PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a Newer Honda DX having Lock Problems?

Mixalot27
08-14-2011, 08:28 AM
I have a 2008 Honda Civic Coupe DX. As its the most basic model it doesn't have power locks or keyless entry. The car is just under 3 years old and I have been having trouble opening the driver's side door with the key for about the last 8 months.
basically the key won't go in without several attempts and then jiggling it to get it to turn. Its progressively become worse to the point where I can no longer get it to operate at all and have to enter through the passenger door. Also my hatch lock is starting to give me slight problems getting the key in as well although its still pretty minor at this point. The passenger side lock works flawlessly however it has probably been opened with a key under 10 times ever.

I took it into T & T Honda to have the issue fixed under warranty. T & T "replaced worn out cylinder tumblers". However the lock worked better for maybe about 3 times after that and then was back to the same as before or maybe even worse. I personally wonder if the work was ever even performed or if some graphite was just shot into the lock or something. Due to this issue and several others I have had, I will never return to T & T Honda. Out of several issues, I have yet to successfully get any quality warranty work done there.

I will be taking the car in to either Calgary Honda or Okotoks Honda in the next week to have the lock fixed again. I've been doing some googling and found several posts of others who have been having similar issues. It doesn't seem to be limited to Civics but also occurs on Fits, Elements, etc. Basically I guess any of the models which come with manual locks since obviously those with keyless entry will not use the key in the locks often.

I'm wondering if anyone here has a newer Honda DX and is having similar problems? Also any input into what the problem is? And is it likely to be a recurring thing once I get it properly fixed?

Mixalot27
08-18-2011, 10:41 AM
I tried to make an appointment with Calgary Honda to have my lock fixed. I filled out a service request online but never heard back. I sent a follow up email and that was never responded to either.

So I took my car out to Okotoks Honda. Customer service was excellent there. However after waiting there about an hour, they tell me they don't have the part and have to order it from Montreal. So now I get to go back in a few more days.

3 trips to get a simple lock fixed, pretty pathetic. And that's assuming it even gets properly fixed this time. Meanwhile 2 of my 3 locks no longer function at all. Only the passenger door lock works.

Also I found a Service Bulletin dating back to 2004 about lock cylinders binding. So this problem has been ongoing for several years yet they didn't improve the quality of locks? Also it sound like the problem is likely to reoccur in a year or two.

Tomorrow I'm going to go car shopping and see what other brands appeal to me and probably trade my car in for something else.

Thanks for nothing Honda. :thumbsdow