PDA

View Full Version : Rented a Mustang GT for 3 days...

scary_perry
08-17-2011, 10:08 PM
... holy fuck I never want to drive another car again.

That V8 is simply sick. Mine was a convertible and the weather during my trip was fantastic.

Budget has some crazy deal right now in Vancouver where you can get the Mustang convertible for $48/day and the GT for $59 day. Beats the hell out of the Yaris/Accent I usually get.

The low rumble of the engine is crazy - that beats the hell out of the Nissan V6 engines I have been driving for a few years.

I need to figure out how to fit one of these into my fleet.

Sugarphreak
08-17-2011, 10:35 PM

heavyD
08-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Yep. Dollar for dollar nothing right now really comes close as the GT with Brembo option is essentially a poor man's M3. Even the build quality is very solid. I've yet to hear a squeak or rattle or have any rock chips in the paint.

Tik-Tok
08-18-2011, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
Even the build quality is very solid. I've yet to hear a squeak or rattle or have any rock chips in the paint.

:rofl:

You've had it for 3 whole months wait another year before you compliment the quality, lol. Don't get me wrong, I really hope they improved on it since mine (2005), but I'd be shitting my pants if I heard squeeks in less than 3 months, or got rock chips without it even being winter yet.

94_S14
08-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

:rofl:

or got rock chips without it even being winter yet.

Drive down deerfoot, behind a shit hole garbage truck... Actually just drive down deerfoot...

Although i do agree, why would you hear a squeak or a rattle on a new car? :facepalm: I would think that Fords should be able to withstand squeaks and rattles before the engine even breaks in ;)

captain134
08-18-2011, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by scary_perry
... holy fuck I never want to drive another car again.

That V8 is simply sick. Mine was a convertible and the weather during my trip was fantastic.

Budget has some crazy deal right now in Vancouver where you can get the Mustang convertible for $48/day and the GT for $59 day. Beats the hell out of the Yaris/Accent I usually get.

The low rumble of the engine is crazy - that beats the hell out of the Nissan V6 engines I have been driving for a few years.

I need to figure out how to fit one of these into my fleet.

It is funny you posted this. I rented the exact same car last weekend and I have the same things to say about it. It made my mini vacation ALOT better.

A790
08-18-2011, 08:46 AM
I have an '05 GT with 52k on the clock and I don't hear any squeaks or rattles yet. :)

Chester
08-18-2011, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by 94_S14

Although i do agree, why would you hear a squeak or a rattle on a new car? :facepalm:....

I'm guessing you guys have never ridden in a Subaru....

94boosted
08-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I am watching these things dominate even in Autocross events.

Really? Which events? I haven’t seen any 5.0's at any of the SASC or CSCC events this season and last year when I saw one run at an SASC event it definitely wasn't dominating anything. They are an amazing track car but they are still quite bulky for auto-x IMO. :dunno:

heavyD
08-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Chester

I'm guessing you guys have never ridden in a Subaru....

That's what I mean as Tik-Tok probably hasn't been in enough newer cars with hard plastic interiors to understand what I'm talking about. The new EVO's and STI's I test drove had interior rattling over bumps brand new and interior rattles is one of the most common complaints on new car ownership surveys. A guy at work last year who took delivery of his new 2010 WRX the night before asked me to come outside and help recommend where he should get 3M applied and we discovered three rock chips on the front of his car. This city is not paint friendly so bad paint get's exposed quickly.

Mitsu3000gt
08-18-2011, 09:42 AM
New cars can definitely have rattles & squeaks. Nearly every brand new Domestic I've driven squeaked/rattled over rough road or railroad tracks during the test drive, and also the Jaguar's I've driven (haven't driven the new ones yet though). Reminds me of the time I test drove a brand new Chevy Venture and the dashboard literally separated from the car during normal driving. It just popped off. As for the Japanese cars, the worst offender's I've experienced recently has been the Mazda 3. So far German cars have been some of the best I've experienced (YMMV), and shockingly my lowly Honda Civic won't make a single squeak or rattle no matter what the road is like - impressed so far. My 2000 Audi S4 didn't have a SINGLE squeak/rattle when I sold it 2 years ago, neither did my 2006 S4.

Tik-Tok
08-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

That's what I mean as Tik-Tok probably hasn't been in enough newer cars with hard plastic interiors to understand what I'm talking about.

You're right, I haven't. It was my first brand new car (my newest one prior was 16 years old), and I just couldn't believe I had squeeks/rattles after only a year. Especially when my 23 year old Merc.Cougar never did, nor did my 25 year old Accord.

It drove me nuts enough to trade it in for a used Audi.

01RedDX
08-18-2011, 09:48 AM

Sugarphreak
08-18-2011, 09:50 AM

HiTempguy1
08-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
My 2000 Audi S4 didn't have a SINGLE squeak/rattle when I sold it 2 years ago, neither did my 2006 S4.

THe only problem I've ever had with VAG products (in regards to rattles/squeaks) is that there always ends up being ONE, JUST ONE squeak or rattle that comes from somewhere within the dash :banghead: Otherwise, most VAG products might as well be carved from a billet they tend to be so solid.

My jdm STi had no rattles when I got it off the boat. After driving it for 3 months in Edmonton? FML, the car sounds like it is falling apart. You don't realize how rough our roads are until you drive a car designed for japanland/europe and you drive it here :cry:

Mitsu3000gt
08-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

THe only problem I've ever had with VAG products (in regards to rattles/squeaks) is that there always ends up being ONE, JUST ONE squeak or rattle that comes from somewhere within the dash :banghead: Otherwise, most VAG products might as well be carved from a billet they tend to be so solid.

My jdm STi had no rattles when I got it off the boat. After driving it for 3 months in Edmonton? FML, the car sounds like it is falling apart. You don't realize how rough our roads are until you drive a car designed for japanland/europe and you drive it here :cry:

Yeah the roads here truly are garbage. Even the ones I've been on in the USA have been head and shoulders above any Calgary road. If your car is ever going to develop a rattle at all, Calgary will make it happen. I guess Edmonton is the same based on your experience.

corsvette
08-18-2011, 10:05 AM
I guarantee you've never heard rattles untill you drive a C4 Corvette, when i had mine it would rattle sitting in the driveway with the engine running, and it was a later C4 with only 31,000 miles, i'd hate to try one from the 80's. The new ones are much better though;)

ercchry
08-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
My only gripe is that the new Camaro can squeeze similar numbers out of a V6.

ummm... no, they dont :nut:

2011 and up camaro vs mustang are within 15hp of each other in both the v6 and the v8

Mitsu3000gt
08-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by corsvette
I guarantee you've never heard rattles untill you drive a C4 Corvette, when i had mine it would rattle sitting in the driveway with the engine running, and it was a later C4 with only 31,000 miles, i'd hate to try one from the 80's. The new ones are much better though;)

Oh that reminds me. BY FAR the worst offender for squeaks and rattles I've ever experienced was a 2009 Corvette. It was a rental car in San Diego and it was nearly brand new with only a few thousand miles on it. I truly didn't feel safe in that thing at highway speeds as it literally sounded like it was going to fall apart. Obviously it wasn't actually going to fall apart, but it was so different from what I'm used to it made me uneasy. Never in my life have I driven a more poorly built car, but it was fast. I had it for a week. It also had a god awful, lethargic automatic transmission but in a rental you don't have a choice.

Revhard
08-18-2011, 10:36 AM
I have driven a few 5.0L Gt's, and they are great. When it came time to spend my money though, I just couldn't get over the look. It's been around for a while with little change, and the Camaro came with better options. Paddle shifters, HUD,etc.
In the end it was personal, and both cars are fun.
I really like my Camaro, so fun to drive, or just cruise.
Just need more power...:devil:
The mustang is pretty much the best rental car out there, for sure grab one when you travel. They are alot of fun to fly around in vs. the regular rental fodder.

94boosted
08-18-2011, 10:56 AM

I saw a few of them run here last year, amazing runs. Don't have a car anymore so I havn't been out at all this year though.

However I was talking more about the big leagues, take these examples from major autocross events in 2011:

12th place, FS
http://www.scca-chicago.com/solo/indexes/results/2011_tour_Houston.pdf
12th place, CP
http://www.scca-chicago.com/solo/indexes/results/2011_tour_Atlanta.pdf
21st place, CP
http://www.scca-chicago.com/solo/indexes/results/2011_tour_Lincoln.pdf
8th place, ESP
http://www.scca-chicago.com/solo/indexes/results/2011_tour_Delaware.pdf
25th place, CP
http://www.scca-chicago.com/solo/indexes/results/2011_tour_Blytheville.pdf
21st place, CP
http://www.scca-chicago.com/solo/indexes/results/2011_tour_Toledo.pdf
12th & 20th place, CP
http://www.scca-chicago.com/solo/indexes/results/2011_tour_Colorado.pdf

It doesn't take you long to realize the lists are dotted with people competing rather successfully with new Mustangs.

All of the links you provided except for one are for modified older mustangs and not the 2011+ GT 5.0's which is what I thought we were talking about. :dunno: What did you race last year?

Oh that reminds me. BY FAR the worst offender for squeaks and rattles I've ever experienced was a 2009 Corvette. It was a rental car in San Diego and it was nearly brand new with only a few thousand miles on it. I truly didn't feel safe in that thing at highway speeds as it literally sounded like it was going to fall apart. Obviously it wasn't actually going to fall apart, but it was so different from what I'm used to it made me uneasy. Never in my life have I driven a more poorly built car, but it was fast. I had it for a week. It also had a god awful, lethargic automatic transmission but in a rental you don't have a choice.

Seriously....Fuck..... I have been thinking very seriously about picking up an 09 Z51 for a while now. The C6 Vette's I've been in didn't rattle much if at all.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-18-2011, 11:01 AM
If your buying a used Vette, id stump up the extra $10000-15000 for a C6 Z06 over a C6 with the Z51 personally.

Waiting for those damn Z06 to come down to $35000ish before I buy.

InRich
08-18-2011, 11:03 AM

mines fine... very very minor rattle and only on really bad roads

01RedDX
08-18-2011, 11:05 AM

ercchry
08-18-2011, 11:09 AM

Didn't know we were talking 2011 exclusively. If you include the first 6 MY's of the current gen, 05-10's had rather wimpy V8's.

we are talking the NEW mustang... pretty sure all i have seen for GTs at rental companies is the 5.0

A790
08-18-2011, 11:12 AM

Didn't know we were talking 2011 exclusively. If you include the first 6 MY's of the current gen, 05-10's had rather wimpy V8's.
Unfortunately the 4.6L V8 is pretty lame compared to the new 5.0. However, it does respond well to mods if you're so inclined, and right now people are fire-saling them out the door to move into the new 5.0 ;)

Personally, I could care less as mine is getting a supercharger :D.

94boosted
08-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
If your buying a used Vette, id stump up the extra $10000-15000 for a C6 Z06 over a C6 with the Z51 personally.

Waiting for those damn Z06 to come down to $35000ish before I buy.

I'm going to be using the Vette as my summer DD aswell as my auto-x car and from everything I've read in reviews and corvette forums the Z51 is much more livable on the street and it is overall a better..err... easier... auto-x car as it's more progressive as opposed to the on/off traction you get from a Z06. You can get an 06-07 Z06 for about the same money as an 09 Z51 i.e. 38-43K down in the states.

01RedDX
08-18-2011, 11:21 AM

Mitsu3000gt
08-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted

Seriously....Fuck..... I have been thinking very seriously about picking up an 09 Z51 for a while now. The C6 Vette's I've been in didn't rattle much if at all.

Not even exaggerating, it was the largest POS I've driven in my life save for maybe an older Cavalier/Sunfire (looks like they share some interior parts, too). I used it every day for a week for quite some time, and San Diego has pretty good roads & interstate. The inside felt and looked like it was built by Fisher Price, the seats were abysmal (zero support and already cracking at a few thousand miles), and the creaks/rattles REALLY put me off, even the slightest uneven pavement would make it rattle like a bucket of bolts. When you shut the doors, it sounded like the car was going to collapse (we had a convertible which I assume is slightly worse than the coupe).

Maybe it's just me, but I personally couldn't stand the feeling of paying that kind of money for something that constantly reminds you how poorly it's made. I like my cars to feel solid over uneven road, and to hear a nice "thud" when I shut a door, not a massive rattle.

Forget the automatic transmission as well, I've driven $20,000 cars that shift faster. All the vette wants to do is get into 6th gear as fast as possible, even if you're driving 30 km/h, then it has to shift down 4 times when you step on it. The "manual" shift buttons were useless because they were so slow to respond. The only positive thing I have to say about the transmission was it rev-matched the down shifts which makes some nice noises as you go down through the gears approaching a stop.

Sure, it's fast and it handles well, but given that is it's sole redeeming quality, I could never see myself owning one. We had the "ZHZ" version.

No disrespect to anyone who owns a Corvette, but I truly didn't like it at all.

94boosted
08-18-2011, 11:52 AM

Not even exaggerating, it was the largest POS I've driven in my life save for maybe an older Cavalier/Sunfire (looks like they share some interior parts, too). I used it every day for a week for quite some time, and San Diego has pretty good roads & interstate. The inside felt and looked like it was built by Fisher Price, the seats were abysmal (zero support and already cracking at a few thousand miles), and the creaks/rattles REALLY put me off, even the slightest uneven pavement would make it rattle like a bucket of bolts. When you shut the doors, it sounded like the car was going to collapse (we had a convertible which I assume is slightly worse than the coupe).

Maybe it's just me, but I personally couldn't stand the feeling of paying that kind of money for something that constantly reminds you how poorly it's made. I like my cars to feel solid over uneven road, and to hear a nice "thud" when I shut a door, not a massive rattle.

Forget the automatic transmission as well, I've driven $20,000 cars that shift faster. All the vette wants to do is get into 6th gear as fast as possible, even if you're driving 30 km/h, then it has to shift down 4 times when you step on it. The "manual" shift buttons were useless because they were so slow to respond. The only positive thing I have to say about the transmission was it rev-matched the down shifts which makes some nice noises as you go down through the gears approaching a stop.

Sure, it's fast and it handles well, but given that is it's sole redeeming quality, I could never see myself owning one. We had the "ZHZ" version.

No disrespect to anyone who owns a Corvette, but I truly didn't like it at all.

Thanks for the heads up that's something to consider. I'm sort of used to GM interiors though, and personally don't mind that in order to deliver the power/handling of 6 figure sports cars for half the price they had to cut corners, I think that cutting the corners on the inside is an acceptable trade-off lol. That's what they did with my Cobalt too... everytime I drive it on the street I'm reminded it's an econobox and everytime I race the car I'm reminded where they actually did spend the R&D money. :rofl:

The only one I'm considering is the manual coupe so hopefully that will be a bit better.

Mitsu3000gt
08-18-2011, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the heads up that's something to consider. I'm sort of used to GM interiors though, and personally don't mind that in order to deliver the power/handling of 6 figure sports cars for half the price they had to cut corners, I think that cutting the corners on the inside is an acceptable trade-off lol. That's what they did with my Cobalt too... everytime I drive it on the street I'm reminded it's an econobox and everytime I race the car I'm reminded where they actually did spend the R&D money. :rofl:

The only one I'm considering is the manual coupe so hopefully that will be a bit better.

I'd imagine the manual coupe would be better, you would avoid the tranny annoyances and it is probably a little bit tighter. It wasn't just the interior though, the whole car creaked/rattled at the slightest bump, uneven pavement, or going down a curb at 1km/h. It's like they built the motor then was like....oh shit...we need a body, seats, and an interior too, better whip something up in a week *heads to Cavalier parts bin*.

Like I said, it was fast and fun to drive when you were using the power, but then if you hit a little bump it would make a massive noise and I'd get scared and back off because I didn't feel safe. I've never been in a car that made me nervous about how it was built before, even though I know it wasn't just going to self destruct obviously.

More than once I hit a small bump or whatever and it made such a loud, awful, noise that I actually thought I broke something. I've never had that in a car before.

corsvette
08-18-2011, 12:06 PM

They've come a long way for the Vette interiors, even for 2012 there are some refinements to the dash and new seat options. I can't wait to see the next gen Vette, the $20k Cruze is getting great reviews on its interior (and looks good in person) and all the rest GM's new offerings interiors look great, the Vette should be a tenfold inprovement. I have yet to drive a rattlebox C6, while they may look cheap they seem to be put together well.

Interior is the only real drawback to Vette ownership, and its still not all that bad. The value is there for the performance you get in return.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-18-2011, 12:08 PM

I'm going to be using the Vette as my summer DD aswell as my auto-x car and from everything I've read in reviews and corvette forums the Z51 is much more livable on the street and it is overall a better..err... easier... auto-x car as it's more progressive as opposed to the on/off traction you get from a Z06. You can get an 06-07 Z06 for about the same money as an 09 Z51 i.e. 38-43K down in the states.

You can get Z06 here from $43000 I've seen. I just find the Z51s too tame personally.

Sugarphreak
08-18-2011, 12:10 PM

94boosted
08-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by corsvette

They've come a long way for the Vette interiors, even for 2012 there are some refinements to the dash and new seat options. I can't wait to see the next gen Vette, the $20k Cruze is getting great reviews on its interior (and looks good in person) and all the rest GM's new offerings interiors look great, the Vette should be a tenfold inprovement. I have yet to drive a rattlebox C6, while they may look cheap they seem to be put together well.

Interior is the only real drawback to Vette ownership, and its still not all that bad. The value is there for the performance you get in return.

Yah the new Centenial edition looks incredible inside, we'll see what happens with the C7 but they are definitely on the right track.

You can get Z06 here from $43000 I've seen. I just find the Z51s too tame personally.

You find a 436HP 3200lb car too tame :nut: Jesus how fast is your legacy. JK Lol I know what you mean but the Z06 is just a bit too harsh and unforgiving of a ride for the 95% of the time your using it on the street versus the 5% of the time when your racing it (were it's only 0.1 seconds faster around VIR lol).

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q4/lightning_lap_2011-feature/sortable_times_3a_complete_lightning_lap_times_2006_to_2011_page_8?redirect=no See ranks 21 & 22

Is Cam not there anymore? He was running an 06, I don't think it was modified at all. He was putting down really impressive lap times with that car.

I had an 07' GD3 with RE11's on it, was doing Autocross with SASC pretty regularly right up until they kicked us out of the Casino. Also when Spencer was running the Autocross up at Race City I liked to get out for that once in a while.

My point is that the new-style Mustangs have already been competing well in Autocross; the new ones have an even better chassis and handling than those. Last event I did was up at Deerfoot last summer, a guy had brought out his 2011 GT to try out... he was pretty new to autocross and getting lost so I hopped in to help him out... I am telling you that thing could hold corners like a European sports car.

Yah Cam's there and he is seriously quick, but I am fairly certain that the Hoosiers aren't hurting his times compared to the majority of cars on street tires. ;)

It's too bad we lost Grey Eagle that was such an awesome venue. Fucking old people with nothing better to do than whine :banghead:

The new 5.0 is a serious car all I meant was that from my experiences it isn't dominating the auto-x scene atleast not here in Southern Alberta...not yet anyways.

Cos
08-18-2011, 01:08 PM

Have you driven one? I always thought that until I drove one. Freaking fast.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Have you driven one? I always thought that until I drove one. Freaking fast.

I work for GM :D

whiskas
08-18-2011, 02:12 PM
You guys don't know what a squeaky interior is until you've owned an S2000. Driving down the highway with the top up sounds like the inside of a garden shed in the middle of a hurricane.

I've been lusting over the 5.0 since it came out, I just don't think I could give up the S2000 for it. The Mustang feels like I'm driving a truck.

Sugarphreak
08-18-2011, 03:57 PM

bootybandit
08-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Simple bolt ons LCA, UCA, Panhard bar, off road x-pipe 3 inch exhaust, 3.73 gears, CAI and there 6 speed automatic your in the 12's all day long. Add a E-force Edelbrock supercharger 5 psi pulley and your pushing 550+ to the wheels and hitting high 10's low 11's depending on elevation.