PDA

View Full Version : Why is premium gas more expensive @ Esso?

2Legit2Quit
08-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Gas went down to $1.08 here in town, premium at a Centex is $1.16 I believe but at Esso next door (where I usually gas up for Aeroplan points) it's $1.21ish I think I paid today, so about 5 cents more. Whyyyyyyyyy?

heavyD
08-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Because Esso 91 has Tiger Blood in it.

2Legit2Quit
08-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Ahhh it all makes sense now.

Mods please close thread.

93VR6
08-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Centex always has cheaper gas then the usual brands, shell esso petro can, especially on Wednesdays and Saturdays they have some sort of deal that makes it cheaper.

J-hop
08-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Agreed centex always seems cheaper. On a related note does esso blend their premium? I hate running that garbage gas in my car and last time I stopped at an esso the Attendant somehow didn't know wether their premium was blended or not(small town in BC).

Heru-Farukon
08-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Because Esso 91 has Tiger Blood in it. :werd: no doubt about it

chkolny541
08-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Because Esso 91 has Tiger Blood in it.

Robnaldo
08-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
Agreed centex always seems cheaper. On a related note does esso blend their premium? I hate running that garbage gas in my car and last time I stopped at an esso the Attendant somehow didn't know wether their premium was blended or not(small town in BC).

I don't understand why you expected an Attendant to know this.

I worked at Esso back in the day and I still don't know this answer.

J-hop
08-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Robnaldo

I don't understand why you expected an Attendant to know this.

I worked at Esso back in the day and I still don't know this answer.

seriously...... you don't think an attendant should know something like that? its called working retail, you know what you sell... when I worked retail at canadian tire I had several hundred product codes memorized by the end of it. A gas station attendant basically has 5 products they sell, regular, mid grade, premium, diesel and propane. Not a giant feat to know something as simple as if the gasolines are blended or if the diesel contains bio.... That is data EVERY attendant will have access to because every customer has the right to know (i believe some vehicle manufacturers even specifically say NOT to run blended fuel in their cars), it is crap gas, not everyone wants to run it in their cars.

in fact at most gas stations it is written right on the pump, this one just happened to have no information on the pumps so I couldn't figure it out myself and I know the regular esso is blended for sure so I didn't want to risk it.

2Legit2Quit
08-10-2011, 08:46 PM
I noticed today at Esso there was a sticker saying that the gas could contain up to 10% Ethanol

Isaiah
08-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

seriously...... you don't think an attendant should know something like that? its called working retail, you know what you sell...
No. It's called 'get minimum, give minimum'

J-hop
08-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

haha, yea I agree but still that is like someone working at an ice cream shop and not knowing that the ice cream contains milk products....

BensonTT
08-11-2011, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by 2Legit2Quit
I noticed today at Esso there was a sticker saying that the gas could contain up to 10% Ethanol

u sure this is esso? not a husky or petro?

RNB11
08-11-2011, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah

:werd:

Maybelater
08-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Tiger blood? Pft Tigers are slow and bulky.

What you really need is Shell 91, it has cheetah blood in it. :burnout:

2Legit2Quit
08-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by BensonTT

u sure this is esso? not a husky or petro?
Yep @ my usual Esso, I'll snag a pic next time

BananaFob
08-11-2011, 09:58 PM
All gasoline in Alberta has at least 5% ethanol.

http://www.energy.alberta.ca/BioEnergy/1516.asp

'93 SR-V
08-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by BananaFob
All gasoline in Alberta has at least 5% ethanol.

http://www.energy.alberta.ca/BioEnergy/1516.asp

That page mentions an average of 5%, I think oil companies can still sell unblended premium so long as they average 5% (e.g., selling regular grade gas with up to 10% ethanol blended into it to make up for the lack of ethanol in the premium grade gas).

2Legit2Quit
08-12-2011, 07:17 AM
Where be the best place to buy gas then? for unblended then that is

npham
08-12-2011, 08:19 AM
Husky 94 is great, but you won't get any extra mileage out of using it. The people that complain they don't like it, are the ones driving cars which don't benefit from the higher octane rating.

TE4MFaint
08-12-2011, 09:24 AM
Husky 94 is terrible.
Shell 91 V-Power has always run best in all of my turbo vehicles.

heavyD
08-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by TE4MFaint
Husky 94 is terrible.
Shell 91 V-Power has always run best in all of my turbo vehicles.

Husky 94 isn't great gasoline but if your turbocharged car is tuned and running higher than stock boost levels it's safer to use than 91 octane. My EVO X didn't have any problems running it but if your car is stock there's no reason to use it.

J-hop
08-12-2011, 12:43 PM

Husky 94 isn't great gasoline but if your turbocharged car is tuned and running higher than stock boost levels it's safer to use than 91 octane. My EVO X didn't have any problems running it but if your car is stock there's no reason to use it.

A lot of that has to do with people not understanding the efficiency range of their turbos (and fuel systems). As I've mentioned before so many inexperienced tuners just get chips or crank up the boost on these small turbos effectively creating oversized hairdryers pumping out huge amounts heat requiring them to run higher octane to prevent detonation. It's not really a fuel issue at that point, its people trying to cut corners and go fast for cheap.

From my experience the worst perpetrators are sti, Evo and 1.8t owners.