PDA

View Full Version : Rogers release for Bold 9900

Jerms
08-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Hey

So apparently today, August 9th - Rogers is suppose to release the bold 9900. Does anyone here work at Rogers or know when it will be sold? I'm in dire need to upgrade my 9000.

Thanks

shadowz
08-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Launch date is today Burma Boy, supposed to be released around the 15th

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/6852/unledlvr.jpg

Jerms
08-09-2011, 01:17 PM
That is dumb

r0g3r
08-09-2011, 02:14 PM
wha..so launch date and release date aren't the same things!??!!

weird

well apparently on mobile syrup it said that you may be able to buy the phone @ bestbuy

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/08/09/best-buy-and-future-shop-list-bell-blackberry-bold-9900-as-available-release-day-today/

though haven't confirmed

K3RMiTdot
08-09-2011, 09:19 PM
I got mine earlier today

norbel
08-09-2011, 09:22 PM
i am going tomorrow!!! can't wait

EG STyLeZ
08-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by K3RMiTdot
I got mine earlier today

From.where??

r0g3r
08-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by K3RMiTdot
I got mine earlier today

where?? did you buy it out right or what?

drewb
08-10-2011, 01:00 AM
anyone know when the new "sedona" curve is comming out?

K3RMiTdot
08-10-2011, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by r0g3r

where?? did you buy it out right or what?

Bought outright at edgement Rogers

Anton
08-10-2011, 07:54 AM
How do you guys like it? Also, what phone are you coming from to this?

Have a SGS and looking to go back to Blackberry but want to make sure that it's good. Any input is greatly appreciated!!!

HyperZell
08-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Finally, Blackberry users can get caught up to 2009.

supe
08-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Ok no need to bash in this thread.

Any word on pricing?

.jl-
08-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by supe
Ok no need to bash in this thread.

Any word on pricing?

249.99/3yr
549.99 outright

supe
08-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Those numbers dont make sense at all. F'n BB, its always a love hate thing.

I'm sure the contract price will go down, but 249 is just a rip off.

GQBalla
08-10-2011, 12:18 PM
bestbuy mobile marlborough has them in stock

riander5
08-10-2011, 12:28 PM
People still use blackberries?? I thought that was an early 2000's thing..

tha_bandit
08-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by riander5
People still use blackberries?? I thought that was an early 2000's thing..

You prob think they still have the same features too...
http://www.eaccessinc.com/images/957a.jpg VS. http://gadgetjunkieblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/bb-9900.jpeg

in a similar manner LOL
http://web.me.com/markjjohnson/Newton_Collection/MessagePad_2100_files/2001.jpg VS. http://media.gdgt.com/img/product/23/iag/iphone-4-23yt-460.jpg

Jerms
08-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Damn, so I walked around to most of the downtown cell phone locations (TD square, Petro Canada, Energy plaza) and nobody has them in stock, well wireless wave does but they can't sell them yet and it's only for Bell not Rogers. I called Rogers and they said i'll have to purchase the phone through a store, they can't mail any. Any recommendations?

supe
08-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Maybe riander5 is right? They only had blackberry's in the early 2000's.

GQBalla
08-10-2011, 04:40 PM
im considering this over my iphone 4 but i can never just make up my mind about the damn phones

if only i didn;'t have to call bell and change the plan always when i switch

K3RMiTdot
08-10-2011, 08:53 PM
So far so good I love it

ZEDGE
08-10-2011, 09:02 PM
The new touch one looks interesting.

variance
08-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
im considering this over my iphone 4 but i can never just make up my mind about the damn phones

if only i didn;'t have to call bell and change the plan always when i switch

Why do you have to call bell to switch plans? Im with TELUS and i have an "iPhone" plan but I called them once and told them I will be switching phones often between iPhone, android and blackberry. They said android is no problem to use with iphone data plan and they added a blackberry apn to my account which allows me to use my blackberry. I'm constantly switching between phones cus I can't decide what I like better

r0g3r
08-10-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm on telus and on a 'blackberry plan" but I use android/iphone and the data works fine.

supe
08-11-2011, 08:40 AM
So Best Buy is listing the 9900 at 169.99 on a 3 year plan for Bell and Virgin. I can't find a source for the Rogers price.

GQBalla
08-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by variance

Why do you have to call bell to switch plans? Im with TELUS and i have an "iPhone" plan but I called them once and told them I will be switching phones often between iPhone, android and blackberry. They said android is no problem to use with iphone data plan and they added a blackberry apn to my account which allows me to use my blackberry. I'm constantly switching between phones cus I can't decide what I like better

well i went from android, to blackberry, back to android phones than to iPhone

So they had to switch the data from blackberry data to smartphone data.

sometimes it instant, sometimes it takes up to 24 hours.

i think how my plan is set up it is different as i switched devices than figured out i wasn't able to get on internet without the data switch

variance
08-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla

well i went from android, to blackberry, back to android phones than to iPhone

So they had to switch the data from blackberry data to smartphone data.

sometimes it instant, sometimes it takes up to 24 hours.

i think how my plan is set up it is different as i switched devices than figured out i wasn't able to get on internet without the data switch

if its anything like TELUS, a "blackberry data plan" should be universal, and should be able to use this plan regardless of what smart phone you are using.

the problems comes when you are using a non blackberry data plan for a blackberry phone.

so stick to your bb plan next time, and just swap your sim cards, you shouldnt have any problems getting data access doing it this way. ive done this several times on my wifes blackberry plan that she is currently using with an iphone.

and i currently have an iphone plan but using it on a blackberry, (again they needed to add the blackberry apn to my account the very first time) after that, i never have to call them to switch anything up, just pop out the sim card..

GQBalla
08-11-2011, 12:35 PM
not sure might have to deal with my plan.

I had a blackberry than went android > data does not work
Android to blackberry > data does not work

trust me i do everything before i call into bell.

they have to modify my plan as i have a package where data is included with whatever minutes etc.

the actual codes on the plan are different (from what i remember when i worked at bestbuy mobile)

dino_martini
08-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Really looking forward to picking up a 9900 to replace my iPhone 4 which has sucked balls since I got it in November. I'm going to wait till the 31st of August since my contract will only have one year left on it then.

EG STyLeZ
08-12-2011, 05:24 PM
For those that got the Bold 9900, how is your battery life?

.jl-
08-12-2011, 10:04 PM
same as my 9700.. still gotta charge every night

dino_martini
08-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by .jl-
same as my 9700.. still gotta charge every night

Really?

I never had that issue with my 9700. I could charge it all thursday night, get up friday morning, use it all day friday, then wake up hung over saturday morning and still have probably 25% on my battery. Never had an issue with the 9700 battery life.

Do you have WiFi on? Bluetooth? those kill the battery life. I never used Wifi or bluetooth.

Errol.
08-13-2011, 01:29 AM
Battery is the same as most blackberrys in my experience.

Picked up the phone at around 11, killed it by 2 (came not fully charged like all new phones), and currently im at 20% (the last orange bar) and ive been using it non stop all day.

So should last a full day like most blackberrys i have had experience with.

r0g3r
08-13-2011, 01:32 AM
hey guys,

I picked it up and was really impressed by the device...

except the camera blows

I know it's just a phone and I shouldn't expect a really really great camera but coming from 9780 camera to this shit really isn't fair of RIM

When i had the 9780 i always got really clear picture but here they're fairly blury

Anyone experience this with Torch 9810??

Might just go for that...

K3RMiTdot
08-13-2011, 01:49 AM
my battery life blows

.jl-
08-13-2011, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by dino_martini

Really?

I never had that issue with my 9700. I could charge it all thursday night, get up friday morning, use it all day friday, then wake up hung over saturday morning and still have probably 25% on my battery. Never had an issue with the 9700 battery life.

Do you have WiFi on? Bluetooth? those kill the battery life. I never used Wifi or bluetooth.

Nope..bluetooth and wifi are always off. I unplug my blackberry in the morning and by the time I got to sleep, my battery bar is yellow so I have to charge it or else it'll shut down in the morning

K3RMiTdot
08-13-2011, 02:05 AM
btw for everyone wanting to upgrade rogers changed the price from 250---> 200

http://crackberry.com/rogers-lowers-pricing-blackberry-bold-9900-199

Davex
08-13-2011, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by r0g3r
hey guys,

I picked it up and was really impressed by the device...

except the camera blows

I know it's just a phone and I shouldn't expect a really really great camera but coming from 9780 camera to this shit really isn't fair of RIM

When i had the 9780 i always got really clear picture but here they're fairly blury

Anyone experience this with Torch 9810??

Might just go for that... I just watched a video taken by the new bold 9900 720p HD cam and it was amazing, you using the right phone/settings?

r0g3r
08-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Yeah man,

the video shooting is pretty good but it's the picture taking thats not going so well

I checked online and it's because no autofocus hardware on it

they removed it to make it thinner..so now the camera's picture quality is worse than rim's previous devices...

:facepalm:

EG STyLeZ
08-15-2011, 04:50 PM
So my first impressions on this phone are that it is very fast, you can have multiple web pages going and each one will still scroll smoothly. The touchscreen is a very nice touch when used in combination with the keypad.

Battery life sucks, the battery is in the red by the end of the day even with minimal internet browsing and no youtube.

The touchscreen does take some getting used to especially when trying to click things near the edges of the screen or when there are several clickable links near each other

And as mentioned, the camera no longer has autofocus, however I find the quality is still pretty good.

riced
08-16-2011, 09:18 AM
I went and picked this up yesterday since I was a huge fan of the original bold and loved its keyboard - the second I got home and got around to playing with it - I realized I didn't love it.

I ended up going back and returning it. I had it for about an hour.

The touchscreen was great - that was the reason I got it in the first place, but I found that every time they update the OS, there seems to be minimal changes and it felt like it lacked a lot of things. Almost seems like they move things around, change the icons a bit and that's it.

Perhaps it's because I'm coming from an iPhone where they are two totally different things - but even reading things like twitter and facebook on it was extremely bland. Looked like notepad text.

It's a good phone if you aren't big on the "entertainment" aspect of a phone. It was difficult to make that transition though - even though it was only for an hour.

supe
08-16-2011, 09:44 AM
I also got to play with this phone. My impressions are its by far the nicest, fastest, coolest blackberry to date. But at the end of the day its still a blackberry which means it wont be for everyone.

The make of the phone is top notch. It feels like a very expensive gadget when you hold it in your hand. The bezel is stainless steel with metal buttons which is a very nice touch. The keyboard is also very nice if you're into that. The touchscreen was surprisingly pleasant when using the browser which was very responsive both when navigating and zooming.

The biggest downside is it still has that Blackberry UI which just feels a bit dated.

As riced pointed out, this phone wont be for everyone. QNX can't come fast enough and the rumors of Android apps running on Blackberry's would help boost the phones popularity. In the end I think RIM put out a very respectable device, I guess time will tell if they hit the market expectations, whatever is left of it anyway.

MugenBB6
08-16-2011, 01:08 PM
Loving my 9900 so far. My app world seems to be lagging haaaard for some reason. It won't let me download some apps, then it lags and boots me out lol. But other then that, I think its an amazing phone. The keyboard feels amazing. Thumbs up for supporting a canadian company.

variance
08-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by MugenBB6
Thumbs up for supporting a canadian company.

did you really just give your self a thumbs up?? haha

the 9900 is a good phone from the one hour i spent playing with my friends phone, its extremely fast. however, i would maybe wait until early Q1 2012 for the rumour batch of new QNX phones to arrive.

dino_martini
08-16-2011, 08:00 PM
I would not hold out for QNX. Its unproven as a smartphone platform, and the Playbook has been a let down so far. Though as soon as the Android app player thing gets going, it will make the Playbook far more interesting.

I'm going to be picking up a 9900 at the end of this month since my contract is nearing its end. iPhone is in my opinion more of a media device with phone capabilities vs a phone with media capabilities (BlackBerry)

God I love a physical keyboard.

And I also must say, :thumbsup: to anyone supporting RIM. I'm proud to be Canadian, may as well support a Canadian company.

MugenBB6
08-17-2011, 02:00 AM
^ lol yes, yes I did.

K3RMiTdot
08-20-2011, 09:19 PM
mines been pissing me off... so im going to go in and swap it out for another one

one of the problems i encountered was... the notifcations werent being displayed. it showed the star beside the icon, but wouldnt display on the top banner bar.

As well as sometimes the phone wouldnt turn on...

not sure if anyone faced these problems with their 9900

signature7
08-22-2011, 01:50 AM
Mines been working fine but why the hell does it say I only have 77 mb of application storage when I have way less apps than my torch and my torch said I had almost 200 mb? Anyone got a fix for that issue?

Team_Mclaren
08-26-2011, 06:35 PM
did they lower the price to 99 for new contracts? i thought i saw that somewhere but couldnt find it

K3RMiTdot
08-27-2011, 05:52 PM
i got mine swapped out to a new one.. seems fine but the battery one this one sucks more than before.. i hope they come out with an os update that improves the batttery life... even by a little bit help
=D

dino_martini
08-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
did they lower the price to 99 for new contracts? i thought i saw that somewhere but couldnt find it

Rogers price dropped the 9900 and 9810 to $99 on a 3 year contract. But i believe that is only until September 5 or something like that.

Team_Mclaren
08-28-2011, 11:08 AM

Rogers price dropped the 9900 and 9810 to $99 on a 3 year contract. But i believe that is only until September 5 or something like that.

new contract only or hardware upgrade as well?

projekz
08-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Anyone use their NFC on the 9900 yet? I'm curious on what actual use there is for it?

dino_martini
09-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

new contract only or hardware upgrade as well?

Should work for anyone, maybe it just depends on how many months you have left on your contract. I'm with Bell so I cannot specifically comment on the procedures at Rogers

.jl-
09-01-2011, 10:39 AM

Should work for anyone, maybe it just depends on how many months you have left on your contract. I'm with Bell so I cannot specifically comment on the procedures at Rogers

Essentially the same..

upgrade will be priced $50 more than the new activation price until you redeem your mail in rebate and have a $35 administration fee

new contract will have $35 activation fee unless there's an in store promo

Either way in the end its the same price unless you're doing an early hardware upgrade, than its $15 each month until you're eligible on top of the price of the phone

Team_Mclaren
09-01-2011, 11:47 AM

I cant find this anywhere!! and the idiots at the rogers store said 199?!!!!!?!?!? :banghead:

DGill
09-01-2011, 11:55 AM
the 9900 is 199 on an upgrade, i guess rogers is matching the 99 for new contracts only.

.jl-
09-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Oh..also forgot to mention and I didn't check..Hardware upgrade prices follow the new activation prices that are shown on the rogers.com site....not in the store

ddmmak
09-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Ive upgraded my OS to .353... seems quite good on battery... All day consumption is around 20-25%. Unplugged at 7am... right now im at 80% left..

Team_Mclaren
09-01-2011, 03:55 PM
just got mine. the touch screen is pretty sensenstive like the iphone. its pretty big tho i wished its the same size as the 9700