PDA

View Full Version : platinum Mitsubishi used car department sucks at customer service!

marc
08-09-2011, 01:48 PM
This is just a lame rant but I would like fellow beyonders to weigh in on my issue to help me better understand dealerships.

So i had been looking around for a 1994-1996 Mercedes C280 (w202 chassis). after looking at a few for private sale i hadn’t found anything that fit what I was looking for. Then i came across a C280 posted up on beyond for sale at Platinum Mitsubishi used car lot. The car had the mileage i wanted, great overall body condition and was a decent price all things considered.

So Saturday i drive down to the dealership to see the car in person, get there at 5:00 as things were starting to close down. The salesman did not come across as wanting to show me the car but i assumed it was because it was the end of the day and he just wanted to go home. This was fine with me so i asked him to schedule a test drive for noon on Monday. He promised to call me first thing Monday to confirm.

So Monday rolls around and i hear nothing all day from the salesman, assuming that maybe he had a prior arrangement at noon i decided to wait the rest of the day but still no call.

Tuesday at noon i visit the dealership to take the test drive i had been waiting for. When i arrived the car was sold, after speaking to my salesman he informed me it had sold Monday afternoon and that he had "forgotten" to call me. He the proclaimed that i wouldn't have wanted the car anyways, it needed to much work by his definition. This was a ridiculous and insulting statement since he had spent no time to find out what i was looking for out of the car and what i might be willing to repair or replace on the vehicle. To say the least this experience was not impressive and has left me with no will to ever purchase or recommend Platinum Mitsubishi to any one.

Maybe this is only a reflection on this one salesman but i feel that (having been a salesman myself) you must act as an ambassador for your place of employment. Sales aren’t about the first sale you make but building a client basis off of customers you have helped in the past and who want to continue buying from you, and i know for sure that i will NOT be dealing with platinum again. I had trusted them because my family had bought 2 of our last 3 vehicles from Platinum's used car lot and had always thought highly of there integrity as a dealership and the salesman they employ.

The long and short of my story is that the excuses delivered by the platinum’s salesman were insulting and baffling as to how he could judge what I wanted without speaking more then 2 dozen words to me.

I guess cash in hand and a real eagerness to buy this car was not enough to make a client for life.

AE92_TreunoSC
08-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Not rant worthy in my opinion.

If you want something you go get it. You waited for it to come to you after showing up at closing on a friday...

Also complain to the used sales manager, not us.

marc
08-09-2011, 02:03 PM
actually i came and looked at it saturday when they were closing.

thank you for your opinion though.

jaylo
08-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Just move on.

You trusted a used car salesman to call you back on Monday after showing up on a Friday when they were closing?

If you really wanted that car that bad, you would have showed up there at 7:30 Monday morning to pick it up.

Sugarphreak
08-09-2011, 02:14 PM

marc
08-09-2011, 02:24 PM
yah it was an overlook to not go first thing monday, sucks having to work an 8-5.

it is possible, the salesman i spoke to may not have known it had a pending sale on it. still doesnt excuse forgetting to call and telling me i didnt want anyways. a pending sale would have been the perfect excuse to make me happy.

I would have been choked to have that happen right before a mechanical inspection.

lesson learned

Cos
08-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Although that sucks they made their sale. What do you expect from them?

revelations
08-09-2011, 07:54 PM
A dick move by the sales staff, but compared to some of the other rants on Beyond, this is pretty weaksauce.

heavyfuel
08-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Fuck I dunno... I was in there a few weeks ago and I feel bad that I had to walk, cuz the salesman was awesome and patient and really willing to work with me, in the end the used car manager didn't wanna budge on his price, which I felt was too high. I have no complaints about Platinum, and this is not rant worthy either IMO.

ddduke
08-09-2011, 11:58 PM
You're just being a huge baby. Is this seriously worth damaging a dealership's reputation?

When I want a vehicle I make sure to be the first one to look at it and I wouldn't have waited for a call, I would have showed up during the first open hour to take a look at it. Suck it up, it sucks you didn't get your car, but obviously you didn't want it that bad because if you did and the car did sell after noon then you would have definitely been able to get it.

Also, if you've been in sales then you would understand that if a customer is serious then they make the effort to buy something. I'm in sales and most people that I deal with are just time wasters. If I have one opening left and someone tells me they're really interested in it, then another person shows up ready to sign a contract then you best believe that I'm going to sign right then and there. Another thing, some salesmen don't like to be pushy, which means maybe he wasn't comfortable calling you, I don't bug my customers, if they want something then I wait for them to call me. You probably weren't the best salesmen.

2Legit2Quit
08-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Burn the place down.

TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL!

nobb
08-10-2011, 07:42 AM
Sounds more like an issue with the particular salesman rather then the dealership. Yes, the sales guy should have atleast called you back due to courtesy but he is under no obligation to reserve the car for you if you havent left a deposit.

Even from selling random crap on kijiji...you will realize that most potential buyers will never come back and are time wasters. This is the reason why they ask you for a deposit to show commitment. Scheduling a test drive is hardly an indication of commitment.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-10-2011, 08:05 AM
Should have left a deposit. You weren't that interested if you didn't.

marc
08-10-2011, 09:45 AM
thank you all beyonders for wieghing in on my comment.

your opinions for the most part were insightful as to how to approach a dealership when purchasing a vehicle. This was my first time ever attempting to purchase a vehicle at a dealership as i have always delt with private sales when buying my vehilces in the past. I now know where my short falls in this situation were and will not let a great deal like this one slip away in the future.

I appologize if i effected platinums direct reputation, this is more so a reflection on an specific salesman of theirs.

my one comment on the relpys is to: "Another thing, some salesmen don't like to be pushy, which means maybe he wasn't comfortable calling you, I don't bug my customers, if they want something then I wait for them to call me. You probably weren't the best salesmen." ddduke quote

thank you for your comment but in all fairness the salesman agreed to call me monday to confirm. so if following your logic it would be perfectly fine to promise a follow up call at a specific date and not follow through with it because you dont want to be pushy? You might be right, i may not have been the best salesman but i always tried to be an honest salesman and follow through with my promises even if it was to break bad news to a customer.