PDA

View Full Version : Telematics system allows company to monitor commercial driver behaviour as if managem

Markham
08-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Hey guys

Commercial drivers are probably pretty familiar with this technology, but I thought it was interesting. Anybody use this in Calgary and have stories to tell?

http://www.calgarybeacon.com/2011/08/telematics-system-allows-company-to-monitor-commercial-driver-behaviour-as-if-management-sitting-in-cab/

Markham

SJW
08-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Ask the guy who drove into the canyon in golden yesterday who made me drive 12 hours from kamloops.

Skyline_Addict
08-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Markham, it looks really unprofessional when you just copy and paste the title of the thread which is clearly too long and cuts out before the end.

It makes me not want to read your articles and makes you look like you're a bot or somethnig.

M.alex
08-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
Markham, it looks really unprofessional when you just copy and paste the title of the thread which is clearly too long and cuts out before the end.

It makes me not want to read your articles and makes you look like you're a bot or somethnig.

Markham....make effort? :rofl:

nismodrifter
08-15-2011, 11:27 AM
hey guys

A790
08-15-2011, 11:48 AM
He's looking for the link back to his site, which he got.

googe
08-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by A790
He's looking for the link back to his site, which he got.

It has nofollow though

J-hop
08-15-2011, 06:03 PM
I wouldn't mind it if he would at least start posting these threads in the right section. His posts aren't general car talk, they are attempts at news articles that just happen to involve cars...

A790
08-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by googe

It has nofollow though
So do wikipedia links, but I've gotten sites ranked higher with wiki links.

I dunno, a nofollow link is still "theoretically" better than no link at all.

rob the knob
08-15-2011, 09:56 PM
mark, you wear this for month and then show us where you go?

why does a guy from brithish colymbia promote his paper so heavy here

Originally posted by Markham
Hey guys

Commercial drivers are probably pretty familiar with this technology, but I thought it was interesting. Anybody use this in Calgary and have stories to tell?

http://www.calgarybeacon.com/2011/08/telematics-system-allows-company-to-monitor-commercial-driver-behaviour-as-if-management-sitting-in-cab/

Markham

SKR
08-15-2011, 10:04 PM
I used to have one of these in my work truck where I used to work. They would be a good idea if it wasn't for how fucking stupid they are.

It takes a few minutes for the box to load up, and then you have to log in, or else it yells at you. So you can't just jump in the truck and go. You can't go even 1km/hr over the speed limit or else it yells at you. So try not to have to pass anyone or go downhill. And the best part is that you can't shut it off, so don't let your truck sit for more than a few days or else it will drain the battery.

I bought a piece of Dynamat from Futureshop and put that over the speaker. It still reported my bad driving to the office, but at least I wasn't jumping out of my skin every time it yelled, "SPEEDING VIOLATION! PLEASE REDUCE YOUR SPEED BELOW THE SPEED LIMIT!" You wouldn't believe how loud that thing was.

Thank fuck I don't have that anymore. If you ever get one, get ready to never enjoy driving anywhere ever again.

ShermanEF9
08-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Shaw tracking has been using a similar technology for a long time.

CUG
08-16-2011, 12:05 PM
I actually wouldn't ever work for a company that did this. I have in the past and it just became a contest between who could get the highest recorded speed over the 150km/h governer. I didn't, but I thought the employee revolt was funny.