PDA

View Full Version : My favorite Keg item

C_Dave45
08-13-2011, 09:20 PM
We're in Red Deer for the weekend. Just had an awesome dinner at my favorite restaurant. What did I have? Off-the-menu "Keg-O-Rama". 24 oz prime rib. Mmmmmmmm

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/3f0ffba7.jpg

1-Bar
08-13-2011, 09:27 PM
wow!! What that does that run you back?

Mar
08-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Looks disgusting. Price?

ianmcc
08-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Mooooo!!!!!!

Dayum but that's how I like 'em done! Just past blue rare!

C_Dave45
08-13-2011, 10:54 PM
Haha. Funny how to some ppl that's disgusting. My wife can't even watch me eat it. Makes her gag. To me.....OMG *droooool*. Melt in my mouth goodness.
It's not on the Keg menu, but it goes for $36.95. Not bad when the 16 oz goes for $28.95.

Dope Dealer
08-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Soo good! Isn't it called the Kega-Mega though? Hahah

Guillermo
08-14-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm not a fan of the Keg. I typically avoid chain restaurants but have been a few times using gift certificates. I've always had bad food, since everything is either processed in a factory or improperly cooked (I've had overcooked lobster, skin on mashed potatoes from sitting under heat lamps for too long, tough baseball steaks, etc. etc. etc.). not to mention that given all of the advertising and everything, I feel like i'm eating steak in a Denny's or something.

IMO there are far better options among the many excellent independent steak/seafood restaurants for the same price. Hell, even Reef n' Beef is way better than the Keg.

adidas
08-14-2011, 10:31 AM
http://files.sharenator.com/Do_Not_Want_Dog_RE_The_Art_of_Trolling-s500x391-128697-580.jpg

beyond_ban
08-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Ya, that doesn't look good at all. Their peppercorn new yorker cooked medium is unreal though... and it is a whole shit load of beef too. Although i enjoy the keg, i LOVE the salt lik.

OriginalGoods
08-14-2011, 11:16 AM
If its not rare its not a steak.

Hamann
08-14-2011, 02:51 PM
:drool:

C_Dave45
08-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Dope Dealer
Soo good! Isn't it called the Kega-Mega though? Hahah Calgary Keg's call it that. Apparently the Red Deer Keg called it "Keg-O-Rama". I just call it a 24 Oz Prime Rib.

Originally posted by OriginalGoods
If its not rare its not a steak.

:werd:

Originally posted by beyond_ban
Ya, that doesn't look good at all. Their peppercorn new yorker cooked medium is unreal though... and it is a whole shit load of beef too. Although i enjoy the keg, i LOVE the salt lik.

See, IMO, anyone that likes THAT kind of steak, really isn't into steak. You could just as well use chuck or blade steak in that dish and it would pretty much taste the same. All spice and sauce.

A true steak lover loves the best cuts without much more than a little bit of salt & pepper and maybe some olive oil. And RARE. Cooking a tenderloin or Rib-eye anything more than medium is just ruining it. blech. Might as well boil it.
:rofl:

Guillermo
08-14-2011, 03:20 PM
^^i agree, steak is best rare, with just salt and pepper. :thumbsup: you certainly don't want to cover it in a sauce, sauce is used in the restaurant industry for covering up the taste of not-totally-fresh meat.

C_Dave45
08-14-2011, 03:30 PM
oh...and a little known fact; I used to eat at the very first Keg Restaurant in North Van. It was originally called the "Keg and Cleaver". That was in '71.

Type_S1
08-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
oh...and a little known fact; I used to eat at the very first Keg Restaurant in North Van. It was originally called the "Keg and Cleaver". That was in '71.

:confused: is that what allows you to tell people how a "real" steak eater should like a steak?

people like different things, too many haters on here. I agree with most though I have never had a great steak from a chain like that keg it's always the smaller places that cook one up good because they have real chefs who care about the food.

dj_rice
08-14-2011, 03:38 PM

Holy fawk, ur just as old at Kritafo. Friggin dinosaurs. :rofl: :rofl:

I have a $50 G/C to the Keg that I havent used. After seeing this Kega-Mega, I might have to use it but cooking my medium rare. Blue rare is too alive for my liking.

Guillermo
08-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1

people like different things, too many haters on here.

pot calls kettle black. remember the thread where the guy had that awesome hyundai genesis, and you spent several pages shitting all over the car, the price, hyundai in general, and anyone else who liked the guys car? interesting.

CompletelyNumb
08-14-2011, 03:48 PM
^ lol

The Keg has one of the best and most consistant prime ribs in Calgary. I get mine medium rare though, I find it's more tender.

C_Dave45
08-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Holy fawk, ur just as old at Kritafo. Friggin dinosaurs. :rofl: :rofl:

I have a $50 G/C to the Keg that I havent used. After seeing this Kega-Mega, I might have to use it but cooking my medium rare. Blue rare is too alive for my liking.

LOL...yes I am old! If you go, also try their Cheesecake!!! GodDAMN it's good!! We'll sometimes just drop in late at night and grab two to go. They also have a new "Key lime pie" that's supposed to be really good too. Although I haven't tried it.

C_Dave45
08-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo

pot calls kettle black. remember the thread where the guy had that awesome hyundai genesis, and you spent several pages shitting all over the car, hyundai, and anyone else who liked the guys car? interesting.

BAHAHAHAHA!!! Buuuuuurn!!!

slinkie
08-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1

:confused: is that what allows you to tell people how a "real" steak eater should like a steak?

~`*-tHe caLLoUt*~'-=

Love the Keg's calamari haha

Kritafo
08-14-2011, 04:48 PM
we just went last night to the NE location, kids wanted Olive Garden it was 9:20 and the wait was 40 mins...we walked into the Keg and got seated right away. 3 of us got Prime Rib, even though it was late it was still pretty rare. Server insisted one of us go to the kitchen to check on the colour or the prime rib because we were all saying rare, server was worried it would be over done for us. 2 of us got the 10 oz our teen son polished off a 16 oz and dessert. lol Daughter got a Filet Mignon we had leftovers.

It's not somewhere we normally go, but it was very good last night.

I can't even imagine eating 24 oz!

Yup I am an ole dinosaur. However in 71' I would have been 2 and not remembered eating there ;)

ahh still too young to start eating at 4 pm... but always b*tching about how things "use to be"

Mar
08-14-2011, 05:36 PM
For $37 you could have went to a much better place and gotten something that would probably taste way better.

01RedDX
08-14-2011, 06:44 PM

Neil4Speed
08-14-2011, 06:53 PM
I think the Keg is underrated - I go to the one at the Westin decently often and really enjoy the steak there. The one at the westin is actually totally redone and feels pretty high end inside.

Personally I didn't really find the Keg steak to be any worse than Ruths, Caesars, Chophouse.

sabad66
08-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Went to Chicago Chop House on Friday and I still think The Keg is much better. IMO Caesar's is definitely #1 in Calgary, though. mmm cheese bread :drool: :drool:

Skyline_Addict
08-14-2011, 07:50 PM
just had this the other day! with a french onion soup. goddamn it's good.

calgarydub
08-14-2011, 08:14 PM
The best steak is when you BBQ it yourself.

Tik-Tok
08-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by calgarydub

:werd:

I never order steak in a restaurant unless I'm out of town (Which C_Dave was). Just seems pointless, when I can BBQ my own for 1/4 of the price.

Kritafo
08-14-2011, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by calgarydub

I totally agree, I normally buy my steak at Costco NW cause they have the Prime usually under $40.00 and feeds the family. I don't normally ever order steak or prime rib at a restaurant because they charge so much. But ... since we couldn't get the overpriced pasta at Olive Garden lol... we went to The Keg and I was pleasantly surprised.

Jlude
08-14-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm not a fan of prime rib, never enjoyed it.

Cos
08-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Love the 4th ave Keg and get Prime Rib. Garlic Mashed and the Prime Rib is just soo good.

I dont know if I could do a 24oz though. Honestly didnt know it existed too.

frozenrice
08-14-2011, 10:07 PM
My friend's cousin ordered this beast from Smuggler's. I can't remember how big it was, I'm guessing 32oz?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/frozenrice/5lbsteak2.jpg

When we do prime rib at home we usually cook it in the rotisserie oven (George Foreman FTW). Rubbed lightly with olive oil and salted lightly with Montreal steak spice and let cook for about 1-1 1/2 hrs.

dj_rice
08-14-2011, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice
My friend's cousin ordered this beast from Smuggler's. I can't remember how big it was, I'm guessing 32oz?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/frozenrice/5lbsteak2.jpg

When we do prime rib at home we usually cook it in the rotisserie oven (George Foreman FTW). Rubbed lightly with olive oil and salted lightly with Montreal steak spice and let cook for about 1-1 1/2 hrs.

Just looking at that, I already get the meat sweats

max_boost
08-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
Went to Chicago Chop House on Friday and I still think The Keg is much better. IMO Caesar's is definitely #1 in Calgary, though. mmm cheese bread :drool: :drool:

Yea man. Filet mignon and lobster tail is my usual at Caesars. omfg :drool: just thinking about it haha

BTW, 24oz is about right for Stone Cold Dave the Tile man. He needs all that protein to fuel his 3 plate benches. :D

sputnik
08-15-2011, 07:03 AM
Why are people talking about BBQing steak in a thread about prime rib?

taemo
08-15-2011, 08:56 AM
that prime rib makes me drool

must go to the keg soon again

love prime rib.. just medium rare for me though, tried a t-bone steak rare once and took me forever to chew the meat

JRSC00LUDE
08-17-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm not a fan of the Keg. I typically avoid chain restaurants but have been a few times using gift certificates. I've always had bad food, since everything is either processed in a factory or improperly cooked (I've had overcooked lobster, skin on mashed potatoes from sitting under heat lamps for too long, tough baseball steaks, etc. etc. etc.). not to mention that given all of the advertising and everything, I feel like i'm eating steak in a Denny's or something.

IMO there are far better options among the many excellent independent steak/seafood restaurants for the same price. Hell, even Reef n' Beef is way better than the Keg.

That's interesting, I've heard that about different Keg locations over the years.

I know for me, the one here is Saskatoon has always been spot on for prime rib or a new york. They are the only two things I order there but they are incredibly consistent and have been for years. I know a good prime rib and know a good steak, those two menu choices have almost never let me down here. I do agree though, I can make a better steak at home usually but sometimes I don't feel like doing it.

Dave, that looks awesome! I can't eat that much meat anymore....it damn near kills me! lol

colinxx235
08-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Haha I worked at the 130th Keg two summers ago. It wasn't too common that people ordered it, but always interesting to see. Good ol Keg-O-Mega.

The best was when a petite girl would be with her bf and order it, while he ordered something much smaller. I would naturally assume the server entered the seat numbers incorrectly and it would open a good opportunity for the girlfriend to poke fun at her guy.

I know my favorite steak will always be the new york. It is by far the most consistent of the cuts they receive. The filet/rib steak can be amazing, but sometimes they are off the mark and thats why I stick to the NY. Start of with some scallops n bacon, gg calorie count.

C_Dave45
08-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

That's interesting, I've heard that about different Keg locations over the years.

I know for me, the one here is Saskatoon has always been spot on for prime rib or a new york. They are the only two things I order there but they are incredibly consistent and have been for years. I know a good prime rib and know a good steak, those two menu choices have almost never let me down here. I do agree though, I can make a better steak at home usually but sometimes I don't feel like doing it.

Dave, that looks awesome! I can't eat that much meat anymore....it damn near kills me! lol

Yeah, I've found the Keg to be the most consistent restaurant I go to. Food and service has always been #1. Smugglers is good too. The ONLY time I had bad service was the downtown Keg. Other than that, wether here or in BC it's always awesome.

I didn't realize you were in S'toon! Do you know THIS (http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=WBM+Office+Systems,+Saskatoon,+Saskatchewan&hl=en&ll=52.136623,-106.660123&spn=0.014461,0.038581&sll=52.113621,-106.626263&sspn=0.014468,0.038581&vpsrc=6&z=15&layer=c&cbll=52.136734,-106.660074&panoid=SzjRzotHyr1zAsQ4mwajSg&cbp=12,322.26,,0,-2.5) place? My uncle used to own it. I worked there for awhile (the P.A. store) but often came down to the Saskatoon store. Always went for lunches across the street at Earls.

HyperZell
08-18-2011, 09:37 AM
I too appreciate a good Keg prime rib. Was at the Stadium location last week and got the prime rib and half a lobster tail. It was intensely good, and I was really digging the lobster, even though I usually prefer crab. Great meal for sure.

My favorite place to go for prime rib, however, is Smuggler's Inn. I get the friend's and owner's cut, and demolish the entire thing. Maybe next time I'll try one of the off-menu cuts...

Kloubek
08-18-2011, 09:45 AM
That is entirely too rare for me.

...mind you, this is coming from a guy who wouldn't touch meat as a kid unless it was well done. I just prefer it not to still be moo'ing....

Mitsu3000gt
08-18-2011, 01:27 PM
I don't mind the Keg, it's a consistently solid place. Not over the top good, but good food at a good price.

The only Keg I've ever had issue with is one of the ones in Banff. We had a group of 6 or 8 and every single one of our meals were badly screwed up, brown lettuce salads, awful steaks, etc. Every Keg in Calgary I've been happy with.

JRSC00LUDE
08-18-2011, 01:28 PM

Yeah, I've found the Keg to be the most consistent restaurant I go to. Food and service has always been #1. Smugglers is good too. The ONLY time I had bad service was the downtown Keg. Other than that, wether here or in BC it's always awesome.

I didn't realize you were in S'toon! Do you know THIS (http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=WBM+Office+Systems,+Saskatoon,+Saskatchewan&hl=en&ll=52.136623,-106.660123&spn=0.014461,0.038581&sll=52.113621,-106.626263&sspn=0.014468,0.038581&vpsrc=6&z=15&layer=c&cbll=52.136734,-106.660074&panoid=SzjRzotHyr1zAsQ4mwajSg&cbp=12,322.26,,0,-2.5) place? My uncle used to own it. I worked there for awhile (the P.A. store) but often came down to the Saskatoon store. Always went for lunches across the street at Earls.

Oh yeah, for sure. I still know one guy who works there. I hit up the lounge on Earls (Bacchus) all the time! This Earls is actually pretty wicked since it is still independantly owned. Has the additional lounge separate from the regular restaurant/lounge and has their own brew-pub. Opening an off-sale/wine market one of these days as well - total one-stop shop!

dirtsniffer
08-18-2011, 02:35 PM
ya I love getting this too. the fried onions and horseraddish :drool: primerib is my favorite thing there for sure. excargots for an appy too

tech1
08-18-2011, 06:02 PM
ive always loved the keg as well, ive seemed to be on the hunt for the best prime rib or best steak but it has always come down to the keg. ive had prime rib at smugglers, tony romas,mother tuckers, miletstones, bumpers in banff ( theyre slogan is if u haven been to bumpers u havent been to banff, and claim to have the best prime rib), tried the best steaks at sky 360, cattle baron, moxies, joeys, ceasers, and i always say the keg and lobster doesnt beat it. its always very consistant, and the same every location, malborough, chinook, banff, edmonton.

Guillermo
08-18-2011, 06:14 PM
how many of you Keg fans also like the food at Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Chili's, East Side Mario's, or Applebee's? Just curious.

CompletelyNumb
08-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Red Lobster has a good fresh fish menu sometimes. Their famous platters are pretty 'meh' for seafood. Olive Garden has good soup and breadsticks. Chili's is pub food. ESM is worse than homecooked. Never been to Applebees, though "Hall Pass" made it sound great.

CompletelyNumb
08-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by tech1
ive always loved the keg as well, ive seemed to be on the hunt for the best prime rib or best steak but it has always come down to the keg. ive had prime rib at smugglers, tony romas,mother tuckers, miletstones, bumpers in banff ( theyre slogan is if u haven been to bumpers u havent been to banff, and claim to have the best prime rib), tried the best steaks at sky 360, cattle baron, moxies, joeys, ceasers, and i always say the keg and lobster doesnt beat it. its always very consistant, and the same every location, malborough, chinook, banff, edmonton.

^ this

Keg simply has good prime rib. Period. (I dont often eat there other menu items sorry)

Cos
08-18-2011, 06:29 PM
how many of you Keg fans also like the food at Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Chili's, East Side Mario's, or Applebee's? Just curious.

Hate them all. I really like the keg. I also really like Redwater (if you are talking chain higher end eating).

I find earls to be OKAY depending on the location, Moxies is crap now and absolutely HATE Joey's now.

beyond_ban
08-18-2011, 07:15 PM

Out of those, only Olive Garden. They have the most amazing chicken parmigiano ever. and its huge.

Guillermo
08-18-2011, 07:17 PM
^^^ :barf:

:D :rofl:

dirtsniffer
08-18-2011, 09:06 PM
i almost forgot you are nonlinear... almost

CompletelyNumb
08-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

Out of those, only Olive Garden. They have the most amazing chicken parmigiano ever. and its huge.

Like a boss :bigpimp:

Guillermo
08-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
i almost forgot you are nonlinear... almost

for the record, i'm not nonlinear. :devil:

JRSC00LUDE
08-18-2011, 11:10 PM

I dont like any of those, never have. Although I fail to see what that has to do with The Keg havimg a good prime rib.....

I would put money that you wouldn't be able to pick it out from a blind tasting of that and three high end steakhouses.....you're likely just the beef equivalent of that guy at the dinner party who pans the wine but can't tell a cabernet from a malbec without reading the label.

sputnik
08-19-2011, 07:53 AM

So where do douchebags get the best prime rib?

Guillermo
08-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

So where do douchebags get the best prime rib?

The Keg :rofl:

JRSC00LUDE
08-19-2011, 01:07 PM
^

:rofl: Nicely played you bastard.

GTS4tw
08-19-2011, 01:21 PM

for the record, i'm not nonlinear. :devil:

Thats good because he was a lying piece of shit.... :poosie:

Guillermo
08-19-2011, 01:34 PM
well i suppose different people like different things, more power to you if you like the keg. :thumbsup: i was having a couple of beers last night and thought i was being funny with the whole OG thing, but it's not so funny when i read it now. :banghead:

msommers
08-19-2011, 03:53 PM
I actually like the steaks they have at Joey's. Or at least their seasoning is really good!

Still nothing beats a steak at home. Maybe it's the satisfaction of making it yourself that distorts it ;)