PDA

View Full Version : roof rack for bikes

Sliver
08-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Did a quick, half-assed search and didn't come up with anything. I'm looking for a roof rack for the war wagon - an '07 Toyota Sienna. I need it to hold two adult-sized bicycles and I want it to attach to the existing, factory roof racks. Any ideas (aside from Racks Unlimited, who seem to be kind of expensive)?

TIA

Sugarphreak
08-10-2011, 11:36 AM

Sliver
08-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I would prefer the hitch-mounted kind as well for all the reasons you listed. The wind-noise thing is probably going to drive me nuts. The problem is I'm towing a tent trailer so that's kind of out, unless I mount a hitch onto the tent trailer which is a bit of a PITA for an unhandy guy like myself.

Sugarphreak
08-10-2011, 11:57 AM

Abeo
08-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Sliver
Yeah, I would prefer the hitch-mounted kind as well for all the reasons you listed. The wind-noise thing is probably going to drive me nuts. The problem is I'm towing a tent trailer so that's kind of out, unless I mount a hitch onto the tent trailer which is a bit of a PITA for an unhandy guy like myself.

I've seen people mount bike racks on the top of tent trailers, or on the back of trailers like a hitch mount. May be a route to explore

Sliver
08-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Hmmm, maybe you guys are right. I'll take a closer look at my trailer this afternoon to see what would be involved in putting a hitch-mounted rack on the back of it.

The pass-through mount probably wouldn't be the best for me as that'll likely add more tongue weight to the van, and I'm already pretty much at the limit of what it can be (I'm thinking the leverage would make things worse).

J-hop
08-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Abeo

I've seen people mount bike racks on the top of tent trailers,

+1, we did this on our tent trailer, bikes end up sitting around the height of our truck, and even though they have to drill through the roof to mount them we haven't ever had a leak (been about 10 years)