PDA

View Full Version : Man Steals Truck, Gets Just Deserts

Pages : [1] 2

Abeo
08-11-2011, 02:14 PM
http://www.qr77.com/News/Local/Story.aspx?ID=1516734

Calgary Police Chief, Rick Hanson is defending the actions of a police officer who shot dead a stolen truck suspect early Thursday morning. The Chief released details of what led to the shooting at a news conference Thursday afternoon. Hanson says a patrol officer ran the plates of a truck that was being driven erratically and the truck turned out to be stolen. Under surveillance and not a pursuit, a spike belt was used. The man and woman in the truck got out of the vehicle and got into another stolen truck being driven by an acquaintance. The two eventually got out in Whitehorn and fled between two houses into the back yard of a home. The man confronted a tactical team officer with verbal threats and a weapon. The officer shot several times. Hanson says in the end the weapon turned out to be a screwdriver, dangerous in it's own right and very difficult to see in the dark. He says the people involved were all known to police.

So we are shooting dirtbag car thieves now? :D:D:D:D
CPS has my support!

l/l/rX
08-11-2011, 02:19 PM
I DEMAND JUSTICE!!!!! RIOT!!!! he was a good guy!!!!!

syritis
08-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Good to Hear the CPS has a pair, he has my support

BrknFngrs
08-11-2011, 02:32 PM
:thumbsup: Nice to have a heart warming story in the news for a change.

dj_rice
08-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Shoot first, ask question later :thumbsup:

Davex
08-11-2011, 02:43 PM
32nd ave has been taped off since 1am last night. Still taped off :/

Modelexis
08-11-2011, 02:54 PM
The death penalty without a judge or jury for allegedly stealing a truck is pretty harsh.

colinxx235
08-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis
The death penalty without a judge or jury for stealing a truck is pretty harsh.

You are just... :facepalm:

JfuckinC
08-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
I DEMAND JUSTICE!!!!! RIOT!!!! he was a good guy!!!!!

i could use a new computer and some other shit? let's give'r.....

Nels
08-11-2011, 02:58 PM
The death penalty without a judge or jury for allegedly stealing a truck is pretty harsh.

Yeah, agreed.

BrknFngrs
08-11-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by Nels
Yeah, agreed.

You guys think he was shot for stealing the truck? Did you read the article?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he was shot for getting into an altercation (with a weapon) with the tac team officer....

Abeo
08-11-2011, 03:05 PM

He didn't choose to stand in front of a judge and jury, he chose to stand in front of an armed officer with a weapon.

You make your choices, then you live (or die) with them.

masoncgy
08-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Abeo

He didn't choose to stand in front of a judge and jury, he chose to stand in front of an armed officer with a weapon.

You make your choices, then you live (or die) with them.

:werd:

No one's fault but the perpetrator. We are better off with one less scumbag on the streets.

ZMan2k2
08-11-2011, 03:10 PM
I'm okay with it. I actually feel for the Tac officer. He's going to second guess himself for a while, I would think.

HiTempguy1
08-11-2011, 03:18 PM
allegedly stealing a truck is pretty harsh.

There is no alleged about it, it DID happen. Just because a judge hasn't debated on it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. :facepalm:

PD77
08-11-2011, 03:20 PM
I am just glad the officer chose to shoot the suspect instead of spanking him...that guy would have had serious emotional trauma had that of happened.

Whew!

bspot
08-11-2011, 03:32 PM

Yeah, there's a reason you don't make threats of violence to people with a semi-auto barrel pointed at your guts.

I too feel bad for the officer. Killing someone is something I'm sure you wish you never have to do on the job.

calgarydub
08-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Were several shots needed for a screwdriver?

Why shoot to kill?

Khyron
08-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by calgarydub
Were several shots needed for a screwdriver?

Why shoot to kill?

There is no "shoot to maim" protocol. Did you think the cop would shoot the screwdriver out of his hand like in the movies?

oupzwrongthread
08-11-2011, 03:43 PM
I don't really disagree with the officers decision, but don't we have tasers for this type of situation?

02WhiteWs6
08-11-2011, 03:43 PM
finally! :thumbsup:

zipdoa
08-11-2011, 03:44 PM
If you don't want to get fucked up, give yourself up. How is there anything to debate here?

Modelexis
08-11-2011, 03:53 PM
I wonder if anyone in this thread would give credit to the possibility that the dead person in question might have been mentally unhinged?

It would be hard I think to argue that someone that threatens an assault team with a screw driver is mentally stable.

This is part of the reason why I suggest everyone deserves a day in court.

JustGo
08-11-2011, 03:53 PM
A little reading comprehension goes a long way. 'The weapon turned out to be a screw driver'. For the morons out there who don't get that, it was not known at the time that it was a screwdriver. It was dark, and I guarantee buddy didn't yell, 'this is a screw driver!'. He probably pointed it at a well armed and skilled officer. His own dumb idea.

JustGo
08-11-2011, 03:56 PM
I wonder if anyone in this thread would give credit to the possibility that the dead person in question might have been mentally unhinged?

It would be hard I think to argue that someone that threatens an assault team with a screw driver is mentally stable.

This is part of the reason why I suggest everyone deserves a day in court. Okay, so when your mom gets robbed and raped while being threatened with a screw driver, that guy deserves his day in court right? He's obviously mentally unstable so that makes it ok.

HiTempguy1
08-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by oupzwrongthread
I don't really disagree with the officers decision, but don't we have tasers for this type of situation?

Don't taze me bro!

Modelexis
08-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by JustGo
Okay, so when your mom gets robbed and raped while being threatened with a screw driver, that guy deserves his day in court right? He's obviously mentally unstable so that makes it ok.

Did anyone get raped in this situation?

JC522
08-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Actually this guy sped past me last night. I was heading west bound on 16th and i see this truck exiting off barlow onto 16th and i didn't think anything of it until I saw the sparks coming from his front left tire and he was speeding and putting on a crazy light show from his sparks. I was behind him for a little bit till we got to the 16th ave and 19th st lights where he ran the red and switched to the opposite side of the road. He was heading west bound on the east bound lanes and that was the last i saw of him until 4 cop suvs drove past me without their sirens on as I was still at the light.

Super_Geo
08-11-2011, 04:09 PM

Right, some mentally handicapped guy stole a truck and then when he found out the cops were after him he called his mentally handicapped friend who had also stolen a truck to come get him. This is obviously the most likely scenario.

Glad he's gone. Sorry to say, but life ain't precious, there are way too many fucking people on the planet and not enough resources. I definitely won't shed a tear for some degenerate leaving the game early. As a bonus: no tax dollars will be wasted putting him through the penal and/or medical system.

taemo
08-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

i could use a new computer and some other shit? let's give'r.....

can we riot in front of a Futureshop or Best Buy?

JustGo
08-11-2011, 04:14 PM

Did anyone get raped in this situation? Why does that matter, in your exact words, 'I suggest everyone deserves a day in court.'

You did say EVERYONE. You did not specify violent crime or property crime. You can't make a horse shit statement about everyone having the right to trial, then backpedal when you or a loved one is the victim of the crime. This is why you have no legs to stand on when you start spewing your left wing garbage. Because you live in a land of make believe, and will continue to do so until YOU are a victim. See how that changed things for you? Not so keen on seeing a fair day in court when you're the victim, huh?

Modelexis
08-11-2011, 04:20 PM
U mad?

calgarydub
08-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

There is no "shoot to maim" protocol. Did you think the cop would shoot the screwdriver out of his hand like in the movies?

All I was asking if several shots were necessary, no need to be smarmy.

It's his own fault for taking a screwdriver against OFFICERS OF THE LAW! but I like to look at BOTH sides of the story.

However, I don't like to see police take on the role of Judge Dredd, either.

HyperZell
08-11-2011, 04:25 PM
U mad?

U dumb?

HyperZell
08-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by PD77
I am just glad the officer chose to shoot the suspect instead of spanking him...that guy would have had serious emotional trauma had that of happened.

Whew!

Me gusta.

Kona9
08-11-2011, 04:26 PM
A little reading comprehension goes a long way. 'The weapon turned out to be a screw driver'. For the morons out there who don't get that, it was not known at the time that it was a screwdriver. It was dark, and I guarantee buddy didn't yell, 'this is a screw driver!'. He probably pointed it at a well armed and skilled officer. His own dumb idea.

Originally posted by Super_Geo

Right, some mentally handicapped guy stole a truck and then when he found out the cops were after him he called his mentally handicapped friend who had also stolen a truck to come get him. This is obviously the most likely scenario.

Glad he's gone. Sorry to say, but life ain't precious, there are way too many fucking people on the planet and not enough resources. I definitely won't shed a tear for some degenerate leaving the game early. As a bonus: no tax dollars will be wasted putting him through the penal and/or medical system.

Why does that matter, in your exact words, 'I suggest everyone deserves a day in court.'

You did say EVERYONE. You did not specify violent crime or property crime. You can't make a horse shit statement about everyone having the right to trial, then backpedal when you or a loved one is the victim of the crime. This is why you have no legs to stand on when you start spewing your left wing garbage. Because you live in a land of make believe, and will continue to do so until YOU are a victim. See how that changed things for you? Not so keen on seeing a fair day in court when you're the victim, huh?

:clap: :clap:

mazdavirgin
08-11-2011, 04:29 PM
:facepalm: Fine work by the CPS shooting a man with a screw driver. Those boys in blue sure can handle themselves. :rofl: Next time they are going to shoot a senile grandmother when she has a cane in her hands. Bullies with guns that pretty much defines the CPS.

JustGo
08-11-2011, 04:30 PM
U mad? Actually I'm quite happy. Happy that between the 2 of us, I'm not the one making an ass of myself on a daily basis on this forum. You talk a big game, but you are proving to be more useless every day. You live in a giant contradiction and can't see the forest for the trees. I think it's actually hilarious to see someone who acts so pretentious, have absolutely no grasp of reality. It's awesome. Good for you, bud.

bmeier
08-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by oupzwrongthread

they only use a taser on unarmed people.

jokes aside, if you come at an officer in the dark swinging something that looks like a weapon its your own fault if he shoots you.

CapnCrunch
08-11-2011, 04:44 PM
He got what he deserved. He committed a crime, then threatened the life of a police officer. Case closed.

v2kai
08-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

amen

Modelexis
08-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Where did I say the phrase 'mentally handicapped'?

Mentally unhinged could mean a number of things from mildly crazy, to somewhat crazy, or insane or not stable, but it certainly doesn't mean he is mentally retarded and has lost function of his brain.

Justgo, last I checked, the punishment for rape was not the death penalty either.
Obviously the victim will have a different emotional state than those who are paid to bring people to justice and look at the evidence.

That's why if I shot someone that I believed to have raped my mother I would be punished in some way. That's why we have courts, so a ruling can be made based on the evidence, not based on emotional knee jerk reactions.

They made a mistake about the weapon in question, this is proof that police are not always 100% correct in their judgement.

Could we please leave the charged emotions out of this discussion and just take a deep breath and speak to each other like adults?

I have clearly offended a large number of you, but could you please PM me to take out your personal anger towards me rather than attack me in every thread I post in?

mazdavirgin made a loaded set of comments in this thread and no one feels like attacking his comments, but I put forward a personal opinion on the issue and I get attacked.

Mar
08-11-2011, 05:43 PM
I hope it's the same stupid ass motherfucker that tried to stab me with a screwdriver after I caught him trying to steal my car. Post the name here when it gets released, I want to know if it's the same asshole. I'll dance a fucking jig.

JustGo
08-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Where did I say the phrase 'mentally handicapped'?

Mentally unhinged could mean a number of things from mildly crazy, to somewhat crazy, or insane or not stable, but it certainly doesn't mean he is mentally retarded and has lost function of his brain.

Justgo, last I checked, the punishment for rape was not the death penalty either.
Obviously the victim will have a different emotional state than those who are paid to bring people to justice and look at the evidence.

That's why if I shot someone that I believed to have raped my mother I would be punished in some way. That's why we have courts, so a ruling can be made based on the evidence, not based on emotional knee jerk reactions.

They made a mistake about the weapon in question, this is proof that police are not always 100% correct in their judgement.

Could we please leave the charged emotions out of this discussion and just take a deep breath and speak to each other like adults?

I have clearly offended a large number of you, but could you please PM me to take out your personal anger towards me rather than attack me in every thread I post in?

mazdavirgin made a loaded set of comments in this thread and no one feels like attacking his comments, but I put forward a personal opinion on the issue and I get attacked.

Here is the difference- you articulate yourself quite well, however, you don't live in reality. You live in a book. If it's dark out, and someone points an object at me and says something along the lines of, 'I'll kill you'... I'm not going to wait for the flash and the bang to find out if it's a gun or a screwdriver. The guy obviously said or did something to indicate it was something OTHER than a screwdriver.

In a perfect world, you could rationalize with everyone, and all problems would be solved with words. This is not a perfect world, and there are some problems that can't be solved with mere words. It's reality. This is one of those scenarios.

Playing by the book, and being as black/white as you are on these issues is all fine and good, but you also have to realize there are a million grey areas, and until you put yourself in someone else's shoes, you won't come even close to understanding that.

You pretend you're the police officer. You have a guy that's just put hundreds of people's lives in danger driving recklessly in a stolen vehicle. He get's out and runs away from you. He runs between 2 houses, homes to completely innocent people. You catch up to him, he turns around with something in his hand and points it at you.

What do you do?

You've had about 12 hours to think about this now, that officer had less than a second. Remember, at this point, you don't know it's a screwdriver. You just see him pointing something at you, and he's yelling threats.

You are leading us all to believe you would simply talk to the guy. Tell him everything is going to be alright. Tell him he has so much to live for. Ask him nicely to put the object down. Tell him he'll have lots of time to form a suitable defense to the allegations he's facing.

Then you can hop on a unicorn, ride over the rainbow to the pot of gold and have dinner with your buddy the leprechaun. Because had that been a gun, you'd be dead 10 times over by then. Are you going to take that risk? Are you willing to never see your family again because it 'MIGHT' just be a screwdriver?

Abeo
08-11-2011, 06:07 PM
^^^ I have a better one:

Modelexis: I'll give you a gun, and I'll have a screwdriver. I'll start stabbing you with a screw driver, how many times do I need to stab before you fire the gun? Would you let me stab you just once?

Mar
08-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Guys, you're both right.

retard = "If the cop knew it was a screwdriver, he doesn't have the right to decide the guy should die."
This is correct.

cop guy = "The cop didn't know it was a screwdriver and didn't take chances."
This is correct.

I'm pretty sure we all agree on this.

Abeo
08-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Mar
I hope it's the same stupid ass motherfucker that tried to stab me with a screwdriver after I caught him trying to steal my car. Post the name here when it gets released, I want to know if it's the same asshole. I'll dance a fucking jig.

http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20110811/430_police_shooting2_110811.jpg

Jonathon Rawlings was no stranger to police and was recently arrested on a Canada-wide warrant for drug and weapons offences.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110811/CGY_asirt_shooting_110811/20110811/?hub=CalgaryHome

edit: I know the source, but check out the guy's history:

http://www.calgarybeacon.com/2011/03/search-warrant-of-n-e-home-yields-drugs-weapons-and-stolen-property/
http://www.calgarybeacon.com/2010/09/four-people-arrested-for-weapon-and-drug-charges/

A total of 16 charges have been laid against four people by the Calgary Police Service following an operation in the southeast quadrant of the city. Several weapons and a variety of drugs were also seized in the bust that happened on Friday. A man wanted on an outstanding Canada-wide warrant was arrested by the Drug Unit. The arrest took place at 52 Street and Erin Woods Drive S.E. There was a subsequent search of two vehicles associated with the suspect and as a result, police seized drugs and weapons. 45.2 grams of methamphetamine, 99 tablets of morphine, a Ruger Mark II rifle with scope, a Conducted Energy Device, a police light dome, knives, bolt cutters a ski mask and bear spray were confiscated. Officers then conducted a Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA) search warrant at an address in the 1700 block of 66 Avenue S.E. and seized approximately 500 rounds of ammunition, 115 morphine tablets, a machete and a collection of knives and swords. Jonathan Rawlings age 35, of Calgary, has been charged with unauthorized possession of a firearm, possession of firearm contrary to prohibition, possession of a dangerous weapon, breach of recognizance, possession of marijuana, possession of property obtained by crime, unsafe storage of a firearm, possession of break and enter instruments, possession of a weapon or prohibited device and two counts of possession for the purpose of trafficking. There were three other people arrested at the home and were subsequently charged in connection with this case.
The recovery of a stolen cube van early Thursday morning and the arrest of three suspects led police to obtain a search warrant for a northeast home where investigators discovered drugs, weapons and stolen property. In the early morning hours police responded to a report of a stolen cube van in the Panorama area of northwest Calgary. The van was located abandoned in the Coventry area. Investigation led officers to a house on Covecreek Close N.E. where three persons were arrested. Observations made by the first responders led to the subsequent execution of a search warrant at the residence. Police seized two shotguns, a handgun, three replica handguns, ammunition, two pairs of brass knuckles, a small quantity of drugs, and numerous articles of stolen property. Ryan Witvoet, 27, and Jori Davis, 30, both of Calgary are charged with numerous Criminal offences including: three counts of Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm; three counts of Possession of a Prohibited Weapon; three counts of Unsafe Storage of a Firearm. Jonathan Rawlings, 36, of Calgary is charged with: Theft Over $5000, Breach of Recognizance, and Driving While Unauthorized.

BrknFngrs
08-11-2011, 06:18 PM

I agree that the individual could have been "mentally unhinged" but the point is irrelevant.

Unless you can show some sort of evidence that proves that a mentally unhinged individual is incapable of using a screwdriver (or anything else for that matter) to injure or kill another person then mental state doesn't have any bearing on the actions during the conflict.

masoncgy
08-11-2011, 06:19 PM
:facepalm: Duck face.

http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20110811/430_police_shooting2_110811.jpg

Mar
08-11-2011, 06:20 PM

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110811/CGY_asirt_shooting_110811/20110811/?hub=CalgaryHome

Different guy.

DonJuan
08-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Coked up jackass steals truck, runs over spike belt, after disobeying a police officer with gun drawn, runs into other truck, continues running from police, bails out hides in back yard, finds screwdriver, attacks armed officer with said weapon at night time, took multiple shots to stop coked up jackass.

What is the problem here? He made his decision to avoid a judge when he ran from the cops. He took his life in his own hands when he came at a cop with a weapon.

Moving on... Look at all that rain outside! If I go out without an umbrella Im gonna get wet.

MGCM
08-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by bmeier

they only use a taser on unarmed people.

jokes aside, if you come at an officer in the dark swinging something that looks like a weapon its your own fault if he shoots you.

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER WINNER!!!!!!

Rat Fink
08-11-2011, 07:20 PM

Sugarphreak
08-11-2011, 08:09 PM

z24_wheels
08-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Mentally unhinged or completely coherent, that doesn't make the weapon any less dangerous. Cop did the right thing.

nismodrifter
08-11-2011, 08:43 PM
brb rioting

npham
08-11-2011, 09:19 PM
This thread is awesome.

25% Want to riot.
74% Agree and the "alleged" thief got what he deserved.
1% Pulls the retard card.

100% Think Modelexis is either trying to de-throne ZenOps or is really that stupid.

hampstor
08-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Modelexis, you've referred to the 'death penalty' a few times now with respect to this shooting. There is an implied bias as the death penalty has the implication of death as a planned, intended punishment for an offense.

Are your comments intended to be biased towards the belief the officer went into this with the intent of shooting him?

ixlr8
08-11-2011, 10:41 PM
I'm an idealist, I think a police officer should be willing to lay down his life in an effort to save everyone else, including the bad guy if at all possible.

To attack based on threat alone is cowardly; a brave man attacks only when attacked. A truly courageous man is always the most vulnerable, as fear of death is no longer his root of action.

For those that would posit that I am just talking philosophical nonsense. Yes, I would love to be in their shoes and have the opportunity to back up such idealism with my own life; sadly I prefer the plant to alcohol and that irrationally precludes me.

That being said, we are imperfect beings in an imperfect world; things didn't turn out like they should have, what else is new?

JustGo
08-11-2011, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by ixlr8
I'm an idealist, I think a police officer should be willing to lay down his life in an effort to save everyone else, including the bad guy if at all possible.

To attack based on threat alone is cowardly; a brave man attacks only when attacked. A truly courageous man is always the most vulnerable, as fear of death is no longer his root of action.

For those that would posit that I am just talking philosophical nonsense. Yes, I would love to be in their shoes and have the opportunity to back up such idealism with my own life; sadly I prefer the plant to alcohol and that irrationally precludes me.

That being said, we are imperfect beings in an imperfect world; things didn't turn out like they should have, what else is new?
Just to clarify, you're an idealist, right? And your version of 'ideal' is a world full of dead cops and living criminals?

Good luck with that.

dirtsniffer
08-11-2011, 11:28 PM
lol, modelexus has left the thread. dude obviously got what he deserved.

Suspect with previous weapons charges will obviously be considered armed and dangerous while trying to elude police. so police are going to have weapons drawn for sure.a tac member (big clue as to what type of guy being dealt with) isn't going to say' oh, it looks like you only have a knife. let me put my gun down and pull out a taser.'
do tac members even carry tasers?

FraserB
08-11-2011, 11:33 PM
If you're going to threaten an armed officer who has just been chasing your dumb ass over half the city in a stolen truck, you have to realize the only possible outcome is that you are going to be the new owner of a bullet.

The officer reacted in a way that was protecting his life and that of his fellow officers. It is no ones fault but the criminal's that he picked up a weapon and threatened the officer. I feel for the officer, he has to cope with the fact he shot and killed someone who might not have been a deadly threat. But in the long run, people will realize that he did everyone a favor by saving the courts time and our tax dollars.

FraserB
08-11-2011, 11:35 PM
The few tac team officers I have seen have had tasers. Maybe just a few carry them.

But in a potentially deadly confrontation a taser probably isnt the best tool. It is possible that the suspect will not be stopped by the first jolt.

Mar
08-11-2011, 11:58 PM

CPS would have a 100% turnover rate every couple of months. They'd all be dead.

ixlr8
08-12-2011, 12:11 AM

Just to clarify, you're an idealist, right? And your version of 'ideal' is a world full of dead cops and living criminals?

Good luck with that.

I don't know if that was just another anthropomorphic pile of hay, or if your are just genuinely failing to grasp the depth what I said.

Police officers should be held to the highest of possible standards, they are the protectors of the innocent. This, the highest conception of this specific division of labor, dictates that they must truly value the lives of the innocent more than their own; this includes all "criminals" who have yet to be tried, as specified in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Specifically, this means extreme efforts to protect the "criminals" and deliver them to an independent and impartial tribunal. I don't believe that happened today.

AND... I am willing to put my life where my words are.

BUT... It doesn't really matter because shit happens.

Help to clarify? Or you didn't really give a shit and were simply upset someone sees the world differently than yourself?

I'll assume the latter, it is Beyond after all.

dirtsniffer
08-12-2011, 12:24 AM
so the officer doesnt have the right to defend himself from a known criminal with a weapons history. give your head a shake :nut:

ixlr8
08-12-2011, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Mar

CPS would have a 100% turnover rate every couple of months. They'd all be dead.

If that is what you inferred from what I wrote, perhaps I truly am throwing pearls to the proverbial pork.

Sorry, I apologize, continue on...

Where were we?

Beer, fucking bitches, explosions, motor oil, red meat, status symbols and so on and so forth...

ixlr8
08-12-2011, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
so the officer doesnt have the right to defend himself from a known criminal with a weapons history. give your head a shake :nut:

See above, many apologies, I don't know WHAT came over me.

Back the Blue, Support the Troops, I love Alberta beef, Go Flames Go!

spikerS
08-12-2011, 06:50 AM

See above, many apologies, I don't know WHAT came over me.

Back the Blue, Support the Troops, I love Alberta beef, Go Flames Go!

I hoped to avoid such a cliche statement, but alas it has been forced from me.

ixlr8, if you can't back the police and troops that keep you safe and protect your rights and freedoms, I encourage you to put your money where your philosophical mouth is, and stand in front of them.

and my opinion on the CPS shooting this guy? Good riddance to bad rubbish.

cancer man
08-12-2011, 07:27 AM
If they would've shot and maimed this guy or paralyzed him
think of the money involved..They can now hire another 20 CPS
with the money saved.

frizzlefry
08-12-2011, 08:28 AM
If you confront the police and threaten them you kinda deserve what you get. However, I do have one problem with what happened. If a guy broke into my home and confronted me with a screwdriver, I am pretty sure I would get charged if I blew his brains out.

dharminder
08-12-2011, 08:42 AM
-You’re chasing a guy for over an hour in a stolen truck
-Jumps out and runs shows this guy had no intentions of going back to jail or being arrested.
-Even if no words are exchanged between him and the officer he pulls out something metal cop is not going to sit around and wait to see if it’s a gun or screwdriver.

Good on the cop to put this guy down one less person have to worry about stealing your vehicle.

I could be wrong but cops are not trained to shoot to disarm a suspect but shoot to kill if forced into a situation of this nature.

Just my two cents

Mibz
08-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Almost two full-length pages and nobody brought up the fail in the title. *tear*
I'm so proud of you Beyond.

Abeo
08-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Almost two full-length pages and nobody brought up the fail in the title. *tear*
I'm so proud of you Beyond.

To which fail do you refer to?

-relk-
08-12-2011, 08:58 AM

Deserts instead of desserts :rofl:

People saying it was just a screwdriver... A screwdriver is just as deadly as a knife imo. As the police chief said in an article I read this morning "A screwdriver will kill you just as fast as a knife". Officer did the right thing and those that disagree, well maybe you should get your head checked. Or perhaps go apply for the CPS and see how well you handle a situation like that.

One more dirtbag off the street, no complaints here.

hampstor
08-12-2011, 08:59 AM

Deserts
Desserts

:nut:

Abeo
08-12-2011, 09:05 AM
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/just_deserts

:P

The spelling just desserts is commonly seen but is incorrect.

Mibz
08-12-2011, 09:09 AM

Oxford confirms. My life has been a lie. Thank you for not being a dick about it :P

-relk-
08-12-2011, 09:10 AM

Hmmm never would have thought that :banghead:

sputnik
08-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by -relk-

Deserts instead of desserts :rofl:

When I first saw the thread I thought it was a cheeky title about someone that stole a cake truck.

Sugarphreak
08-12-2011, 09:15 AM

Mibz
08-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Fuck, now i've derailed this thread.

Abeo
08-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Fuck, now i've derailed this thread.

I'm just happy it didn't die on the first page

HyperZell
08-12-2011, 09:44 AM
The first time I read the thread title my mind inserted "ice cream" in front of truck. I was confused for a moment when I read the story.

ixlr8
08-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by spikers

ixlr8, if you can't back the police and troops that keep you safe and protect your rights and freedoms, I encourage you to put your money where your philosophical mouth is, and stand in front of them.

Goddamn there is some comprehension issues in this thread.

The last list of common sayings was a tongue in cheek commentary on automatonic behavior in general, rebuking the conception of sacred cows.

Because I don't agree with some specific actions or lack of actions, and I have my own opinions on what their role should be, I should "stand in front of them"?

Well that sounds completely reasonable. A fine point sir, you've convinced me.

JustGo
08-12-2011, 10:43 AM

I don't know if that was just another anthropomorphic pile of hay, or if your are just genuinely failing to grasp the depth what I said.

Police officers should be held to the highest of possible standards, they are the protectors of the innocent. This, the highest conception of this specific division of labor, dictates that they must truly value the lives of the innocent more than their own; this includes all "criminals" who have yet to be tried, as specified in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Specifically, this means extreme efforts to protect the "criminals" and deliver them to an independent and impartial tribunal. I don't believe that happened today.

AND... I am willing to put my life where my words are.

BUT... It doesn't really matter because shit happens.

Help to clarify? Or you didn't really give a shit and were simply upset someone sees the world differently than yourself?

I'll assume the latter, it is Beyond after all.

I completely understand what you're saying.

However, a guy trying to kill a police officer with a knife is NOT "completely innocent" even by your precious Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

How would people ever even GET to court if every time they were going to be arrested, they killed the cop that was trying to do so? Your theory is all fine and good in land of make believe, but this is REALITY.

JustGo
08-12-2011, 10:44 AM

spikerS
08-12-2011, 11:18 AM

Because I don't agree with some specific actions or lack of actions, and I have my own opinions on what their role should be, I should "stand in front of them"?

Yes, you already stated you would like to be a police officer, and that you would willingly lay down your life to make sure the offender was indeed using a knife instead of a screw driver.

So, having said that, lets let you back your words up. The next time there is something like this going on, before the police protect themselves, lets let you willingly wade in there and see if they attack you first. If not, perfect, he can be arrested and brought in. If he does attack you, well then you laid your life down to protect others.

HyperZell
08-12-2011, 11:30 AM

Goddamn there is some comprehension issues in this thread.

The last list of common sayings was a tongue in cheek commentary on automatonic behavior in general, rebuking the conception of sacred cows.

Welcome to Fairy-land! Population: you and Feruk.

HiTempguy1
08-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell

you and Feruk, brokenlegs, modelexis, oh I am sure there are more.

ixlr8
08-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by spikers

So, having said that, lets let you back your words up. The next time there is something like this going on, before the police protect themselves, lets let you willingly wade in there and see if they attack you first. If not, perfect, he can be arrested and brought in. If he does attack you, well then you laid your life down to protect others.

I'm getting told I'm unrealistic, and now this?

Okay, since we are both being unrealistic, perhaps they could set up some kind of private contractor position for me? If so, yes I'd gladly be the front line to the front line.

I can think of no greater honor than giving my life to protect another life, even my enemy. This is the highest conception in philosophy, that there is literally no distinction between oneself and the other.

Idealistic, yes, I clearly specified that. As far someone living up to such lofty conceptions, I know of a few, so it isn't exactly ethereal.

JustGo
08-12-2011, 12:21 PM
The sad thing about all of this is that our legal system is actually based on the same beliefs being spewed by all these 'right to a fair trial' people. Our system is so out of touch with reality... not only out of touch, but completely out of sight. We are operating under the same vision as we did when it was considered an insult to be called 'dishonorable'. Our legal system still believes that a criminal is telling the truth when he/she is under oath.

News flash, most people, let alone criminals, don't give a crap if they are under oath. Our system is garbage, and any person who still believes in it is intellectually dishonest. Times change, people change, yet our system remains the same- delusional.

JustGo
08-12-2011, 12:33 PM

Okay, since we are both being unrealistic, perhaps they could set up some kind of private contractor position for me? If so, yes I'd gladly be the front line to the front line.

I can think of no greater honor than giving my life to protect another life, even my enemy. This is the highest conception in philosophy, that there is literally no distinction between oneself and the other.

Idealistic, yes, I clearly specified that. As far someone living up to such lofty conceptions, I know of a few, so it isn't exactly ethereal. Here within lies the problem with your ideology...

You would gladly give your life to protect another life. So you give your life to protect a violent criminals life, and he then continues on, after killing an officer, now even more determined to make good his escape. Anyone who stands in his way, police or otherwise, is in danger of being hurt or killed by this man. So by allowing him to carry on by protecting his life, you've now endangered potentially tens or hundreds of other lives. Does your theory sound slightly counter productive to you, or do you still think it's awesome?

spikerS
08-12-2011, 12:33 PM

Idealistic, yes, I clearly specified that. As far someone living up to such lofty conceptions, I know of a few, so it isn't exactly ethereal.

you are so far out in the land of pixies and faries you have raised the bar exponentially!

Tell you what, go join the canadian armed forces and go get deployed to afganistan. I guarantee, yours will be the shortest deployment, and come back in a body bag.

Hamann
08-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Gun Vs Knife (or Screw driver in this case) isn't as one sided as alot of people believe, the lethal distance for someone with a knife to run and stab someone with a holstered firearm before they can draw and put 2 shots to centre mass is 7m.

Look up the Tueller Drill, it's quite an interesting read.

http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/Tueller/How.Close.htm

Sugarphreak
08-12-2011, 01:08 PM

HyperZell
08-12-2011, 01:29 PM
I actually understand the concept that ixlr8 is getting at. Putting the lives of others before your own is an ultimate in self-sacrifice and selflessness, but it's still patently ridiculous in the real world, especially if it's not towards a greater cause.

If you were giving up your life for your enemy for a noble reason or cause (like you knew his survival was for the greater good of the world, ex. Jet Li in Hero) then I understand. However, ixlr8 doesn't bring any type of that context in at all and comes off sounding stupid, as it goes against basic human self-preservation.

FraserB
08-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Why would you expect a police officer to lay his life down or even risk it for someone like Rawlings? A three time loser who was going to continue to re-offend and continue to be a tax and burden on civilized society is certainly not worth the life of a police officer. Maybe now people will think before the commit crimes or threaten an armed police officer.

Xtrema
08-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Why would you expect a police officer to lay his life down or even risk it for someone like Rawlings? A three time loser who was going to continue to re-offend and continue to be a tax and burden on civilized society is certainly not worth the life of a police officer. Maybe now people will think before the commit crimes or threaten an armed police officer.

I would say that once you pull a weapon and charge a cop, deadly force is warranted regardless what that weapon is.

JustGo
08-12-2011, 02:04 PM
I love how his family and loser friends are in complete denial...

"He is too wise to charge at an officer with a screwdriver..."

Apparently not, idiot.