordanLotoski
08-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Any good tailors you can recommend to get things altered? Or do you just get it done at the same place you buy the clothes?

I used to be pretty Frugle with my clothes, Then I tried on some very tailored peices and I was hooked. A good fit is everything

msommers
08-13-2011, 01:09 PM
For you guys talking about tuck or untuck...

Tons of dudes and girls actually in Paris especially but all over Europe, were rocking blue jeans and a plain, tailored, lighter blue shirt tucked with a light brown belt and loafers. I thought it looked pretty good! Sleeves rolled up if I recall..

sexualbanana
08-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

I've gone to those alteration places in Chinook and stuff and haven't had a problem.

Originally posted by JordanLotoski

I used to be pretty Frugle with my clothes, Then I tried on some very tailored peices and I was hooked. A good fit is everything

It was frustrating the first time I did it, because I realized right off the bat how badly I had dressed up until that point. That was a :banghead: moment for me.

ZorroAMG
08-14-2011, 03:25 AM
Come on, Jordan, tuck in that shirt, this isn't 2006! ;)

Tuck sans jacket or vest only works on confident people with good builds provided the proper cut and fit as mentioned.

Fatties should untuck for obvious reasons.

Jeans at a wedding looks terrible, low end and sloppy unless you are truly stylish (be honest here, your gf's opinion rarely qualifies either cause she loves you) and pair them with a tie and dress shirt.

Cool kicks (cons etc) with jeans and dress shirt is where it's at these days unless you are ed hardy or a douchebag. In which case, pointy dress shoes look "awesome, bro!"

HyperZell
08-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Lol, the OP checked out of this thread a long time ago, shortly after everyone said NO to jeans at a wedding.

I'm a pretty big fan of the jeans/dress shoes/untucked dress shirt look. It's casual, with a touch of classy flair. You just have to know how you look in certain shirts and pants. As was earlier said, baggy shirts don't work untucked for a non-fatty body type.

And I care to disagree on the pointy dress shoes thing. As long as they are not elf-pointy, they are in. Way better than the clumpy high-school-style rounded toe with a huge footprint. Pair that with highlighted hair and a shiny chain and it's like grade 12 all over again.