PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a internet/cable/phone plan...

180drft
08-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Hey guys, so Im moving into a new place and im having a hard time choosing a plan and provider...

Im thinking Shaw... unlimited Lite?

I have Telus and a fibre optic setup but im not too crazy about it...

suggestions?

I will be needing a high to higher speed internet for gaming and what not, maybe not even a home phone, and cable for TV.

sputnik
08-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Unlimited Lite? Why?

eblend
08-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by 180drft

I have Telus and a fibre optic setup but im not too crazy about it...

So you have a system that is from 2011 and you want to move back to 1996? Confused.

I assume you mean you just have Optik, which is great in itself and light years ahead of Shaw's PVR system and don't actually have real fiber to the home, in which case going to Shaw over a fiber link would be just insane in my opinion.

Just call any one and tell them you are thinking of moving over from telus for example and say you are not sure, what can they offer you, and see if what they offer you is good enough. I would call telus first and tell them what you don't like and you want to switch and see how they can sweeten your deal. If you want speed...why are you going unlimited light? It would be like browsing on 56k, or feel like it at least.

180drft
08-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Ohhhh ok. I'm not to familiar with this, just gonna call around and see what's up.

What would be an examaple of a good packadge in your opinion? I need fast fast internet lol...

psycoticclown
08-13-2011, 02:09 PM
I work for Telus right now and we have some great promotions right now. If you sign up before Sept 10 for TV, we're giving free NHL Center Ice or NFL Sunday Ticket. Internet is pretty quick with the Optik internet, 15 mbps, it might not be quite as fast as Shaw's extreme but it's stable and if you are just needing a faster connection for gaming, Optik is more then enough. If not, we do have Telus Optik Turbo which gives 25 mbps. We're also giving a free Laptop, free PVR and free set top box on 3 year terms. Plus it will be cheaper then Shaw's. Shaw for all 3 basic home phone and TV is $99, we cost $90 plus you get the free NHL or NFL and all the other freebies too.

hurrdurr
08-13-2011, 02:31 PM
hey psycoticclown im thnking of switching from Shaw, are you able to help me with a good package?

kamakurakid
08-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by psycoticclown
I work for Telus right now and we have some great promotions right now. If you sign up before Sept 10 for TV, we're giving free NHL Center Ice or NFL Sunday Ticket. Internet is pretty quick with the Optik internet, 15 mbps, it might not be quite as fast as Shaw's extreme but it's stable and if you are just needing a faster connection for gaming, Optik is more then enough. If not, we do have Telus Optik Turbo which gives 25 mbps. We're also giving a free Laptop, free PVR and free set top box on 3 year terms. Plus it will be cheaper then Shaw's. Shaw for all 3 basic home phone and TV is $99, we cost $90 plus you get the free NHL or NFL and all the other freebies too.

I signed up (internet, phone, Optik, three year, free XBOX360) last week, no offer of a NHL or NFL package. Can you get me in this elite package?

As for my review, Telus has been better than Shaw in so many ways. I cannot think of a downside to the package so far.

eblend
08-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by 180drft

What would be an examaple of a good packadge in your opinion? I need fast fast internet lol...

Seems to go completely against what you selected...Unlimited light is not FAST FAST by any stretch

psycoticclown
08-13-2011, 09:05 PM
PMs sent.

Mar
08-13-2011, 09:32 PM
For me it's a no brainer. Shaw hasn't renewed my IP in years and they open port 80 for incoming DNS requests. Telus fail on both accounts, that's what keeps me as a Shaw customer.

calgarydub
08-14-2011, 04:31 AM
Hey clown, my brother just bought a new house, and signed up for the same package as kamakurakid, but I bet he'd rather have center ice, I'd have to ask him, but how does one get in on this deal, I don't think it was offered to him.

thanks.

eblend
08-14-2011, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Mar
For me it's a no brainer. Shaw hasn't renewed my IP in years and they open port 80 for incoming DNS requests. Telus fail on both accounts, that's what keeps me as a Shaw customer.

This is under an assumption that you are running a web server at home, where 99.999% of people are not and could not care less, especially since a webserver on 1/2/3 mbps up is painful for anything more than text.

Most people keep the same IP as well, for as long as their equipment is constantly powered on. The dynamic IP you get from your internet provider is not much different than what you get at home on a router, it has a lease time and expires, but only if you disconnect the device for an extended period of time, so small power outages ect don't count, hence why you keep getting the same IP back, making it look like it is static.

Also, "they open port 80 for incoming DNS requests" doesn't make much sense, DNS is not involved with this at all....DNS translates a name to an IP using port 53, without careing which port you are trying to access as you specify that during a connection attempt, so unless you are running a DNS server at home makes no sense. Shaw just allows port 80 to respond unlike Telus, the default port for web traffic. I myself much prefer to host stuff on a fast webhost so doesn't bother myself, but some people like to run a web server from home so it may be an issue, but those people are few and far between.

Just clarifying for others

kamakurakid
08-14-2011, 01:40 PM
I had Telus installed Aug. 3, just got off the phone with Telus and they say no-go on getting the new packages included. I politely mentioned having Telus removed and calling under my wife's name for a new install. No-go, the Telus rep mentioned I would face penalties for early cancellation of the contract.

I did not want to force the issue, I believe we have seven or ten days to cancel after an installation without penalty. IF they had caved on the NHL or NFL package, what the hell it was worth a shot.

Telus is vastly better than the four years I was with Shaw. Anyone want to buy a cheap Shaw PVR?

Mar
08-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by eblend

This is under an assumption that you are running a web server at home, where 99.999% of people are not and could not care less, especially since a webserver on 1/2/3 mbps up is painful for anything more than text.

Most people keep the same IP as well, for as long as their equipment is constantly powered on. The dynamic IP you get from your internet provider is not much different than what you get at home on a router, it has a lease time and expires, but only if you disconnect the device for an extended period of time, so small power outages ect don't count, hence why you keep getting the same IP back, making it look like it is static.

Also, "they open port 80 for incoming DNS requests" doesn't make much sense, DNS is not involved with this at all....DNS translates a name to an IP using port 53, without careing which port you are trying to access as you specify that during a connection attempt, so unless you are running a DNS server at home makes no sense. Shaw just allows port 80 to respond unlike Telus, the default port for web traffic. I myself much prefer to host stuff on a fast webhost so doesn't bother myself, but some people like to run a web server from home so it may be an issue, but those people are few and far between.

Just clarifying for others

I use bind9 for DNS forwarding and I need a local web server as it allows me access to some peripherals and my home automation portal via port 80.

home security - www.zoneminder.com
music control - www.guatedroid.com
home automation - http://domus.link.co.pt/screenshots/defualt-theme2/

eblend
08-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Mar

I use bind9 for DNS forwarding and I need a local web server as it allows me access to some peripherals and my home automation portal via port 80.

home security - www.zoneminder.com
music control - www.guatedroid.com
home automation - http://domus.link.co.pt/screenshots/defualt-theme2/

Ahh okie, interesting, regardless, most people would not require a web server. The whole Optik TV and phone can be had without having internet, so it is absolutely possible to have phone and tv through telus for example, and internet through shaw.

About telus phone by the way, it is not the old phone that it used to be, long distance wise. I remember telus used to charge some retarded amount to make long distance calls, now all phones come with "the great rate" plan or something at no extra cost, which basically makes most international calls $0.04 per minute. My wife calls Japan all the time directly without calling card ect and the max i paid any given month for her convos was like $3 bucks. Before this we have CIA VOIP service and it was horrible quality wise for internation calls for some reason. My wife says the telus quality for her calls was best, but we never had shaw phone in our house to compare. My parents had shaw phone (now telus everything as I hook em up with anything that I have if i think it is easy to use and good features), but their phone would always cut out. they would not be able to make calls sometimes and calling them would also result in just constant ringing without it ever ringing on their side. I think they had weak signal or something, but the phone and internet would simply drop out every once in a while and then come back a short period later. It is strange, their house is like 40 years old and their phone copper gives them better service then the shaw copper.

Just wanted to put my experience out here.

And to the person who wanted to cancel within a short period of time, if I am not mistaken there for sure is a law that lets you cancel within a certain period of time, so I would look into it and stick it to Telus. Other option is just to talk to the guy who works there and posts here, and maybe he can hook those packages on for you. I would also call and say I want to cancel and they will transfer you to retentions which should be able to give you those perks. When I got mine I got the free PVR and bought the second receiver, for my parents they got the free PVR and a free receiver, and I bought the other two.

180drft
08-16-2011, 09:50 AM
Wow ok, had to research most of the mentioned info above... lol. So now im stuck... Both have ups and downs obviously. So the question is now, if you just wanted a Basiv TV and fast internet package what would you guys what would you?