PDA

View Full Version : Teaching a grown man how to cook

Super_Geo
08-16-2011, 09:52 PM
What is the best way to learn how to cook? I don't really know where to start, I've picked some random recipes from food.com but find that my shitty (ie: zero) understanding of technique usually ends up ruining a bunch of otherwise edible food.

What do you guys suggest for a good starting point? I'm looking for anything from a book to a class. Looked up SAIT and they have cooking classes, but they're part of a 2 year diploma program and I don't think you can take them on the side (http://sait.ca/cometosait/academic/diplomas/acpk.shtml). Even a good series of Youtube videos would probably work, or a thorough cook book that doesn't just have recipes but explains the proper way to cook meats/vegetables/etc.

D'z Nutz
08-16-2011, 10:00 PM
What can you make? What do you like? I think the first step is to start with the basics and add to it gradually.

allrecipes.com is a great site for recipes.

Super_Geo
08-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
What can you make? What do you like? I think the first step is to start with the basics and add to it gradually.

I can make things on the BBQ... steaks, burgers, cedar planked salmon, etc... basically anything that you just flip and put sauce on.

I'm with you on learning the basics first, which is why I was thinking of taking classes. Even a good book (or preferably a series of videos) on cooking fundamentals would be pretty helpful.

I think I've hit the point where it's no longer acceptable to eat out for every meal just cause I haven't bothered learning how to cook... that being said, the things that I do know how to cook and enjoy eating are few and far between.

dj_rice
08-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Just watch lots of FoodTV

I actually took that PCK course back in the day when I thought I wanted to be a chef. You did learn ALOT about culinary arts and techniques but I think this course is a lil too extensive and expensive for you if you just want to learn how to cook. Since I've taken this course, I speak from experience and in no way did I learn how to cook from taking that program. I already had the know-how to cook from taking Home Ec in junior high/high school and PCK just hones and develops your skills further.

So I would not recommend taking the PCK course just to learn how to cook.

calgarygts
08-16-2011, 10:28 PM
I"ve signed up for the continuing education class 'fundamentals of cooking' at SAIT this fall. For $400 you get five classes, three hours per class. The classes cover knife handling and care, proteins, soups and stocks, vegetables and I can't remember what else.
I figure it's a good way to learn how to cook properly. Might seem expensive but I'll hopefully learn something I'll use my whole life.

Super_Geo
08-16-2011, 10:44 PM
That is exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks man, I'm going to sign up tomorrow. Looks like Sept13-Oct11 is full, is that the one you're in?

http://register.sait.ca/saitApp/calendar/coned/courseContent.jsp?calendarType=coned&courseCode=COOK-130&startTerm=000000

HiTempguy1
08-16-2011, 11:09 PM
As someone said, watch TV/youtube. Find meals you like, that look appetizing, and cook! They won't turn out perfect the first (or second... or third... or you get the idea), but practice makes perfect.

One thing I have found to be CRITICAL! HAVE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB! Unfortunately, this part is kind of pricey. For Christmas, since there are such good deals on, I usually ask for cooking utensils/pots and pans (it adds up, having a frying pan, a wok, different sized stainless steel bowls, measuring spoons/cups, knives, strainers, graters, etc etc). It really sucks when you try to do a recipe and have no way to do a certain step because you don't have the proper tool.

After that, make sure you have the right ingredients. Honest to god, it's funny of how lots of cookbooks go "all of these things can be found at your local grocery store". I live 1 minute from a Save-On-Foods, and let me tell you, they sometimes don't have the simplest shit/spices you require. The nice thing is that once you acquire a lot of ingredients, they'll last you a long time!

And finally, cooking for one person sucks. Even making a simple stir fry tends to take more time/effort cleaning up than actually cooking/preparing the meal. I hate cooking for one. I know some people will say "make extra, freeze it", well I hate that too! :P But over the course of the next 6 months, I am working on getting into a routine of EVERYTHING I eat will be cooked by myself. Being able to make tasty meals is a must :D

CompletelyNumb
08-16-2011, 11:16 PM
Food network man!

I've always been a good cook, both parents were so maybe that made it easier. But I watch food network all the time to learn new techniques and recipes. Having a palette for flavours and spices helps immensely, but after a while you just know what goes good together.

adidas
08-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Just have a go at it.

Some of the best stuff that i have made have been from experimenting and adding this and that to dishes.

Maybe start off with making pasta, its easy and you cant mess it up. Steam some veggies, make ur own sauce, etc., you get the idea.

Do a lemon chicken in the oven with some potatoes, a few herbs, essentially rose-marine, salt, pepper, lemon juice, cut potatoes lengthwise into 4 quarters sprinkle some olive oil, pinch of salt, some spices if u wish, put in the oven, check every so often till done!

D'z Nutz
08-16-2011, 11:26 PM
I like watching Best Recipes Ever. Not that I ever plan on making any of the food :D

eCLHHgQ29CU

sillysod
08-16-2011, 11:49 PM

100% agree.

I cook a lot. I love it. I try different recipies all the time some are good, some suck but allrecipies.com is a great website for recipes.

Good real down south jumbo, genuine mexican fish tacos and even polish potato pancakes :drool: just follow the recipies.

I've been fortunate enough that my uncle is a 5 star chef in Cleveland and has showed me a lot. The first thing i learned is that almost everyone overcooks food. -- you are better to under cook something a little and then fire it back on the grill for a few minutes than over cook it.

JfuckinC
08-16-2011, 11:51 PM
fuck shes like my dream wife, cute petite brunette that can coooooook! :drool:

BigDannyCool
08-17-2011, 12:06 AM
superstore has cooking lessons

max_boost
08-17-2011, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

I can make things on the BBQ... steaks, burgers, cedar planked salmon, etc... basically anything that you just flip and put sauce on.

I'm with you on learning the basics first, which is why I was thinking of taking classes. Even a good book (or preferably a series of videos) on cooking fundamentals would be pretty helpful.

I think I've hit the point where it's no longer acceptable to eat out for every meal just cause I haven't bothered learning how to cook... that being said, the things that I do know how to cook and enjoy eating are few and far between.

Wow that's more than I can do and I work in restaurant but still eat out everyday. :facepalm: :nut:

For whatever reason I just find time to do everything else except learn to cook.

Grogador
08-17-2011, 01:56 AM
Start simple, like pasta and casseroles that you basically pile on and drop into the stove. Learn the difference between frying, boiling, and simmering (hint: the stove is not an on/off appliance). Get your requisite pots, pans, trays and utensils, along with a rice cooker. Cooking isn't difficult, if you can't manage then maybe you can bake me a pretty cake at least? :)

There's a good cooking for teenagers book, but I can't remember the name...

Tik-Tok
08-17-2011, 06:41 AM
Get a wife.

spikerS
08-17-2011, 07:01 AM
i say, expand on what you know already.

You know your way around a BBQ, so expand that. learn how to do beer can chickens, rack of lamb ect.

Even better, invest in a good smoker/grille combo. Smokers are amazing. take longer to cook on, but the meats that come off are so much better, and makes you look like a hero to the girls.

really, after that, learn how to make good garnish. Things like mashed potatoes, steamed veggies, properly cooked pasta ect. They are pretty simple, and always go well with what you make on the smoker or BBQ.

By learning garnish prep, it will naturally lead you to become more comfortable in the kitchen, and you will find yourself cooking more. And don't be afraid to just throw random shit together, it is how i found one of my fav 1 pot dishes. Kraft dinner, cream of mushroom soup and a can of tuna. sounds disgusting, but I like it LOL.

Neil4Speed
08-17-2011, 07:40 AM
Just to re-iterate some of the things listed here -

Allrecipes.com is a good site for sure. Try this recipe for Teryaki Chicken, crazy easy and by far the best tasting teryiaki chicken I have ever had.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-teriyaki-chicken/detail.aspx

Add Cayenne Pepper for a bit more flavour

I have started watching food tv a fair bit, and its great for giving some inspiration. I do like Jamie Oliver's shows and find his recipes to be pretty simple and tasty. I won't lie I was Giada at home allot, trust me, you'll enjoy it.

http://static.thehollywoodgossip.com/images/gallery/giada-de-laurentiis-picture_233x341.jpg

Check out this clip on BBC, I made this dish a little while ago and it also came out awesome.

t1cUwX4Xzt0

+1, to buying a large variety of spices, and herbs (can be frozen) and keeping them stocked

+1, having the right tools on hand makes everything much easier

Lastly, I know your a Geo, cooking is just like doing lab work, but without the reports!

lint
08-17-2011, 08:04 AM
I find Good Eats with Alton Brown great. He goes into the science of cooking so you get a better understanding of what methods to what. A great book is I'm Just Here for the Food http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/158479559X/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=485327511&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1584790830&pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_r=1Z7SYSR687DBGATHVGN3

calgarygts
08-17-2011, 08:26 AM
That is exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks man, I'm going to sign up tomorrow. Looks like Sept13-Oct11 is full, is that the one you're in?

http://register.sait.ca/saitApp/calendar/coned/courseContent.jsp?calendarType=coned&courseCode=COOK-130&startTerm=000000

I'm in the November one - I tried to switch to the september start but it was full. Hopefully see you there!

Euro_Trash
08-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Has anyone done a couples cooking class in Calgary? The wife and I would be interested in trying something like that

DENZILDON
08-17-2011, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

http://static.thehollywoodgossip.com/images/gallery/giada-de-laurentiis-picture_233x341.jpg

soooo beautiful! Only problem when I watch her show.... my concentration goes to her boobies! lol!

Mibz
08-17-2011, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Grogador
you can bake me a pretty cake I hear it's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake.

Guillermo
08-17-2011, 09:45 AM
It sounds like you're interested in cooking, which is by far the most important thing you need to become good at it.

I would recommend a lot of reading and experimenting (i.e. trying things to get experience, even if you don't know WTF you're doing). Get a couple of great cookbooks, and make sure to read the other stuff in there aside from just the recipes; good books have a lot of additional information like what the difference between a stock and broth is, etc..

I would suggest you get a copy of the Joy of Cooking 75th anniversary edition. it's a great basic book that every kitchen should have. America's Test Kitchen also has some good books that teach technique, although they are nowhere as encyclopedic at Joy. if you like authentic Mexican food, Rick Bayless has some great books that also have a lot of additional info besides just recipes.

as others have mentioned, allrecipes.com is good. I would also add epicurious.com to a list of websites.

sdevils15
08-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash
Has anyone done a couples cooking class in Calgary? The wife and I would be interested in trying something like that

The girlfriend and i did the Cookbook Co class and it was really fun plus the food was wicked. I believe you can also bring your own wine there as well.

Tik-Tok
08-17-2011, 11:35 AM
Another fun way to learn... befriend a member of Les Marmitons, and beg them to bring you as a guest. Also requires a strong liver, as it's basically a drinking club, that involves culinary cooking :rofl:

Amysicle
08-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by lint
I find Good Eats with Alton Brown great. He goes into the science of cooking so you get a better understanding of what methods to what. A great book is I'm Just Here for the Food http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/158479559X/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=485327511&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1584790830&pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_r=1Z7SYSR687DBGATHVGN3 +1 Alton Brown is great for technique.

His older cookbooks read like textbooks and are categorized by cooking methods.

Euro_Trash
08-18-2011, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Another fun way to learn... befriend a member of Les Marmitons, and beg them to bring you as a guest. Also requires a strong liver, as it's basically a drinking club, that involves culinary cooking :rofl:

Never heard of that before, but took a look at the website - that looks awesome! Need to find one of these guys haha

BrknFngrs
08-18-2011, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by sdevils15

The girlfriend and i did the Cookbook Co class and it was really fun plus the food was wicked. I believe you can also bring your own wine there as well.

:werd: I attended one of their classes for a work team building exercise; was a really good time and would definitely go back.

Pinner
08-19-2011, 12:14 PM
NSFW (language)

Papercuts has about 100 recipes for you to learn. ;) http://www.youtube.com/user/papercuts777

Eating is one of the most basic needs for life, the fact a lot of people don't know how to feed themselves or their loved ones is a major failing of our society IMO.

The ill health effects and high cost of not feeding yourself is a very costly shortcoming of this generation.

Sasuke_Kensai
08-19-2011, 12:34 PM
I'm by no means a good cook - I rarely follow recipes, but I can sometimes make pretty good guesses at what flavours and textures might work well together. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

When you go out to eat (at least at a higher end restaurant), try and identify the flavours in each bite and guess what spices/techniques were used. Then try it at home. Maybe you can make something with just basil in it, or whatever, to get a taste for just basil. Learn how salty/sweet/sour/spicy complement each other in different scenarios.

My point is, if you do this in additon to everything else above, etc. - you might end up much more well-rounded and flexible (modify recipes, create your own), and won't get *as* "caught with your pants down" when you don't have an ingredient for a recipe.

It'll probably be more time consuming for sure though. Guess in the end it all comes down to experience and the will to learn.

I've also found that, studying nutrition and what nutrients synergize with each other helps too. A lot of food combinations where the nutrients synergize tend to taste good as well.

Gibson
08-20-2011, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
I hear it's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake.

If the way is hazy, you gotta do the cooking by the book. WHAT?

When I moved out at 19 I discovered I really enjoyed cooking and have tried a bunch of different things. It's not hard to buy a bunch of fresh veggies, a little bit of meat and stir fry it up for a basic meal. I don't understand pre-made meals. They taste like shit, they aren't good for you and they're expensive as balls. Add to that the fact you get to make your own damn food which can be rewarding when you make something tasty and I've never bothered with pre-made stuff. I don't even buy KD.

This all being said, my mom brought me up right. She was an amazing cook and we always ate really well.

Guillermo
08-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Gibson

I don't understand pre-made meals. They taste like shit, they aren't good for you and they're expensive as balls. Add to that the fact you get to make your own damn food which can be rewarding when you make something tasty and I've never bothered with pre-made stuff.

exactly. :thumbsup:

LollerBrader
08-21-2011, 10:44 AM

I think learning to cook is more than that... It's like giving a guy a woodworking plan without actually showing him how to use a router. The outcome will be better with a skilled foundation.

I'm not a great cook, but lived with one... and just watching him was a revelation. The little things that most of us overlook, that make a world of difference.

I suggest a cooking class would be the best place to start. I'm sure there's no lack of them around the city.

Edit: I just finished preparing a Moroccan Chicken Tajine for the family. Took 20 mins to prepare, will cook for 8 hours, and feed us for two days..

Guillermo
08-21-2011, 10:59 AM
^^learning is about trial-and-error. don't try and dissuade somebody by saying that you can't learn by reading and trying - that's STUPID. :facepalm:

LollerBrader
08-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo
^^learning is about trial-and-error. don't try and dissuade somebody by saying that you can't learn by reading and trying - that's STUPID. :facepalm:

Trial and error has its place. Unless one is an infinite monkey, a little foundational training will go a long ways to decreasing the error rate. As Kant said: “Practice without theory is blind... "

Guillermo
08-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by LollerBrader

Trial and error has its place. Unless one is an infinite monkey, a little foundational training will go a long ways to decreasing the error rate. As Kant said: “Practice without theory is blind... "

keep digging :rolleyes:

Sasuke_Kensai
08-22-2011, 09:53 AM
^I'd say practice is the better path if you have to choose only one (between practice/theory), but why not do practice *and* theory?

If you just practice and practice without thinking afterwards about what you did wrong and what you could do better, you'll likely commit the same mistakes again even if your technique improves. Why not make the practice as efficient as possible with even a little bit of root understanding?

He never said you can't learn how to cook by just trying - just that there'll be a better result with a little bit of thought behind it.

Guillermo
08-22-2011, 09:59 AM
LollerBrader's argument wasn't about "theory" (whatever that means). He was trying to argue that "learning to cook is more" than reading and trying, and that you can't learn without having someone show you how to do it.

He didn't mention anything about what he calls "theory" until his second post, which is completely off base and not consistent with his initial statement, since obviously theory can be learned by reading OR having someone show you. clearly he doesn't know wtf fuck he's talking about.

I've learned almost everything I know (both cooking-wise, and professionally) by reading. telling someone that they can't learn something by reading STUPID, as I said before. :banghead:

Sasuke_Kensai
08-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Ah - I think it's miscommunication and different definitions.

I consider the "theory" part and "reading", as understanding the fundamentals of taste, technique, and such. So I guess, learning the reasoning behind everything and *why* this and that ingredient are used in a particular recipe. Whereas reading a recipe and doing it I would consider the action/practice part.

But I kind of misread both of your posts and inserted my own thoughts above which don't have much relevance.

What I still see as far as LollerBrader's suggestion though - you *can* cook just by trial-and-error, but you'll learn faster (and may ultimately perform better in the end) if you can cut down on some of the initial errors by having someone show you tricks. Then when you do your own trial and error *later*, you can apply those same tricks, avoid some of the errors you might have done, and start at a much further level.

Everyone learns differently though, some will probably thrive with no learning structure at all, and some will learn nothing by going through just trial and error (they'll keep making the same mistakes until someone explicitly tells them their mistakes)

chengj
08-22-2011, 02:43 PM
+2 for Alton Brown/Good Eats
- He explains a lot of the technique, theory while still being entertaining.

Join http://cooking.stackexchange.com
- They're pretty good for answering technique questions, and helping you walk through recipes. Search on there too. I think there is a similar question answered with additional resources.

Vagabond142
08-22-2011, 07:19 PM
One of the biggest things that a lot of people glaze over is:

THE BASICS.

Learn how to dice veggies with a knife, not a food processor. Use a sharp knife, keep it sharpened. Spices and herbs should accent, not overpower.

And honestly, sometimes the simplest of meals are the best. Rice and steamed broccoli with a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds = omfg tasty and super healthy. Prep time is all of 5 minutes, cooking time is as long as your rice takes to make :P

Basics, basics, basics. THEN start into the fancy stuff, once you got the basics :)

LollerBrader
08-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Sasuke_Kensai
Ah - I think it's miscommunication and different definitions.

What I still see as far as LollerBrader's suggestion though - you *can* cook just by trial-and-error, but you'll learn faster (and may ultimately perform better in the end) if you can cut down on some of the initial errors by having someone show you tricks. Then when you do your own trial and error *later*, you can apply those same tricks, avoid some of the errors you might have done, and start at a much further level.

You've hit the nail on the head.

Those that think they can learn all they need from a book, or the interweb, will continue to find mastery elusive.

For them, Good enough will have to be... good enough.

LollerBrader
08-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by chengj
+2 for Alton Brown/Good Eats
- He explains a lot of the technique, theory while still being entertaining.

Absolutely agree... It's a show really made for men who never learned how to cook.

As an aside, I think cooking one's way into a woman's pants is a highly overlooked strategy. My aforementioned roommate made it the staple of his womanizing strategy, and it seemed to work well for him.

flipstah
12-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Experiment recipes that you saw on TV.

Such as this:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/394047_10150472665759820_513459819_8396664_1177009517_n.jpg

Whadddupp, apple-braised chicken!? Such a gwai lo recipe but I did it! lolol.

Neil4Speed
12-21-2011, 08:27 AM
^ Looks great man!

I would recommend an aspiring bachelor cook to watch Jamie Olivers 30 Minute meals. Shows how easy it is to put together a full out meal, and can give some good inspiration and ideas.

Oh yeah, and this :)

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/LCLOnline/products.jsp?type=details&catIds=cat340019&productId=17101

Unreal stuff.

hurrdurr
12-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Some Memories of Szechwan fried up with stirfry veggies, noodles, chicken with some chili peppers and Treasures of Thailand is a fucking explosion and easy as fuck too

Disoblige
12-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
Rice and steamed broccoli with a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds = omfg tasty and super healthy.
Not even a little sauce or chicken at least? Doesn't sound very "omfg tasty" to me..

CanmoreOrLess
12-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Learn the basics, I kid you not my wife will not preheat an oven (unless I bust her on it), leaves frozen food (chicken strips) out while waiting for the oven to get to the right temp (takes 15 minutes) and has no idea about the grain direction on meat. I grew up in a different home, I am hopeless at a BBQ, something I'm working on in 2012.... need a class, video or book.

As my mother said last Thanksgiving "You cannot overcook turkey". Want a bet? You need a gravy chaser just to open an airway. Always have a full glass of wine at close reach, prelube the throat, eat meat, chase and repeat.

Chicken never pink, pork can be pink, beef is best medium rare to rare.

Meat needs to "rest" for up to 15 minutes after cooking (leave the Mo Fo alone). This is so important.

A dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp knife, buy quality kitchen tools like knives and you are set for life.

Learn to sharpen your knives, place I like in Calgary for learning this and for getting my $$$ Japanese and German knives done right for up to $15: http://knifewear.com/

Knifewear classes: http://knifewear.com/classes.asp

Learning to cook ought to be as important as math in school. I cannot remember the last time I figured out the meeting point of two trains leaving different cities at the same time. I cooked this morning and expect another session this afternoon, this will continue for the rest of my life.

BigDL
12-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess

Meat needs to "rest" for up to 15 minutes after cooking (leave the Mo Fo alone). This is so important.

Easiest way to screw up something you spent a long time cooking. As the man said, let the meat rest.

skd
12-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Cooking is so much fun!! But it's tiring. I'd say the best way to start is with the easy stuff, like pasta and such. after you get a hang of it you realize cooking's pretty simple and you get a hang of what tastes good with what. there's an app for the iphone/ipad called all recipes which is really handy. it's all simple things to cook. try there!

CapnCrunch
12-21-2011, 01:03 PM
foodgawker.com has some awesome recipes.

sputnik
12-21-2011, 01:21 PM

I wouldn't call this "successful cooking" either.

I know lots of people that can heat meat on a BBQ to the point where it is edible (barely) but it isn't a guarantee to actually be good.

Tips for BBQing.

- Meat (any meat) goes on at the grill room temperature. Put it on the counter for 30-60 minutes minimum before putting it on the grill. If not you risk uneven cooking.

- Only flip ANY meat just once. Cook one side and then the other. Stop playing with your meat on the BBQ.

- When cooking prime cuts (tenderloin, striploin, ribeye etc) season your meat with little more than salt and pepper. NEVER add sauce while it is on the BBQ. Prime cuts of beef should never be done more than medium. If you like medium-well or well steaks, buy a sirloin steak.

- When cooking chicken or pork, the meat WILL stick to the grill. If it is still stuck, it is not ready to be flipped.

- Salmon should be pink and moist in the middle. It should NOT be too dry and flaky. Adding liquid to the salmon does not make it more moist.

- Pork tenderloin is the most underrated cut of meat. $5-7 each and they are super tender and will feed 2 people easily. Just learn how to remove the silver skin (youtube it).

- Beer can chickens are a waste of beer. Sure they are fun, but the beer does nothing. People will tell you that it makes the meat more moist, but it is a lie. Drink the beer while BBQing and put an onion or apple in the chicken instead.

- Grill your veggies. Asparagus, peppers, onion and mushrooms are GREAT on the grill. Toss them in Italian dressing (or something similar) and cook them.

- Potatoes do NOT need to be wrapped in foil. Crispy skin and charred spots is much nicer on a potato. Add butter and seasoning when you eat it.

flipstah
12-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

I wouldn't call this "successful cooking" either.

I know lots of people that can heat meat on a BBQ to the point where it is edible (barely) but it isn't a guarantee to actually be good.

Tips for BBQing.

- Meat (any meat) goes on at the grill room temperature. Put it on the counter for 30-60 minutes minimum before putting it on the grill. If not you risk uneven cooking.

- Only flip ANY meat just once. Cook one side and then the other. Stop playing with your meat on the BBQ.

- When cooking prime cuts (tenderloin, striploin, ribeye etc) season your meat with little more than salt and pepper. NEVER add sauce while it is on the BBQ. Prime cuts of beef should never be done more than medium. If you like medium-well or well steaks, buy a sirloin steak.

- When cooking chicken or pork, the meat WILL stick to the grill. If it is still stuck, it is not ready to be flipped.

- Salmon should be pink and moist in the middle. It should NOT be too dry and flaky. Adding liquid to the salmon does not make it more moist.

- Pork tenderloin is the most underrated cut of meat. $5-7 each and they are super tender and will feed 2 people easily. Just learn how to remove the silver skin (youtube it).

- Beer can chickens are a waste of beer. Sure they are fun, but the beer does nothing. People will tell you that it makes the meat more moist, but it is a lie. Drink the beer while BBQing and put an onion or apple in the chicken instead.

- Grill your veggies. Asparagus, peppers, onion and mushrooms are GREAT on the grill. Toss them in Italian dressing (or something similar) and cook them.

- Potatoes do NOT need to be wrapped in foil. Crispy skin and charred spots is much nicer on a potato. Add butter and seasoning when you eat it.

Golden rules to live by. :)

btimbit
12-23-2011, 06:52 PM
Learn the basics, I kid you not my wife will not preheat an oven (unless I bust her on it), leaves frozen food (chicken strips) out while waiting for the oven to get to the right temp (takes 15 minutes) and has no idea about the grain direction on meat. I grew up in a different home, I am hopeless at a BBQ, something I'm working on in 2012.... need a class, video or book.

As my mother said last Thanksgiving "You cannot overcook turkey". Want a bet? You need a gravy chaser just to open an airway. Always have a full glass of wine at close reach, prelube the throat, eat meat, chase and repeat.

Chicken never pink, pork can be pink, beef is best medium rare to rare.

A dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp knife, buy quality kitchen tools like knives and you are set for life.

Learn to sharpen your knives, place I like in Calgary for learning this and for getting my $$$ Japanese and German knives done right for up to $15: http://knifewear.com/

Knifewear classes: http://knifewear.com/classes.asp

Learning to cook ought to be as important as math in school. I cannot remember the last time I figured out the meeting point of two trains leaving different cities at the same time. I cooked this morning and expect another session this afternoon, this will continue for the rest of my life.

:thumbsup: If you read these two posts again and you're already a better cook than most people. Also, +1 for knifewear, got some stones from them a while back and the guys there are great.

Originally posted by dj_rice

I actually took that PCK course back in the day when I thought I wanted to be a chef. You did learn ALOT about culinary arts and techniques but I think this course is a lil too extensive and expensive for you if you just want to learn how to cook. Since I've taken this course, I speak from experience and in no way did I learn how to cook from taking that program. I already had the know-how to cook from taking Home Ec in junior high/high school and PCK just hones and develops your skills further.

So I would not recommend taking the PCK course just to learn how to cook.

PCK... I have mixed feelings about that course. Every guy we bring on who took the PCK course ends up being a total meathead that doesn't last a month. It really seems like it's better for people who just have an interest in learning how to cook without making a career out of it, which is why it's such a shame that it's as expensive and extensive as it is.

If you give half a damn about cooking, you're halfway there. Don't cut corners, don't rush, and don't be afraid to experiment. Take the time to invest in the proper tools, doesn't have to be top of the line. Biggest thing, is have fun with it

Gibson
01-03-2012, 03:30 PM

I've cooked for myself ever since I moved out and this is the first time I've heard this. Any particular reason why? And is this once it's taken off the heat or can you finish cooking your meal and then let it sit for a few minutes on low heat or something?

lint
01-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Gibson
I've cooked for myself ever since I moved out and this is the first time I've heard this. Any particular reason why? And this is this once it's taken off the heat or can you finish cooking your meal and then let it sit for minutes on low heat or something?

so the juices can migrate back into the meat

flipstah
01-03-2012, 10:38 PM
The most versatile knife in your whole arsenal is the cleaver.

What can't(!) it do :thumbsup:

msommers
01-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Resting meat is key but depends entirely on what you're cooking, how hot it was and how big the piece of meat is. Unless you're having a huge fucking steak, 15min to rest is a little excessive.

There is a reason why salt and pepper are so popular. Rock salt is my preference, as is uncracked pepper. Just know what moderation means.

The biggest, and I mean the biggest thing to learning how to cook is using quality ingredients. If you start out with shit, it doesn't matter how you cook it, it's still shit.

I'm always shocked to hear that people don't know how to cook. It's one of the things required for you survive and people don't care or eat premade, microwaveable t shit. Life's too short to eat shitty food.

nj2Type-S
06-21-2012, 10:47 PM
bump!

for the guys who were supposed to take course at sait, could you please give some feedback? also, where else can i take lessons?

i have ZERO cooking skills, lol.

MrSector9
06-22-2012, 05:11 PM
j2HQ-G2huRQ

A|pine
07-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Super_Geo,

I don't think you need to attend SAIT to learn fundamentals of cooking. I went to school at U of C and always in the back of my mind I was thinking of switching it up and going into cooking. Cooking has become a hobby and passion of mine since. A book I swear by right now that taught me a bunch of fundamentals is Rhulman's Twenty. I am still combing through this book and trying all the different recipes. He has great reasoning and bright brilliant step by step pictures for some recipes. This book is about the basics, he has chapters dedicated to single ingredients, for example:

salt
sugar
eggs
butter

He really breaks it down very well and discusses different points like substitutes for seasoning and acid. It is tedious, but you'll find that the only way to make real genuine delicious food is at the ingredients itself. There is a reason why prep work takes so long (chefs start their days 6-7 am prepping and cutting vegetables and preparing stocks). It wasn't until I began reading his book did I begin researching local producers and specialty ingredients.

Not to say you can't whip up a delicious meal in under 45 minutes or even 20 minutes. Food can be as simple and complex as you want which is why I really enjoy this book because it goes into both sides of the experience.

Little side note if you're into famous foodies, Rhulman is affiliated with the famous chef named Thomas Keller. Keller owns and cooks at an acclaimed restaurant in California called The French Laundry. Now there is also a book written by him also titled The French Laundry. Rhulman collaborated with Keller on this book. What has further popularized the French Laundry and pushed it out into mainstream media was Anthony Bourdain. He's the guy from No Reservations or a Chef's tour.

D'z Nutz
07-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Start with the basics. Here's how to cook an egg.

cCB2B1YAIt8

.... What were we talking about again?