PDA

View Full Version : FWD vs AWD dsm

Strider
01-21-2004, 01:55 PM
I'm currently looking for 1g AWD DSM, and i'm having a hell of a time finding an affordable one. So I started asking myself if I really even need AWD, since it probably uses more gas anyways.

What are the pros and cons to AWD vs FWD dsms?

So far...

AWD
-better traction (winter)

FWD
-better fuel economy?

403Gemini
01-21-2004, 02:17 PM
AWD
faster off the line
FWD
not as much shit to fix

hjr
01-21-2004, 02:23 PM
man they are everywhere! i always run across them. there are tones with snapped timing belts in the j-yards too. ill kepp my eyes open for ya.

EK 2.0
01-21-2004, 02:43 PM
As soon as you start seriously moddong your DSM if you plan to...the FWD will just wheel spin, as they dont as far as I can remember come with LSD's...

The AWD will give you amazing traction, off of the line, and incredibly wicked looking launches to boot...:burnout:

Yes there is a bit more drivline drag with the AWD so your fuel economy will go out the window, but I mean if we are modding then who kinda cares right, more stuff to repair and maintain with the AWD, but all in all more fun to drive in All Seasons...

If you can wait for one, then certainly do and get an AWD...it is totally worth it man...

Ask any DSMer...any REAL DSMer...traction is traction...whether up a hill or in the snow...

Oh BTW...check out this site it may help your search...

CalgaryDSM (www.calg.dsm.org)

1badPT
01-21-2004, 02:48 PM
DSM's are great platforms to work with. What are you planning to do with it? If rally or drag racing appeals to you, I'd get the settle for nothing less than the AWD. If its mostly a daily driver and perhaps an autocross vehicle, you could settle for the FWD.

From what I've heard, there isn't much difference in reliability or gas mileage between the two drivetrains. If you go FWD, your main advantage should be the lower cost of the vehicle. Just make sure it will still do what you want it to do.

Strider
01-21-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by hjr
man they are everywhere! i always run across them. there are tones with snapped timing belts in the j-yards too. ill kepp my eyes open for ya.

Thanks... but if the timing belt is snapped, then isn't the engine most likely dead?

Originally posted by CycloneAWD
As soon as you start seriously moddong your DSM if you plan to...the FWD will just wheel spin, as they dont as far as I can remember come with LSD's...

The AWD will give you amazing traction, off of the line, and incredibly wicked looking launches to boot...:burnout:

Yes there is a bit more drivline drag with the AWD so your fuel economy will go out the window, but I mean if we are modding then who kinda cares right, more stuff to repair and maintain with the AWD, but all in all more fun to drive in All Seasons...

If you can wait for one, then certainly do and get an AWD...it is totally worth it man...

Ask any DSMer...any REAL DSMer...traction is traction...whether up a hill or in the snow...

Oh BTW...check out this site it may help your search...

CalgaryDSM (www.calg.dsm.org)

Thanks, I'll check out that site

I will probably be using the car as a daily driver, and don't plan to mod until i graduate and start making some money (2 years).

CRX-R
01-21-2004, 05:48 PM

HAHAHA not bad man:thumbsup:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

EK 2.0
01-21-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Strider

Thanks... but if the timing belt is snapped, then isn't the engine most likely dead?

See whats cool about DSM's is that there are a lot of mods you can do for free or almost NO CASH...Take a look at the links I will give you at the end of this post and read...if you have questions or whatever just PM me man...

And as far as the motor being dead, yeah, but you can pick them up for real cheap and rebuild the motor for not a lot of cash man...Just an option...

Originally posted by CRX-R

HAHAHA not bad man:thumbsup:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks...I try...:D

africano
01-21-2004, 06:14 PM
AWD all the way. Just think of it this way, if Subaru made a FWD WRX STI who would buy it. awd is a great advantage to have, when it's launching or in the corners.

EK 2.0
01-21-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by africano
AWD all the way. Just think of it this way, if Subaru made a FWD WRX STI who would buy it. awd is a great advantage to have, when it's launching or in the corners.

Yes, BUT the Subaru, or the All-Trac's AWD systems is a lil different than that of a DSM...

In the Subaru its..."from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip"

In the Toyota's case...its a 50/50 split front to rear

With the DSM its a 70/30 split front to rear not the coolest for corner carving, BUT, still better than FWD alone...

T5_X
01-21-2004, 09:00 PM

And as far as the motor being dead, yeah, but you can pick them up for real cheap and rebuild the motor for not a lot of cash man...Just an option...

They're interference engines?

EK 2.0
01-21-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by T5_X

They're interference engines?

Yes, and I KNOW cause I learned the HARD WAY...:(

But rebuild it, yank the balance shafts, and eliminate that problem of the balance shaft belt snapping and you are good to go...

Spyderman_MaryJ
01-22-2004, 10:06 AM
If you've spent this much time waiting and looking, I'd hold out for an AWD. You might burn a LITTLE more fuel, but you will more than make up for it in performance/traction. I think you will be happier if you wait for an AWD.

just my $0.02..

switch
01-22-2004, 10:17 AM
AWD, I have never looked back.

Mikko
01-22-2004, 10:34 AM

Yes, BUT the Subaru, or the All-Trac's AWD systems is a lil different than that of a DSM...

In the Subaru its..."from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip"

In the Toyota's case...its a 50/50 split front to rear

With the DSM its a 70/30 split front to rear not the coolest for corner carving, BUT, still better than FWD alone...

Ah no. Subaru has 50/50 torque split to front and rear. Then depending on what model it has limited slip differentials or open differentials (out of the three places one can put them).

I believe the Eclipse has 60 front 40 rear torque split (makes it more prone to understeer and forget about proper powersliding). And then of course, unequal length driveshafts. No matter 4WD or FWD one probably gets naughty torque steer from that thing. As for what differentials it has, I don't know.

InfraRed
02-05-2004, 02:30 AM
If you're going to be street racing AWD is the only way to go. I've raced a few awd & rwd vehicles. I don't race anymore. If you're going to be driving in the snow AWD is the only way to go. Aside from racing & snow AWD kinda sucks. You will get better gas mileage in a fwd & you'll get up hills better also. fwd put more power to the wheels than awd cars.

BigMass
03-28-2004, 09:42 PM
FWD. Then you can chirp the tires in 2nd. Hey, i gotta look forward to something right?

All in all there is nothing wrong with FWD. Some people make it out way worse than it is. FWD DSMs are 300lbs lighter than AWD and have less drive train loss. On Deerfoot or anywhere i need the juice it pulls harder than an AWD from the roll. I've driven FWD almost all my life and i have no trouble easing off the line without burning out my tires and still having the car pull real hard. FWD is good, just learn to drive it properly.

There are a lot of nice FWD DMSs for sale on this forum that never get sold. Personally, i would rather own a FWD DSM in good shape, body and mechanically, over an AWD rust bucket that's on it's last legs which most of the ones i've seen for sale here are.

Nice 1G DSMs are almost impossible to find now adays. If you're going to be picky about getting a nice 1G and having AWD you might be waiting a long time or paying a big premium.

Just some tips. AWD is definitely nice, but some people make it out to be the be all and end all which is not true.

pr0
03-28-2004, 10:05 PM
The AWD DSMs sound like trucks (really loud) and tend to break down more. I think most of the turbo DSMs also have the crankwalk issue which you should watch out for.

BigMass
03-28-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by pr0
The AWD DSMs sound like trucks (really loud) and tend to break down more. I think most of the turbo DSMs also have the crankwalk issue which you should watch out for.

Nothing to do with with turbo. It's the 2nd Gens and the 7 bolt engines.

Strider
03-29-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
FWD. Then you can chirp the tires in 2nd. Hey, i gotta look forward to something right?

All in all there is nothing wrong with FWD. Some people make it out way worse than it is. FWD DSMs are 300lbs lighter than AWD and have less drive train loss. On Deerfoot or anywhere i need the juice it pulls harder than an AWD from the roll. I've driven FWD almost all my life and i have no trouble easing off the line without burning out my tires and still having the car pull real hard. FWD is good, just learn to drive it properly.

There are a lot of nice FWD DMSs for sale on this forum that never get sold. Personally, i would rather own a FWD DSM in good shape, body and mechanically, over an AWD rust bucket that's on it's last legs which most of the ones i've seen for sale here are.

Nice 1G DSMs are almost impossible to find now adays. If you're going to be picky about getting a nice 1G and having AWD you might be waiting a long time or paying a big premium.

Just some tips. AWD is definitely nice, but some people make it out to be the be all and end all which is not true.

Originally posted by pr0

Thanks for the advice guys, but I already picked up an 1g AWD Talon. Its a 1g 6 bolt I believe, so no worries about crankwalk...
and no, it doesn't sound like a truck :dunno:

EK 2.0
03-29-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by pr0

I'm sorry basing this one what man??

It seems you take info and regurgitate it and dont verify prior to posting man...

90_Shelby
03-29-2004, 11:21 AM
PM me if you are interested in a FWD DSM with a 16G and many other mods. The car has run high 13's and it's going to be for sale.....

pr0
03-29-2004, 01:29 PM
I've owned 3 DSM's two which were AWD, and 2 of them were 2G. They both (AWD) sounded like trucks. Both had the crankwalk issue.

Now on my 3rd, its an n/a. Insurance is a bitch on turbo vehicles.

EK 2.0
03-29-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by pr0
I've owned 2 DSM's both AWD, and both 2G. They both sounded like trucks. Both had the crank issue.

Ok first off you have only owned 2G's, and have nothing to base the 1G crank issues on...

Secondly, what does a truck sound like, and WHY would an AWD sound different than a FWD??...They have the exact same factors that contribute to exhaust sound...

The crank issue, sorry that you had to deal with it in both your DSM's but is very, VERY much blown way outta proportion...

Please dont go posting your opionins and pass them off as law, state that this is the issue you had, and thei si what MY DSM sounded like, you make it sound like ALL DSM's have crankwalk, and ALL DSM's are pieces, when my DSM has been really good to me, as have a lot of DSM's I have had expirience with...

pr0
03-29-2004, 11:43 PM
Just my experience with DSM's, not saying its law or its going to happen.

DonJuan
03-30-2004, 11:50 PM
Where is heavyD when his opinion may matter?

boostedDsm
03-31-2004, 02:03 AM
heavy d is havin mecanical troubles i believe

EK 2.0
03-31-2004, 10:09 AM
Uhmmm also to let you all know, the kid who started this thread already picked up his DSM...

Strider
03-31-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Strider

Thanks for the advice guys, but I already picked up an 1g AWD Talon. Its a 1g 6 bolt I believe, so no worries about crankwalk...
and no, it doesn't sound like a truck :dunno:

Uhmmm also to let you all know, the kid who started this thread already picked up his DSM...

:werd:
but who you calling a kid??:whipped:

SJC
03-31-2004, 03:20 PM
Arif, just so you know...it is 50/50 split with DSM's...

The original brochure:

EK 2.0
03-31-2004, 03:48 PM
Sorry Pete, I was always under the assumption it was a 70/30 split, thanks for informing me of otherwise...

SJC
03-31-2004, 04:20 PM
Is that thinly veiled sarcasm I detect... ;)

heavyD
03-31-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by DonJuan
Where is heavyD when his opinion may matter?

Sorry about the late response. AWD is better for drag racing and is the better all around platform. FWD is faster on the highway and from a rolling start due to less driveline loss, 300 lbs (on average) less weight and longer gearing.

Yes my car is out of commision for the moment. I was playing with different boost settings Sunday morning and spun a bearing. I now have a bad case of rod knock. Not sure if I will do a full rebuild w/forged internals on my 7-bolt or do the 6-bolt swap. Either way it sucks to happen when spring arrives and also on my wallet.:(

EK 2.0
03-31-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by SJC
Is that thinly veiled sarcasm I detect... ;)

Of course not Peter, why whatever do you mean??:D