PDA

View Full Version : New Traffic "calming" Measure

frizzlefry
08-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Wow. When I was a kid, I was told to stay off the street. Parent/children entitlement seems to be getting out of hand. Plus, what happens when someone is distracted by all the "art" and plows into a kid?

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/energy-resources/Street+aims+ensure+motorists+picture/5217851/story.html

Defying all conventional prohibitions, the kids of Southwood played in the middle of the road Saturday — with paints no less — and all under the watchful eyes of parents, police and even Ald. Brian Pincott.
Armed with brushes dipped to the knuckles in hues of red, yellow, purple and black, the children painted rainbows, ladybugs and stick figures on the intersection at Sackville Drive S.W.
Most of the would-be Picassos even managed to colour the asphalt evenly, staying within the chalk outlines.
Not only was the “Paint the Pavement” event a chance for an outing, police and community organizers say the chirpy street graffiti will serve as a low-cost traffic-calming measure.
Drivers will “see the pictures and the street, in particular, and they’ll slow down and be more conscious of where they are,” said Rob Dickinson, a board member with the Southwood Community Association.
The intersection off Elbow Drive sits near a school, preschool and a day-care in a wide-laned older suburb filled with grass fields and lazy sidewalks that beckon children to dart and play.
“We get complaints throughout the neighbourhood for speed,” he said.
Sgt. Stephen Mann said the cute caricatures could prove more effective than forgettable signs or pricey speed bumps and roundabouts.
“Signs sometimes go unnoticed, especially in residential areas where people travel everyday,” he said.
Residential neighbourhoods in the southwest are facing more cut-through traffic and speeding vehicles than ever, as commuters seek to escape increasingly crowded arteries.
Yet the traffic calming benefits of the paintings were secondary to the joys of handing children a bucket of paint, said Pincott.
This is the 12th Paint the Pavement event held in the city, he added.
Pincott stole the idea after reading about similar initiatives in Minneapolis.
“It’s a side benefit to me that they calm traffic. They do remind drivers that people live in the neighbourhood,” he said. “The main benefit is that you get the neighbourhood out on a nice day together.”
The adult world, peppered with talk of community building and traffic flow, were beyond the concern of 7-year-old Cameron Law. Taking a break from adding a red, smiling mouth to a sun wearing black glasses, he said he was there “because it’s fun painting.”
He decided to stick to the drawings on the pavement, avoiding wayward scribbles and the temptation to add his name because “that wouldn’t look really good.”

lilmira
08-08-2011, 11:19 AM
I can help by laying down a strip of black rubber for starter.

How about the paint run off into the storm drain? I should phone 311 and file a complaint.

gretz
08-08-2011, 11:20 AM
lol... speed limit signs don't work, maybe some paint on the ground will help people be aware to slow down...:banghead:

frizzlefry
08-08-2011, 11:24 AM
wonder how the paint will effect someone's emergency stopping distance....

Anomaly
08-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
I can help by laying down a strip of black rubber for starter.

Damnit, came here to post this.

Brake stand time

/hillbilly

frizzlefry
08-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Can't wait to see how it looks after some storms and some traffic has driven over it. I'm sure the residents will love having what looks to be a big puddle of clown vomit on their road.

bspot
08-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Jeez. You guys just hate everything, don't you?

They should just put overpasses in instead... that would make everything better.

codetrap
08-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by frizzlefry
Can't wait to see how it looks after some storms and some traffic has driven over it. I'm sure the residents will love having what looks to be a big puddle of clown vomit on their road.

clown vomit. I seriously lol'd.

Anomaly
08-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by bspot
Jeez. You guys just hate everything, don't you?

They should just put overpasses in instead... that would make everything better.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5239/hatersballlarge.jpg

:dunno:

FraserB
08-08-2011, 02:04 PM
It actually holds up fine, there is zero runoff into the drains. With no maintenance the paint holds up for about 3 years and then fades.

As for actually slowing traffic, the city should have the study if you really want to look at it. I have noticed a reduction in the area where it is done in our community.

frizzlefry
08-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
It actually holds up fine, there is zero runoff into the drains. With no maintenance the paint holds up for about 3 years and then fades.

As for actually slowing traffic, the city should have the study if you really want to look at it. I have noticed a reduction in the area where it is done in our community.

Fine and dandy but I would still be concerned about how it may affect emergency braking. I am by no means a paint expert but if it does not run than its water resistant and most things that repel water are slicker than bare pavement....just sayin'.

FraserB
08-08-2011, 03:55 PM
It doesn't shellac the road and make it slippery. As far as I know, it is the exact same stuff they use for road lines, if you want I can probably look at the MSDS label and find out exactly what is in it.

Feruk
08-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Must've been a slow day in the news...

Can't wait to see how it looks after some storms and some traffic has driven over it.
Prolly will look like a 70 year old's tatoo that they got when they were 20.

Masked Bandit
08-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
It doesn't shellac the road and make it slippery. As far as I know, it is the exact same stuff they use for road lines, if you want I can probably look at the MSDS label and find out exactly what is in it.

And road lines are slippery, especially when it's wet out. Just ask anyone on a motorcycle.

Maybelater
08-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Hmmm, not that I want to be a negative nancy, but, isn't this a distraction more then anything?

Anomaly
08-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

And road lines are slippery, especially when it's wet out. Just ask anyone on a motorcycle.

Yep, went to a racing school in Nevada earlier this year and they emphasized this

hampstor
08-09-2011, 12:38 PM

Fine and dandy but I would still be concerned about how it may affect emergency braking. I am by no means a paint expert but if it does not run than its water resistant and most things that repel water are slicker than bare pavement....just sayin'.

As part of being a good driver I'm sure you already know when driving in poor road conditions where your braking distance may be affected, you slow down. Just sayin'

:devil:

J-hop
08-09-2011, 09:18 PM
could have used this last night on deerfoot between the calfrobe and 16th while heading north. It was bumper to bumper at 11 freaking pm.

some jabroni's managed to get in a 5 or so car fender bender too, just to add to the mess :facepalm:

CUG
08-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Ugh. What BS. Let the feel-good time happen, take pictures, report, and F-off. How is someone able to assume that anyone who isn't an extremely happy old lady would even notice the children's mess? Bonerwaffle, I say.

clem24
08-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Speaking of traffic calming, anyone see those concrete protrusions being built on 10th St. NW/Cambrian Dr. right at the Confed parking lot? What the heck is up with those? Seems like a very odd spot to put them, and kind of comes up very suddenly, though I suppose it's still too soon to tell what the final layout will look like. But still. Seems slightly retarded.

mucat
08-10-2011, 01:58 PM
While it is good intent to remind drivers to slow down, it is teaching kids the wrong lesson by letting them draw in the middle of the road. I always teach my kids to be off the road, no ifs or buts.