PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have a "fear" of careers?

bitteeinbit
08-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Or rather I should say, a fear of commitment. I'm almost 26 and have started to realize I have a sort of fear of commitment when it comes to jobs.

My current job path so far has been this:

-Various student jobs while in high school
-Went to Germany as an exchange student
-Did a year of uni, dropped out to go to Afghanistan with the military (3 years/7 total in the military)
-Spent a year travelling/working abroad
-Worked the rigs this summer
-Now back in school with one year to go

My old dream was to work for CSIS or Foreign Affairs. But I've now come to the realization that I have a fear of commitment. Not only in my romantic relationships (but that's another story) but mostly in life in general. If I start work at DEFAIT/CSIS or FA, I'm sure I would like it but then quickly get tied down somewhere and find I'll be "tied up". I know people switch careers all the time nowadays, but I still find it weird. Many of my friends have long graduated and have steady jobs or have married already.

I've done a lot of living: spent 3 years of my life living in foreign countries, speak 6 languages (4 fluently, 2 passable) and have lived experiences few others get to live. But at the end of the line I find myself stuck in a rut. If I don't get a career relatively soon, as in after graduating, I'll always be "behind" in life (pay, benefits, wife/kids etc). But if I do get one, I'll feel like I'm trapped. I've always been a freebird of sorts but I'm realizing there are also some drawbacks which aren't felt now but will be down the road.

So I'm just wondering if others feel the same way about settling down. We each have different views on life, work and all, but I've been wondering about this lately so I just wanted to throw this out there and see the responses. If it sounds like I'm overly worried, I'm not really, I've just been pondering about this lately.

max_boost
08-11-2011, 11:23 AM
wNYHoI47fw0

What's your major?

revelations
08-11-2011, 01:01 PM
OP sounds like you want to be a contractor of some sorts.... non committal except for the short term.

If you had mad skills at something, look to start your own business potentially.

I'm kind of the same way. I cant be stuck in an office - which precluded me from becoming an engineer - (even though I have 5 years post secondary). I'd rather make less and have a job where I can use my hands and brains. Longest job I have held is over three years, and thats with me looking elsewhere all the time for work.... for the next bigger, better thing.

ExtraSlow
08-11-2011, 02:38 PM
All I can say is that you can't fight your nature. If you end up taking a career because you think you "should" it will end badly.

you have to do something you love, or at least like. If that thing is "something different every year" then it's crazy for you to try to get a traditional career.

max_boost
08-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Taking money out of the equation, assuming you have your necessities taken care of, you are driven by autonomy, mastery and purpose. Do what you love and pursue your happiness.

510-Trevor
08-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Don't let an irrational fear of commitment keep you from moving forward in life. This opportunity may not be available to you ever again.

swak
08-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Im the exact same way, except im still in school at the moment (1 more year of University). When i graduate, as i sit now, i know i wont be ready for settling into a career....
We'll see when the time comes... But yea, its a scary thought.

However, i have a PT job at the moment that i love, and if i made enough to make it a career, i wouldn't leave.

bitteeinbit
08-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Good replies... I've also looked into starting my own business or getting into real estate. i guess time will tell. I definitely won't let an opportunity slip but also won't let myself be unhappy for a prolonged period of time.

Rat Fink
08-12-2011, 06:25 PM

revelations
08-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
Do what YOU want to do, and forget about what other people want you to do. You don't need to have a house or a fancy car. If it would make you happy to have those things, then go for it. If you are going for that shit because you think you should based on some society norm then fuck that!!

You have something that many other people do not have. You took chances in life. You saw the world. You rose above what other people are even capable of. You prove you can adapt to changing situations. Some people get themselves in some rut by the time they are 18, married at 19, kids at 20, tied down with a house and bills out their ass by 22.....do you honestly think they are any happier than you? Do you think they have more life experience than you by being pigeon holed into one corner of life? You traded a debt load for life experience, now let that life experience work for you!!

:werd: Well said !!

CUG
08-16-2011, 10:53 AM
You sound like you need to be in the business of whatever you want to do, rather than committing to any particular thing. Nothing will make you feel like a failure like suitcasing it across multiple industries with no long-term work.

I don't commit to much either. I'm in school now for a degree I know that I will 110% NEVER be employed for. I just want access to grad schools.

ZorroAMG
08-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Taking money out of the equation, assuming you have your necessities taken care of, you are driven by autonomy, mastery and purpose. Do what you love and pursue your happiness.

^this....and am.