PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Over Seas Textbooks

hamburgler
08-11-2011, 01:25 PM
There is a website a friend of mine ordered textbooks off of a few years ago that were from China or some place. Anyways, they were a photo copy that was bound and also super cheap. Does anyone know that site? It was the exact textbook but just in black and white double sided. If you have heard of it let me know.

realazy
08-11-2011, 03:08 PM
I know on Ebay you can buy international editions of textbooks for less than half the price of them here.

They are usually soft cover but other than that the content is exactly the same.

I bought a whole year's worth of books when I was in Hong Kong one time and easily saved $500+.

bjstare
08-13-2011, 09:46 AM
I bought the books for almost my whole engineering degree from china/india.

Ebay is always a good bet, as well as abebooks.com

Definitely worth it if you can deal with rice-paper pages and lower print quality. Saved me hundreds of dollars.

WithTheLightsOn
08-13-2011, 01:45 PM
+1 for eBay. 50+ % off the regular price, for the same content and a softcover instead of a hardcover.

PeterGTiR
08-14-2011, 10:45 AM
I was looking around and I found this:

http://www.collegexpres.com/

The Principles of Auditing and Assurance Services is $200 on Amazon and only $84 on the College Xpres website.

se7en
08-14-2011, 12:49 PM
all this seems SUPER legit and legal....I wonder what the legal issues one could end up with if they ever took copyright infringements seriously....On that note, Sweet deal.

riander5
08-14-2011, 12:58 PM
abebooks.com

Good search engine and usually 75% off at least from bookstore

kamakurakid
08-14-2011, 01:58 PM
This shows just how outdated the university bookstores have become, they ought to rent out the textbook area to a decent cafe or record shop. If a few of your friends get in on the order, shipping fees per book are lowered as well. Pick up in Montana if that saves a few bob.

realazy
08-14-2011, 02:14 PM
There's really no copyright issue with the international editions I was talking about. It's still from the same publisher but marked for international markets only. Shows how much they rip us off in first world countries.

riander5
08-14-2011, 02:51 PM
How the copyright part works is that the books are only to be sold in the 3rd (ish) world countries. So people order or buy them from 3rd world countries and ship here. Perfectly legal and money saving thanks to international shipping.

bjstare
08-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Yep. Most of my books were marked "SIE" (Special Indian Edition) :)

Xtrema
08-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by se7en
all this seems SUPER legit and legal....I wonder what the legal issues one could end up with if they ever took copyright infringements seriously....On that note, Sweet deal.

The publisher can't stop this and it's totally legal. This is how most student get books going back a decade as far as I know.

If publisher doesn't want international edition to flow back, they can deal with their distributor and individual book stores which will never happens.

WithTheLightsOn
08-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Sidenote: I think it's bullshit that the UofC bookstore is waiting until the 19th to put up the book list for fall. I'm sure they ordered the books months ago, so they're probably just holding onto the list so that we have less time to buy them from other places. :thumbsdow