PDA

View Full Version : US Whistleblowers Tortured in Iraq to Sue Rumsfield

broken_legs
08-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Gd40g1IGma4

Two American men will be allowed to sue former Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld over claims that they were unfairly tortured by U.S. troops in Iraq.

Donald Vance and Nathan Ertel, who worked for a private security firm in the Middle East country, were allegedly beaten and punished for months in 2006 at Camp Cropper near Baghdad before being dumped at the airport without charge.

The pair argue that their rights of 'habeas corpus' - the legal term for unlawful detention - were violated, and are seeking damages from 79-year-old Rumsfeld, who was succeeded by Robert Gates in December 2007, and unnamed others.

Vance and Ertel had been hired by Shield Group Security, an Iraqi firm who the duo believed were involved in some questionable dealings, including illegal bribery and other corruption activities.

They flagged up their concerns to the U.S. authorities and began co-operating with the Federal Bureau of Investigation - and in early 2006 they were taken into custody and slung into Camp Cropper, the notorious holding facility for security detainees near Baghdad International Airport.

The whistle-blowers claim that they were forced to undergo harsh and prolonged interrogations at the same place Sadam Hussain lived his last years, and they were subjected to physical and emotional abuse.

Among the methods of torture used against them during several weeks in military camps was sleep deprivation and a practice known as 'walling', in which subjects are blindfolded and walked into walls, according to the lawsuit.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2024036/2-Americans-CAN-sue-Donald-Rumsfeld-tortured-US-army-Iraq.html#ixzz1UwdCUd8L

HiTempguy1
08-13-2011, 04:42 PM
This story seems... odd. I've never read anything else on it before. Do you know of any previous info on it?

I don't really see why they were thrown into a prison of all things :confused:

broken_legs
08-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
This story seems... odd. I've never read anything else on it before. Do you know of any previous info on it?

I don't really see why they were thrown into a prison of all things :confused:

Well Troll, you don't research anything else before you post, so I wouldn't expect you to start now.

NY TIMES 2006
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/18/world/middleeast/18justice.html?_r=1&hp&ex=1166418000&en=8bbe0ca95f0b352c&ei=5094&partner=homepage&oref=slogin

01RedDX
08-14-2011, 10:41 AM

Feruk
08-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Among the methods of torture used against them during several weeks in military camps was sleep deprivation and a practice known as 'walling', in which subjects are blindfolded and walked into walls, according to the lawsuit.

Haha walling? It seems like all these "torture" methods were concieved in an elementary school.

colsankey
08-15-2011, 02:44 PM
I dunno, there's worse things out there, but I bet you wouldn't spend a weekend with a blindfold on, letting your buddies give you "safe" directions as to not walking into walls.

I think it'd take one bump before I was paranoid and would want that blindfold off asap and I'm a pretty laid back person.

Godfuader
08-15-2011, 05:23 PM
These American men know what the price of "freedom" is. They should be thankful that they had the privilege of keeping us safe. The government should counter sue for wasting American time and resources when they could have been torturing local rag-heads instead. :)