PDA

View Full Version : Rest in Peace, Rick Rypien.

Canucks3322
08-15-2011, 07:48 PM
:( He was about to start fresh again with the Jets this season too...RIP

08-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Is there a cause of death?

Benny
08-15-2011, 08:15 PM
Sad story

RIP :(

skandalouz_08
08-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Sounds like suicide due to depression as per tsn report. So sad though. RIP

dezmarez
08-15-2011, 08:37 PM
http://www.news1130.com/sports/article/264538--former-canuck-rick-rypien-found-dead#.TknU8RJ0hls.twitter

r3ccOs
08-16-2011, 07:47 AM
I was told by a pretty good source, I'm not one to start rumours, but that the first time he had taken "personal time" off last season was because he had witnessed a good friend take his own life in front of him.

I thought this might have been a load of crock story myself, but my buddy knew him in the minors and majors...

Tik-Tok
08-16-2011, 07:51 AM
I'd be depressed too, if I had to move to Winnipeg.

C_Dave45
08-16-2011, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I'd be depressed too, if I had to move to Winnipeg.
Classy.

I also heard from a friend of a friend that he had a pretty rough upbringing. Who knows what kind of skeletons were in his closet. That poor kid. His family must be going through hell today. Thoughts and prayers.

spikerS
08-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

I also heard from a friend of a friend that he had a pretty rough upbringing. Who knows what kind of skeletons were in his closet. That poor kid. His family must be going through hell today. Thoughts and prayers.

:werd:

RIP to him. :(

Anton
08-16-2011, 09:42 AM
RIP.

Great hockey fighter. No wonder he was so good at it...probably had a lot of aggression.

Edit: Video

eY85StVyaRE

Tik-Tok
08-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Classy.

Classier than most murder/accidental death jokes on Beyond.
Anyways, I have no pity for suicides.

sputnik
08-16-2011, 11:11 AM

Does that mean you have no pity for those struggling with mental illness or histories of abuse?

desi112
08-16-2011, 11:25 AM

Classier than most murder/accidental death jokes on Beyond.

You do have a valid point.

I just hope his rope didn't rip.

viff3r
08-16-2011, 11:52 AM
R.Y.P.

I wasn't a fan of his, mainly because I hate the Canucks, but every time I saw him fight he would just demolish his opponent. I remember the few times he fought Prust, he made Prust his bitch. He seemed to be doing very well with the Moose last season and I'm sure the Jets fans would have loved to have him patrolling the ice this year.

Another enforcer bites the dust...

sputnik
08-17-2011, 07:19 AM
LOL @ Prust

hLdMZf9LuFI

Tik-Tok
08-17-2011, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Does that mean you have no pity for those struggling with mental illness or histories of abuse?

I have sympathy for those people, however not all people with mental illness, or histories of abuse commit suicide. There's a lot of help available, especially for people who have money.

sputnik
08-17-2011, 07:39 AM

I have sympathy for those people, however not all people with mental illness, or histories of abuse commit suicide. There's a lot of help available, especially for people who have money.

Seriously. So rich people have no excuse to be depressed or suffer from depression? Nice.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/columnists/rypien-lost-a-fight-few--can-fathom-127922903.html

Tik-Tok
08-17-2011, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
[B]

Seriously. So rich people have no excuse to be depressed or suffer from depression? Nice.

:facepalm: Did I say that? No. You read what you wanted to read.

I mentioned the money part, because help is NOT CHEAP. It's easier for a rich man to get psychological help, then a single-mother of 3 working 2 jobs to feed her kids.

max_boost
08-17-2011, 08:15 AM
The mind is its own place, it can make a heaven of hell and a hell of heaven. (John Milton).

No one knows what Rypien went through. Yes he may have had the resources to deal with this better than most but it's not like he didn't try, this battle was much greater and I just hope he's in a better place.

Nothing against you Tik-Tok, you are entitled to your opinion. I know some call it cowardly but I look at it as courage. The shit one must be going through to have the courage to just say fuck it and end it all.

RIP RR

JRSC00LUDE
08-17-2011, 10:29 AM

You don't need to have pity, no one asks for it. What you should have is some compassion and understanding for those who end up walking down that road.

Dave P
08-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Prob the only canuck i liked

sad story

Tik-Tok
08-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

You don't need to have pity, no one asks for it. What you should have is some compassion and understanding for those who end up walking down that road.

I've been down that road, I've come back from that road. I don't consider it cowardice, I don't consider it courage. I have sympathy for the family, not the person.

I guess I should re-iterate my previous comment, that it's funny Beyond will have 2 pages of bad death puns over an elderly lady who had an accidental death, or several pages of bad death puns over the guy who publicly committed suicide in downtown Calgary, but as soon as a Famous NHL'er does it, you all start waving a finger at my off-colour remark.

JRSC00LUDE
08-17-2011, 11:55 AM

I've been down that road, I've come back from that road. I don't consider it cowardice, I don't consider it courage. I have sympathy for the family, not the person.

I guess I should re-iterate my previous comment, that it's funny Beyond will have 2 pages of bad death puns over an elderly lady who had an accidental death, or several pages of bad death puns over the guy who publicly committed suicide in downtown Calgary, but as soon as a Famous NHL'er does it, you all start waving a finger at my off-colour remark.

So have I. That's exactly why I do have sympathy for the persons that haven't come back from that walk. :)

I hear what you're saying about the comments although I rarely get pissy about puns and jokes as I sometimes make them myself..... :eek: I do tend to get pissy about the typical comments made by those who really have absolutely no ability to comprehend the things that bring people to those points of life and death.

Sasuke_Kensai
08-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Ever since codetrap or Cdave (forget which) called Beyond out on the death jokes it seems they've been taken down a notch. It's only been a few days though, could just be a coincidence.

I haven't been down that path so I can't say, but I would guess someone who's contemplating suicide is likely to be beyond the point of logical thinking?

desi112
08-19-2011, 08:05 AM
i guess he pulled the ryp cord.