PDA

View Full Version : Quick poll: (TRUCKS): Ford? GMC? Dodge?

TomcoPDR
08-15-2011, 09:19 AM
In respect to features:

- Crew cab
- V8
- Full size

Just wondering

Unknown303
08-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Chev/GMC with the Duramax.

Some places have even stopped using them in side by side comparisons with the other two because they usually win in most categories.

At least the last time I checked /disclaimer :dunno:

For a toy hauler they are unbeatable and are the most comfortable on-road full-sized truck.

hampstor
08-15-2011, 09:54 AM
What are you planning to tow?

Edit: It will provide some context to what size truck you need.

bbcustoms
08-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Chev/Gmc all the way

I have 8 full size trucks, 3 ford and 5 Chev/GMC. Mix of gas and diesel between both and prefer GM on both sides.

HiTempguy1
08-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Brand new 1/2 ton? Ford.

Any year diesel that will be used mostly on-road? GM.

Masked Bandit
08-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Are you looking to see what we have or recommendations on what you should buy? If it's the later we need to know a little bit about what you're going to do with it.

SKR
08-15-2011, 10:13 PM
I've rented a half ton Dodge this summer and put on 5000km. It was alright, but thirsty. Since then I've had a three quarter ton Dodge with a Hemi, and put on 13,000km. It's more thirsty, and wouldn't pull a dick out of a lard pail. I don't know if I'd spend my own money on either one.

I love my Duramax, but I don't get the feeling that you're looking for a diesel.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-15-2011, 10:15 PM
I work for GM and you better have big pockets if you want a Duramax.

J-D
08-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Personal truck? I'd go Chevy/GMC. Work Truck? Ford.

Mibz
08-15-2011, 10:24 PM
You're Asian. I don't care what you're using it for, you get a Tundra.

ExtraSlow
08-15-2011, 10:28 PM
THe GMC guys have a great on-road ride. But I'm a Ford guy.
F150 - Flat floor in back of crew cab. Excellent for bringing home that 56" TV, or hauling your tools around. Also, can get 6.5" box in the half ton, not available in the GMC.

Never liked the road manners or interior of the Dodges, so for me, they aren't even in the running.

If you are looking at 3/4 or 1 ton, you have to figure out gas vs diesel. I think unless you to huge loads regularly, you'll come out money ahead on the gas engines once you figure in the higher purchase, maintenance and fuel costs.

SKR
08-15-2011, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
I work for GM and you better have big pockets if you want a Duramax.

That can be said of all three diesels. I was pricing them out online a couple weeks ago and GM was actually the cheapest of the three. I don't remember if that was before or after incentives though.

tentacles
08-15-2011, 10:48 PM
The GM trucks have the best crash test ratings - 5 stars all around, even though they are the oldest of the three. Dodge is the worst, Ford a little better but both much worse than GM.

pickuptrucks.com has detailed comparisons of all three.

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2011/08/2011-heavy-duty-hurt-locker-introduction.html

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2010-v-6-work-truck-shootout.html

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2008/11/best-overall-ha.html

All the magazines, insideline, etc seem to like the Dodge the best because it has coil springs instead of leafs and so rides and drives a lot better than the others.

slinkie
08-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Big thumbs down for dodge

Sugarphreak
08-15-2011, 11:10 PM

HiTempguy1
08-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Dodge Diesel... just can't beat that engine for power, economy and reliability.

Lol.

Lol...lololololololol. You're trolling, right?

Shit, on the front page of beyond they just had a comparison, the dodge sucked the hind-tit in everything AND was the most expensive.

TomcoPDR
08-16-2011, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
What are you planning to tow?

Edit: It will provide some context to what size truck you need.

Just couple hundred pounds of dry tools (i.e. tool box, work tools)... no towing.

The employee pricings on now are pretty enticing...

- I like GM for brand
- Ford's new styling is pretty cool, both interior/exterior (best I like are the tailgate lines and the ridge on the top of tailgate, plus their built in tailgate step into the box, but I'm using a topper so that'll be useless to me)
- Dodge, the SPORT model is suppose to be pretty good value for the gadgets you get (compare to the other two)... and Dodge depreicate faster than above 2.

- Tundras are overprice, I'm really using this for WORK, as in the vehicle is being utilize as an equipment to help one make a living... so not using it as a "TOY".

And it's crazy with the amount of different options and packages out these, so much wasted time researching all this...

TacoMexicano
08-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Pickuptrucks.com just reviewed the diesels...

"The Ram’s exhaust brake and DEF-free NOx reduction approach are the standout performance features. The High Output 6.7-liter six-cylinder engine is a monster, but paired with the enhanced transmission, it feels the least refined of the group. Only half-jokingly, now that Allison Transmission is fully independent from GM, an Allison gearbox should be paired with the Cummins oil burner. The pair would be unstoppable."

Good engine, they just have to work on their Transmissions. Regardless, I'm all for the Ford, I've never been a fan of the GMC interiors

Edit: I believe the 6.7L I6 Cummins makes more torque then the Duramax too?

sxtasy
08-16-2011, 12:13 AM
If your carrying around light loads and don't want a toy, stick with a half ton. The maintenance costs of a diesel are much more expensive than the savings in fuel economy. If your looking at half tons I would only consider f-150 and GM 1500, GM being the better one IMO

TomcoPDR
08-16-2011, 12:34 AM
^^ :werd:

yea, no diesel... ignoring that not every station has them... and don't need pulling power

spikerS
08-16-2011, 06:22 AM
I would buy a brand new 2011 F-150 with the ECO Boost engine with the Max trailer tow package. That set up is good on gas, and when you need it to, with that tow package, can tow 11,200lbs off the bumper. (I know it is not really off the bumper).

Those ECO Boost engines are effin amazing, and are out performing a lot of other truck set ups, and the ECO Boost is only a V6!

I am hoping to buy mine in November.

benyl
08-16-2011, 06:54 AM
Buy my F150 so I can get an eco-boost... haha

redline
08-16-2011, 07:05 AM
F150 eco-boost, i love my titan, but on the weekend towing the trailer, one just blew past me like i was standing still he was towing a bigger trailer also....

for sure that is my next truck.

Masked Bandit
08-16-2011, 08:37 AM
It sounds like pretty much any truck will work in your situation so this thing is more like a moving office / light duty workshop.

Half ton gas all the way here, no question. The only problem with the F150 is that there a BILLION of the damn things on the road so if you buy new and try to sell it two, three or four years later you're in with so many other people that you pretty much have to give it away to sell it. If you are going to lease and just turn it in at the end of term then it's not a concern. My buddy was trying to get rid of his '04 F150 about three years ago and this was the problem he ran into so he kept it and is still driving it today.

CapnCrunch
08-16-2011, 09:04 AM
Ford seems pretty far ahead of the other brands right now. Even Toyota and Nissan.

hampstor
08-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Ford seems pretty far ahead of the other brands right now. Even Toyota and Nissan.

When it comes to trucks, I don't think Toyota and Nissan were ever close.

Sugarphreak
08-16-2011, 10:48 AM

sxtasy
08-16-2011, 11:32 AM

When the new diesel Dodge Ram was introduced, it changed everything. They were way cheaper to maintain because they stood up better to the rough roads, could haul more than ever before and a loaded dually dodge diesel can easily get 35+mpg on the highway. Complaining they don’t have enough power is pretty laughable. The major problem with Dodges is the brakes are high maintenance, they go through front rotors and pads like there is no tomorrow.
35 mpg is a pretty big exaggeration, you will be lucky to get 20mpg loaded, which is not bad. The Dodge diesels also eat through ball joints like no tomorrow.

KandabashiDevil
08-16-2011, 11:37 AM
People who still drive diesel vehicles are probably also still rubbing sticks together for fire to cook with.

Sugarphreak
08-16-2011, 11:43 AM

firebane
08-16-2011, 11:54 AM
My dad has a new 2500 dodge with the hemi. We stuck close to 12 tons on the back of the thing with a 5th wheel trailer and it sucked for pulling!

But then again it was 12 tons hahaha.

VWEvo
08-16-2011, 11:55 AM
I can weigh in on this as I just went through the whole decision myself.

I just am coming off my lease of my 2007 Toyota Tundra CrewMax. Awesome truck, loved it, but wanted something different, and a little smoother.

Engine wise, the Ford ecoboost v6 is tough to beat. Incredible engine, however, tough to find, and dealers are hardly negotiating on them.

Went to GM yesterday. Checked out the Sierra 1500 (5.3L v8) and the Chevy Avalanche. I was totally blown away how smooth these drive on the road, quiet and superbly comfortable. The Avalanche has alot of built in convienences and easily suited my needs. But here is the best part, the pricing.

$50 000 Avalanche
- $6500 GM employee pricing
- $7200 GM Manufacturer rebate
- $2500 Dealership negotiation
= $33 800

As awesome as the Ford may be, you can't beat the pricing of the GM. The Sierra is even cheaper to be honest, so I would highly recommend checking it out.

sxtasy
08-16-2011, 12:02 PM

Even with 200L of fuel in the tidy tank, tools and saws they swear up and down at getting 35mpg no problem out of them on the highway.

Actually come to think of it, my old man has an 06' diesel as his personal vehicle right now; not a dually, but it is a full crew cab w/ 8' box on it (you can imagine how long this thing is) I have seen it getting just under 40mpg when he has taken me out on the highway with it. He was telling me that lots of the guys are using plug in electronics to get even better on the fly economy as well. No question they get much better fuel economy than a gasser, but 35-40mpg everyday driving is not going to happen. I have a Cummins and everything done to it (tuner, exhaust, manual trans, highway tires etc) and low to mid 20's mpg is more realistic. Never trust the onboard computer for your mpg either. :)

Sugarphreak
08-16-2011, 12:23 PM

benyl
08-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Look at my sig. The onbaord computer says I am getting 15L / 100km. It's lying to you! haha

VWEvo
08-16-2011, 01:26 PM
TomcoPDR,

GSL had some hail damage last week, so they will likely give you another $1000 off since they wouldn't need to fix it for you.

Masked Bandit
08-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo
I can weigh in on this as I just went through the whole decision myself.

I just am coming off my lease of my 2007 Toyota Tundra CrewMax. Awesome truck, loved it, but wanted something different, and a little smoother.

Engine wise, the Ford ecoboost v6 is tough to beat. Incredible engine, however, tough to find, and dealers are hardly negotiating on them.

Went to GM yesterday. Checked out the Sierra 1500 (5.3L v8) and the Chevy Avalanche. I was totally blown away how smooth these drive on the road, quiet and superbly comfortable. The Avalanche has alot of built in convienences and easily suited my needs. But here is the best part, the pricing.

$50 000 Avalanche
- $6500 GM employee pricing
- $7200 GM Manufacturer rebate
- $2500 Dealership negotiation
= $33 800

As awesome as the Ford may be, you can't beat the pricing of the GM. The Sierra is even cheaper to be honest, so I would highly recommend checking it out.

Which trim level & dealership is this on?

TomcoPDR
08-17-2011, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by VWEvo
TomcoPDR,

GSL had some hail damage last week, so they will likely give you another $1000 off since they wouldn't need to fix it for you.

Pretty much most the time, labour hours/cost would be way more than the discount given at these "hail sales"... It might seem like I want one to fix my own hail damage??? But why lose labour where industry/insurance are paying proper labour cost for the work slave to repair someone elses???

This is like a slut giving it out for free while she could be out there getting paid doing the same shit.

TomcoPDR
08-17-2011, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Which trim level & dealership is this on?

Is there really a $2,500 flex on dealership negotiation?????

Darell_n
08-17-2011, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by sxtasy

35 mpg is a pretty big exaggeration, you will be lucky to get 20mpg loaded, which is not bad. The Dodge diesels also eat through ball joints like no tomorrow.

Solid axle ball-joints are extremely rare and expensive.

Cos
08-17-2011, 08:41 AM
I think you need a 1/2 ton. Dont do a 3/4 or 1 ton with the gasser. You will never be able to sell it.

My take:

- GM, good truck mechanically. Shitty ride and shitty horrible interior.
- Dodge. Probably the best interior. By far the best options for the price. Horrible engine and fit/finish.
- Ford. Probably the second best interior. Nice options but you pay for it (Platinum only way to get AC seats). Best lineup of new engines but they are just that.... new. No one really knows how they are going to be.

Personally I would try and find a 2010 F150 with the 5.4L with the 6-speed manual. Next best I would stay with the 5.0L. I love the ecoboost, will probably buy one in a few years, but would never EVER buy a turbo v6 in a truck in it's first year.

ExtraSlow
08-17-2011, 09:11 AM
you don't like the ride in the GMC?

Shlade
08-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Got a 2010 SLT ram 1500. Interior is by far the best looking IMO from the other trucks. I don't get how you can call the Hemi a shitty engine Cos, the thing pulls. Very reliable, good highway mileage, decent in the city (you want great gas mileage get a fucking Prius it's a 5.7 V8) I love how the body lines look as per the exterior. Dodge and chevy have to be the best looking exterior I think. The new F150 body style just doesn't do it for me. Go try out the trucks. See what you like best.

Cos
08-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
you don't like the ride in the GMC?

I LOVED our work truck when we first got them (one sierra and one silvy). It is great to go from here to Red Deer or around there. Drive in it for 5/6 hours and it just kills me. I get tired and really sore. Driving to Elk Water or Drayton or even farther I just typically take my Ford.

I bought a truck after we got our work trucks. I loved driving a truck. I DIDNT buy a GM just because of the experience I had with our work trucks. It was between Dodge and Ford for me (Toyota was WAY to much money at the time).

Originally posted by Shlade
Got a 2010 SLT ram 1500. Interior is by far the best looking IMO from the other trucks. I don't get how you can call the Hemi a shitty engine Cos, the thing pulls. Very reliable, good highway mileage, decent in the city (you want great gas mileage get a fucking Prius it's a 5.7 V8) I love how the body lines look as per the exterior. Dodge and chevy have to be the best looking exterior I think. The new F150 body style just doesn't do it for me. Go try out the trucks. See what you like best.

The GM interior reminds me of the old dodge interior. One piece dash. All plastic all one colour. Useless.

The ram engine is powerful but very inefficient on fuel. The Prius argument works against ALL trucks. One on one comparisons for the truck you can compare fuel economy. The dodge is the worst. A guy at work has one and already has trim issues.

The older GM's (early 2000's) were great. They had the best interior and ride. The GM trucks have not been updated at all.

benyl
08-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Personally I would try and find a 2010 F150 with the 5.4L with the 6-speed manual.

That is a unicorn.

Cos
08-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by benyl

That is a unicorn.

Derrr you are right. Ignore the manual part.....

Sugarphreak
08-17-2011, 12:04 PM

Aleks
08-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Cos

I LOVED our work truck when we first got them (one sierra and one silvy). It is great to go from here to Red Deer or around there. Drive in it for 5/6 hours and it just kills me. I get tired and really sore. Driving to Elk Water or Drayton or even farther I just typically take my Ford.

I bought a truck after we got our work trucks. I loved driving a truck. I DIDNT buy a GM just because of the experience I had with our work trucks. It was between Dodge and Ford for me (Toyota was WAY to much money at the time).

The GM interior reminds me of the old dodge interior. One piece dash. All plastic all one colour. Useless.

The ram engine is powerful but very inefficient on fuel. The Prius argument works against ALL trucks. One on one comparisons for the truck you can compare fuel economy. The dodge is the worst. A guy at work has one and already has trim issues.

The older GM's (early 2000's) were great. They had the best interior and ride. The GM trucks have not been updated at all.

EPA fuel econ on the Hemi Ram is 13 mpg city 19 mpg hiway vs Ford 5.0 V8 of 14 mpg city 19 mpg hiway.

To me that's pretty much the same. Unless the EPA test favours the HEMI in the test cycle somehow :dunno:

tentacles
08-17-2011, 12:36 PM
That's with the 5 speed. The Ram, V8 Durango and V8 Grand Cherokee are going to 6 speed for MY 2012.5.

The Ram always seems to be a little cheaper than the Ford when similarly equipped? :dunno:

RecoilS14
08-17-2011, 07:39 PM
I chose GM. I owned a 2005 1500HD Sierra with the 6.0L Vortech for 2.5yrs and ran it as a work truck while I was a Well Tester.

I regularly pulled a 40' long flare stack with 160m of 4" flare line on it. It weighed a little under 10,000lbs, which is far higher rated than its towing capacity. I pulled these stacks for probably around 20,000km of the 120ish thousand I put on it all through the mountains between Hinton and Grande Prairie. Now I'm not saying it pulled them up the mountains with tons of power but I could hold 100km/hr in high rpm if I chose to, but I rarely did as Blowing up my transmission is not my idea of a good time. I usually went 80.

I got forced off the road in the ditch by large trucks multiple times and powered out of the ditch. As well I pulled lots of trucks out of the ditch.

My PVC valve froze when I was driving between Edmonton and Whitecourt; which built up pressure in my crankcase and blew the oil out the dipstick. The engine didn't seize and worked like a champ after the oil was refilled and a breather cap put on. The temp outside was -49C when it happened and it sat with 500ml of oil in the the crank case for 4hrs waiting for a bed truck which turned out to be a tow truck....

I also had a lot of fun on the quiet mountain logging roads when it was safe to.

Needless to say, I abused the hell out of the truck and it was stock aside from the tires and it kept on ticking like the god damn Energizer bunny. I did regular maintenance, including brakes and I replaced the shocks and springs at 80,000k.

The engine, transmission, and diffs all held up to the abuse and kept going. I think i had about 145,000km on it when it finally started showing signs of the abuse. The transmission started to slip a bit every now and then and it started to get a bit of piston slap. The body and under carriage held up to a shit ton of abuse. Nothing ever fell off, pulled, broke in anyway. I had minor rust spots from rock chips on the bumper.

Obviously, towing and abuse did most of the damage and is not my point. My point is I abused the living shit out of that truck and it should have fallen apart and died more times than I can count. The truck was like Rocky in Rocky 3, not the most power or the biggest guy but it will fuck shit up.

+1 for GM Trucks, and only trucks.

I will say that Ford has the best looking and trucks and not getting bailed out makes them more attractive to me currently, but I will look at a GM first when I buy my next truck.

SKR
08-17-2011, 09:51 PM
I actually like my GMC's interior, except for the plastic woodgrain. Even that is growing on me. But I like it because it's simple. The other two dashes are too busy with dials and buttons and contrasting colors and different textures. I don't like that shit at all.

My '11 Dodge work truck has the most fucking annoying interior I've ever had to deal with. I always drive with one hand on the wheel and one hand on the shift lever. The palm of my hand rests on the tap shift, or whatever the fuck it's called. I'll be driving down the road and next thing I know the truck is at redline because I accidentally shifted it down to first gear.

And there's a light in the overhead console that I don't know how to shut off. I don't know why it's there or what purpose it serves. It's not bright enough to be able to read anything, but it's bright enough to be a pain in the ass when you're driving at night.

Plus there's the big jesus key. Why not just have one normal key, instead of that shitheap? If the battery shits the bed you're fucked, so you have to carry the normal key with you. And you need it for the tailgate lock anyway. So shitcan the big plastic key and use a normal key.

Sugarphreak
08-17-2011, 10:29 PM

ExtraSlow
08-18-2011, 06:23 AM
Those switches at the bottom of the first picture are "upfitter switches." So when you get aftermarket off-road lights, winch, portable air compressor etc, you can use those switches and not have to hack up the dash of your truck. It's a good idea for the people who are planning on customizing their trucks.

And while the Ford interior does have a lot going on, it's very familiar to anyone who's driven a ford truck in the last eight years or so. My 05 has the same basic layout, minus the screens.

In the end, interior is had to compare objectively. Most people like what they are used to.

Cos
08-18-2011, 09:08 AM

+1

I am a big fan of simple! That is one thing I really like about my GM truck (H3T). The interior is super clean, even with all the extra equipment like bluetooth, electronic transfer case and locker controls it isn't cluttered up.

These are pictures of my actual interior:

These are pictures of a Ford Raptor Interior:
The number of buttons and controls in that truck are overwhelming. I sat in one about a year ago and just remember shaking my head at it.

Lol comparing your truck to a raptor, those are the fan boy vehicles of the truck world. No normal interior looks like that. Lets see the GM version of the raptor (I cant remember the name) and it's interior....

Work Truck:
http://image.automobilemag.com/f/2008_gmc_sierra/2309158602040751640+ppromo_amag_large/cockpit.jpg

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/38642529.jpg

Compared to (my actual truck):

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l183/brendankharris/2011-08-18084429.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l183/brendankharris/2011-08-18084411.jpg

HiTempguy1
08-18-2011, 09:08 AM

Laggy acceleration (although most auto's feel like that),

Nothing at all to do with that actually. All new vehicles (but especially trucks, and ESPECIALLY GM trucks) do this because of electronic torque management. If you get HP tuners and remove all torque management, it drives like a normal truck with a throttle cable.

My father bought a 2004 quad cab GMC 1/2 ton. While he liked it, he didn't understand why he'd give the truck gas and it would hesitate and then "lunge" from a standing start. I used HP Tuners to remove the torque management, and voila! Drove perfect :D

GOnSHO
08-18-2011, 09:13 AM
See i am a chevy/GM guy through and through, but i love my new RAM, its got great pickup, lots of towing power and the interior is pretty nice.

for the price they wanted for a silverado, i just walked off the lot, it was ridiculous, went to the dodge dealership, looked at a couple trucks, good prices, good incentives and were willing to move on their prices as well

the new body style is amazing (personal preference obviously) and they sound great. and who doesnt love a Hemi! haha

my dad has a ford as a work truck and i just am not a fan of it at all. i hate the thing they did with the side windows and the notch thing, i dont even know what to call it.

Cos
08-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by GOnSHO
my dad has a ford as a work truck and i just am not a fan of it at all. i hate the thing they did with the side windows and the notch thing, i dont even know what to call it.

I used to hate it as well but it is great for resting your hand on high up while giving you low down visibility

Sugarphreak
08-18-2011, 09:24 AM

Cos
08-18-2011, 09:38 AM

Yeah I don't dig that GM interior you posted, looks like the rental trucks I had to use.

I had to post that picutre because I just remember being really overwhelmed at the hundreds of buttons the first time I sat in a Raptor, lol.

Still, my point is Ford tends to put way more buttons on the dash than the other two manufacturers. It ends up feeling cluttered to me.

BTW, COS.... your truck is missing the most important button of all, the clutch pedal!

Agreed that is a grype. Cannot get a fully loaded 4x4, 5.4, Lariat with a manual.

Also I do agree on the buttons. That is why I got the Nav and Auto Climate control. Cleaned up the buttons a ton!

RecoilS14
08-18-2011, 06:50 PM
I would totally recommend you get a Quad Cab. No matter what make you choose, extended cab will not satisfy. Having four doors is god send most days, especially if the rear seats are split folding.

I believe the cost for it is justifiable. Having a truck with no room on the inside sucks. With four doors you either get a shorter box or a longer truck. I had a longer truck and it was a bitch to park but it was better than having stuff sitting next to me.

Cos
08-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by RecoilS14
I would totally recommend you get a Quad Cab. No matter what make you choose, extended cab will not satisfy. Having four doors is god send most days, especially if the rear seats are split folding.

I believe the cost for it is justifiable. Having a truck with no room on the inside sucks. With four doors you either get a shorter box or a longer truck. I had a longer truck and it was a bitch to park but it was better than having stuff sitting next to me.

Agreed 100%, sometimes I hate the look of how long it is but I have yet to wish for more room and honestly it isnt that hard to park.

TomcoPDR
08-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Looks like Ford won by a landslide.

Ah, got a GM anyways... thanks for the inputs. Yea, it was either a Ford or GM to begin with.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/IMG_0181.jpg

RecoilS14
08-21-2011, 06:10 AM
Time for some good tires on that guy now.

corsvette
08-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Nice looking truck. Between Ford and GM you really can't go wrong either way, and its wise not to buy a Ford first year with a brand new engine design anyway.

Cos
08-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by corsvette
Nice looking truck. Between Ford and GM you really can't go wrong either way, and its wise not to buy a Ford first year with a brand new engine design anyway.

:werd:

Great truck man. Like I said, I prefer my Ford but in no way is the GMC a POS.

HiTempguy1
08-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Tomco, what swayed you to the GM/Chebby? My friend is looking at buying a brand new 1/2 ton 4x4 and is comparing Ford's to Chevy's. Was it price, drivetrain, ride quality, build quality?

He really wants the 4.8L V8, but you can't get it with the 6 speed. And the Ford V6 makes as much jam and comes with the 6 speed :nut:

dirtsniffer
08-23-2011, 03:51 PM
know what truck i want? a ranger with the ecoboost v6. 2wd :hijack:

TomcoPDR
08-24-2011, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Tomco, what swayed you to the GM/Chebby? My friend is looking at buying a brand new 1/2 ton 4x4 and is comparing Ford's to Chevy's. Was it price, drivetrain, ride quality, build quality?

He really wants the 4.8L V8, but you can't get it with the 6 speed. And the Ford V6 makes as much jam and comes with the 6 speed :nut:

- Brand loyalty (kinda chessy)

- (and yea, kinda dumb), I "know the dealer" lol lol (which probably means I paid more, lol, but I don't wanna talk about it)

- I've driven ALL 3 brands listed, fully loaded, working on customers vehicles, so I don't even need to test drive at dealerships... they all have their goods and bads... (I'd take the fully loaded Dodge Larmine ride, with Ford's interior, with GM Denali exterior, lol)

- Make sure he test drives the 5.3 and 4.8 back to back... (TO ME) I notice a huge difference... and even with the 5.3 now, I'm missing my old 6.0 (Denali Yukon) Only reason I sold is cuz it was higher miles, I work on the road, employee pricing that's going on this month.

- I actually like the ride height (interior seating) of the Ford, the cushion sits you higher for shorter dudes... the GM's are more for 6' + white, black guys.

- Like the Poll results, Ford actually do have some good/cool features... (the tailgate built in step into the box), the SYNC system is a pretty cool tech toy (one of the work guys got a new LIMITED F-150 last month), the center console has a built in "iPhone" indented holder...

- Drivetrain, I like F-150 (Ford) better, it's really "quick" and responsive at acceleration than the other 2.

Yea more or less in sum, it's just a work truck, so I could had used any of the 3, lol... So easier just to stick with 1 brand and deal with the same dealer trying to be a "hero", lol... but I might go with something else next time just for the hell of it... maybe Kia will get into the truck market.

ExtraSlow
08-24-2011, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
- Brand loyalty (kinda chessy)
That's huge for pickup truck buyers.
I learned to drive on a 1972 F250, so I drive ford trucks now.
If you think handa fanboys are passionate about thier civics, just try to talk a ford guy into buying a dodge.

Rat Fink
08-28-2011, 09:08 PM

nagooro
09-26-2011, 11:07 PM
Does anyone here have a f150 ecoboost? After some googleing, it seems like alot of people are having issues with a "shuddering" when downshifting.