PDA

View Full Version : Want your Opinion on car purchase

freshprince1
08-12-2011, 03:31 PM
OK, so I have a car allownace for work now, but do not want to buy new. This will be a daily driver, commuting from Okotoks, as well as driving clients from time to time for lunch etc. I want something in the sport luxury realm, AWD would be nice. Here's what I think I've narrowed it down to:

2004 BMW 330xi - 109K kms - Silver - $16K - AWD

2004 Infiniti G35 - 105K kms - Silver - $12.7K - RWD

2003 MercedesBenz C32 AMG - 135K kms - Silver - $13.9K - RWD

Can anyone chime in on what it's like driving a BMW or MB RWD in the winter?

leftwing
08-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Out of your list i like the AMG, i kinda feel like the g35 is out of place on that list.

- No experience driving any of the vehicles.

Nakadah
08-12-2011, 03:43 PM
I voted for the Mercedes as I think it is the best of the three.

I have only bad experiences with BMW. People buy it because if its badge, not because it is a real car. Also I think the one that you have mentioned is a little overpriced.

I really dislike the interior of the G35. Also I do not find the exterior to be in any way nicely look as well. Nissan is much better than inifiniti and if it were me I would take the 350z over the G35 coupe any day.

As to the Mercedes. I like the C-class and Mercedes as overall are great vehicles.

For the winter you do absolutely need a set of quality winter tires! RWD is fun to drive because you can slide and so forth, but it is not the best option.

Since you are looking for both luxury and sport may I suggest a Passat 2006-present? I strongly recommend the 2.0T engine as the V6 is defective.

I have one of these and it is blast to drive, never ever had any problems and I do not see a vehicle that can be more luxurious by much. It is too much of a car for the money you are going to spend.

Xtrema
08-12-2011, 03:47 PM
If you take client(s), I think G35 is the one with livable backseats. It's also the one least likely leave you high and dry on the side of the road.

Depending what your allowance is, you should check if you can lease a new car. I think you can lease a Buick Regal or LaCrosse for under $500/mth.

freshprince1
08-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
If you take client(s), I think G35 is the one with livable backseats. It's also the one least likely leave you high and dry on the side of the road.

Depending what your allowance is, you should check if you can lease a new car. I think you can lease a Buick Regal or LaCrosse for under $500/mth.

Yah, affording a new car isn't the issue, my allowance could easily afford a lease on a new car, but I just don't want to commit to something that long term at this point. I'd rather buy used - something that will work fine for 3-4 years, sell the Mazda, and have the new one pais off within the next year or so. That's if I can have things my way, :bigpimp:

Weapon_R
08-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Not that I'm biased, but the G35 is probably your best bet for your specific needs. It's the most reliable and has enough space to seat passengers comfortably. The C32 is too small for your needs.

I'd look into the newer Maxima too. They share a lot of the same features as the G35 but you can get the 6th gen in your budget range. Personally, I hate the earlier G35 sedan look, and the maxima looks much better to me. I've seen a couple of G35x models in the marketplace for around your budget, so I'd keep your options open if you do go for an infiniti.

94boosted
08-15-2011, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Not that I'm biased, but the G35 is probably your best bet for your specific needs. It's the most reliable and has enough space to seat passengers comfortably. The C32 is too small for your needs.

I'd look into the newer Maxima too. They share a lot of the same features as the G35 but you can get the 6th gen in your budget range. Personally, I hate the earlier G35 sedan look, and the maxima looks much better to me. I've seen a couple of G35x models in the marketplace for around your budget, so I'd keep your options open if you do go for an infiniti.

:werd:

You can get into a nice G35X for ~15K and you will have a reliable car that isn't a slouch either.

benyl
08-15-2011, 01:00 PM
Did you check into the stipulations of the car allowance?

Especially if you are driving clients around. They usually want something pretty new.

freshprince1
08-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted

:werd:

You can get into a nice G35X for ~15K and you will have a reliable car that isn't a slouch either.

Yah, just found one today in that range. Unfortunately I am picky on the colour...and a lot of G35's are very old manish in colour. but they are sweet rides.

Originally posted by benyl
Did you check into the stipulations of the car allowance?

Especially if you are driving clients around. They usually want something pretty new.

Good point. I've been searching for a month for stipulations, apparently there are some, but I cannot find the document. So I figure if I get into a nice sport luxury similar to those listed, it shouldnt raise any eyebrows.

Thanks for the input guys. I slept on it over the weekend and I think I talked myself out of the AMG - as awesome as it would be. I think I still like the 330xi, but it's a little pricey, and I'll move to considering G35x's in non old man colours.

I love/hate car shopping...but mostly love it.

zipdoa
08-15-2011, 04:17 PM
Why not a B6 A4 1.8T? You can find them in 6MT, chip is good for 230HP/270TQ, Quattro outperforms all other AWD, they handle well and are very comfortable.

I would take Quattro over any AWD Infiniti or BMW.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2003-Audi-A4-1-8t-quattro-W0QQAdIdZ296814501

leftwing
08-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1

Yah, affording a new car isn't the issue, my allowance could easily afford a lease on a new car, but I just don't want to commit to something that long term at this point. I'd rather buy used - something that will work fine for 3-4 years, sell the Mazda, and have the new one pais off within the next year or so. That's if I can have things my way, :bigpimp:

Not sure if I misunderstood this post, but if price isn't an issue, why not lease a brand new bmw, benz, or any other car. Also you mentioned you wanted something to last 3-4 years...you can easily get a lease agreement that is 3-4 years in length.

slinkie
08-15-2011, 05:58 PM
e46 baby

max_boost
08-15-2011, 06:00 PM
330 for sure. Love the look of the E46. Classic IMO!

Kardon
08-15-2011, 06:14 PM
If you're going to get a G35, you could get a 2004 for less, and it will be a reliable car (i'd actually get the auto over the 6mt after owning one), but the interior is very plasticy, and yes the seats are leather, but its not very high quality. The 6 Disc bose is also prone to failure. So are the compression rod bushings in the front suspension. Or you could go for a newer one, with the higher reving VQ35..which is no longer quite so reliable, and will probably consume oil. And no matter which one you get if its got 4 doors you won't help but notice they look near identical to an altima. And theres still just as much plastic inside. But thats why they cost so much less than any of the others. Considered a TSX/TL? They have there problems too but what car doesn't..

freshprince1
08-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by leftwing

Not sure if I misunderstood this post, but if price isn't an issue, why not lease a brand new bmw, benz, or any other car. Also you mentioned you wanted something to last 3-4 years...you can easily get a lease agreement that is 3-4 years in length.

Sorry if my post was ambiguous. I have a car allowance that would allow for a new one, but I do not want to sign a long term lease. I'd like to find a decent used car for $15K range, and have it paid off quickly.

Originally posted by max_boost
330 for sure. Love the look of the E46. Classic IMO!

I think that's the way I'm going to go.

Originally posted by Kardon
If you're going to get a G35, .....

Thank you for the review. The idea of the G35x is nice...but it just doesnt' seem to be sitting right with me.

I keep coming back to the 330xi. It may not be the smartest choice, but I think it's what I want. I'll deal with its issues as they come.

I've found a nice one for $16K, just need to see if they'll negotiate a bit on the price...unless anyone else has some leads?!?

T-Dubbs
08-16-2011, 11:58 AM
330 is nice, just underpowered!

i would go for an audi with quattro!

kvg
08-16-2011, 12:28 PM
I voted BMW to look fancy for clients but I would personally like the g35 more. I have driven both and I found the G more enjoyable

max_boost
08-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by T-Dubbs
330 is nice, just underpowered!

i would go for an audi with quattro! The manual is OK. The autosteptronictragic is terrible lol